Joe Theismann's Restaurant
1800 A Diagonal Road
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Joe Theismann's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theismanns.com/
- Phone: (703) 739-0777
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Lite Fare menu available after dinner until bar closes late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Luis Aguirre
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Joe Theismann's offers spaces & menus to accommodate parties of 1 to 101. With 35 years of experience & a location within walking distance of the metro & several hotels, the restaurant has become a popular party spot. Frequently hosted gatherings include Rehearsal Dinners, Retirement/Promotion parties, Reunions, Holiday gatherings, Showers & Office Parties of all kinds. In warm weather, a rooftop patio provides receptions way "above the rest". Off-premise catering also available. The party planning team - friendly, efficient and experienced - works with you to create the event you envision.
- Private Party Facilities: Joe Theismann"s extends its 35 year reputation for excellent food in a comfortable & friendly venue to party patrons. Offering a variety of menus & ambiances, located next to metro & hotels, it meets a myriad of private dining expectations. From retirement parties to rehearsal dinners, choose Joe's.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Swenson 8885523095
- Entertainment: Satellite sports: fourteen high definition TV"s showing most major sporting events.
- Cross Street: King Street
- Public Transit: Joe Theismann's Restaurant is well served by public transportation. The King Street Metro train is located across the street on the blue and the yellow lines, only two stops from Reagan Airport. Also across the street are the Amtrak and VRE trains, Alexandria Dash Bus and REX bus stops as well as the free city Tolley.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: With parking very limited in the city of Alexandria, Joe Theismann's has the advantage of a parking garage with three hours free validated parking after 5:00 pm and all day on weekends. Garage valet parking is available for a fee other times and there are plentiful metered street parking spots at the front door. The King Street Metro stop is directly across the street for those who don't want to hunt for parking!
A word from Joe Theismann's Restaurant
Joe Theismann’s Restaurant, “Comfortable, Convenient, Classy & Established” is unique in character & difficult to categorize. For 35 years, it has melded the venues of fine dining, neighborhood grill & sports viewing. Implementing its original concept as a comfortable, friendly dining spot with great food & good value Joe Theismann’s offers what many restaurants don’t, character & personality. Patrons return for food quality, consistency & excellent staff. Although on the cutting edge in TV technology, the high score is for an exceptional dining experience. Not a chain/franchise, menu items are not stamped out, but prepared from scratch for seasonal freshness & customer preference. The range of offerings, Sea Bass in Tomato Basil Butter & Filet Mignon to hearty sandwiches, has survived the competition. The loyal following encompasses daily customers, tourists & local residents. Stop in. Celebrate an event, meet friends for lunch or just drop by for happy hour. Become a regular.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe Theismann's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (34)great for lunch (32)vibrant bar scene (26)fit for foodies (21)great for outdoor dining (20)special occasion (14)hot spot (12)romantic (10)great for brunch (9)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, good service.BIS1VIPDined on 11/18/2014I have lived near this restaurant for 7-years and just discovered that it is a great place to grab dinner last week. We had great service, good food, and the noice level allowed our party of 10 to interact with each other. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. We rolled in as a party of 10, and despite the crowd that arrived before us, we were seated in 15 minutes. Thumbs up to Joe Theismans' staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experience!firsttimeguestDined on 11/11/2014I had a very lovely and enjoyable experience in introducing a friend to this establishment over lunch, which turned into a an extended period of several hours! We enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and accommodations, as well as the food itself. Pricing was reasonable and the menu was sufficiently varied to offer great selections across various types of cuisines. Very highly recommended for a good place to relax and dine in a comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/3/2014Great food, sercive, and price. Will continue to go there when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and funmaewest64Dined on 11/2/2014We always enjoy dining at Joe Theismann's and consider ourselves regulars now. The food is consistently good, service always top, and always an energetic crowd in the bar. I prefer a comfortable booth off the bar for a more festive atmosphere, but the back dining area is always a choice with friends who prefer quiet.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great serviceMissaBDined on 10/31/2014My husband and I went on Halloween night for a nice quiet dinner; it wasn't really crowded and pretty quiet overall. Our waitress was awesome, very helpful and attentive. We enjoyed the crispy duck spring rolls for an appetizer and the waitress was spot on with her recommendation for both the ahi tuna steak and the lamb dish. We both thought the quality of each meat was fantastic. Great spot for evening dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyed myselfJoemanglerDined on 10/31/2014I met my cousin for dinner before a concert. I only give 5 starts if the restaurant is really out there food wise; 4 stars means I loved the place and it's loaded with high end comfort food. The salmon I had was perfectly cooked, I loved that I could substitute risotto for basmati rice, the included salad was a great value, the by the glass wine menu gave me a lot of options including reisling, and the waitron was cordial and never pushy. I could kick myself for not coming here before but I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star Food and ServicefrugaldinerDined on 10/28/2014Great food, reasonable prices, terrific service. Met friends we had not seen in a year, so wanted to be away from the bar crowd noise, and the back room was ideal for catching up and having a delicious dinner. James was a wonderful and patient waiter, as our friends were late arrivals. This has been a great find - came for lunch once and have been back for lunches and dinners, even though we do not live in the area. Noted on this visit that you can sit outside - they have fun tables on the sidewalk.Special Features:
- mikeVIPDined on 10/25/2014A lot more than a sports bar! Outstanding food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with momPromiseDined on 10/24/2014I had a wonderufl time with my mother. The wait staff was great and the food was pretty good. I had the lamb, and my mother the sirloin special (she did not like the burbon/teryaki sauce). The noise level was pretty high especially since our seating was not that far from the bar. I did not like the fact of so many people standing up especially hile eating. Would go back again but it would be a Monday - Thursday night.Special Features:
- Great RestarauntVanceDined on 10/9/2014Have eaten there three times and never had a bad meal. Blackened Mahi over Lobster Risoto was the best. Service is very friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent American MenuHarryVIPDined on 10/7/2014Dining with friend of many years. Wait staff gave graciously plenty of time for us to linger over each course. Special of the night was filet-- excellent! Others at table had seafood and said it was also very good. Perhaps best of all was central location right next to King St Metro. The patio looked inviting but we did not do it...maybe next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewFrozenDined on 10/4/2014All was great that night except it was cold in the restaurant. The A/C kept running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We went during a Nats playoff game so the ambience was a little louder than it would normally be (unless its during a Redskins game). The lighting is romantic, the food is good, but a little pricier than the bigger franchises and the portions are small ($13 for 4 jumbo shrimp wrapped in bacon). Overall a good place, worth the look. BIG beer and wine list. Was thoroughly enjoyable, will go back.Special Features:
- Expected betterGlupDined on 9/25/2014It's a nice sports bar, but the food was tasteless. For example, the ahi appetizer was chewy and bland. Take a note: Outback's ahi app is far better. The salmon and mahi mahi also lacked flavor. Maybe it was just the particular night, but I won't be coming back anytime soon.
- Unbelieveable FindCybizwifeDined on 9/21/2014When you walk in, a sports lovers' dream (TV Screens everywhere). Sports bar/restaurant no big deal, right? Wrong! The food was fantastic. Cooked to perfection. We will return! Patrick was a great waiter. He understood the menu, food preparation and was able to answer our questions. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great serviceWineDineFelineVIPDined on 9/19/2014We really enjoy coming to Theismann's, especially when we have a great server. The food was fantastic and we appreciated the recommendations Evan had for us from the menu and the bar. Overall, it was a very enjoyable night. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my Friend to be thereVeronicaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Grilled salmon, side of garden salad with honey mustard dressing, white roll with honey butter, and glass of white wine. Those are delicious! My friend was there first time and love their foods and drinks.Special Features:
- Great foodl3wwlDined on 9/10/2014Have eaten here about six times and have always had good meals here. Location is nicely convenient via the King St Metro. The duck was delectable and extremely tender. Filet was delicious as well. House wines tasty. Rolls were moist and fluffy. All in all a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much More than. sports BarBoomerVIPDined on 9/10/2014Don't let the name fool you, this is a great restaurant. I have taken a number of business associates to lunch and have always been pleased. The wait staff are great and the good is surprisingly good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spotAlexandriaSoxFanDined on 9/9/2014Some surprisingly creative menu items. Enjoyed our lunch, and very convenient right across from the King Street Metro at the beginning of Old Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat at Joe'sAllanNanceVIPDined on 9/7/2014Our second visit to Theismann's and it was just as we remembered. Smooth drinks, food was wonderful and service was outstanding. Next time we are in Old Town we will eat at Joe's again.Special Features:
- LindaLIndaDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant has wonderful food, great ambience and service, and it is a definite excellent value for the money. The menu offers many out-of-the ordinary options which is a welcome change from most places. It's in a easy-to-get-to area of Alexandria and offers free parking, as well, which is a big plus.Special Features:
- reunionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014We had a great server,,,,,,Ryan. thanks. we will come again.Special Features:
- Great food!BULLDined on 8/31/2014Our family with 4 kids stopped in looking for something better than standard chain restaurant fare--found it at Theisman's! The food was great and the service was prompt and efficient. Would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful dinner with family. The food was very good. The service was excellent. The environment was pleasant and quiet. We definitely recommend and revisit.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a wonderful dinnerarb4youDined on 8/25/2014We enjoyed Crab Cakes and Scallops. Both were prepared and presented wonderfully. Highly recommend both entrees.
- Excellent ChoiceTonyDined on 8/23/2014As a last minute option, we made reservations here and are so glad we did. It's not so much a sports bar as it is a finer dining establishment with great food, presented well, friendly service and reasonable prices. We will definitely be back when we are back in Alexandria.Special Features:
- All Around Good Dining ExperienceKKsTasteBudsDined on 8/23/2014We sat in the outside dining area on a pleasant summer evening. I had the Blackened Ribeye Special and my date had the Filet Mignon. We both at our entire meal (sans a few of the veggies). The steaks were very tasty. The only minor issue was we both asked for medium rare and it was more like medium, but it didn't detract from the taste much as evident by the empty plates. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb DiningHatladyDined on 8/10/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Excellent service and delicious food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!TripDined on 8/8/2014Had a bar section in the front and quiet area in the back. Food was amazingly good; we'll definitely be returning. Make sure you try the pretzle loaf!Special Features:
- Took my Friend to be ThereVeronicaVIPDined on 8/3/2014I took my friend to Joe.T.'s rest. He loved their food, delicious. I'm glad that I took every my friend to come here and enjoy the delicious foods and drink, wonderful. We saw bunch of tourist from hotel to here, wow. Keep it up but YOU must come here! Bathroom is cleaned. Workers is friendly. Very crowd by people. Lot of noise. Big huge flat TVs. This is not for romantic or special occasion but they're families and children. Most of them are from yuppies!Special Features:
- The following 460 reviews are from the Joe Theismann's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Old ReliableDinahVIPDined on 7/30/2014Joe Theismann's remains a reliable destination for burgers, steaks, salads, and bar food. Service can be slow but that's because the place is very popular and usually crowded. The food is nothing special, but it is good, fresh, and filling. We like this place for family get together a because all three generations can find what they like on the extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantabulous!JoeTheismannsDined on 7/27/2014Service was tops and food unbeatable especially the homemade banana nut bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELYVeronicaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love their roasted grilled Salmon and glass of white PG wine! I will coming back there again!Special Features:
- Hail to JoeRichandkellDined on 7/24/2014It's been a while for us but Joe's restaurants have always been a favorite. The menu does not disappoint and the service has always been good. Love the Old Town Alexandria setting. This is a must stop even if you just come from drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite...LivvylynnDined on 7/17/2014This place is a sports bar but it can also be seen as a 3/4 star establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and innovativeHungryVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great starter choices. Hard to choose among delicious entrees and sandwiches. Fish tacos were sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExecllentVeronicaVIPDined on 7/13/2014My friend and I were there. I ordered for grilled salmon, cold ice tea, and hot bread with homemade butter, VERY delicious! I will coming back there AGAIN.Special Features:
- OBX TripBobbyDined on 7/12/2014We had such a great meal here at Joe Thiesman defintely more than just pub grub. I had the roasted duck and it was great. The only problem we had was the service, the waiter (Lewis) was too much of a show boat and did not pay attention to servicing us. Just a little rude at times. But I do not want this to be a bad review just because of one waiter. Joe Theisman is a great place to go we would definitely come here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three For LunchactormannDined on 7/9/2014Three of us, two from out of town. One had pasta, one had duck salad, I had salad and bisque. All was very good. Service had god timing and was friendly.Special Features: