Joe Theismann's Restaurant
1800 A Diagonal Road
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Joe Theismann's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theismanns.com/
- Phone: 7037390777
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Lite Fare menu available after dinner until bar closes late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Luis Aguirre
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Joe Theismann's offers spaces & menus to accommodate parties of 1 to 101. With 35 years of experience & a location within walking distance of the metro & several hotels, the restaurant has become a popular party spot. Frequently hosted gatherings include Rehearsal Dinners, Retirement/Promotion parties, Reunions, Holiday gatherings, Showers & Office Parties of all kinds. In warm weather, a rooftop patio provides receptions way "above the rest". Off-premise catering also available. The party planning team - friendly, efficient and experienced - works with you to create the event you envision.
- Private Party Facilities: Joe Theismann"s extends its 35 year reputation for excellent food in a comfortable & friendly venue to party patrons. Offering a variety of menus & ambiances, located next to metro & hotels, it meets a myriad of private dining expectations. From retirement parties to rehearsal dinners, choose Joe's.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Swenson 8885523095
- Entertainment: Satellite sports: fourteen high definition TV"s showing most major sporting events.
- Cross Street: King Street
- Public Transit: Joe Theismann's Restaurant is well served by public transportation. The King Street Metro train is located across the street on the blue and the yellow lines, only two stops from Reagan Airport. Also across the street are the Amtrak and VRE trains, Alexandria Dash Bus and REX bus stops as well as the free city Tolley.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: With parking very limited in the city of Alexandria, Joe Theismann's has the advantage of a parking garage with three hours free validated parking after 5:00 pm and all day on weekends. Garage valet parking is available for a fee other times and there are plentiful metered street parking spots at the front door. The King Street Metro stop is directly across the street for those who don't want to hunt for parking!
A word from Joe Theismann's Restaurant
Joe Theismann’s Restaurant, “Comfortable, Convenient, Classy & Established” is unique in character & difficult to categorize. For 35 years, it has melded the venues of fine dining, neighborhood grill & sports viewing. Implementing its original concept as a comfortable, friendly dining spot with great food & good value Joe Theismann’s offers what many restaurants don’t, character & personality. Patrons return for food quality, consistency & excellent staff. Although on the cutting edge in TV technology, the high score is for an exceptional dining experience. Not a chain/franchise, menu items are not stamped out, but prepared from scratch for seasonal freshness & customer preference. The range of offerings, Sea Bass in Tomato Basil Butter & Filet Mignon to hearty sandwiches, has survived the competition. The loyal following encompasses daily customers, tourists & local residents. Stop in. Celebrate an event, meet friends for lunch or just drop by for happy hour. Become a regular.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe Theismann's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (49)great for lunch (45)great for outdoor dining (31)vibrant bar scene (29)special occasion (26)great for brunch (21)fit for foodies (20)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (16)romantic (13)scenic view (6)notable wine list (6)Show More
- Enjoyed a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We enjoyed Crab Cakes and Scallops. Both were prepared and presented wonderfully. Highly recommend both entrees.
- Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014As a last minute option, we made reservations here and are so glad we did. It's not so much a sports bar as it is a finer dining establishment with great food, presented well, friendly service and reasonable prices. We will definitely be back when we are back in Alexandria.Special Features:
- All Around Good Dining ExperienceKKsTasteBudsDined on 8/23/2014We sat in the outside dining area on a pleasant summer evening. I had the Blackened Ribeye Special and my date had the Filet Mignon. We both at our entire meal (sans a few of the veggies). The steaks were very tasty. The only minor issue was we both asked for medium rare and it was more like medium, but it didn't detract from the taste much as evident by the empty plates. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb DiningHatladyDined on 8/10/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Excellent service and delicious food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!TripDined on 8/8/2014Had a bar section in the front and quiet area in the back. Food was amazingly good; we'll definitely be returning. Make sure you try the pretzle loaf!Special Features:
- Took my Friend to be ThereVeronicaVIPDined on 8/3/2014I took my friend to Joe.T.'s rest. He loved their food, delicious. I'm glad that I took every my friend to come here and enjoy the delicious foods and drink, wonderful. We saw bunch of tourist from hotel to here, wow. Keep it up but YOU must come here! Bathroom is cleaned. Workers is friendly. Very crowd by people. Lot of noise. Big huge flat TVs. This is not for romantic or special occasion but they're families and children. Most of them are from yuppies!Special Features:
- Old ReliableDinahVIPDined on 7/30/2014Joe Theismann's remains a reliable destination for burgers, steaks, salads, and bar food. Service can be slow but that's because the place is very popular and usually crowded. The food is nothing special, but it is good, fresh, and filling. We like this place for family get together a because all three generations can find what they like on the extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantabulous!JoeTheismannsDined on 7/27/2014Service was tops and food unbeatable especially the homemade banana nut bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELYVeronicaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love their roasted grilled Salmon and glass of white PG wine! I will coming back there again!Special Features:
- Hail to JoeRichandkellDined on 7/24/2014It's been a while for us but Joe's restaurants have always been a favorite. The menu does not disappoint and the service has always been good. Love the Old Town Alexandria setting. This is a must stop even if you just come from drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite...LivvylynnDined on 7/17/2014This place is a sports bar but it can also be seen as a 3/4 star establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and innovativeHungryVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great starter choices. Hard to choose among delicious entrees and sandwiches. Fish tacos were sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExecllentVeronicaVIPDined on 7/13/2014My friend and I were there. I ordered for grilled salmon, cold ice tea, and hot bread with homemade butter, VERY delicious! I will coming back there AGAIN.Special Features:
- OBX TripBobbyDined on 7/12/2014We had such a great meal here at Joe Thiesman defintely more than just pub grub. I had the roasted duck and it was great. The only problem we had was the service, the waiter (Lewis) was too much of a show boat and did not pay attention to servicing us. Just a little rude at times. But I do not want this to be a bad review just because of one waiter. Joe Theisman is a great place to go we would definitely come here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three For LunchactormannDined on 7/9/2014Three of us, two from out of town. One had pasta, one had duck salad, I had salad and bisque. All was very good. Service had god timing and was friendly.Special Features:
- Lots of fun and great food!EmerilsDined on 7/7/2014This was my second trip to Theismann's and the food was great! Fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great serviceWineDineFelineVIPDined on 7/3/2014We were very pleased with our dining experience at Theismann's. The crab cakes were great, practically no filler whatsoever. Our server, Evan, was attentive without being overbearing and had great suggestions on the menu as well as the beer and wine selection. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!MarkDDined on 6/27/2014Excellent experience! I made a reservation for 12. Two of us arrived 30 minutes early and they seated us immediately...the table was pre-arranged and saved for us long before the reservation time, and they didn't make us wait for the whole party to arrive. The server (Daphne) was friendly, attentive, and came around often enough to ensure our drinks were continuously refilled...without being around "too much." I highly recommend Theismanns for a large group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriAlex22305Dined on 6/27/2014Enjoyed our dining experience. Sat in the back room, which was much quieter than the bar area. Service was excellent.
- enjoyablekegstrckDined on 6/20/2014Food was excellent, good selections. It was during the world cup play on a Friday night, so there were some noisy folks in the bar, but just having fun. I brought my mom who took nee to the original Joe Theismans restaurant....but she's is older now and a little hard if hearing....which the scenes made more difficult...at least that night...will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening with friendsCaptBDined on 6/19/2014A fantastic evening with old friends. Theisman's is a wonderful experience. A great date night, family night, any event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly StaffNeighborDined on 6/18/2014Organized staff, friendly receptionist. Caring Manager. But a little too noisy for talking when inside --- could use a couple of glass dividers between tables and bar scene. But that is my only complaint. The menu is good, staff wonderful. Especially like the outside dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Family Restaurantebonygirl12Dined on 6/15/2014We ate at Joe Theismann's Restaurant for Father's Day last Sunday. Really good food. Nice ambiance. Good ServiceSpecial Features:
- Father's Day/Twins' Birthday BrunchDadntwintimeDined on 6/15/2014We were seated and the wait staff quickly added 2 more seats to accommodate our group (kids came along) :) The food was delicious, our waitress was delightful and everyone had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food TemperatureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I get annoyed when my food luke warm vice HOT. It leads me to believe the my food was just hanging out in some random window waiting for my server to finally pick it up. My entree was good but would have been a lot better if it wasn't luke warm. FYI, the eggplant and goat cheese app was amazing, it was visually pleasing, delicous and served at a proper temp.
- Had a wonderful timeHelmtkDined on 6/14/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Theismann's restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was awesome. We took an earlier reservation than we would have liked because the open table didn't have anything later. The restaraunt was practically empty, so we wondered if we could have gone later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What could be betterinfreqeuntdinerDined on 6/11/2014The restaurant was a surprise - larger than it looks with a masculine, dark wood design - fitting for a restaurant named after a quarterback of the NFL. The wine list needs to be revamped - for the price per bottle, quality of the wine needs to be upgraded. Servers know little about wines, and appropriate glasses. All other things being equal the restaurant is pleasing, the food is good. We'll go back.Special Features:
- Surprisingly great foodsocialbutterfly74Dined on 6/7/2014The food was amazing for a sports bar. I will be a recurring customerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Theisman's!RhondaVIPDined on 6/3/2014My husband and I usually stop in on our way to church events. The staff is always friendly and welcoming and, most importantly, accommodating. When we explain that we are under tight time constraints, they always get us served quickly and out as fast as we need to be. The menu has changed a bit but on our last visit, I had the pork tenderloin. It was excellent and I would recommend it. This is a great restaurant and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Joni our server was super,lekkerDined on 6/2/2014inviting ambience, staff helpful and friendly, excellent variety of choices, food delicious, especially the lump crab cakes. Convenient to Metro and good parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and location.JlliiiDined on 6/1/2014Good cross between sports bar and very good food. Have used as a meeting/ dining spot for 25 years, always consistent quality food and better than most over time. Eating at the bar is a good option when there for sports. Outdoor seething area is good too. The KIng street metro stop makes it a very good spot for meeting others. Have never been disappointed in the food or beer selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014Happy to find another nice resturant close to home! Good food, good environment, good prices and good service! HAPPY!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This time, not so goodGeraldDined on 6/1/2014I've been coming here a few times this year. This time they overcooked the eggs Benedick. The waitress had to many table to serve and left out our big party to tend to others. I think she was also new. I was satisfied when the manager subtracted the items that was overcooked.Special Features:
- Love JoesluvmyfoodVIPDined on 5/30/2014Foods always great, GET THE SALMON! Love the bread, new changes to the menu, love the booths. Definitely one of our Alexandria favorites!Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance!fromstarwithloveDined on 5/29/2014My coworkers trusted me to find a restaurant that offered healthy choices, for the gym rat, and not so healthy options for cheeseburger lovers. We all loved the food and the sporty environment. I made the reservation and didn't have to wait the hour it would've taken had we not used Open Table. It was a bit noisy, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotGlutenfreeDined on 5/22/2014Was happy to see the gluten-free menu. Food was good for the most part. We were a party of six. all plates were good, except the fish and chips. The fish was a soft whitefish. Would have been nicer if it had been cod or halibut. Overall, we had a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhMikeVIPDined on 5/16/2014This place is okay in a pinch since it is close to a couple hotels, but don't make it a destination. Although there is a cocktail list, I asked if they had Campari. The waitress said yes so I ordered a negroni and our waitress looked at me like I was crazy and thought I was making the drink up. The recipe is even on the back of the Campari bottle. Food was good not great, although my medium rare burger was medium well - well done. Fries were quite good.
- INSIDE VS OUTSIDENeighborDined on 5/14/2014We love sitting outside! Noise level there is fine, heaters are magic and staff is terrific! Inside upper level is the same and the noise level is not too bad but could use a pane of glass to separate from the bar on occasion. The bar scene is too noisy for me. People actually DO go out to eat to talk to their guests and also to do business plus good food and service. The Quiet Room is good when it is Quiet and could also use a pane of glass between levels. But we love going there. The reception staff is above and beyond and always make me feel welcome! I am a regular. The food is consistent. Staff great.Special Features:
- Great experienceBoomerVIPDined on 5/14/2014Some run when they see a sports bar - but this is a happy exception! I often bring business associates here for lunch and I'm always pleased. Great staff and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayLovesgoodfoodDined on 5/11/2014I was originally just planning on going here with my 14 year old son and myself just to chill out and watch the draft but we ended up taking my Mom and celebrating Mother's Day here for brunch. She had a great time and loved the food and service. We were all pleasantly surprised, the atmosphere is great, the good is great and the service is great. I definitely recommend and we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.