Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
777 Thurlow St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joefortes.ca/
- Phone: (604) 669-1940
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Wayne Sych
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Visit Joe Fortes and you are welcomed into an environment whose vibrant sights and sounds are as enticing as the menu is. With our name inspired by a local legend famous for his warm, welcoming nature, we naturally believe that hospitality is key in creating a memorable group dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Norma Cisneros 6046854040x
- Entertainment: Live Piano 7 days a week
- Cross Street: Robson
- Public Transit: Five minute walk from Burrard Skytrain Station and Vancouver City Centre Station
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available Monday to Friday from 11:00am - 11:00pm and starting at 6:00pm on Saturday and Sunday. There is also ample street and parkade parking within easy walking distance.
A word from Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Joe Fortes has been specializing in classic, American cuisine since 1985. The turn-of-the-century inspired dining room features 30-foot high ceilings and six unique dining venues that include brand new green roof top patio. Executive Chef Wayne Sych prepares each dish with a focus on natural flavours and features the finest ingredients from Pacific Northwest farmers, fishermen and other food artisans. Serving more than 50 kinds of fresh fish, premium oysters and thick chops daily, Joe’s signature dishes have become a favourite with locals, celebrities & tourists alike. Joe’s is known as the best oyster bar in Vancouver and is home to some of North America's best oyster shuckers. Our award winning wine list features over 400 selections from British Columbia, California, the Pacific Northwest and prominent wine regions throughout the world. Enjoy a delicious cocktail at our bar with live piano music nightly or at our Roof Garden Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
315 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (187)fit for foodies (163)good for groups (132)notable wine list (121)hot spot (116)great for lunch (97)great for outdoor dining (95)neighborhood gem (81)vibrant bar scene (80)romantic (78)great for brunch (60)late-night find (38)kid-friendly (22)scenic view (14)Show More
- Fantastic birthday night at JoesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014We were taking care of from the curb to our table and enjoyed the very knowledgeable service at timing. It's a beautiful place with awesome food. I'll be back for many more meals....and to catch the game on the rooftop patio. I also loved the complimentary desert they slipped in at the end of my meal. Thanks Joes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual Weekend Get AwayWeekendDined on 11/22/2014We look forward each year for the annual journey into Vancouver for Christmas shopping, great hotel and time together. We shop till we drop and then finish off the evening at Joe's. Great food, service & atmosphere...so many interesting sights to see and conversations to over hear...Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Gracious service starting from the entrance. Elegant ambiance- soaring ceilings with the perfect classical chandeliers reflecting in the over sized arched windows, incredible staircase wide enough to host the Grand Piano, the perfect location to showcase the evenings entertainment. Exquisite food, exceptional presentation, polite, personable and timely service. Our table location was private for an intimate dinner yet part of the overall charisma and excitement of the Joe Fortes experience that keeps us coming back. Wonderful time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/20/2014Joe Fortes is a neighbourhood gem, not only for the amazing food but for the wonderful flawless service. It's at the top of the list in every restaurant category. Thank you for being so amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usual!DineOut2OftenDined on 11/13/2014Have visited this restaurant on many occasions and, as usual, the service is terrific... from the gal greeting the party at the door to the serving staff! Food was tasty (try the crab cake!) and my guest ordered an off-menu item... the sable fish in miso broth. She's a huge sable fish fan and thoroughly enjoyed this preparation! Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Fantastic!LeCoDined on 11/12/2014You haven't lived until you've had their lobster mashed potatoes. Great place with great food and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding service but.....marlyrDined on 11/9/2014We ordered the seafood dinner for 2 and while it was delicious, it cooled down very quickly - a warming tray would have been great to keep it at least warm, especially when you're working with lobster and crab legs. It must have been cool in the restaurant because the drawn butter was not overly warm. Our service with Kelly with very good. Note - if there are only 2 dining and you end up sitting on the 2nd level you will be sitting where it is impossible to hear your dinner companion unless they talk loud. The piano player was very good, but was hard to hear him. I have good hearing or so I thought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night - expected moreBoykinsDined on 11/8/2014Took my family and a few friends from out of town there for our Saturday night dinner on the 8th of November 2014. Place was busy, piano player was a nice touch, service was on point but food was mediocre for a Saturday night in the city. Lobster seemed overcooked. Side mashed potatoes were stiff and hard - over whipped. Bone-in rib steak was good. Tuna steak was also done well but comment from friend was he wouldn't order with peppercorn sauce next time. Something stood out about the food overall not living up to the "hype/reputation". For a $600 bill, I expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th Birthday celebration!SeattleDined on 11/8/2014This was not our first or our last dining experience at Joe Forte's. It started with our wonderful server Vincent, His recommendations and attentiveness made our evening one to remember. The food was outstanding starting with a drink and ending with the best Crème Brule ever. The whole meal was great. We will return on our return visits to Vancouver. Thank You Vincent for making this a Birthday meal that won't be forgotten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsBoogieStudio22Dined on 11/8/2014My wife and I 'discovered' Joe Fortes about four years ago while on one of our semi-regular visits to Vancouver BC, for our wedding anniversary. The service and food were both outstanding. We've made Joe Fortes one of our must-go destinations up on each visit to Vancouver. Joe Fortes has never disapponted!Special Features:
- IanchoyDined on 11/8/2014Such a good restaurant, and we enjoyed the dinner so much.Special Features:
- Delicious as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Joe Fortes is a must every time I am in Vancouver. The service is always great and the food is always fantastic. It never disappoints.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JBAOtisbuckarooDined on 11/8/2014Brought out-of-towners for brunch Saturday late morning. Great, friendly greeting at the front door. Server--am so sorry I have forgotten her name--was absolutely outstandingly fantastic. The food was good, two chicken and waffles, one benny, one seafood skillet. They used to have a brunch dish called seafood hash that has the same basic ingredients as the skillet but was 100 times better--too bad it is gone. Frankly the food has edged downward since founder Bud Kanke sold a year or so ago. Also too bad. Still one of the fun "bar & grills" in town and with the best summer rooftop deck in Vancouver, varied and fairly priced wine list and a can't miss spot for oysters. Hey kitchen: don't let the food quality slide; it is noticeable!Special Features:
- Expensive DisappointmentDiningIn604VIPDined on 11/7/2014Noisy dining room, noisy booth: waiter was shouting, presumably out of kindness to make himself understood. Lobster bisque thin, and raised doubt about the level of acquaintance with lobster stock and cognac. Neighbours had fish and chips: unusual perhaps burnt oil odour wafted over. Dessert also presented opportunities for new recipes. Isn't lava cake all about unctuous melting centres rather than rock solid chocolate? This place or dinner at home? The choice is easy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/6/2014In for lunch, table for two at the window, excellent food and great service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Joe Fortes Always DeliversDaven109Dined on 11/5/2014Another phenomenal mean at Joe Fortes. I've been to Joe Fortes many times before but decided to take my wife there for her birthday. As always, they had a great selection of fresh seafood. We got into just about everything with the West Coast Plater, including oysters, jumbo prawns, mussels, scallops, snow crab, lobster, salmon and more. The wine pairing suggestion from the server was perfect addition for our feast. Joe Fortes always delivers. Thanks again for another great night.Special Features:
- FantasticSantiDined on 11/2/2014I felt like I wasn't in Vancouver anymore. I was transported to the 1940s. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny but it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeFantasticfoodDined on 11/2/2014My husband & I attended Happy Hour at the bar to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. Our waitress was less than enthusiastic about our anniversary or serving us in general. No matter. I came to be annoyed with our server as she was neglectful. We ordered 3 dishes. The lobster & shrimp rolls were divine, the fried oysters & oysters Rockafeller did not show up. Another waitress came by & asked if we wanted anything & if we were having the daily special.... We had not been informed of the $1 daily special ... we ordered, they came, we ate them. Then the previous waitress finally checked, she had forgotten, the chefs had to remake the other 2 dishes then she brought them.... rather poor, but only her, everyone else was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food coma enducingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food is amazing and the staff are very welcoming and friendly. Loved everything!Special Features:
- Oils006Oils006Dined on 11/1/2014We arrived early and they had accommodated us in the bar until our group arrived. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful with the menu. All 6 of us were very happy with our food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CNDdinerDined on 11/1/2014Booked a table for 5 to celebrate a birthday. Joe Fortes truly made the experience memorable. They even specialized the daily menu by writing birthday wishes at the top and rolled it up for us to take home! There was also no issues with bringing in our own cake. Staff was great. Wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been betterJerlilDined on 10/31/2014Was disappointed with our food this time. Had such a great meal previously, but this was average at best. It was obvious our food sat and waited for us because the potatoes were cold and the squash purée had a crust on it. Service was lovely, oysters were great. Was looking forward to a great meal and was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placePekiVIPDined on 10/31/2014We went here for our Anniversary dinner. Our menus reflected that it was our anniversary :O) We had never had lobster oil before, interesting as a dipping oil for the bread served. Loved the scallops and salmon entrees we ordered. Just a delightful evening. We would definitely recommend dining here.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodNomnomnomDined on 10/30/2014We started off with a hot chocolate and mocha they were alright; we were hoping for them to be hot, but they were only lukewarm. We got the crispy calamari and seafood tower just 1 tier for me and my girlfriend. The calamari was the best I've ever had and I usually get calamari whenever I see it on the menu. The dipping sauce matched very well both me and my girlfriend devoured it. The oysters were very fresh and the tuna tender. My girlfriend loved the lobster which was cooked very well, was very tender and not chewy. The snow crab was more too my liking full of meat and tender. The scallops, mussels, and clams could use a little more flavor. We finished with a delicous creme brulee. Would come again for another date.Special Features:
- Cheers75wolverineDined on 10/30/2014We visit Vancouver a few times a year and always eat at Joe Fortes at least once a trip. Great food, exceptional service and a warm friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandySandyDined on 10/27/2014Fun, energetic, happening atmosphere, love the pianist. Excellent fish but the chef's creation lacked pizazz. I would expect more than plain rice as a side in a restaurant of this calibre. Tomato salad was delicious with ingredients of excellent quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Fantastic service! Loved our server who was so patient with us as part of our party was late arriving. Great dining!Special Features:
- Got the entree wrong but still goodCynthiaVIPDined on 10/24/2014We normally have a great time here- it was still good, but they got my entree wrong. So, my husband ate his while I waited... Not a big deal, but I thought there might be some sort of comp- either the steak or a round of drinks. Server was great, venue was still fun. Just a bummer with the mistake and no real attempt to rectify it.Special Features:
- Awesome lunch dealLilo33Dined on 10/24/2014Although I have been here several times for dinner, I had never had lunch here until recently. The diner classics were a great deal at $9.95. There was a choice of 3 entrees. I had the chicken pot pie... I know, I know, why have chicken in a seafood place? But I saw the person at the neighbouring table get it and it looked sooo good! I was not disappointed. The chicken was tender and napped in a creamy flavourful sauce with carrots and peas. The crust was crisp and flakey. I could not finish it, but my dining partner happily polished it off. He had ordered the chef's special: a pan fried trout with squash puree and roasted vegetables. The fish was beautifully cooked as were the accompaniments. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- First time in Vancouver... good picgirlonherownDined on 10/23/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by the front desk staff at my hotel - when I asked for a good steak & seafood restaurant. Didn't disappoint and since I was eating alone at the bar, the bar staff were very engaging :)Special Features:
- Cold FoodcfoodeaterDined on 10/21/2014I had made my reservation 4 days in advance and still our table was upstairs in the back corner right in front of the server station. We were constantly bumped and interrupted by servers cutting bread and grabbing cutlery. The oysters, beer and wine and drinks were delicious aside from the very over priced "signature ceaser" wich was just a mediocre ceaser with a prawn for a garnish. After our appetizers we waited about 45 minutes for our mains to arrive. The flat iron steak and tiger prawns Im told were delicious, however my Cioppino arrived look warm and was overly garnished with a messy julienne of green onions and carrots. Over all the meal started out great but quickly spiraled into a low grade way overpriced seafood dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014You are very cared for at this restaurant. Not once did I ever feel the need to flag down a server to ask for something. They are very attentive but not invasive or irritating. Seamless service! GREAT food!Special Features:
- Really nice nightMoruglasDined on 10/20/2014Food and service were great. Loved the deal they had that included appie, main and dessert. They even brought our dessert with birthday candles as we were celebrating both our birthdays. Such a sweet touch. Want to go back to try happy hour!Special Features:
- What a lunchDuchess25Dined on 10/20/2014Brian was a fantastic waiter. We had already had dinner here a few nights before, but it was our last day in Vancouver so went back for lunch. Hubby thinks that Joe Fortes do the best ever prawn cocktail and enjoyed it so much he had one for a starter and another for dessert! The scallops was succulent and perfectly cooked. Great wine recommendation from Brian and Granville Island honey lager for hubby rounded off a great meal.Special Features:
- Business LunchMikeDined on 10/20/2014We were 5 people for lunch including 2 clients and 1 visitor from Germany. The service and food were top notch. Our server Jennifer obviously knew the menu well and made very helpful suggestions. Overall a very enjoyable visit. We will be back and I look forward to having dinner at Joe Forte's with my wife and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gee005Dined on 10/19/2014We love it here. The food, the ambience and service. I have been coming for almost 10 years, at least 3 times a year. I always have the sable fish, fresh oysters, the clam chowder and fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use a couple more startersBigToddDined on 10/18/2014The appetizer options are limited if you are not big fan of oysters or other seafood. Would be nice to see a couple of other options.Special Features:
- Another great mealWilberforceDined on 10/17/2014We've been here many times...Joe Fortes never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KurtDined on 10/16/2014While the food is always excellent (and they have a great selection of oysters) the menu hasn't been updated in at least 2 years. I find myself getting a bit bored with the selections...I've been here about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years.Special Features:
- Great experience!LollipopDined on 10/16/2014Husband and I were in town visiting family and dined at Joe Fortes in the past. Other family members had also been before so we all agreed best place for a gourmet dinner. I made our online reservation well in advance. Our table was in a very busy & noisy spot, however were promptly moved to a more quiet booth, which made for a more enjoyable time. Waiter was very attentive, knew the menu well & chatted with us, when he had a moment. Four of us ordered the three course special and one ordered off the menu. Steaks cooked perfectly, ravioli so flavourful & seafood linguine scrumptious. All our meals were delicious, beautifully presented & generous portions. Well done! We will be back & will absolutely recommend to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.