Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
777 Thurlow St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joefortes.ca/
- Phone: 6046691940x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Wayne Sych
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Visit Joe Fortes and you are welcomed into an environment whose vibrant sights and sounds are as enticing as the menu is. With our name inspired by a local legend famous for his warm, welcoming nature, we naturally believe that hospitality is key in creating a memorable group dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Norma Cisneros 6046854040x
- Entertainment: Live Piano 7 days a week
A word from Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Joe Fortes has been specializing in classic, American cuisine since 1985. The turn-of-the-century inspired dining room features 30-foot high ceilings and six unique dining venues that include brand new green roof top patio. Executive Chef Wayne Sych prepares each dish with a focus on natural flavours and features the finest ingredients from Pacific Northwest farmers, fishermen and other food artisans. Serving more than 50 kinds of fresh fish, premium oysters and thick chops daily, Joe’s signature dishes have become a favourite with locals, celebrities & tourists alike. Joe’s is known as the best oyster bar in Vancouver and is home to some of North America's best oyster shuckers. Our award winning wine list features over 400 selections from British Columbia, California, the Pacific Northwest and prominent wine regions throughout the world. Enjoy a delicious cocktail at our bar with live piano music nightly or at our Roof Garden Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
321 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (189)fit for foodies (147)great for outdoor dining (122)good for groups (120)notable wine list (119)hot spot (112)great for lunch (98)romantic (79)great for brunch (76)neighborhood gem (73)vibrant bar scene (71)late-night find (42)kid-friendly (25)scenic view (21)Show More
- DisappointedCaliTravlerVIPDined on 9/15/2014It was an hour between salads and entree, which is unacceptable when dining at 6:30. However my biggest complaint was how the manager responded to my inquiry: "this is not Applebee's and it takes longer to prepare fresh fish". Great restaurants know how to handle kitchen back ups, this is not one.Special Features:
- 50th Birthdaytlcx3Dined on 9/14/2014The staff, food and space were excellent - no complaints at all.Special Features:
- First Joe's, then Elton'sJamesBondDined on 9/13/2014When we want to indulge, we go to Joe's. We love the oysters, the drinks, the ambiance and the people. I especially love that beautiful painting/print of all the jazzy people in the 40's (I think).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood skillet - a hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I think this item is worth highlighting on your facebook page, as it's my new favourite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly FabulousMargievilleDined on 9/12/2014Was at the restaurant twice in a two week period. With a group of 12 for a birthday dinner (Saturday night) and then again for an after show dinner with a friend (Friday night). In both cases we were greated promptly, seated efficiently and pleasantly. The service in both occasions was phenomenal to the point where on both nights my dinner companions commented on how great the service was. Food is always fantastic, but then again I've come to expect that from Joe Fortes. It is one of the only places I've eaten in Vancouver where the food has been spot on each and every time with no exceptions. Perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked. I would also really love to kiss their pastry chef. The pavlova is to die for!!Special Features:
- As usaualJohnMDined on 9/12/2014Great food, excellent service. We have never been disappointed.....Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014The server (Peter) was great and very attentive. When the main meal took a little long we had soup on the house, that was really smart. But, the hostess was only okay, a little brusque in my opinion. The fish was nicely cooked and portions were fair but the prices are quite high for both food and the cocktails. The style of the menu looked a bit out of date and there were no vegetarian options which makes it seem a bit out of touch with Vancouver. Was glad to finally say I went and we did enjoy the rooftop and its atmosphere.Special Features:
- First visitFiahDined on 9/10/2014The seafood linguine was amazing! The staff were very friendly. The oysters that the waiter recommended were good. Will visit again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond amazing servicespecialtimesDined on 9/7/2014Amazing service. Would recommend to anyone. The food was great, the service amazing on every level. The servers were up-beat & pleasant, so helpful and attentive, picking up on everything that was required at any given moment and attending to it without being intrusive. It just was beyond amazing. We were celebrating a 65th birthday and everything about the service and the food made us feel that we had made the absolute best choice in choosing Joe Fortes for our special occasion.Special Features:
- One of our favourite brunch placestravelbug72Dined on 9/7/2014Brunch is always a pleasurable experience. We know the patio is first come, first served. Despite this, they were able to hold a table for our party of 13 for Sunday brunch. Our server was very attentive, efficient and friendly. For a party of our size, she automatically got us separate bills and advised us in advance of the 15% gratuity for larger parties. Our water glasses were always full, which we appreciated since the rooftop patio can get lots of sun. Try the lobster bennie or the fried chicken and waffles. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Great PlaceIvonnaHumpalottDined on 9/7/2014I never seen any restaurants like Joe Fortes that goes the extra step and send out thank you cards to their customers, I am very impressed.Special Features:
- very busy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014even though had a reservation, still had to wait extra 15 minutes. stuck in the corner right next to the backside of another diner. the server was good enough to move us to another table. the food was great but took around 45 minutes to arrive. my last visit was just before last Christmas. everything was great. on time seating, food came to the table quickly and the restaurant was just as busy then as my recent visit. I actually had to go back outside and ask the hostess how much longer my wait was going to be, when no one came to inform me how much longer I had to wait. for a well respected restaurant I had better expectations. not sure if I would return but I will say the food was great.Special Features:
- Service was down.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We've made this our special celebration spot and have had great food and service in the past. The food was still delicious but the service wasn't as great as in the past. The guy had difficulty understanding parents requests about not filling up the glass full of water and we had to ask for a small glass instead of wine glasses for the kids twice. It seemed to put him out! Also we did not appreciate all the emails and phone calls regarding our on-line reservation and will not reserve on-line again in the future. It's definitely been better before. Also if you order a plate for 2 it would make sense to give a equal amount of scallops don't you think? They also never returned and asked if I wanted another drink.Special Features:
- Best Seafoodhowerton48Dined on 9/5/2014The best selection of oysters we have ever seen. Outstanding fresh fish. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. For seafood in Vancouver this is the only place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDined on 9/3/2014OMG! Om nom nom! JF went out of their way to make our 31st wedding anniversary a night to remember. Right down to the personalized menu congratulating us. Our waiter Elvis's service was extra special. We had an end table on the roof overlooking the streets below. The food was fabulous, timely (but not rushed), and mouth watering. We enjoyed every bite. Definitely take in this spot if you're visiting or looking for a night out on the town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went on recommendationImclDined on 9/2/2014We went here after a recommendation from relatives. So glad we went,the food was fabulous and the serving staff lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent servicekpol1Dined on 9/1/2014Very good food with fresh seafood, and excellent wine list. Our waiter really knew his wines and made excellent recommendations. Even though we didn't have the intention of having oysters, our waiter gently coaxed us into trying some, and they were quite delicious! Outdoor seating up stairs is very nice, quiet, intimate, and smoke-free!!!!! Major bonus points for that.Special Features:
- Great servicepaulchungDined on 8/31/2014Went there to celebrate my wife's birthday. We were seated on the outdoor patio. It was my first time on the patio. It was nice but I would prefer the tables were a bit further apart. However, the food was great and the service was really excellent, which is what draws us to this place over the years. We had oysters (both the happy hour specials and our regular malpeques) and mussels for appies, then tuna and Arctic char. The meal was great but the service was excellent. Our waiter was friendly, humorous and attentive.Special Features:
- Eat at Joe FortesMissPinzDined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend and I are here for our two year anniversary. We had the surf and turf platter which was very delicious!!! Quite pricey, but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The food and service overall were quite good. The table itself was very small and crowded. All 4 of us had water and a drink and the bread on the table, when the appetizers arrived we had to shuffle things around to make it all fit. The restaurant in general had the same feeling. It was like they were trying to shove as many tables into the restaurant as they possible could, It detracted from the atmosphere.
- mouth watering fillet mignon!azenivDined on 8/30/2014Great service! Great food! Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cousins for lunchJazzedtobehereDined on 8/30/2014I brought my cousins from Australia to lunch. I wanted to give them an experience, and we weren't disappointed. The service here is fabulous, there is a buzz happening, it gets very busy, very fast. Frenchy, the Maître 'd is a great personality and made our lunch most enjoyable. I have come here for a few special occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Our FavouriteGordDined on 8/29/2014We've been to Joe Fortes several times, some of which have been for Happy Hour for Oysters and Manhattans, dinner and lunch. The latest on August 30, 2014. I had the Trio Seafood with a side of large Nova Scotia scallops and my wife had the Salmon Special. Both were perfectly cooked. As a side note, in my view, Joe Fortes makes the best Manhattan drink. While we like to try different restaurants, Joe Fortes is a perennial for dining. Service, as usual, is always impeccable whether at the bar or dining.Special Features:
- Delicious food, but overpricedViJKDined on 8/29/2014Went here on the recommendation of a trusted friend. Loved the luxurious look of the place, the upscale furnishings, the giant glass window on both sides of the entry way, and the live pianist. However, my overall takeaway was that it was a bit presumptuous of a place. The prices are extraordinary, and the food isn't. It is great food, don't get me wrong, but the high prices lead to high expectations. However, I can understand that the prices may reflect the expenses involved in training such knowledge staff, offering Ocean Wise selections, local and sustainably-sourced food, etc. Not really my type of place, though I was very impressed by the extensive variety of all menus (dinner, wine, cocktails, dessert, etc.).Special Features:
- discerningdinerDined on 8/29/2014As always it was a pleasure to dine at Joe Forte's. The food and service were impeccable!Special Features:
- Love this placeFrequentVanVisitorDined on 8/29/2014I go to Joe Fortes at least once every time I am in town. Great food, great service and comfortable atmosphere(casual to formal, all is welcome).Special Features:
- ALWAYS A GEMMigsVIPDined on 8/28/2014It has been 10 years since I've visited Vancouver last. I was a little concerned to Joe Fortes would have fallen out of favor by then.. My worries were ill founded !! Not only is Joe Fortes a great restaurant I had expected in years past it is even better today!! We dined in the upstairs patio which has a fabulous view of downtown Vancouver Our server: Sarah was magnificent! Joe Fortes is an absolute must stop in and visit to downtown VancouverSpecial Features:
- Dinner at Joe ForteslimamanDined on 8/28/2014The food and service (Steve was our waiter) were excellent, but the noise level was almost unmanageable. Moreover, the piano player was less than stellar. Danielle, a really lovely person, was more than accommodating, finding a seating that I preferred (but which I had to decline because my dinner mate couldn't manage the situation).Special Features:
- casualdinerDined on 8/28/2014The restaurant did their best to find a quiet spot for us on the 2nd floor in the corner, but it was still too loud. The live piano was a nice touch, however it was also competing with the overall ambient noise, you knew it was playing, but not always sure what tune. Overall, too noisy for our group. Food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- very nice lunchTongDined on 8/27/2014great place for lunch but reservations are suggested if you want to avoid waiting. busy, energetic crowd during lunch. food is always goodSpecial Features:
- AwesomeSimonDined on 8/26/2014We go every time we are in town. Great food and ambiance. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Awesome experiencetgriffinDined on 8/24/2014Had not been to Joe Fortes for years...still the same excellent service, food is outstanding and was pleasantly surprised to find the kids menu. We were were so happy that the server took initiative to help celebrate my husband birthday with a candle in creme brûlée and sing along to "Happy birthday". We had lost a wedding ring while we were there and it was found and return by the staff...Wow...The music was also so much fun and entertaining. thanks JoeSpecial Features:
- Special occasionEllebelleDined on 8/24/2014It was our first time dining at Joe's..Too bad we couldn't get a quiet table for our anniversary... We were sat between three families that were very loud. Hard to enjoy the company of significant other when placed right in the centre of the room. I didn't think the ambiance was romantic at all. Wine was really yummy and we had some delicious oysters. The main course was quiet average. I expected amazing flavours for the price... Was let down by lack of seasoning... Service was exceptional, it was the waitress that made our experience excellent and not the food.Special Features:
- OverpricedKandMDined on 8/24/2014Our waiter was excellent - a real professional. The food was good. The bill, however, gave me indigestion. There was a jarring disconnect between our dining experience and the cost. I wish this restaurant all the best but next time I'm celebrating, I will go somewhere else where we can get more value for our dollars.
- Classic qualityfoodfanDined on 8/23/2014We ate here on a Saturday at prime dinner hour. Thankfully I had made a reservation as the place was packed and wait times for walk-ins was long. We ordered a variety of appetizers as well as oysters and everything was delicious. The table was a bit small and quickly got overpacked with plates but the staff did an amazing job of clearing and making space as soon as we had finished a dish. Also, love that they have 1/2 liters of wine - made it so easy for sharing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sea FoodpickyeaterDined on 8/23/2014Had Sea food platter for brunch. Wine selection help was great and great time.Special Features:
- Joe does it againSteakloverDined on 8/22/2014Had dinner at Joe Fortes last night and it was everything I hoped for. Great food, food atmosphere and incredible service. If you want an old school stake and seafood experience, this is the place! Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for seafoodtammyDined on 8/22/2014I ordered a steak and it wasn't that tender, I thought after this is a seafood restaurant. My husband had seafood linguini and it was excellent. Also I thought it was supposed to be topped with onion rings which I didn't get. It was so busy, waitress said 40 minute wait it was 50. Also we had the table upstairs by all the servers which wasn't the best.Special Features:
- Great tacosangieDined on 8/22/2014Love the fish tacos at Joe Fortes. You can ask for them grilled rather than deep fried if you prefer. So fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- FantasticWorldRoverDined on 8/21/2014The food and service at Joes are always fantastic and If you are budget aware there are Joes lunch & dinner deals giving you a 3 course meal for a reasonable price. A must whether you live or are just visiting Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.