Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
777 Thurlow St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joefortes.ca/
- Phone: 6046691940x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Wayne Sych
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Visit Joe Fortes and you are welcomed into an environment whose vibrant sights and sounds are as enticing as the menu is. With our name inspired by a local legend famous for his warm, welcoming nature, we naturally believe that hospitality is key in creating a memorable group dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Norma Cisneros 6046854040x
- Entertainment: Live Piano 7 days a week
A word from Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Joe Fortes has been specializing in classic, American cuisine since 1985. The turn-of-the-century inspired dining room features 30-foot high ceilings and six unique dining venues that include brand new green roof top patio. Executive Chef Wayne Sych prepares each dish with a focus on natural flavours and features the finest ingredients from Pacific Northwest farmers, fishermen and other food artisans. Serving more than 50 kinds of fresh fish, premium oysters and thick chops daily, Joe’s signature dishes have become a favourite with locals, celebrities & tourists alike. Joe’s is known as the best oyster bar in Vancouver and is home to some of North America's best oyster shuckers. Our award winning wine list features over 400 selections from British Columbia, California, the Pacific Northwest and prominent wine regions throughout the world. Enjoy a delicious cocktail at our bar with live piano music nightly or at our Roof Garden Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
286 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (159)fit for foodies (123)hot spot (105)good for groups (101)great for outdoor dining (101)notable wine list (95)great for lunch (94)great for brunch (75)romantic (70)neighborhood gem (68)vibrant bar scene (56)late-night find (34)kid-friendly (23)scenic view (18)Show More
- First Time at JoesAdrianDined on 8/16/2014Arrived 20 minutes early, but seated straight away. Restaurant ultra busy, but service was excellent. Went with the recommended BC Pinot Gris and ordered the crab cakes followed by fish and chips. Was treated to a wasabi tuna taster in bertween courses. Food was first rate. Great experience, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I came here for dinner for our 15th Anniversary and we had a fantastic dinner (as always), with fantastic service. My wife's a huge fan of the Miso Crusted Sablefish, and I tried the Beef Short Rib (Chef's Creation). Both of us found the food to be fantastic, including the "2-of-each" of all the East Coast Oysters (I prefer them more than the West Coast oysters lately). I also placed a quick note in the reservation that it was our anniversary, and I noticed our menus included a congratulatory note on our Anniversary right on the menu! Service was also excellent, and the atmosphere is very energetic - a definite hot spot that provides on atmosphere, service, food, drink and people.Special Features:
- Epic dinner and great experienceAdrienne81Dined on 8/14/2014Came with two friends from Australia. The service was too notch. The appetizers to dinner the wine oh my goodness I have never eaten so well. The sauces that came with our food was delicious. Everything was amazing. We talked about the food the whole next day Highly highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow, slow, slowwesterngardenerDined on 8/13/2014I've been to Joe Fortes several times. The food was awesome, but while the service was attentive, the kitchen (i.e. time from ordering to plates on the table was abysmal) was incredibly slow. Took over 2 hours for our entree to be served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointeeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Food was good but not great. Extremely noisy restaurant, hard to carryon a conversation, which was acerbated by an extremely loud piano player that did nothing to enhance the ambiance. However, the service was by far the worst I have ever experienced, in Vancouver or anywhere else. We had to wait for almost a hour between our appetizer being finished and the main course being served. They tried to placate us with a complimentary cup of chowder and then apologize for the poor service by giving a free dessert.
- A Keeper!lovetocookandeatDined on 8/10/2014Staff dealt quickly and efficiently with our request for a quieter table. Impressed with how they followed up to make sure we were satisfied with the new table. Servers were friendly, warm, and professional. Food was delicious. We asked the server how the veggies were prepared, they were so perfect, melt-in-your mouth, and she promptly went to ask the chef and reported back to us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!RyderDined on 8/10/2014Just all around great. Great food. Great service. You get what what you pay for, and Joe Fortes definitely fit the bill. Next time, I want to try a seat on their rooftop patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Calamari!!LivetoeatDined on 8/7/2014Not our first time, we come back because the food is great! We loved the calamari - best ever and the pan fried oysters delicious. Fish & Chips amazing! Was too full for dessert but will certainly go back again and again!Special Features:
- MissyMDined on 8/5/2014I find it a bit too pretentious for my taste, but great for client meetings. The place to be seen, for sure. Also, the hostess service is one of the worst I've ever seen (and I've visited the restaurant twice).Special Features:
- good foodfoodDined on 8/2/2014enjoyed dinner at Joe Fortes; excellent service and excellent food. It was quite noisy; one little girl was actually covering her ears!!Special Features:
- Forte's is formidable!DarkwingDined on 8/2/2014This is the 5th time I have visited Joe Fortes. I have not been disappointed. The service, food quality and restaurant are always great. I highly recommend this restaurant. I have dined for business, for fun and for romance at Joe Forte's and my experience for each occasion was excellent. I will come back to Joe Forte's, and I will recommend it to anyone. Joe Forte's has a very broad menu, I particularily am impressed with the selections from their oyster bar and the fresh fish on the menu. Please do yourself a favour...go to Joe Forte's!Special Features:
- Great Fresh Seafoodjimmyluv10Dined on 8/1/2014Great food, excellent service, highly recommend Joe's if your in the mood for fresh seafood and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodSillyRabbitDined on 8/1/2014I booked with OpenTable, but we still had to wait for our table to be ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So hot couldn't enjoyMaryDined on 7/31/2014Need to get some air or fix what you have. Miserable evening with sweat running down our backs. Food pretty good. Service good. Overcrowded with too many tables. Couldn't move our chairs without hitting another. Horrible experience.
- Good food, but way to crowdedYVRTimVIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was good (fried pickles were excellent!), and really good selection of oysters. Service was attentive and knowledgeable, however the restaurant was so overcrowded and loud that we had a hard time hearing our waiter. The surrounding tables were so close that my chair back was touching the chair back of the table behind me. Would avoid this restaurant in the future due to how overcrowded and loud it was.
- Very nice dinneralty88Dined on 7/29/2014We were a party of 8. The service was great and friendly. The appetizers were very good but they are not mean for sharing. (Crab cake, calamari and ceviche). The food was delicious! The only thing was that the dining room was hot, it's summer and I don't know if their A/C was working properly, but I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceElisabethDined on 7/28/2014We enjoyed the food, was great. Up on the terrace was a nice ambiance. The waiters so friendly. We personally don't appreciate when a TV screen is in front of us - we are not able to talk together anymore.Special Features:
- anniversaryKelly123Dined on 7/28/2014Enjoyed our 30th anniversary here. Food, wine and service were exceptional.Special Features:
- Great Service!ChefsdaughterDined on 7/28/2014Trusted and tasty menu, gorgeous deck and great service make this an easy choice!Special Features:
- fabulous!BREMDined on 7/27/2014Came here for my birthday dinner and loved it! Atmosphere great and servers were so friendly and knowledgeable. Would go again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed!notagain2Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I on July 26th went for a special occasion dinner. I ashed to substitute fries instead of the horseradish potatoes as I`m allergic. They arrived and someone other than our waiter `plunked the plates down not even looking at us. The horseradish potatoes were there. We eventually got the waiters attention as he was not coming over to ask us about the meal. He took my plate away and returned sometime after my wife had finished her meal. I told him to take the meal back as we are going to pay the cheque and leave. Surely this could have been problem solved better than this. He said it was "miss communication with the chef."Special Features:
- DisappointedzipgracieDined on 7/26/2014Expected our usual wonderful experience-didn't happen. Food was greasy, lukewarm and waiter abrasive.
- Good but not great.ronnyfromtoronnyDined on 7/24/2014Seafood was great. Steak average. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Always delicious! I have yet to be disappointed. I stop by this restaurant every time I am in Vancouver. This time I brought my family and they we very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty crab cakes!DineOut2OftenDined on 7/22/2014Had crab cakes and crispy french fries... very tasty and a highly recommended combination! Will definitely have them again in the near future.Special Features:
- Extremely Busy RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014We were a table of seven, and we all enjoyed excellent seafood. Our waiter was attentive and personable. When booking, I believed that three hours seemed an ample amount of time to enjoy a complete meal together. However, we were seated at 6:30 pm and by 9:30 pm we were just being handed our dessert menu. This is not because we did not order soon enough; it was a consequence of a kitchen that could not keep up with demand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local oysters!KotaroDined on 7/21/2014We, 10 people group including some children, have enjoyed BC's local oysters of summer season. BC's local oysters and crab cake, you must have! Very nice! The atmosphere of this restaurant is a little classic and very friendly. Live piano is also excellent!Special Features:
- Great food, took too long thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Food and wait staff were fantastic! Our meals took too long to arrive given the busyness of the restaurant, and the fact that it was brunch food. This is not necessarily something that would be keep me away from Joe Fortes in the future, but is something I would be keeping my eye on the next time I choose to dine thereSpecial Features:
- One of my faves!GreatEatsDined on 7/19/2014Joe Forte's continues to be one of my top 3 spots to dine at in Vancouver.... Whether it's for a romantic dinner, night out with the friends or a casual dinner, Joe Forte's food is always delicious (the sablefish is out of this world), the service is always outstanding and they have a fantastic wine list to top it off! Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunchMichelleDined on 7/18/2014We sat outside and enjoyed the summer day, the people watching and of course the excellent food . We had the lobster rolls and they were fantastic. Service unparalleled. A memorable afternoon. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellencesweetcookieDined on 7/17/2014I am soo pleased to say that Joe Fortes under Executive Chef Wayne Sych, has returned to its perfection of the past, excellent food that matches the never fading service of front of house. It is with great pleasure that the high expectations of guests are surpassed. From the extensive wine list, the knowledge, expertise and passion the serving staff exude. The only hard part was choosing what to have and I have Celiac ( no wheat, barley or rye) and saying no to a specialty coffee because we were too full. Treat yourself to a little history of Vancouver and food that is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad servicestevendroweDined on 7/16/2014The ambience was the best feature in this restaurant, design was great, piano player, multi-layer made the place quite interesting. Some of the items were a little over-priced, I suspect we were paying for the ambience through the food. The waiting staff were friendly and efficient. However, we almost left as it took 45 minutes to get our food, which was pretty outrageous since we didn't order anything special. Other guests were also waiting a long time. Based on the food wait time I doubt if we would return to this place.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantVeraHDined on 7/13/2014Delicious food, wonderful selection and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014Thank you for a great annual family dinner. Everyone enjoyed their meals. The seafood was prepared and cooked to perfection. Service was great. Thanks for the complimentary appetizers and birthday deserts. Only complaint would be how hot restaurant was. Perhaps the restaurant should invent some stand alone fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Superb dining experiencebossyVIPDined on 7/13/2014Sat on the roof deck for a sunday brunch. The seafood tower was fantastic. Lobster eggs benny was quite good too. Most notable was the great service we received. Kevin was amazing. This is why this place is my favourite Vancouver restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rose maldonadolvpatioDined on 7/12/2014We arrived early to wait for padio the take no reservation for patio the hostess seem stressed & didn't seem to happy she wouldn't put u on wait list even thought we had booked reservation. She said she could not give us any estamate time of how long we had to wait and could not leave with the table buzzer. It was hot very loud and stuffy in the bar area where it looked like some people waiting for tables walkins. We left to get some air came back about 20 min asked again if there was any chance at the patio she said had no idea how long people linger up there. The manager so happen to over hear the conversation spoke with my husband looked on the seating list and said come with me up to patio! What a great guy he really made our night :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing Food & IndifferenceAndexFoodieDined on 7/12/2014Steak was not seasoned well + too rare (asked for medium rare and turns out to be blue rare) and lobster was over cooked. Raw oyster and the lobster oil was really good! Sablefish was cooked very well, but feels like a normal Chinese dish. Service was great, but floor was left wet near the bar and my wife slipped and fell. This area is a wet hazardous area. as it seems it's always wet. Relatively to other restaurant, there are better alternatives for all the food we ordered, except for the lobster oil for bread. The best reason to go there is for unique ambiance. Overall, there's nothing special about and indifference Joe Forte.Special Features:
- YUMMY!lovegoodfoodDined on 7/11/2014We were seated promptly. The service and food were unbelievably outstanding. The trout was amazing. The veggies were done to perfection. A great venue for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJoes4usDined on 7/10/2014Some of the finest Sea Food you will find in Vancouver. Impeccable presentation, flavour, and perfectly portioned entrees. The fresh Oysters are of the finest quality. That accompanied by the attentive non rushed service makes for a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Lunch on the TerracesusanDined on 7/8/2014My friend and I had a great lunch at Joe Fortes this week. I ordered a cobb salad and was happy to hear that I could order any kind of cheese I would like to go in it. The server brought the entire salad bowl over and mixed it with dressing and cheese, etc. Then he served the salad onto my plate. Wow! It was delicious. Prior to the salad, I ate their ceviche. The server brought it over in a martini-like appliance, shook it and then served it onto my plate. Wow again! It, too, was yummy! Our main server was very friendly, professional and smiley. The entire staff was friendly and we noticed that they take pride in working at Fortes. We also noticed that clientele is #1 and service is #1. We plan on having lunch there next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.