Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
777 Thurlow St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joefortes.ca/
- Phone: 6046691940x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Wayne Sych
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Visit Joe Fortes and you are welcomed into an environment whose vibrant sights and sounds are as enticing as the menu is. With our name inspired by a local legend famous for his warm, welcoming nature, we naturally believe that hospitality is key in creating a memorable group dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Norma Cisneros 6046854040x
- Entertainment: Live Piano 7 days a week
- Cross Street: Robson
- Public Transit: Five minute walk from Burrard Skytrain Station and Vancouver City Centre Station
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available Monday to Friday from 11:00am - 11:00pm and starting at 6:00pm on Saturday and Sunday. There is also ample street and parkade parking within easy walking distance.
A word from Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Joe Fortes has been specializing in classic, American cuisine since 1985. The turn-of-the-century inspired dining room features 30-foot high ceilings and six unique dining venues that include brand new green roof top patio. Executive Chef Wayne Sych prepares each dish with a focus on natural flavours and features the finest ingredients from Pacific Northwest farmers, fishermen and other food artisans. Serving more than 50 kinds of fresh fish, premium oysters and thick chops daily, Joe’s signature dishes have become a favourite with locals, celebrities & tourists alike. Joe’s is known as the best oyster bar in Vancouver and is home to some of North America's best oyster shuckers. Our award winning wine list features over 400 selections from British Columbia, California, the Pacific Northwest and prominent wine regions throughout the world. Enjoy a delicious cocktail at our bar with live piano music nightly or at our Roof Garden Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (180)fit for foodies (148)good for groups (125)hot spot (116)notable wine list (111)great for outdoor dining (101)great for lunch (93)neighborhood gem (78)romantic (76)vibrant bar scene (72)great for brunch (61)late-night find (36)kid-friendly (22)scenic view (12)Show More
- SandyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Fun, energetic, happening atmosphere, love the pianist. Excellent fish but the chef's creation lacked pizazz. I would expect more than plain rice as a side in a restaurant of this calibre. Tomato salad was delicious with ingredients of excellent quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Fantastic service! Loved our server who was so patient with us as part of our party was late arriving. Great dining!Special Features:
- Got the entree wrong but still goodCynthiaDined on 10/24/2014We normally have a great time here- it was still good, but they got my entree wrong. So, my husband ate his while I waited... Not a big deal, but I thought there might be some sort of comp- either the steak or a round of drinks. Server was great, venue was still fun. Just a bummer with the mistake and no real attempt to rectify it.Special Features:
- Awesome lunch dealLilo33Dined on 10/24/2014Although I have been here several times for dinner, I had never had lunch here until recently. The diner classics were a great deal at $9.95. There was a choice of 3 entrees. I had the chicken pot pie... I know, I know, why have chicken in a seafood place? But I saw the person at the neighbouring table get it and it looked sooo good! I was not disappointed. The chicken was tender and napped in a creamy flavourful sauce with carrots and peas. The crust was crisp and flakey. I could not finish it, but my dining partner happily polished it off. He had ordered the chef's special: a pan fried trout with squash puree and roasted vegetables. The fish was beautifully cooked as were the accompaniments. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- First time in Vancouver... good picgirlonherownDined on 10/23/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by the front desk staff at my hotel - when I asked for a good steak & seafood restaurant. Didn't disappoint and since I was eating alone at the bar, the bar staff were very engaging :)Special Features:
- Cold FoodcfoodeaterDined on 10/21/2014I had made my reservation 4 days in advance and still our table was upstairs in the back corner right in front of the server station. We were constantly bumped and interrupted by servers cutting bread and grabbing cutlery. The oysters, beer and wine and drinks were delicious aside from the very over priced "signature ceaser" wich was just a mediocre ceaser with a prawn for a garnish. After our appetizers we waited about 45 minutes for our mains to arrive. The flat iron steak and tiger prawns Im told were delicious, however my Cioppino arrived look warm and was overly garnished with a messy julienne of green onions and carrots. Over all the meal started out great but quickly spiraled into a low grade way overpriced seafood dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014You are very cared for at this restaurant. Not once did I ever feel the need to flag down a server to ask for something. They are very attentive but not invasive or irritating. Seamless service! GREAT food!Special Features:
- Really nice nightMoruglasDined on 10/20/2014Food and service were great. Loved the deal they had that included appie, main and dessert. They even brought our dessert with birthday candles as we were celebrating both our birthdays. Such a sweet touch. Want to go back to try happy hour!Special Features:
- What a lunchDuchess25Dined on 10/20/2014Brian was a fantastic waiter. We had already had dinner here a few nights before, but it was our last day in Vancouver so went back for lunch. Hubby thinks that Joe Fortes do the best ever prawn cocktail and enjoyed it so much he had one for a starter and another for dessert! The scallops was succulent and perfectly cooked. Great wine recommendation from Brian and Granville Island honey lager for hubby rounded off a great meal.Special Features:
- Business LunchMikeDined on 10/20/2014We were 5 people for lunch including 2 clients and 1 visitor from Germany. The service and food were top notch. Our server Jennifer obviously knew the menu well and made very helpful suggestions. Overall a very enjoyable visit. We will be back and I look forward to having dinner at Joe Forte's with my wife and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gee005Dined on 10/19/2014We love it here. The food, the ambience and service. I have been coming for almost 10 years, at least 3 times a year. I always have the sable fish, fresh oysters, the clam chowder and fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use a couple more startersBigToddDined on 10/18/2014The appetizer options are limited if you are not big fan of oysters or other seafood. Would be nice to see a couple of other options.Special Features:
- Another great mealWilberforceDined on 10/17/2014We've been here many times...Joe Fortes never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KurtDined on 10/16/2014While the food is always excellent (and they have a great selection of oysters) the menu hasn't been updated in at least 2 years. I find myself getting a bit bored with the selections...I've been here about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years.Special Features:
- Great experience!LollipopDined on 10/16/2014Husband and I were in town visiting family and dined at Joe Fortes in the past. Other family members had also been before so we all agreed best place for a gourmet dinner. I made our online reservation well in advance. Our table was in a very busy & noisy spot, however were promptly moved to a more quiet booth, which made for a more enjoyable time. Waiter was very attentive, knew the menu well & chatted with us, when he had a moment. Four of us ordered the three course special and one ordered off the menu. Steaks cooked perfectly, ravioli so flavourful & seafood linguine scrumptious. All our meals were delicious, beautifully presented & generous portions. Well done! We will be back & will absolutely recommend to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just awesomeGrassman69Dined on 10/16/2014Took some old and new friends out while I was in town. Food was awesome ! We arrived at 6 and closed the place. Excellent wait staff took great care of us and we wanted for nothing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy as alwaysTravelBugVIPDined on 10/15/2014Been coming here since the mid 80s and it never changes. Great food and service and terrific atmosphere. Some menu items are a bit pricey for what you get but for a special occasion a few times a year it's worth it.Special Features:
- outstanding!passingthruDined on 10/15/2014I brought my mother in for dinner while on vacation in Vancouver. From the doorman opening the door for us to Frenchy coming out to say good night the while evening was wonderful. Johnny was very knowledgeable not only about the menu and the wine, but he also was able to guide through the oyster selections with ease. Thank you, Joe's, for an evening my mom won't soon forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyNoisyDined on 10/15/2014This was the fourth time that I have dined here. Will not be back. Too LOUD - one cannot hold a business conversation without shouting. People are just packed in. Then on top of that they have a piano player pounding the keyboard. I would not even take my wife there on our own. We asked for the most quiet spot and had a table that every waiter went in and out of the kitchen. There are better places in Vancouver area to dine.Special Features:
- 25 wedding anniversary treatDuchess25Dined on 10/14/2014This is our 8th visit to Vancouver in the past decade. We discovered Joe Fortes on our first visit and always come back. My husband believes their shrimp cocktail is the best he has had anywhere in the world and we've travelled extenively. Great steak and superb seafood - our perfect combination. Service was excellent and Donna was a great server. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and a trip to Vancouver to celebrate wouldn't have been the same without dinner at Joe Fortes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around greatEricm1919Dined on 10/12/2014Everything we had was amazing. Couldn't recommend this restaurant more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not specialLocalDinerDined on 10/11/2014Joe Fortes is a long standing favorite but you sometimes feel it just pumps too many people through and you loose that personal touch. It was hit and miss when the waiter showed up. Food was served and the little things like offering pepper or even checking if all was right with the order was missed. At end of night waiter went off shift and never said anything only to have a waiter show up. Overall dinner was fine but just felt missing the attention to details!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crumpetDined on 10/10/2014Dining at Joe Fortes is always a memorable experience. Everything continues to be "outstanding" so there is not much more one can say. If you have not yet tried it, you should; if you have not been there for a while, you should return soon. You won't be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafoodbreathelifeDined on 10/6/2014We all had fish items which were so fresh and amazingly delicious. Cooked with unique herbs making them outstanding! Also the Keylime pie was a perfect grande finale!!!Special Features:
- Good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014We are two friends that meet in town every couple of months. We always have lunch at Joe's. It's a convenient location as we are both from out of town and come in by public transport. We love the atmosphere, and the staff are always attentive. The lunch menu offers a wide variety ....we like the blue plate specials, and also that some dishes can be ordered as half portions. Joe's makes our rare day in town a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncaring, Extremely UnprofessionalLovinitgirlDined on 10/5/2014It was for the bride & groom getting married this coming Saturday and we're in the bridal party. It was to be a time to remember. We also wanted to go over details. The groom is from Japan and we wanted to show him a beautiful experience. Not only had we reserved for 5 people through Open Table for an 8 pm on Sunday eve, they called us to confirm. At no time were we informed it would have to be for dinner only. We had eaten but wanted dessert & appies, just like we had THE WEEK BEFORE. We were shown the bar which would be impossible for 5 of us to chat. I mentioned the week before we reserved and had desserts, appies & coffee. The attitude we received was uncaring, unprofessional and shocking. Could not believe it. We left.
- Good2eatDined on 10/4/2014The oysters were outstanding (to use a much overused word) and the lobster too was very good but the whole meal including the service and choice of wines by the glass together with the nice airy atmosphere were up the standard I expect of a good restaurant and Joe Fortes continues to meet my expectations.Special Features:
- Always AmazingLKCanadaDined on 10/4/2014We recently had brunch on the last weekend before the upper outside deck closed. The service was top notch, the ambience of the outside patio lovely and the food wonderful. You can always count on Joe Fortes for a consistently good meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A major disappointment!NeveragainDined on 10/1/2014Always wanted to go to this restaurant because of the quality of the food! We're we ever surprised! Crab cakes for both of us sitting on a bland cole slaw loaded with mayonnaise. Totally tasteless! Thank God we were smart enough to share the New York cut steak. It was rather tasteless and tough. Half a carrot a couple of spoonful of zucchini and a mountain of french fries. Who could eat that? Why not buy steaks at COSTCO the Wagyu beef is better than what you served us. It was a total disappointment and rather expensive for what we got. You can be certain we will not return and will not recommend you restaurant! Although there was a long line up of young people who obviously have no idea of gourmet food and probably can't cook!
- Always happychrisVIPDined on 10/1/2014Always a good experience - excellent service and great food! one comment is that the tables are too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food dissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014Ambience and energy was great but food was cold and steak knife was dull. When you pay $45 for a steak and $100 for a bottle of wine you expect it to be awesome. After 45 minutes it was verging on cold and you'd have a hard time buttering toast with the dull steak knife. If it weren't for having to wait another 45 minutes I would have sent it back. It was a Tuesday night and very busy, like always. My wife's sockeye salmon was delicious however. We went to Cordero's for a nightcap...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can always count on it.JudeDined on 9/29/2014We have dined at Joe's many times and in different areas of the restaurant. This particular evening we had a business dinner for 8, four of them from Chicago. We were all impressed with the evening of drinks, dinner and the vibrant setting. Our table was tucked beside the staircase downstairs,which wasn't my favourite, but we made it work. Next time I will definitely request a different area, knowing that every server is a professional and the food is notably good in every section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointingluv5starsDined on 9/29/2014The food was not very good - like prepared in a conveyor line. Exceedingly noisy. A small odd shaped table; which at this price point is not appropriate. However, the waiter was great. This seems to be a restaurant for cruise ships and large meetings. However, we do like the outdoor bar on the roof.
- richibiDined on 9/29/2014the service, Michael especially, was outstanding, always eager to be of help, attentive without being obtrusive - the food was superb, and ample, too much, indeed, to eat - the not inexpensive tally worth every single penny of it - cheers, RichardSpecial Features:
- juno49Dined on 9/28/2014Great food. Great service. My friend from Toronto enjoyed the mussels and lobster. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Dissappoints!!JanicePDined on 9/27/2014Each time I come into Vancouver I make a point of spending time at Joe Fortes. The food and the staff are exceptional. I have introduced many friends to Joe Fortes and they have become immediate fans of the resturant. Thank you for a spectacular dining experience!!Special Features:
- would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The evening was a bust The food was less than average as was the service. Very pricey would not go back
- Great restaurantlovetodineoutDined on 9/26/2014Joe Fortes deserves an outstanding rating. The food is fresh and prepared perfectly. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphereHildaDined on 9/24/2014We odered the seafood tower it was great that we can tired several seafood with a great deal. We also odered two kinds of oysters and they all tasted very fresh and juicy. Plus, We love the bread dipping the lobster oil with balsamic vinegar and wondering where to get both products. However, we had a good time and will come back sometimes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular and noisyfinetushDined on 9/24/2014Good food, excellent service a bit too noisy for my liking. Why have televisions on the walls on the rooftop terrace? Are they really necessary in a fine dining establishment?Special Features: