445 N Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosebudrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3128327700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00 pm - 1:00 am
Sunday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Brunch Served Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chef Joe Farina
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rosebud Catering & Events brings the rich flavors of Rosebud traditions beyond the familiar atmosphere of our restaurants to parties and events throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. We guarantee to bring the same quality and excitement of the "Rosebud experience" to every guest at your event whether it be a birthday celebration or a corporate meeting. Sample menus and current pricing are available by fax or e-mail. Contact Rosebud Catering & Events at 773-325-9700 for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: A private dining space seating up to 30 guests will be avavilable for those looking for intimate wine dinners to larger social gatherings and events.
- Private Party Contact: Phyllis DeGeorge 7733259700x
- Special Events: Celebrate your special events with any of our Rosebud restaurants! We promise to make a most memorable event! Visit our website for more information www.rosebudrestaurants.com
- Cross Street: Illinois
- Public Transit: The Grand stop on the Red Line is .1 mile to the North East, on the corner of Grand Avenue and State Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available on Dearborn Street. The cost is $14 for the first three hours and $18 after three hours. Street parking is also available, but is often difficult.
A word from Joe Fish
Veteran Chef, Joe Farina and his talented team have designed a menu focused on fresh seafood flown in daily and prepared simply and tastefully, in the spirit of Italian and Mediterranean cooking. The menu showcases Farina's long-held seafood partners from coast to coast, all under one roof.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe Fish reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (72)hot spot (53)romantic (40)notable wine list (35)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Nice spot, bit priceyFoodguyDined on 10/26/2014Main courses are always tasty (I've dined here twice) sides could use some work (a bit salty with the broccoli and spinach). Service has always been great. Wait staff is very attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014One of the specials - sea bass wrapped in prosciutto was remarkably good.Special Features:
- Nice but overpricedMphsrebVIPDined on 10/20/2014Food and service were very good but the prices were needlessly much higher than comparable nice seafood restaurants. For that reason, I would not return or recommend Joe Fish. It is owned by the Rosebud restaurant group in Chicago.Special Features:
- Food AND serviceronjoDined on 10/19/2014Food was great and service was impeccable. Nick was our waiter and treated use like locals. Management chatted us up with great stories about Chicago. Really spent the time to feel welcomed and appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- megatronVIPDined on 10/18/2014Food was good. Restaurant was extremely noisy and uncomfortable Table for 2 was small and couldn't fit the meals we ordered. For the high prices they charge the total experience was not good
- Excellent new spot in River NorthMikeDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I decided on Joe Fish to celebrate a work accomplishment and we were not dissapointed! The service was excellent - friendly staff overall and catering to all of our needs. We had the house bottle of white wine (delicious and reasonably priced), oysters rockefeller were phenominal. My wife doesn't like much seafood and she was raving about how good the oysters rockefeller were. I had the blackened swordfish cooked to perfection and my wife had the hanger steak which was bursting with flavor. It is hard to go back to the same restaurant twice in Chicago with so many options but we will be back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDbrullDined on 10/17/2014I would highly recommend. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATfoodloverDined on 10/16/2014you have to try this place. great service and employee are so friendly and inviting. The food well is just phenomenal..so many great things to order it is difficult to just point one.... so go with multiple people to can have a bite of everything!Special Features:
- Great FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Our food was really good, from salad to dessert. Everything had a great flavor. Our service was amazing by far the best we have seen in a long time.Special Features:
- Excellent food and staff.SaporiVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is my second visit to Joe Fish. Staff very good and attentive. Food was superb. Great variety of fresh oysters and and fish. Steaks looked very good as well but the seafood is the bimb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food Great ServerTrippledVIPDined on 10/11/2014From Crab Leg appetizer, to brussel sprout w/bacon and pomegranate seeds, swordfish and salmon entree,;everything was cooked perfectly, delicious with nice sized portions. Our server, David Brickman, was outstanding! Great dinning experience except tables for two are TOO SMALL!Prices are high. Can't wait to go back for special occassion but will go with 3 or more to get a larger table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disapointing!Leeny59VIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to Joe Fish on a Saturday evening with a 7:00pm reservation. We had been looking forward to trying Joe Fish since it is a Rosebud restaurant - one of our favorite Italian restaurants in Chicago. The food was average at best and extremely overpriced. I had the scallops and short rib special that the waiter recommended and had to send it back because the short rib was a blob of fat and the scallops were cold. Most of the entrees on the menu are $10 higher than typical. My husband and I travel extensively and do not mind paying for a great dinner but this was far from great! I predict this restaurant will not last a year. There are many, many far better restaurants in Chicago with better food at better prices.
- Nice treat!FoodVIPDined on 10/10/2014It was outstanding. The service was a little spotty but the food was great. Halibut was one of the best I ever had.
- bistroVIPDined on 10/8/2014Excellent food and service. Look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Terrible service; average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/27/2014Comedy of mismanagement. At 8:05, told our 8:15 table not quite ready ... a few minutes. 8:35, FOH said 20-30 mins more. Talked to mgr. who said "that's Chicago on a Saturday night" & guests lingering too long. Eventually seated & it took 45 minutes to deliver our COLD shellfish appetizer (4 people). 45 minutes? Problem was not guests lingering. 2.5 hours for 2 courses. Problem was incompetent service/management & though we spent over $500, not even an offer of a comped glass of wine/dessert. Observed same issues at 2 tables next to us. They had also ran out of all but 1 of the breads (by 9pm). What they call bouillabaisse is plainly not -- no rouille, no detectable saffron, lots of tomato. More like a cioppino and an average one at that.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/27/2014The service was excellent and the highlight of the meal was the delicious bread. The main course was salty and everything was over sauced. I would not go back! Very expensive for the quality.
- Good food, large portionsFXRMacDined on 9/20/2014Food was excellent. Service was ok. They were out of the first wine I ordered. Very busy on a Saturday night, staff was moving very quickly about the restaurant and bumped into me several times while I was eating. Very noisy and not very intimate, might be better on a week day when they are not so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables went ahead of usChicagoVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was very unhappy because we saw many people go ahead of us. They didn't even offer us drinks or desert on the house and they offered the table next to us desert on the house. Very disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!!!WisnerEatsDined on 9/19/2014Honestly what an amazing find. The food is great. Our server made us feel at home but was not intrusive on our dinner. Definitely have a pumpernickel roll. We will definitely be eating there again!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pwr1VIPDined on 9/18/2014Delicious meal and wonderful staff. I was in Chicago on business and dined alone and the staff made me feel very comfortable. The dover sole was outstanding as well as the beefsteak tomatoe salad. No room for dessert but I am sure it is yummy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- You get what you pay for!foodie1993Dined on 9/18/2014I live in the area, and I've been to several restaurants in the neighborhood. My father was in town visiting, so we tried Joe Fish. The food was outstanding, and the portions were huge! While the menu prices may seem a little high, I was more than pleasantly surprised with how much food I received for the price. The halibut was definitely a favorite at the table, as was the calamari appetizer special, which was probably the highlight of the meal. While the food and decor was excellent, service was just okay. Having been to several other restaurants in the area, most notably, RPM Italian across the street, where service is superb, our waiter was friendly and nice, but it wasn't outstanding and he seemed to linger a little bit. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and wineliveforwine13Dined on 9/15/2014A number of top-notch seafood choices, great wine list, excellent service. I highly recommend the prosciutto-crusted sea bass. Can feel a tiny bit cramped with close tables but not too bad.Special Features:
- Great FoodfishnveggieloverDined on 9/14/2014The food was tasty, well prepared, and served professionally. I had bronzino. It was deboned perfectly at the table; it was delicious and was served with a wonderful sauce on the side. It came with broccolini that was cooked just right - firm. My only disappointment was absence of a chocolate dessert on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cross out steak; write in seafoodWestLoopFoodiesVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not really our style although the venue is very nice and the management is trying super hard to please. Even though we waited nearly 45 minutes past our reservation time (something that RARELY happens with Open Table), the management appeased us with a fee glass of wine while we waited. However, the fault was that of "diners who stay too long" rather than poor planning by the management. And don't let the name of the establishment fool you - the "fish" in Joe Fish could easily be a steak. To us it was just another "big food" restaurant that serves up giant quantities of salad & main courses focusing more on the quantity than quality. After wine, salad and rolls, we could hardly touch our main course. If you go, go hungry!!Special Features:
- Great seafood & fun atmospherepickyeaterVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our first visit to Joe Fish but not our last. We were seated right away for our 7:30 reservation and our waiter was friendly and attentive. Our table of 4 started with the calamari and fried feta appetizer and a dozen oysters. Very fresh and flavorful. Our entrees were the branzino (filleted at the table), dover sole, sea bass and the poached lobster salad. Sides included the sautéed mushrooms and the broccolini. Food was delicious and presentation was very appealing. Don't miss the garlic rolls served from a tray that a waiter brings around. I just wish they had offered seconds! For dessert we ordered cherry pie with vanilla gelato. They brought out a quarter of a cherry pie with a generous serving of gelato. Pretty room and great energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Helping with the rentf....RonnoVIPDined on 9/13/2014Was a bit put out by the prices. Then I learned it was a Rosebud restaurant. The waiter was both attentive and knowledgeable. I got the distinct impression he was working us over to pad the bill. I am not used to that other than my last visit to a Rosebud restaurant. We were loaded up on the entree's that should have been shared. I would expect our waiter to warn us on portion sizes. We were never offered bread although the bread person walked by our talbe 20 times during the course of our meal. The bread plates and butter knife sat empty the entire meal. Having been to Spiaggia 10 days earlier for the same cost per entree I found Joe Fish overpriced and not guest oriented but more server oriented. Great Food but way too much!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimHoVIPDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed our meal. We started with a Bang Bang Biscuit, which we have enjoyed many times at Bang Bang Pie Shop. I had Risotto with Scallops, delicious and a healthy portion. Husband had the Halibut special which came with Pomegranate sauce. Also a large portion. The entrees come with nothing. I do not like that restaurants all do that now. What ever happened with an accompaniment? Dessert we shared Profiteroles. Not good, portion enough for 5 people. One huge profiterole, filled with custard and gelato, covered on chocolate sauce. It was much too soggy. Did not hold up with all that stuff inside. The end result was, good food but I feel it was very over priced for what you get.Special Features:
- Loved it!!!!!BizBearDined on 9/7/2014One of the top seafood restaurants in Chicago!!!! Have been to alot of them and this is in the top five. Will be around for a long time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014This restaurant is everything you want when you go out for a nice dinner. The atmosphere, the food, the service!! All superb! We ordered lots of different things to share and it was all just amazing. Calamari, Oysters Rockefeller, Blackened Swordfish, Scallops! And the bisquits are to die for! Great selection of wines and cocktails to top it off!Special Features:
- NO customer servicesfdrVIPDined on 8/29/2014Two out of six of us sent our main courses back. One was so over salty you couldn't eat it. The other was sea bass which tasted of iodine. The chef came out and insisted that was was the taste of a miso glaze. Don't know what planet she was from! The manager deftly avoided our table. No apology was ever offered for the fact that two of us never had dinner. Too many other good choices out there to waste your time and money on this one.
- Fantastic!GJ12VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great food and service (Angelo is an outstanding server...a real "Chicago guy" who knows how to take care of a table!). Crab cake appetizer was fantastic! Can't wait to return!!
- Not greatabcdDined on 8/29/2014Food was very good but the place is noisy, touristy, kind-of-crude.Special Features:
- Joe FishMSJSLDined on 8/26/2014A very pretty place. Service impeccable. The special Cosmo martini one of the best ever. Lobster salad was excellent and the salmon quite good.It is a bit pricey. Mostly couples on a Tuesday night! MSJSLSpecial Features:
- Amazing foodAlexDined on 8/24/2014Amazing food, good service and beautiful place. Amazing food, good service and beautiful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty FoodSaltyDined on 8/21/2014Would not go back, food would have been good if it wasn't overpowered by sea salt. Finally asked waiter that no salt be put on our entrees. Had the Halibut, it was over cooked and dry. The cocktails were weak, the wine pours were small.Special Features:
- AceroniDined on 8/16/2014We had a very nice time. It was our 1 year anniversary. The food was delicious, the drinks well made. Our server was very attentiveSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Very over priced Flavors were unique and well prepared Service was goodSpecial Features:
- Didn't like italaboosDined on 8/15/201417 dollars drinks, overcooked lobster, uncooked potato and very salty halibut. That's what we've got. They stuff as many tables as they could which made seating too close and uncomfortable.
- Please (don't) pass the saltsheeatsDined on 8/15/2014Pros: received attention right away with water and cocktail order. Waiter brought a delicious amuse bouche, a fabulous detail that more restaurants should offer. Cons: blackened swordfish was WAY to salty, not flavorful or 'blackened'. Not good value for the money. Very expensive considering mediocre flavor, ambience & overall experience.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent. Loved the crab cake, our meal, and the beef steak bacon salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.