Joe & MissesDoe
45 East 1st Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Joe & MissesDoe
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://joeandmissesdoe.com/
- Phone: (212) 780-0262
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Closed Monday, Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch Staurday & Sunday 11:00am - 4:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Joseph Dobias
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Joe & MissesDoe caters lunch, breakfast and dinner. Chef Joe will even come to your house!
- Private Party Facilities: Rent us! We are alot of fun!
- Private Party Contact: Jill Schulster 212-780-0262x
A word from Joe & MissesDoe
Joe & MissesDoe got married and created a restaurant that is a combination of casual reworked American classic dishes and cocktails. With a great value and low-key atmposphere, Joe & MissesDoe will be come your favorite neighborhood spot!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe & MissesDoe reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for brunch (7)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Great BrunchPLBNYCVIPDined on 11/2/2014Super tasty brunch! Very casual and comfy environment. The biscuits are amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A twist on traditional breakfastChaddsDined on 11/1/2014It's a relatively small location. More bar than diner/restaurant. Great staff and atmosphere with great music. My wife and I split rib tip eggs Benedict and biscuits and gravy with andouille sausage. Yummy. We topped that off with bloody Mary's which were bery good. It's a little off the beaten track but worth the journey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best East Village BrunchNYFOODIEDined on 10/19/2014We made reservations for 5 for a Sunday afternoon and good thing we did---this place was hopping! The staff were warm and friendly. The service was a little slow but when we were served our meals we understood why---everything is presented by their masterful chef and the presentation was noteworthy. Our food was wonderful. My only disappointment was with the 'fruit' on my french toast which turned out to be a sliced apple-not very exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a sweet spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Really nice owes here. Great food. Superior drinks. A must go to placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!BigCityDined on 8/6/2014Although I live in CA, I visit NYC very often. NYC has so many great restaurants, but I keep returning to Joe & Misses Doe. The menu is always changing and the dishes are very unusual at first read on the menu. Jill (Misses Doe) does a great job of explaining what each dish is like. I was with a party of 4 and we all loved, loved, loved what we had. We started off with clever, unique cocktails that Jill creates. I loved mine (Jill's version of a whiskey sour) as did my friends. Don't skip dessert. When we went there was only banana bread with ice cream on the dessert menu. It's the specialty of the house and we get each time we're there. Yum! Joe does a great job with the food and Jill is a fabulous host. We feel like family.Special Features:
- The following 232 reviews are from the Joe & MissesDoe reviews archive.
- Winner for brunchMidasVIPDined on 7/19/2014Each time we eat here it just gets better. This is down home cooking at its best in Manhattan. Jill's service out front is always friendly and attentive. Five stars for the biscuits and gravy and if I could give six to the brisket hash I would.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Terrific drinks and food was great too. Personal service from owners was incredible. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunchTommyDined on 7/6/2014Freshly prepared food in interesting combinations. What more could you ask for? Pretty dining room? Got it. Friendly staff? Got it. Adult libations? Got it. In short, a terrific place for brunch.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood brunch spotManhattandinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great place for brunch, with some usual but delicious dishes (like the brisket hash). And the complimentary biscuits with honey butter are fabulous! Great service, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service are outstandinbarbarasDined on 4/6/2014The food and service are outstanding!! Love this restaurant! Jill and Joe are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/29/2014The menu is small but the food is tasty and inventive. Most of the liquor is small batch, which is fun, too. Located in a good area and not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindPamBeauVIPDined on 3/27/2014Really enjoyed this funky little spot. Had noted the restaurant's mention in a Food article in the New York Times about biscuits. Although those famous biscuits aren't served at dinner (disappointing), the meal was great. Very fresh. Unique flavor combination. I had the the Fat Man With Glasses burrito! Marvelous! The banana bread sundae was the only slight disappointment. Not bad. Not awesome. We'll be back for BrunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too little food, Too big pricespatrickmcnultyDined on 3/21/2014This place isn't nice enough to charge what they charge for an a la carte menu. The food was decent but too little and too pricey for what it was. The staff seemed sweet and I hope the owners will see the writing on the wall and shift their menu before their spot is replaced by another clothing boutigue.
- Always amazingChrisVIPDined on 2/22/2014Inventive menu, fantastic staff, and cute atmosphere. What more do you want? Love the sharing aspect of the menu. Order a bunch of stuff and have a flavor party in your mouth. Don't forget to try one of their signature cocktails. Never a miss.Special Features:
- underrated gem!lrmiller99VIPDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have been coming here for years (although we moved out of the Village several years ago now) and we still believe this restaurant is one of the city's most underrated gems. Brunch is fantastic (best french toast in the city, hands down) but the evolving dinner menu is also a must-try. really happy with our experiences each and every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth ItFrabboDined on 2/8/2014Nice cozy little spot, very nice and friendly staff, but very mediocre food and very high prices. I got a special. It wasn't very special. Better off going to a diner, comparable food, unbeatable prices.
- Tried and TrustedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014This place is just a feel good restaurant, with feel good food and attitudes. I am so lucky and happy to live around the corner from the most honest food. It is a no-fail, consistent restaurant. It's a little haven in the madness, and sometimes generics, of the LES.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat Here Now!JSNYCVIPDined on 12/31/2013A meal here is always a winner. Dinner or brunch, you can't go wrong. Order what catches your eye, and make sure to have one (or a few) of Jill's special cocktails. Joe & Jill put their hearts into this place, and it shows. Spend your dollars here rather than some corporate, assembly line place that just wants to turn your table.Special Features:
- Casual good timeMikeDined on 12/21/2013Food was interesting mostly hit the mark. Well made cocktails. Quiet early. Filled up and the energy picked up as the evening drew later.Special Features:
- Good food and nice locationLAinNYCDined on 12/13/2013The food was unique and tasty. The location is cozy and intimate. It was nicely lit and a little busy at times where a two-way conversation might include raising your voice. But a nice experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DIFFERENT AND WORTH ITXOXOVIPDined on 12/7/2013We were 5 for dinner. I had "The Honey beer" and recommend skipping it. Should have sent it back. Basically a glass filled with ice and the honey dripping down the glass. Had to lick my fingers. Then ordered a Gibson. Made the cut. They have only small batch brands so go with the flow. Snacks we tried that were great: wipped ricotta, fried matzos both great. Skip the pickles. We ate vegetarian so the choices are limited: the breaded broccoli, The Beet down, and the baked clams were wonderful. The vinegar slaw and the chedder white corn grits were over the top. Only two desserts and both were great end to the meal. Service staff were most helpful. Really had a good time at this unique establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!fiveborojohnDined on 12/1/2013Interesting spicy drinks. Interesting snacks and entrees. Definitely would recommend to anyone who enjoys a little heat in their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is tiny, but themjmnycVIPDined on 11/22/2013This place is tiny, but the food is delicious! I recommend the beer cheese, sticky wings, french dip dumplings, and the grits. This is a great spot for delicious, reasonably priced food - which, from my experience, can be a little tough to find in NYC. We ate an outrageous amount of food, all for under $100. I can't remember the last time I've been able to say that...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must stopSFvisitorDined on 11/16/2013Fun food, fun little place that I always go to when In NYC.Special Features:
- A little disappointedKtcatDined on 11/9/2013I appreciated I could book on Saturday night as a lot of other places you can't. The reviews I read were all glowing and particularly said that one of the owners who served them was really nice. I didn't get this vibe from her. She seemed annoyed by us and when one friend was alittle late she warned to order.I can appreciate that but honestly our friend wasn't that late and it set a bad tone. We had some starters which were nice. The when we ordered our mains we didn't realise that all the dishes were small and meant to be shared. I was going to get the clams but upon hearing there were only two, opted for the Mac and cheese. The majority of us had the Mac and cheese which was not really the food I was expecting on a night out for dinner.Special Features:
- Fun spotJHussDined on 11/1/2013We went at 7 on a Friday and the wait staff was really attentive and helpful. The menu was a little heavy on hot sauces and sriracha but that's just not my taste. The drinks were fun and inventive. The room is very small but not crowded. Better for small parties. We really loved it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small placeLucindaRogDined on 10/26/2013I love this place because it's so small, and the food is good, and the service is good. It's almost like American tapas; you just get a bunch of whatever you want and share it with the table. The *only* thing I didn't like is, the bar got really crowded and, since the place is so small, the people at the bar were basically standing on top of us and the servers couldn't even get through the crowd. However, it was Saturday night, so this maybe isn't a problem during the rest of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Food FindTime2PartyDined on 10/22/2013From the moment we entered this cozy, and warm space we were greeted by smiles, friendly conversation, and helpful explanations about the food, drinks, neighborhood, and so on. The four of us shared the spectacular chicken wings, toasted spicy hazelnuts, grits and collard greens, and the marrow butter. I would have preferred more marrow flavor, but it and all the rest of the items we ordered were excellent, including the beet salad, hangar steak, and so on. Loved the chocolate mousse cake. The service is top shelf. The restaurant immaculate, and the two women in our party of four both commented on the quality of the ladies room. As we left, we experienced the same sincere smiles and words of thanks from the waitress and bartender.Special Features:
- Inventive Comfort Foodbakedbeans212VIPDined on 10/19/2013Excellent Hot Fried Checken, good burger, inventive apps. May not be a destination place but if your in the hood its a must stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!BarbaraLynnCDined on 10/12/2013If you crave comfort food with a modern twist, this is the place for you. Every meal we tried was prepared perfectly. Highly recommend the hangar steak with homemade 57 sauce and the fish burrito. Incredibly tasty and satisfying. Also love the cocktails for two - super tasty and super fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phew!timcVIPDined on 10/11/2013As a fan of the former JoeDoe I was bummed to hear it was closing and reinventing itself. I am relieved and happy to report that the food is still fantastic, the drinks are still tight and the vibe is actualy better than it was before. A bit more low-key and the staff were fantastic. one of the only knocks on the old space was that it would sometimes feel a bit pretensious, for which I mostly blamed the host/staff. Not sure if these are new faces or just a new attitude but now the place is the full package. We went with a bunch of shares. French dip dumplings, shellfish, wings, mac n cheese, chili... all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing else like it in Manhattan!GlossGalVIPDined on 10/11/2013Joe & MissesDoe has a small menu (changed regularly), very few seats, and gets really noisy when it's full. And you'd be hard pressed to find a better spot in the East Village. Everything is done in house (i.e. pickles, nuts) and the food is clever (chili with burn ends? WOW!), as is the terrific chef and everyone who works there. It's a beautiful place with character in everything, from the art on the wall to benches on which you sit. Do. Not. Miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe & The Misses Are Rocking ItJSNYCVIPDined on 9/20/2013We were sad to see the former Joe Doe shutter, because we loved it. But the replacement, Joe & MissesDoe, is great. Same energy and creativity in the kitchen from Joe, at a lower price point and with a more casual menu. But, casual does not mean lower quality -- the food rocks. Highlights were the dumplings, warm romaine salad, baked clams (nary a breadcrumb in these bad-boys -- they tasted like the sea--awesome), hangar steak, hot dipped chicken, and the beer-braised shellfish. Nibbles to start are great --crispy duck skins might send you to an early grave if you eat them daily, but every once in a while -- sublime. Pickles are excellent, as are the deviled eggs and the bone marrow toast. And, Jill's cocktails are as good as ever. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurantsrickVIPDined on 2/3/2012One of the best restaurants in NYC. Been there several times and they never disappoint.Special Features:
- Was not crazy about my beefPaulDined on 12/31/2011Was not crazy about my beef tenderloin being cold. The drink creations were great though.Special Features:
- How does he do it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/17/2011Our first chance with the new winter menu and as always the selections were not just creative and unique, but vibrant in flavor keeping you at a level of excitement for the next bite-- ten next course-- the next drink -- the next visit!Special Features:
- Great experience, it's a must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/15/2011Everything was fantastic. Jill took exceptional care of us. Great ambiance and feel. You felt like you where in your mothers kitchen. We will definitely recommend to friends. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- limited menu for some, butindoattitudeVIPDined on 12/10/2011limited menu for some, but outstanding preparation and unusual combinations of ingrediants and textures.Special Features:
- The service was pretty bad.sdinerVIPDined on 12/3/2011The service was pretty bad. The waiter could barely recall the specials and we had to ask to order. There were lots of weird rules - the menu stated you could not take photos during dinner, then the waiter would not allow us to order appetizers until we had decided on entrees, and then they would only split the bill by two. None of these are particularly terrible in isolation, but in general the restaurant and staff seemed pretentious. The food was really tasty but they need to get over themselves.
- The food is always excitingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/2/2011The food is always exciting and the couple who run it are sweet.Special Features: