joan's in the Park
631 Snelling Avenue South
Saint Paul, MN 55116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
joan's in the Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joansinthepark.com/
- Phone: 6516903297x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Susan Dunlop
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our full menu is available for catering.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer semi private dining for up to 25 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Joan Schmitt 6516903297x
A word from joan's in the Park
joan's in the Park restaurant and wine bar is an elegantly cozy dining destination, located on Snelling Avenue in Highland Park, showcasing Chef /owner Susan Dunlop's distinctive American cuisine and Maître d'/owner (and Highland Park native) Joan Schmitt's first-class hospitality. We offer only the finest ingredients, sourced locally when possible. Our carefully selected wine and beer list will also appeal to all tastes. joan's is a must try, if you enjoy great food and amazing hospitality in a warm and inviting atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
joan's in the Park - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
joan's in the Park reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (121)fit for foodies (111)special occasion (100)romantic (69)great for outdoor dining (58)notable wine list (51)hot spot (9)good for groups (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Consistently wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/28/2014Joan's is great in so many ways; Joan herself, knowledgeable staff, fantastic food, and excellent service. We are delighted to have this special restaurant in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Splendid, as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014This was my fourth visit to Joan's, and each time the experience has been superb. Joan seated us and Dan was our server. Dan was exactly what you want in a server - knows the menu and the wine list well, and is attentive but not a pest. And the food was stunning. The charred beet salad was a great play of the earth beets against the apple, with subtle seasoning. And the subtle seasoning theme carried through to the market fish (whitefish) and the ribeye. I like that they let the main ingredients' flavors shine through, rather than trying too hard to season them. If I want to be immersed in spices, I'll go to one of my favorite Indian or Thai places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the CityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Joan's never disappoints! Great food and even better service. The Lobster Salad is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemStPaulieGirlDined on 10/24/2014Thanks for an amazing meal and wonderful hospitality! Love to have you in our hood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014We had been to Joan's previous just to site at the bar, but finally had a chance to have dinner. Every part of the meal was fabulous. From the appetizer to the salad to the entrees, all excellent. The service was wonderful, and the place itself is incredibly charming. We couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with qualificationsDaveDined on 10/23/2014The food was just excellent – imaginative, delicious, and well prepared and presented. The cauliflower "risotto" was wonderful. This review is a bit tempered due to the excessive noise level, beyond energetic to objectionable and irritable. We had a moderate wait even with an Open Table reservation that was 15 minutes beyond the first available time. It seems that some adjustment to the reservation system would easily remedy this. Given this, we will still be back often and with (very quiet) bells on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014Quite possibly the finest dining experience I've enjoyed this past year. Great food, brilliant, attentive and knowledgeable staff. It was my wife's birthday and they made it all the more memorable. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don"t let the store front fool youOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Joan's in the park is one of the best restaurants in town, on par with Heartland, Bachelor Farmer, and that ilk. Fabulous flavors, perfectly cooked and in appropriate portions, with doting but not intrusive service. Going back, definitely.Special Features:
- PhilthefoodieVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food and service were fantastic. My only complaint was the noise level from a large party at the table next to us.Special Features:
- Joan's in the ParkSmith007Dined on 10/22/2014Living three blocks from this Highland Park gem, and until now missing out on experiencing this fantastic restaurant, was a major oversight. We cannot overstate the terrific level of service, the outstanding food and the top notch wine. An A+++. We sampled several courses and would have difficulty in not having the exact same choices on a return visit. Definitely will revisit before the holidays!Special Features:
- A Very Nice EveningKermitthefrogDined on 10/17/2014The décor is attractive, the service is very good, and the food is outstanding. It's a bit pricey and the wine list lacks a house wine by the bottle, but otherwise, I would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Fantastic as usualKD19Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I love Joan's. The food and service is always spectacular. I would recommend the corn dumpling shrimp, lobster salad, and crab toasts for starters. The market fish is always perfectly prepared. Make sure to finish the meal with the signature brown butter pudding... WowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!chezjoeyDined on 10/17/2014I had the most incredible meal here! Everything was delicious and the service was great. Highly recommended!!!Special Features:
- amazing find great food family ranmeatloverDined on 10/17/2014I was trying to find a new restaurant to try in st paul and Joan in the park came up in my search. The food was amazing! Per my meat loving husband, best steak he has ever had. I had the market fish. Phenomenal. Food aside, you cannot top the mother behind the bar and her two sons serving. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!Flyboy99VIPDined on 10/15/2014What a delightful surprise! In our first experience with joan's in the Park, we had marvelous experience from beginning to end. The staff was very attentive and friendly, Joan was pitching in and interacting with the guests, and the food and wine were absolutely superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!HappyFoodieDined on 10/14/2014Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Joan and her crew up the ante at her truly wonderful establishment. Thank you for another great evening!Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary to us,FantasticDined on 10/14/2014Everyone from the moment we walked in the door wished us a happy 36th anniversary. Great service and server was gracious and friendly best filet we ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014We LOVE Joans in the Park~ We keep going back. The food is outstanding. All of the employees and the owners, Joan and Susan are just so kind and always make a point to check in with each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014We love it here! Feels like going to a good friend's home for dinner -- always so welcoming with great service and great meal!Special Features:
- Great FindAlexBDined on 10/8/2014We were looking for a nice place in St. Paul for a romantic dinner and lucked upon Joan's. We ordered the steak tartare appetizer, the rib-eye (rare - which is often overdone but wasn't at Joan's), the heirloom tomato salad & the pork chop; All of them exceptional. We shared a side of roasted potatoes (tasty, but nothing really special) & the apple dessert with cranberry sorbet (divine!) Our waiter, Dan, was very attentive and helpful with wine selections. The only caveat is that, while the outside of Joan's is pretty unassuming, all of this does come at a price. While a main dish can be had for under $30, you can very easily spend more than double that per person with the extrasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just greatLudo11Dined on 9/26/2014Live in the neighborhood and went for the first time after our engagement about a month and a half ago. Went again last night for my fiancé's birthday. Both times, the service & food were amazing and they made a special point of making our event special. Small place, so advanced reservations are a must, but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ResturantchowgirlDined on 9/25/2014What a wonderful family owned neighborhood restaurant. Service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Joan's in the ParkenjoygoodfoodDined on 9/23/2014is truly a gem. Staff is incredibly gracious and the food is always excellent!!!Special Features:
- Great food in Highland ParkGoodFoodDined on 9/20/2014Our meal at Joan's was fantastic from beginning to end. The crab toast was outstanding and the beef tartare could convert anyone squeamish about eating it. Everyone in our party of four enjoyed their meals, but those of us who ordered the filet especially loved every bite. This is not a quick, decent meal kind of place - the prices are worthy of a special night out and the wine list is very nice. Be sure to make reservations - it's tiny!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceKellynsDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I made a reservation based on a recommendation from my sister. We weren't disappointed. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable, the courses were timed perfectly, and the food was amazing. We're already talking about when we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no thanks...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014way too loud, very difficult to hear the person sitting next to me... it took 45 minutes before we placed our order and over 75 minutes before our food arrived. food was great, but the service and noise make it a place to skip..
- Simply amazing!JoEricVIPDined on 9/17/2014The service, food, and overall welcoming atmosphere makes Joan's a true neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable Joan'sFoodChicDined on 9/16/2014What started as a birthday dinner amongst 3 sisters, ended as a spectacular evening of fine dining and amazing service. In my reservation, I had mentioned my sister's birthday and we were all charmed that the table came complete with Happy Birthday glitter shapes on the table, lending a decidedly festive air. The service was amazing, while not being interruptive. The food was just delicious with unique sauces and seasoning. The overall ambiance was cozy and charming for what looked to be a simple storefront venue. The big surprise at the end of the meal was a kindly stranger, who anonymously bought our bottle of wine for us as a birthday surprise! It was a first, and as middle-aged diners, totally unexpected! Joan's is great!Special Features:
- Great food - lots of noisefoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful food but the noise level is way too high to be enjoyable.Special Features:
- BrasstarDined on 9/6/2014The food and service were outstanding. My wife and I will be back. The ambiance (we sat inside) is a bit like being in someone's living room. Go there with local friends. Our waiter made the evening. His wine pairing suggestions were spot on. They have a bar but the location of it is such where you WILL want a table. In short, food and service this good deserve a better inside dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMalkaDined on 9/6/2014We love joan's in the park, the delicious food, the wonderful (and personal) service, and the intimate atmosphere make this a perfect evening out. Definitely not a burger joint. This is where you go for a night out for a romantic evening with spouse, dinner with another couple, or a gathering of friends who enjoy high quality food and good conversation. It is a little pricey (but worth it) and not the place for energetic children.Special Features:
- Joan's in the ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014We really appreciate this restaurant for reliably excellent food and service and - in summer - the outdoor patio. The staff make you happy to be there from the moment you walk in. The menu changes with seasonal produce availability and Chef Susan is creative with seasonings for the standards. I had the day boat scallops and for summer, they are paired with fresh corn. My dining companion had the brine soaked roasted chicken with raspberry walnut reduction. We had the chili-rubbed, grilled carrots as a side. Dessert was an apple-corn cake that was presented like a tres leche - and was a delightful new taste experience. Love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Worth a visitsatisfiedDined on 9/4/2014The food was well presented and imaginative. Loved the squash appetizer, the cranberry chicken and the pudding dessert. Check out the menu before you go.Special Features:
- Best food ever!VdizeDined on 9/4/2014Love Joan's ! I go there often . The food is phenomenal I can't believe joan and Susan have not been solicited to open up a chain. Fantastic service, you cannot beat this place. I am constantly craving their food and I'm not pregnant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All this from pizza ovens?AlmostredDined on 9/2/2014Absolutely impeccable from start to finish. This is the old Grandpa Tony's location on Snelling and I am flabbergasted that Joan's can successfully pull off their menu using only a pizza oven. My companion and I had two starters, two entrees and two desserts, and they were all unassailable. The patio is well appointed and our server was professional, yet unobtrusive. He was able to be (or not be) where I wanted him to be (or not be) when I wanted him to be (or not be) there. Spendy for two people, but worth it, considering the cr*p I've spent similar sums on elsewhere.Special Features:
- Yummy, friendly, attentive, specialdinerDined on 8/29/2014We went to Joan's in the Park to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had fine wine at the bar while we waited a reasonable time for our table. The restaurant is family owned and operated, it shows in the personal attention they gave us without being intrusive. The food was delivered to our table by the chef. It was unique but not weird, and very tasty. We were surprised with a complementary celebration dessert and the gift of a photo of the two of us. Joan's on the Park is our new favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities.Special Features:
- innovative menuFoodieinvernessDined on 8/27/2014It is very difficult to choose from all of the interesting items on the menu. We had a very large sampling. Everything was delicious, but we particularly liked the crab toast, the pork belly tacos and the lobster salad. The food is very rich so be prepared. Nice wine list. Wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014It may have been a bit pricey but the food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Fabulous food and wonderful service. What more could one ask for? The crab toasts were to die for. The scallops were crispy on the outside but melted in you mouth. The braes was warmly fantastic. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday girlSmokeyDined on 8/21/2014My first visit. Dining experience was beyond what I expected. Food was exceptional, service friendly and knowledgable. Expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.