joan's in the Park
631 Snelling Avenue South
Saint Paul, MN 55116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
joan's in the Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joansinthepark.com/
- Phone: 6516903297x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Susan Dunlop
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our full menu is available for catering.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer semi private dining for up to 25 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Joan Schmitt 6516903297x
A word from joan's in the Park
joan's in the Park restaurant and wine bar is an elegantly cozy dining destination, located on Snelling Avenue in Highland Park, showcasing Chef /owner Susan Dunlop's distinctive American cuisine and Maître d'/owner (and Highland Park native) Joan Schmitt's first-class hospitality. We offer only the finest ingredients, sourced locally when possible. Our carefully selected wine and beer list will also appeal to all tastes. joan's is a must try, if you enjoy great food and amazing hospitality in a warm and inviting atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
joan's in the Park - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
joan's in the Park reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (124)fit for foodies (121)special occasion (107)great for outdoor dining (77)romantic (70)notable wine list (49)hot spot (6)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- innovative menuFoodieinvernessDined on 8/27/2014It is very difficult to choose from all of the interesting items on the menu. We had a very large sampling. Everything was delicious, but we particularly liked the crab toast, the pork belly tacos and the lobster salad. The food is very rich so be prepared. Nice wine list. Wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014It may have been a bit pricey but the food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Fabulous food and wonderful service. What more could one ask for? The crab toasts were to die for. The scallops were crispy on the outside but melted in you mouth. The braes was warmly fantastic. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday girlSmokeyDined on 8/21/2014My first visit. Dining experience was beyond what I expected. Food was exceptional, service friendly and knowledgable. Expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionbadgersDined on 8/19/2014First time visit. Owners introduced themselves. Food was great and would meet the toughest food critic's standards. The evening culminated with a birthday cupcake (which we were too full to enjoy at the restaurant) and a commemorative photo. First-class restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional customer service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Would recommend this restaurant to everyone! Very good food with a very personalized feeling. The whole staff, from the servers to the owner, to the chef, were all so so friendly and accomodating. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerkca1988Dined on 8/16/2014Joan's is a gem. Service was great - approachable yet appropriate. Started with a loaf of homemade bread, brushed with butter. I had the carrot tartare - minced carrots, accompanied by hazelnuts, microgreens, and a nice vinaigrette. Partner had the heirloom tomato salad on top of brioche. Excellent. Entrees were the chicken which was the most succulent chicken we've had. It's a large portion, with the breast somewhat rolled, and the savory/sweet glaze was amazing. I had the salmon with lentils. I would have liked the salmon medium rare, so wanted a lighter hand on the sear but it was a nice dish. We split the browned butter pudding, a cross between crème brulee and panna cotta. Great N/A beer in Thomasbrau. We'll be back. Delightful place.
- Great food. Small portions.MarcDined on 8/15/2014We returned to Joan's for the first time in a long while since it isn't very close to where we live. The food was fabulous as usual, and we love the quiet atmosphere amid great lighting and pictures. While we don't mind paying higher prices for excellent food, 3 scallops for $29 was really a shocker. Two of the scallops were large, the third of average size, but considering it was accompanied by just a small corn relish, we both felt that the price was over the top considering the portion size. They were an absolutely delicious 6 bites, but we don't expect to fill up on their delicious, hot bread when we're paying $29 for an entree. The pork chop was large and perfectly prepared, but the carrot side at $11 for 4 carrots was too expensive.Special Features:
- WOW the foodDAC13Dined on 8/13/2014Driving up, this place does not inspire. The outdoor seating does not look like much at all, and the windows could use a clean. So i was mildly worried as it was our Anniversary. But they did several special things for us. A Picture and a free dessert wine which was excellent. The food was amazing. This is gourmet, fit for foodies. The flavors and tastes were wonderful. We shared the crab appetizer, the Kale salad and a side of the carrots (OMG they were awesome). We each ordered a steak. We could have spit the rib eye easily. The wine was not 3-4 times what you'd pay at the liquor store either. The steak was a little under cooked, but we usually order Medium and hope its a bit on the med/rare and it was. Great flavor. We will be back.Special Features:
- Personalized wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014We've been eyeing the place for a while and finally made the effort to reserve for a summer Friday night. The food was excellent. When they encourage you to order the browned butter pudding, do not refuse. A pudding that comes with a rubber spatula to get every last bit can't be bad. My husband ordered steak and I had the scallops. Both were exceptionally prepared with light, seasonable veggies. We were going to order a bottle of wine and our waiter ended up recommending we order by the glass (which was less expensive) so we could have a better wine pairing with our dishes. He was right. It was spectacular. Unexpected treats included hot bread fresh from the oven and a chocolate wine for dessert. Definitely planning a return visit.Special Features:
- A real treatMplsminDined on 8/8/2014The food was interesting and beautifully presented. The crab toast appetizer was delicious. The wait staff was friendly and able to advise on wine pairings and dishes (without being pushy or overly chummy). The patio faces on Snelling, but was still a pleasant and relaxing option. The restaurant asks you to limit a patio meal to 1.5 - 2 hours, so we chose indoors for our second visit to allow enough time to savor the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemenjoygoodfoodDined on 8/6/2014Gracious hospitality offered in a residential storefront. Staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and the food is amazing. Though the menu is small, the choices meet a variety of tastes. Food presentation is artful and there is a great wine list! Best of all, diners are encouraged to enjoy their meal without haste. Prices are moderately high, but diners enjoy fresh, organic and mostly locally grown food. Highly recommend Joan's in the Park.Special Features:
- tobyDined on 8/5/2014The food was all delicious. This was my first visit to the restaurant, and the food was great,but the portions were not proportionate to the pricing. I hesitate to recommend without a caution of that. Staff was all friendly.Special Features:
- A favoritegbwedinaVIPDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful food with family-like service makes Joan's one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbieDined on 8/2/2014Filet was cooked to perfection and a sizable portion for the price. Scallops could not have been any better with taste and texture surprisingly succulent. What can I say about the fresh baked loaf of bread. Made in the oven by their own pastry chef and could be a meal in itself with a fresh lettuce salad. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- ExcellentkenmichDined on 8/1/2014Our first time at Joan's, recommended by friends. We definitely will be back. Server was super friendly and helpful, and the food was fantastic - loved the crab toast appetizer before our steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harriette jandricCookieDined on 7/30/2014Fabulous food!!!! Nice owners and staff. Would go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulous!weder001Dined on 7/26/2014We reserve Joan's always when we want to take special guests out to dinner....and we have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Great Patio DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Had a wonderful meal on the patio the other night at Joan's. Menu has some nice new additions for the season. We tried the lamb ribs with strawberry and cucumber. Definite winner there! Great service, as always. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Worth the wait!champlinfoodiesDined on 7/25/2014Every bite we had was delicious. Because of their small size, we couldn't get the six of our family members in near our birthdays in April, so we aimed for my father-in-law's in July; the two-and-a-half-month wait was worth it! The crab toasts were awesome, and the corn fritters and shrimp were yummy. Two cuts of steak, and the daily salmon were all delicious. Maple-glazed roasted radishes were awesome, and good potatoes always win my vote! Per other reviews, we had to try the brown-butter pudding: I understand it's trendy now to put salt on desserts; I am not a fan, but despite those sour notes the rest of the pudding made up for it for me! My husband really enjoyed the bread custard, too. So very pleased we made it there!Special Features:
- Table for 2 Birthday CelebrationkjomitchDined on 7/23/2014From the moment we walked in we were greater by friendly, professional staff. Service was great. The bread made in-house was reason enough to come back. Ordered the lamb ribs and squash to start. AMAZING. Entrees were great as well. My favorite part of the night was having our photo taken with the birthday cupcake (on the house) and getting a hard copy of that photo given to is before we left. The brown butter pudding was incredible! We will definitely be crossing the river from Mpls To STP again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb FooddiningcoupleDined on 7/23/2014A great place for a steak or chicken entree. Let the help choose the sides and the wine...they know what they are doing. Interesting and delicious appetizers. Very friendly staff and a personal touch on all the food.Special Features:
- DavidVIPDined on 7/22/2014Tonight I tried some new items.. The lamb ribs were one of the most incredible food treasures I have ever eaten. They were moist falling off the bone with a slight sweet/spicy sauce drizzle on the plate. In addition we had a carrot tartare, it had a perfect combination of mustard seeds, blue berries, walnuts and a perfect vinaigrette drizzled on the plate. I stepped away from my normal steak and tried their Pork Chop. WOW!! it was cooked to a perfect medium, extremely moist with just enough char grill on the outside. Each piece I cut I added a little smear of her rhubarb barbecue sauce (This in itself is an amazing taste treat), this combination of smoky pork with the sauce made me smile in delight every time I took a bite. AMAZING !!Special Features:
- Great DinnerAlexDhugalDined on 7/22/2014It was my birthday and my partner took me to Joan's, after the great time we had on Dining Out for Life day. The folks remembered us from that day, and we charming and gracious at all times. They even gave me a birthday cupcake and each of us had a glass of a dessert wine to celebrate the day. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner for sure.shhhDined on 7/12/2014This was our second visit to Joan's in the Park and it certainly didn't disappoint. We brought San Francisco residents (probably the best restaurant city in the country) and they were both pleased with their selections. The scallops got a rave, the filet was perfectly cooked and everyone loved the side dishes. While the noise level became a bit intrusive as the evening went on, we will return for the food and good service. The wine list was also pleasing.Special Features:
- RomanDined on 7/11/2014Excellent food and a fun atmosphere! A little pricey but all of the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014This was my second time at Joan's - first time was in the fall of 2013 and we had a superb dinner. Menu was small but very creative and extremely well-prepared. I was surprised coming back the 2nd time to see the menu had changed very little given the limited offerings and I felt as though the entrees were more fitting for fall/winter than summer. Also a bit disappointing this time was the service.Special Features:
- Perfect Patio to enjoy dinner !!DavidVIPDined on 7/8/2014Had a delicious steak dinner sitting on a quaint covered patio !!! They always are coming up with exciting new ideas, this time I tried some Pork Belly that was just perfect, salty, crispy and rich !!! YUMMYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tulane81Dined on 7/6/2014Nice ambiance, food and menu mediocre at best. Staft very friendly service was just okSpecial Features:
- FantasticPhillipVIPDined on 7/2/2014Best Restaurant in St. Paul, service is outstanding and the food is extraordinary.Special Features:
- Patio Dining!oregonduckmdVIPDined on 7/2/2014We had a tremendous dinner (again!) at joan's in the Park. We dined outside on the fantastic patio and the meal was out of this world. Out of town guests were impressed and delighted with all of the suggestions Dan made as our server. Chef Susan's preparation of our dinner, from appetizer all the way to dessert was phenomenal! Dan and Joan made sure the wine glasses stayed filled! See you again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in Highland ParkTheSistersDined on 6/27/2014Joan's in the Park is truly a neighborhood gem! The food was amazing from the fresh bread to the delicious dessert. The restaurant is family run, so the service is top notch, warm & friendly. We were served by the owner's son and ordered his recommendations. We started with a crab toast appetizer and a house salad that is a bib lettuce ceasar with fried oysters. We then split a rib eye and monk fish special. It was so good we came back the next night and ordered a different appetizer and entrees, but had to have that salad again!Special Features:
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2014The food was imaginative and delicious. Fantastic from starters through dessert. Service was attentive and thorough, without being ever present. A great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joan's in the Park is AMAZINGlike2dreamDined on 6/26/2014Joan's in the Park exceeded my expectations once again! The menu is innovative, fresh, and ever-changing...as is their wine and port list. The staff are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about service, food, wine, and life. Lots of people are 'regulars' for nights out and special occasions because the vibe that goes with it all is so great. It's special.Special Features:
- unique and elegantsonyaDined on 6/25/2014the menu had many unusual options, ensuring that I will be back to sample more. It's a place to go to enjoy your meal and take your time savoring every mouthful. It is NOT a place I would bring my kids, no chicken fingers or french fries, thankfully. It is small, so reservations are a very good idea. The fish I had was seared snapper, very delicate and delicious . My husband had thick juciy bacon wrapped pork chop with a smoky savory taste. The dessert was a brown butter pudding with cream on top, was so good they bring you a spatula to scrape every last morsel out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/25/2014An inside corner was the perfect spot for an intimate dinner with my wife. The patio looked like a fun place for friends and groups. No chance for a spot in the small parking lot.We arrived early enough to accommodate the stroll through a charming neighborhood from our on-street parking spot. The entrees and staff were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeBirthdayBoysDined on 6/25/2014Two of us who are retirees go for dinner to celebrate each other's birthdays. We like to try different restaurants and this was our first time at Joan's. The staff was friendly and the service was attentive but not disruptive. The bread loaf served with the salad was warm and delicious. We both had the filet which were cooked perfectly and was one of the best we have found. We finished with the cheese plate which was a very nice mixture of different textures and flavors. Joan's is definitely now on our list of restaurants to return to soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014This is the first time that I only was intrigued with one selection. The side plates had only one selection that I was excited about. But my meal was good. I also was disappointed with the food that was served with my scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine night on the patioOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014We had a wonderful dinner on the patio the other night at Joan's. The food, ambiance, everything was perfect. Our out-of-town guest was very impressed with the filet, and my husband and I enjoyed the pork chop, which was tender with a delicious, smokey flavor. Dessert did not disappoint, either; we had their signature brown butter pudding and their bread custard. Overall, a splendid night with good food and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationshollyDined on 6/21/2014Really enjoyed diining here on Saturday. Outdoor space was fantastic, service very professionsal and the food was spot on. Flavors, seasoning were great. It was the type of meal that you remember! Drive from the NW surburbs was worth it! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.