joan's in the Park
631 Snelling Avenue South
Saint Paul, MN 55116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
joan's in the Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joansinthepark.com/
- Phone: (651) 690-3297
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Susan Dunlop
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our full menu is available for catering.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer semi private dining for up to 25 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Joan Schmitt 6516903297x
A word from joan's in the Park
joan's in the Park restaurant and wine bar is an elegantly cozy dining destination, located on Snelling Avenue in Highland Park, showcasing Chef /owner Susan Dunlop's distinctive American cuisine and Maître d'/owner (and Highland Park native) Joan Schmitt's first-class hospitality. We offer only the finest ingredients, sourced locally when possible. Our carefully selected wine and beer list will also appeal to all tastes. joan's is a must try, if you enjoy great food and amazing hospitality in a warm and inviting atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
joan's in the Park - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
joan's in the Park reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (123)fit for foodies (114)special occasion (99)romantic (64)notable wine list (55)great for outdoor dining (48)hot spot (11)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fantastic ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014By FAR the best filet anywhere in metro area (yeah, better than Manny's)! Great wine selection. Great service. Could not ask for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner every timeLauran211Dined on 11/21/2014Probably my 6th visit to Joan's, and it consistently amazing. Excellent food, great wine, service tailored to the pace you want. Perfect place for gluten-free eaters as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious hospitality and incredibly good food!ChaseGordonDined on 11/18/2014Though space is very small, Joan's ranks "big" for all the right reasons: Staff welcomes guests warmly, offers excellent selections of beautifully presented food, and perfectly balances good service without being intrusive. Prices are moderately high, but I have NEVER been disappointed. Diners definitely need reservations, and though I suspect they welcome walk-ins, it is unlikely a table would be open - so reserve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014Great food, friendly staff and over the top service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darling spot for date nightRyanKyleMommyVIPDined on 11/14/2014We were impressed with our first visit to this little restaurant when we came for date night this past Friday. We had 7:45 reservations (a must, its cozy!) and arrived 20 minutes early to enjoy a drink at the bar. The owners / waitstaff are so friendly and attentive - but not annoying - and the atmosphere is cozy and comfortable, like a large extended dining room! Our drinks were thoughtfully topped off when our table was a little slow to turn over, and we didn't mind lingering at the bar a little longer. The drink list was smart, but not overwhelming. The wine list was good, but not enormous, as was the menu. The food, however, was OUTSTANDING. Every single thing we ordered was delicious - the potato gnocchi, the beet salad, the crab toast, the steak, the monkfish, and especially the browned butter pudding. This is the type of meal you linger over - perfect for a date night or a night to catch up with old friends. Great job Joan's -- we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite you can count onDuckeyDined on 11/14/2014This gem is consistently serving most well prepared dinners. The service is wonderful and it is cozy yet feels elegant too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in St PaulFun2dineDined on 11/7/2014One of the best meals had in St Paul. This small family owned restaurant puts out an unbelievable food product. We were very impressed by the thought, creativity and detail of each dish. Our waiter was fantastic and very knowledgeable about each dish. With his recommedations we tried many things including the smoked lamb ribs, corn dumplings and crunchy shrimp, crab toasts, kale Caesar salad, charred beet salad, and the scallops. Each one was more delicious than the next. The crab toasts, a Joan's in the Park favorite are an absolute must, as was the beet salad! We ended with the brioche bread custard, another must! A wonderful neighborhood spot to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!SnowyDined on 11/1/2014This special small restaurant is delightful. A nice menu, with enough choice to make you scan again, a wine list of solid, but not too expensive choices, and wait staff that pays exactly the right amount of attention, it is a sure destination for a wonderful evening. I tried the delightful tacos, and others at my table the scallops, filet mignon and chicken, and each was prepared to absolute perfection. I have eaten tacos many times in the Southwest, Mexico and the big cities, but never experience the exceptional flavor and unique taste such as these. The scallops and the steak were gone before I could look up again, and the chicken was smacked upon and described as the best I have ever eaten. Wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Becoming a traditionBojackerDined on 10/31/2014Although we've been to Joan's on the Park multiple times our favorite spot to enjoy Halloween is there. Last year we had such a fantastic experience that we decided to reserve a table again this year. I was a little nervous as we enjoyed ourselves so much last year it would be tough to duplicate. My caution was unfounded. As soon as we walked in Dan the maitre d greeted us, remembered us and got us off to a great start. We were early so he seated us at the bar for a few minutes to enjoy a glass of wine. Joan's was busy but comfortable. Our table was ready for us in a few minutes so we moved over and Mark took over. The service was wonderful as usual and the food was fantastic. We're looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Consistently wonderfulfoodieDined on 10/28/2014Joan's is great in so many ways; Joan herself, knowledgeable staff, fantastic food, and excellent service. We are delighted to have this special restaurant in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Splendid, as always.PennsiveGuyDined on 10/28/2014This was my fourth visit to Joan's, and each time the experience has been superb. Joan seated us and Dan was our server. Dan was exactly what you want in a server - knows the menu and the wine list well, and is attentive but not a pest. And the food was stunning. The charred beet salad was a great play of the earth beets against the apple, with subtle seasoning. And the subtle seasoning theme carried through to the market fish (whitefish) and the ribeye. I like that they let the main ingredients' flavors shine through, rather than trying too hard to season them. If I want to be immersed in spices, I'll go to one of my favorite Indian or Thai places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the CityZugsDined on 10/25/2014Joan's never disappoints! Great food and even better service. The Lobster Salad is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemStPaulieGirlDined on 10/24/2014Thanks for an amazing meal and wonderful hospitality! Love to have you in our hood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experiencebillmilwaukeeDined on 10/24/2014We had been to Joan's previous just to site at the bar, but finally had a chance to have dinner. Every part of the meal was fabulous. From the appetizer to the salad to the entrees, all excellent. The service was wonderful, and the place itself is incredibly charming. We couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with qualificationsDaveDined on 10/23/2014The food was just excellent – imaginative, delicious, and well prepared and presented. The cauliflower "risotto" was wonderful. This review is a bit tempered due to the excessive noise level, beyond energetic to objectionable and irritable. We had a moderate wait even with an Open Table reservation that was 15 minutes beyond the first available time. It seems that some adjustment to the reservation system would easily remedy this. Given this, we will still be back often and with (very quiet) bells on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMarcus1967Dined on 10/22/2014Quite possibly the finest dining experience I've enjoyed this past year. Great food, brilliant, attentive and knowledgeable staff. It was my wife's birthday and they made it all the more memorable. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don"t let the store front fool youOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Joan's in the park is one of the best restaurants in town, on par with Heartland, Bachelor Farmer, and that ilk. Fabulous flavors, perfectly cooked and in appropriate portions, with doting but not intrusive service. Going back, definitely.Special Features:
- PhilthefoodieVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food and service were fantastic. My only complaint was the noise level from a large party at the table next to us.Special Features:
- Joan's in the ParkSmith007Dined on 10/22/2014Living three blocks from this Highland Park gem, and until now missing out on experiencing this fantastic restaurant, was a major oversight. We cannot overstate the terrific level of service, the outstanding food and the top notch wine. An A+++. We sampled several courses and would have difficulty in not having the exact same choices on a return visit. Definitely will revisit before the holidays!Special Features:
- A Very Nice EveningKermitthefrogDined on 10/17/2014The décor is attractive, the service is very good, and the food is outstanding. It's a bit pricey and the wine list lacks a house wine by the bottle, but otherwise, I would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Fantastic as usualKD19Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I love Joan's. The food and service is always spectacular. I would recommend the corn dumpling shrimp, lobster salad, and crab toasts for starters. The market fish is always perfectly prepared. Make sure to finish the meal with the signature brown butter pudding... WowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!chezjoeyDined on 10/17/2014I had the most incredible meal here! Everything was delicious and the service was great. Highly recommended!!!Special Features:
- amazing find great food family ranmeatloverDined on 10/17/2014I was trying to find a new restaurant to try in st paul and Joan in the park came up in my search. The food was amazing! Per my meat loving husband, best steak he has ever had. I had the market fish. Phenomenal. Food aside, you cannot top the mother behind the bar and her two sons serving. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!Flyboy99VIPDined on 10/15/2014What a delightful surprise! In our first experience with joan's in the Park, we had marvelous experience from beginning to end. The staff was very attentive and friendly, Joan was pitching in and interacting with the guests, and the food and wine were absolutely superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantrickyDined on 10/14/2014Joan's is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is always terrific, wine great and service wonderful. We love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!HappyFoodieDined on 10/14/2014Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Joan and her crew up the ante at her truly wonderful establishment. Thank you for another great evening!Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary to us,FantasticDined on 10/14/2014Everyone from the moment we walked in the door wished us a happy 36th anniversary. Great service and server was gracious and friendly best filet we ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014We LOVE Joans in the Park~ We keep going back. The food is outstanding. All of the employees and the owners, Joan and Susan are just so kind and always make a point to check in with each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014We love it here! Feels like going to a good friend's home for dinner -- always so welcoming with great service and great meal!Special Features:
- Great FindAlexBDined on 10/8/2014We were looking for a nice place in St. Paul for a romantic dinner and lucked upon Joan's. We ordered the steak tartare appetizer, the rib-eye (rare - which is often overdone but wasn't at Joan's), the heirloom tomato salad & the pork chop; All of them exceptional. We shared a side of roasted potatoes (tasty, but nothing really special) & the apple dessert with cranberry sorbet (divine!) Our waiter, Dan, was very attentive and helpful with wine selections. The only caveat is that, while the outside of Joan's is pretty unassuming, all of this does come at a price. While a main dish can be had for under $30, you can very easily spend more than double that per person with the extrasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just greatLudo11Dined on 9/26/2014Live in the neighborhood and went for the first time after our engagement about a month and a half ago. Went again last night for my fiancé's birthday. Both times, the service & food were amazing and they made a special point of making our event special. Small place, so advanced reservations are a must, but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ResturantchowgirlDined on 9/25/2014What a wonderful family owned neighborhood restaurant. Service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Joan's in the ParkenjoygoodfoodDined on 9/23/2014is truly a gem. Staff is incredibly gracious and the food is always excellent!!!Special Features:
- Great food in Highland ParkGoodFoodDined on 9/20/2014Our meal at Joan's was fantastic from beginning to end. The crab toast was outstanding and the beef tartare could convert anyone squeamish about eating it. Everyone in our party of four enjoyed their meals, but those of us who ordered the filet especially loved every bite. This is not a quick, decent meal kind of place - the prices are worthy of a special night out and the wine list is very nice. Be sure to make reservations - it's tiny!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceKellynsDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I made a reservation based on a recommendation from my sister. We weren't disappointed. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable, the courses were timed perfectly, and the food was amazing. We're already talking about when we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no thanks...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014way too loud, very difficult to hear the person sitting next to me... it took 45 minutes before we placed our order and over 75 minutes before our food arrived. food was great, but the service and noise make it a place to skip..
- Simply amazing!JoEricVIPDined on 9/17/2014The service, food, and overall welcoming atmosphere makes Joan's a true neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable Joan'sFoodChicDined on 9/16/2014What started as a birthday dinner amongst 3 sisters, ended as a spectacular evening of fine dining and amazing service. In my reservation, I had mentioned my sister's birthday and we were all charmed that the table came complete with Happy Birthday glitter shapes on the table, lending a decidedly festive air. The service was amazing, while not being interruptive. The food was just delicious with unique sauces and seasoning. The overall ambiance was cozy and charming for what looked to be a simple storefront venue. The big surprise at the end of the meal was a kindly stranger, who anonymously bought our bottle of wine for us as a birthday surprise! It was a first, and as middle-aged diners, totally unexpected! Joan's is great!Special Features:
- Great food - lots of noisefoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful food but the noise level is way too high to be enjoyable.Special Features:
- BrasstarDined on 9/6/2014The food and service were outstanding. My wife and I will be back. The ambiance (we sat inside) is a bit like being in someone's living room. Go there with local friends. Our waiter made the evening. His wine pairing suggestions were spot on. They have a bar but the location of it is such where you WILL want a table. In short, food and service this good deserve a better inside dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.