JNA Institute of Culinary Arts
1212 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
JNA Institute of Culinary Arts
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.culinaryarts.edu/
- Phone: 2154688800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Joe DiGironimo 2154688800
A word from JNA Institute of Culinary Arts
The small 7 table dining room is fashioned after a Quaint European Terrace with water features and located near the Avenue of the Arts---perfect for dinner & a show. The prix fixe menu changes quarterly & is served and prepared by culinary students. Open for dinner Tuesday through Friday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
JNA Institute of Culinary Arts reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (28)romantic (28)good for groups (13)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Gourmet Food without the Gourmet $friendoffoodDined on 9/18/2014Although not much to look at, this restaurant gives its attention to exactly what I come for, the food. The service staff are courteous, friendly and knowledgeable about menu items. The prix faire menu will not disappoint, with at least four options in each of four courses. As for cost, at 25 dollars per person (and half of that if you're lucky enough to score a Groupon), you won't believe the quantity and quality. An added bonus is that this is also a BYOB restaurant.Special Features:
- Wish it was more!DennisMotianiDined on 9/17/2014I so wanted this to be a good place to eat. Took my family out, hoping that we would have good food and a nice ambiance. Some of the food was worth the trip, but the main course was nothing to write home about. Than God I was using a Groupon, or else I would be really regretting my choice. The server didnt maintain eye contact, and neither did she communicate. I know these are kids but someone should talk to them before they put them to test. Please dont punish the kids, just use this to motivate them, they have a bright future.
- Hidden GemAnneDined on 9/17/2014This is truly a hidden gem that you would easily overlook if you didn't know it was there. Our menu was based on Belgian dishes. From the spring salad, to the mussels, to pork tenderloin with cabbage and apples, finishing off with Belgian Chocolate S'mores, the meal was outstanding. Try it - you won't be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014It was a wonderful evening, complimented by the food and your staff. This was our second visit to JNA. We invited another couple knowing they would enjoy the food and the ambiance. They were very impressed with the evening. The menu was so well prepared with such a variety of special dishes. I was so happy we were able to enjoy JNA again. I look forward to our next visit. I believe the gentleman who waited on us his name was Terrell, he was a pleasure. So thank you again for a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrdrcatDined on 9/5/2014Vegetarian options need work...they were kind of bland. The servers didn't seem comfortable serving.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperiencebelovedDined on 9/4/2014The food service and atmosphere was great! The overall experience from the wait staff greeters and cooks done a great jobSpecial Features:
- Great gemladiesluv2dineVIPDined on 9/3/2014Fantastic, excellent, quality of the food was great and our server Zack was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014We attended JNA with friends and had an enjoyable meal. The wait staff (Javier) was excellent as was the food. The place only has 9 tables so it has an intimate atmosphere which was conducive to a quiet conversation among friends. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!annetteDined on 9/2/2014This was our second visit to J&A and it was even more spectacular that the first. Everything from service to great food was memorable. The best part is, though, watching careers grow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprisewollawsDined on 8/28/2014Nice place to go for dinner. Menu changes with the season. Good food for the price.Special Features:
- It was greatGreattimesDined on 8/28/2014The food was great. The service was great also. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- excellent foodcw0602Dined on 8/26/2014THe food was wonderful. The menu changes seasonally and is always great. The resturant is a small room at the school but it is decorated very nicely so the atmosphere is good. Very few tables which makes it intimate. The servers are all students there at the school and are very attentive. They do a great job. I would highly recommend this resturant if you are willing to try different dishes.Special Features:
- sublimeX4meVIPDined on 8/21/2014Ignore the cheesy ambiance; the food is really good for the price. We especially enjoyed the Thai mussels, the pork tenderloin, and the frisee salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2eatLove2eatDined on 8/21/2014Overall the experience was very good! The dining area could use some major updating! The menu choices were good .My hubby ordered the pan roasted chicken which he absolutely fell in love with! I ordered the steak which was undercooked for my taste.The mussels (appetizer) were absolutely delicious! My server, Richard ,was very attentive & truly aimed to please! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great valuenicknameDined on 8/19/2014I feel that it is important to remember that the staff are students with varying degrees of experience. By giving the most honest and constructive critique, it would really be useful in helping these students excel. On the night that I dined, I believe there was a little miscommunication between the kitchen and the service staff. The portions were perfect, and the course and was done very well. We were told after ordering our starter but they were out of that particular item. Also, there was a bit of a rush to get our dessert order in. no one from the service staff came back to see if our meals were to our liking. Other than that, everything was very enjoyable. In fact I purchased another Groupon and look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JnaPhillyfoodieDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant is in need of a makeover to make it more up to date and appealing. The service was lackluster, but efficient. Our server couldn't remember the ingredients in some of the dishes, and appeared aloof at times. Our main course of steak and potatoes was under seasoned, and had a blandness reminiscent of cafeteria food. The first two courses (mussels and salad) were good. Dessert was apple cake. It would have been better served warm, with a caramel sauce. Instead, it was served very cold. Not sure if I'd go back or not. It was okay, but not stellar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueFrankHVIPDined on 8/12/2014Enjoy a meal from future chefs, School to teach the future. The try to please, and are attentive.
- JNA-A wonderful experience!dine4cheapDined on 8/8/2014When I first saw the groupon for JNA, I wondered if it was a place that we would enjoy going as a family. The food looked a little too sophisticated for our son and our daughter is a picky eater. I am very happy that I decided to fight my gut feeling. The staff was very patient of my son's million questions and requests, and my little guy raved as each new course appeared. My daughter was also happy with all of her courses! Our table managed to order almost all of the choices for each course, allowing us all to taste just about everything on the menu, and I must say that I didn't taste anything that I did not like. Amazing experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy!!!yummyDined on 8/5/2014It was our first time there but not our last. The service was really attentive. Our waiter was very knowledgeable of the food on the menu which sometimes when you go to restaurant the staff has no idea. The food came out in a timely manner and was delicious. The instructor made it a point to come to every table and she was so nice and proud of her students. It was a very pleasant night out, We will be back.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationCWelshDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I took my mom there for her 83rd birthday. We had such a nice time, atmosphere reminded us from when we were dining in Italy. We never had Belgium cuisine before and we simply enjoyed every course. Our waiter made our evening more enjoyable when they put a candle on my mom's desert and sang. Nice touch. Can't wait to go back and of course I am spreading the word.Special Features:
- selbee48Dined on 7/29/2014We dined at the restaurant in August of 2013, this was our first visit. The food that evening was extremely good and our party of four were most impressed. This recent visit a few days ago was disappointing as we rated the food as good, but it never reached the heights of our previous visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryDined on 7/29/2014I very rarely write reviews, but everything was perfect at our meal at JNA last Tuesday, and that most certainly includes the price. I did not notice any lapses in quality, an ice-bucket was set up for our wine, and we were most certainly not rushed. The tables are far apart, so we felt almost like we were alone, even though about 7 of the 10 or so tables were occupied. A very relaxed atmosphere, where the server had time for light chatting, and the main course meats were very high-quality, as were all the sauces, the warm bread, the desserts, etc., at a price-fixe of only $25.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star DiningBroadwayBoundDined on 7/29/2014JNA Institute of Culinary Arts changes the menu about 4 times a year and they always have something for vegetarians in each of the 4 courses. The school has created a very charming and relaxing dining atmosphere, the waiters are also students or teachers and are very attentive and friendly, I feel at home here as I come often. Usually I come when they open at 4:30pm because I can get a reservation then more easily. I usually come alone and feel very comfortable doing so. The food is presented very attractively, like in a 5 star restaurant, and is tasty. Also it is very near a subway stop.Special Features:
- First VisitTimeshareAdvocateDined on 7/25/2014Bought Groupon offer and used it for friend's birthday. Four course meal with about 4 or 5 selections per course from price fixed menu, that varies by season. We experienced the Belgium menu and are looking forward to returning in future for other seasonal menus. Choices were difficult because many of the options were tempting. Nice place to try for slightly more adventurous eaters, who are willing to try new dishes or old favorites prepared in new ways. Am hesitant to go into the city for dinner sometimes due to parking concerns / cost ,but free parking was readily available on street! Staff eager to please. Reserve early; can accommodate a limited number of diners in order to provide the best possible experience for diners and students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finicky eaterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014My Uncle Ed is 88 years old and a finicky eater and hard to please, after his meal at JNA Institute I believe he wanted to dance he was so elated with his meal and dinning experience. ThanksSpecial Features:
- A surprising Gem!deedeeDined on 7/25/2014Found JNA by accident and was very pleasantly surprised! Nice atmosphere, very pleasant servers, good service and excellent food, and the price was right! Our dinner came out in a timely manner and the presentation was was impressive. We had the mussels with four different sauces and they were all excellent! Thank you for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizardDined on 7/24/2014A pleasant surprise in South Philadelphia. An excellent way to train the next generation of restauranteurs. The food was excellent and the service solicitous.Special Features:
- Prix-Fixe FeastTomKDined on 7/18/20144-Course delightful exploration of the cuisine of Belgium. Like going to Brussels without the air fare. Menu changes often though, so you may experience a different locale. Students put their energy, creativity and inspiration into this bargain dining experience. Might have to wait fora reservations--but well worth it!Special Features:
- Leisurely meal, to our delightAestheteDined on 7/16/2014Inspired menu, so-so execution. Still head and shoulders above other restaurants' fare! Deservedly popular good wine list, too- I had a Gewurtztraminer with my pork chop, which was a delectable combination. Dessert was well executed, but the selection was a bit heavy, in typical Belgian fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love that placeMistymoonDined on 7/16/2014This was my 4th dinner at JNA and I will go back again. I will watch for the next menu in the fall and return again. This dinner my complants would be the pork should have been sliced thinner. I would have been easier ot cut. The taste was wonderful. The cabbage under the pork should have been cooked more. Everything else was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- pwj1Dined on 7/15/2014location was good off street parking, food was also good.Special Features:
- ToniDined on 7/15/2014The food was good. The waiter we had Terrell was very polite and very accommodating. The bread was the best we ever had. The supervisor I think her name was Christina was also very nice. The steak was outstanding. We will defiantly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful First NightcedsDined on 7/9/2014We found out when we arrived that it was the first night of the new menu, but we would not have known it otherwise. Service, food, hospitality were all great. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JNA Mediterranean for Date NightSouthPhillyFoodieDined on 6/18/2014I booked a reservation for my boyfriend's birthday. I was a little skeptical, 4 courses for $30? And BYO? I was expecting either the dishes to be tiny or not mediocre. The theme of the menu was mediterranean. We each ordered an item we could try/share. I was definitely surprised with everything that came out. I enjoyed everything: The Sheppard's Salad and Shrimp Pil-Pil we stand out starters. I had the Lamb. I expected the dish to be 'spicier' but the lamb itself was extremely tender and delicious and the whole meal was very filling. Let me finish by complimenting the pastry chef. OMG desserts...They gave us an extra dessert for my bf's birthday. They were all incredible! Service was friendly and attentive. Definitely would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok restauant school owner very goodgourmet1Dined on 6/17/2014This is a restaurant school and feedback is important to them. Ambience is less than average: large open room with no cushion for sound. A few tables in a large room does not make for an intimate or exciting experience. Waiter tried hard, but was not accurate about the food. Food was interesting, but spotty. My dining partner loved it. I thought it lacked good texture and flavor and wasn't terribly impressed with several of the courses. I liked the innovative ice cream desert. Because it is a restaurant school, the owner wanted honest feedback. When we gave our opinion, he gave us back the groupon that I had used, telling us to come back. So our meal was free. That was a very nice gesture and we will go back to try it again.
- JNAScooty4226Dined on 6/13/2014It was a lot of fun for adventurous foodies to try different foods from different countries. No one rushed us to leave. We were able to talk, enjoy food from various countries we had never had before and decide whether we wanted to travel to those countries! Our waiter could not have been more friendly and personable!Special Features:
- Dining experiencesgs321Dined on 6/13/2014The staff was very pleasant. The ambiance & service was good. The portions were very adequate, but my food had very little taste. I don't like spicy food, but the steak had almost no taste and the whipped cream served with the strawberries was also tasteless. My wife' Cauliflower soup was excellent, as was her Greek salad, and her Phyllo custard dessert were good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/11/2014The food and the menu options were quite notable. I enjoy the change of seasons menus. Would definitely recommend this to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatDined on 6/10/2014Great experience and an opportunity to try new dishes without worrying about the price. Food was excellent. We have been there 3 times and will go back. Wish we lived closer.
- beermanDined on 6/10/2014with groupon you can't beat this deal especially on the way to the Phillies game. I would go back if convenient. I don't live nearby.Special Features: