329 Gambrills Road
Gambrills, MD 21054Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jkingsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4109232005
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: James McCarthy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Maryland's Premier Caterer-With our twenty years of experience, King's Catering provides dedicated and friendly staff to cater your every need. With an emphasis on quality, freshness and affordability, we can serve your every need. From a simple drop off to a catered event for 500 people, we can do it all. King's Catering also provides on-site Banquet facility catering. Choose to dine in one of our three private dining rooms and let us work with you to create your perfect day.
- Private Party Facilities: Dine in front of our warm and Cozy fireplace in our newly renovated dinning room, or watch your favorite game on our flat screen TV"s in our Tavern Room or our newly renovated Lounge with Flat screen TV's, Leather Couches and our warm fireplace.
- Private Party Contact: Allyson Hughes 8775614110
- Entertainment: Live Music on our patio, Wednesday thru Saturday. Don't forget about our Special events calendar which can be found on our website www.JKINGSrestaurant.com. We have monthly specials such as comedy nights, trivia nights, charity events and our music specials.
A word from J.KING’S
J.KING’S Restaurant (formerly Kaufmann’s) has been a Maryland Landmark since 1937. J.KINGS specializes in the freshest and finest seafood as well as our signature steaks and pasta dishes. J.KING’S has been famous for the best hard-shell crabs in Maryland, featuring our enormous "Monster Crabs". Patio Season is here and we are ready, come join us on our outdoor patio for great food while enjoying the beautiful weather or cozy up to our outdoor waterfall bar for drinks and appetizers. On chilly nights, have cocktails next to our outdoor fireplace. There is live music on the patio Wednesday through Saturday And six outdoor TV's to catch all the action. The patio at J.KING’S has quickly become the hot spot and local gathering place, so come check it out. If it is crabs you are looking for, J.KING’S is the place. We serve the best hard shell crabs all year round!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J.KING’S reviews from OpenTable diners
- Descent and PoorGunzoDined on 5/12/2013Steam Crabs seem good and specials seem reasonable (not ordered but seen). The Surf and Turf special was very poor quality Lobster and Sirloin. Background noise is expected but it seemed extra loud and it was only 1/2 filled. Not cozy. Server Samantha was great !
- Great Friday Night dinnerTmcgregorDined on 5/10/2013We were a party of six. We had steak, crab cakes, and whole crabs. Everything was delicious and the wait staff was terrific. Will definitely try again and sit on the patio to listen to music.Special Features:
- Hits and Misses at J. King'sSusieBVIPDined on 5/2/2013We've been going to the former Kaufman's - now J.King's - for a number of years. If you've never been, the restaurant is built around a historic trading property that has been there for years; located near I-97. Service is good, patio is a great addition. Crab cakes were excellent. But the baked potato had been sitting around for a long time - the skin had totally separated from the potato, and the potato had long given up its fluffiness for waxiness. The stuffed shrimp had sat under the heat lamp and had developed a skin over the imperial sauce. we always bring friends here for crabs - and will be doing so in a couple of weeks. And the more limited menu available outside seems to be consistent and quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch and music - nothing better.KimiDined on 4/28/2013It was very quiet when we arrived except for the jazz music, which was a great background - not too loud that we could not converse. The only negative is that we had to track down the waitress for drink refills. After that she regularly came by to offer refills. Also one of our party was in a wheelchair and the ramp was perfect for easy access.Special Features:
- We ordered the Medium crabs.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013We ordered the Medium crabs. What we should have ordered were the Jumbo crabs. Crab cakes were delicious and the burgers were huge. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Really loud. Totally averageadiuguidDined on 4/13/2013Really loud. Totally average food. Waitress abandoned us.Special Features:
- Great food, service, and awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Great food, service, and awesome band. Stephen Paul Heller was the singer. Was fun and relaxed! Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- In our fist time at J.Kings,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2013In our fist time at J.Kings, after the long journey of finding a parking place, we ventured inside to find a nice, dark ambient front room. We were immediately seated far from the bar and had a very attendant waitress. The buffalo chicken sliders were excellent as an appetizer, and there was a good assortment of beer on draught. The food was of good quality, but the crab cakes sadly did not feel up to our par. Good, but not of that price point. The rockfish was very good, however. Our only complaint came with the noise. Though far from the bar, at around 6:30PM the volume increased noticeable decibels. I imagine that had we gone earlier, or on a non-Friday, it would have been fine. But, we did find ourselves leaving quickly afterward.Special Features:
- Food was Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013We already recommended the restaurant immediately after our visit. Food was so delicious! We are definitely coming back to try out the Sunday brunch!Special Features:
- Worth a 2nd tryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2013It was quiet because the place was nearly empty. We had issues with some of the food and other items were very good. Sent back the lobster (which was past its best by date) special with the unidentifiable vegetable. Crab soup, steamed shrimp and salads were pretty good. Service was great- they offered another entree or dessert for the returned meal which they also took off the bill. So we will give the place another try.
- Enjoyed our dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/14/2013Enjoyed our dining experience for a small birthday gathering (group of 10). Second time we have dined here in the last few months in both cases they were "out" of some of their food items on the menu (including the nightly special, which many were excited to order to only find out they were out). One food item had to be sent back because it was a bit to tough, but despite this we had a great night. Although under different ownership, it is still nice to dine in a neighborhood gem. Would go back and dine again.Special Features:
- We use to go to Kaufmans butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/7/2013We use to go to Kaufmans but haven't been to the new place, there were a lot of bad reups on the internet... but who believes that.. everything was excellent! The food was delicious the atmosphere beautiful the stuffed shrimp very tasty!!! Best I've had so far... will be going again in the future for sure will recommend to my friendsSpecial Features:
- The 4 of us were originallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2012The 4 of us were originally seated downstairs, but live music soon began and we could not comfortably hear each other. We were graciously moved upstairs (King's has two separate seating areas) and the noise level was fine (even with sports on the tvs). The steaks we ordered were delicious and cooked exactly to order.Special Features:
- We made reservations but unknowinglNoThanksVIPDined on 11/24/2012We made reservations but unknowingly they put us in a sports bar area. Only later did we know that there was a formal dining area (which we expected).
- Four of us were there forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012Four of us were there for brunch....food was great and everyone was very friendly and attentive. Loved the music playing. Well worth the price for this experience. We would definitely do it again....Special Features:
- We wanted steamed crabs andPaulineDined on 10/20/2012We wanted steamed crabs and J.King's delivered. We started with some crab soup, yum yum, and by the time we finished, our crabs were ready. Lots of Old Bay, not too much salt so they were perfect. They were very prompt with service but did not hover. We'd go back in a flash.Special Features:
- Not so much.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2012Not so much. Worn out, drab place ... and the food ... I'd take a pass. Sorry.
- Great food Great crab haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012Great food Great crab have not had as good crab in Michigan were we are fromSpecial Features:
- This was the first time IThomasVIPDined on 9/22/2012This was the first time I had been back since it changed to J. King's. I was very impressed with the expanded menu and the changes made to the rooms downstairs.Special Features:
- Outdoor Dining FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012I frequent J King's about every other week. I always order something different and the food is great every time. Jumbo or Monster crabs are to die for!!! Service by Marc is awesome.Special Features:
- Great crabs and shrimp. SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2012Great crabs and shrimp. Special thanks to our serverJulia and Anthony the manager.Special Features:
- Food was good, although moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012Food was good, although more expensive than similar restaurants in the general area. It was crowded, which is expected for a Saturday evening at 8:00. There were lots of kids, which is not something that this couple is ever looking for. We were seated immediately so very much appreciated the ability to make a reservation on-line. Give it a try!Special Features:
- We were greeted by the ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012We were greeted by the owner and shown the new indoor=outdoor bar/dinign area which is a great addition particularly if you are eating steamed crabs with a group of friends. We finally settled in the dining area just off the main bar area. The waitress was very attentive and we ordered the crab dip as an appetizer which was good but lacked the presence of crab meat we expected. Dinner was also disappointing. The blackened Tilapia tasting very plain, not the typical spicy flavor associated with a blackened preparation, served with a spooned out mound of white rice with some julianned mixed vegetables. J. Kings needs to improve their food if they want to be more than just another bar serving food.Special Features:
- Excellent service, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2012Excellent service, food was very good. Wait staff was on top of everything. I highly recommend J. KingsSpecial Features:
- Seven of us went for crabsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2012Seven of us went for crabs and enjoyed them very much. The Maryland crab soup was excellent! They were out of mussels which was a disappointment but we soon forgot about it because of all the other items we enjoyed. The staff were very accommodating to our request to sit outside after they had arranged for us to be inside, and then to change tables so we would be more out of the sun.Special Features:
- I have been to J. Kings twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2012I have been to J. Kings twice and have not been extremely impressed with the quality of the food. I guess I will have to go and try the "all you can eat" crab feast that everyone talks about. Food seems to be overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- The best crabs in MD! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012The best crabs in MD! Great all- you- can eat, very meaty crabs! Live music, good bar drinks. Love this place, wont go anywhere else for crabs! Ask to sit in the atrium if you can, its the best of both worlds. You feel like your sitting outside (lots of natural light) but has the comforts of padded chairs and AC.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012My wife and I were looking for a place to have dinner and we decided to visit J.King's. let me say what a great restaurant! Your staff was very friendly and were very quick with service. It didn't hurt that the band played well and made the atmosphere more enjoyable. We sat facing the outside bar which looked like a lot of fun. I'm sure we will trying that out soon to. If you are looking for good food and a place to unwind I recommend J.King'sSpecial Features:
- J.King's great service isOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2012J.King's great service is always our return criteria. Our server Jason was on his game ensuring that we had everything we needed for a small business meeting. His attentiveness and patience were greatly appreciated. My guests enjoyed the food and beverages, selecting from a wide variety of choices. Can't wait to return to J.King's. Sincerely, Art HuseonicaSpecial Features:
- Three of us had crabs. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2012Three of us had crabs. They were full and flavorful. We got the "all you can eat crabs". They were a good size, and they kept coming without having to ask.
- incredible crabs!!! The HogOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012incredible crabs!!! The Hog Hammer appetizer . . . meat fell right off the bone! Yum! Delicious brownie sundae. My daughter was practically licking the plate. Will be back for more!
- My steak was very fatty andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012My steak was very fatty and way over cooked. My oarents and brothers had the all you can eat crabs and they very much enjoyed them. I was just very disappointed in my meal. I don't think I will ever eat here again, but my family dines at J Kings a few times a year.Special Features:
- Think it OverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2012Had all u can eat crabs put in dining rm with carpet what a mess on floor web site doesn,t say about atrium seating should have been informed , this is bad planningSpecial Features:
- Pretty darn good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012The food , service and Ambiance were very good this is a good place for crabs, they have all u can eat and by the dozen. they have extra jumbos that cover half your plate but they r pricie. I will return to J Kings and I would recomend it to a friend. ps the prime rib was very good.Special Features:
- Great Food Great service butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2012Great Food Great service but the outdoor music was too loud.Special Features:
- There were 8 of us in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/23/2012There were 8 of us in our party and everyone's food was excellent. We were seated in the formal dining room but would probably have preferred the more casual dining area. The formal dining area was a little warm. The server (Jen) was excellent!Special Features:
- Come for dinner, don't do brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2012On Mothers Day we went to JKings for brunch in their main dining room. So, for Fathers Day we desided to go again and it was not a good experience. They moved Buffet to the outside bar area, and tried to seat us at a table with tall barstools. With two young children and a disabled adult, that qasn't going to work Nd when I told the very young hostess that she scoffed at me like I was nuts. the standing food attracted flys. They took off almost all the seafood items, making the $22 price tag a but over the top. Our waitress, Jamie, was pleasant Nd nice, though not always attentive to our drink still, she was ok. I heard the manager lecturing the staff on my last 3 visits. Still, they have made improvements overall, but don't do Brunch
- While the menu offering wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2012While the menu offering was varied, it was disappointing to not be able to substitute a side. The food was good and it was well presented. The desserts were tasty but for a $50 per person dinner I don't expect my dessert to come with a plastic spoon. The server was attentive and friendly. Two of the three in our party experienced stomach issues the next day. We won't be returning.
- Variety of formality - great placeGulfHillsFoodieVIPDined on 6/2/2012Had a great time eating crabs on the patio with my Fiancée and "tween" kids on a Saturday evening (6pm). Interesting place, has a super casual outside bar area (sort of beach bar feel), a covered, open area next to the bar that is a little more refined and more formal dining inside. The seem to have taken the best of the old Kaufmanns and improved upon it. Crabs were great, service was attentive, food delivery a little slow, but it was creeping up on "prime time" and we were not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Wasn't impressed. Will notOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012Wasn't impressed. Will not be returning to the resturant.