JJ’s Bistro and French Pastry
3447 Waialae Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
JJ’s Bistro and French Pastry
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jjfrenchpastry.com/
- Phone: 8087390993
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 9:00am - 12:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from JJ’s Bistro and French Pastry
JJ’s Bistro and French Pastry is a French bistro located in Honolulu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
JJ’s Bistro and French Pastry reviews from OpenTable diners
- Tasting menu is the way toOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/16/2012Tasting menu is the way to go, everything is delicious and just the right size. Chocolate pyramid is to die for!Special Features:
- We always enjoy our experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2012We always enjoy our experiences at JJ. As usual, the food was tasty and well-presented. Our server was sweet and attentive, with a strong command of the restaurant, menu, and service skills. The only thing that was puzzling was how long it took for my OpenTable points to reflect on my account; for 3-4 days, my status was "pending." I am not sure if this is a glitch on behalf of the restaurant, but I have never experienced this before. Fortunately, it was finally cleared up and the 100 points were added to my account. Thank you.Special Features:
- Food was pretty good. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/12/2012Food was pretty good. We had the 4 course meal and enjoyed everything. Only problem was that it took a very long period of time btwn each course to receive our food.....our waiter at least kept us informed and also made good food suggestions.Special Features:
- Food was very good and reasonablycsfmdVIPDined on 7/20/2012Food was very good and reasonably priced. Waiter however made repeated errors on the bill initially giving us someone elses, then not subtracting a gift certificate etc. We were in a rush to leave and it was delayed.Special Features:
- Love JJ's!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2012Great Laotian/French fusion food with fantastic desserts (We had to take some home, too) in a pleasant Asian/European cafe atmosphere for an incredibly reasonable price. A four-course meal and coffee or tea for only $19.95, plus $1 more for their famous chocolate pyramid and $2 for a specialty coffee. Entree portions may be a little small for some male diners, but they are just right for most women, especially when you have to save room for the luscious desserts! Service was a little slow on Sunday night because it was a full house and there appeared to be only one waiter and the woman at the front had to be hostess, cashier, and person in charge of the pastries, but it's a great place to enjoy conversation and a leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Not much of a selection forPointyMouthDined on 5/13/2012Not much of a selection for a Sunday brunch.No kids menuFood portion, small
- The food is good and portionsBlehDined on 5/11/2012The food is good and portions perfect for me but may be on the smaller side for most who are used to more. Love that you are able to eat a 4 course meal for a decent price.
- Bon Appetite.... Yum!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2012We stopped in for lunch for a quick bite to eat and were really amazed on how fresh and terrific the food really was! Fresh and local ingredients are the key words here... The Pot Pie with fresh fish was truly delicious. The Cornish Hen was very flavorable and moist. But what you really come here for is the incredible desserts. So many to choose from, and each one taste better then the other. I admit I had two, just couldn't resist. We will just have to come back for dinner. Seriously, come check this place out! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Not quite what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012Not quite what we expected from reading the other reviews. They do not have a liquor license so "bar" in thier description refers to coffee bar. There is a wine shop on the next block so we went there and were not charged a corkage fee. The restaurant was short staffed that night so the wait for service was to be expected. The food was good but we were a little suprised to see food being carried down the block from another location to the restaurant.Special Features:
- The Cacao Cafe is more elegantSparkyDined on 3/26/2012The Cacao Cafe is more elegant version of JJ's Bistro that is apparently a neighborhood favorite here one mile behind Diamond Head in the neighborhood of Kaimuki. YOu can bring your own wine with no corkage fee! The room is ecclectic, modern Asian-ish,clean, well lighted and roomy. I enjoyed the complete experience. And remember; this chef is a dessert specialist and has many individual tarts, mouses, or Chocolate Pyramids to choose from in the showcase! Cacao is a good value.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andCindyVIPDined on 3/23/2012The food was delicious and atmosphere very plesant. I would highly recommend you experience dining for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Had a very pleasant dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/25/2012Had a very pleasant dinner here. Food was very good. Nice to have a good option in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- A bit overpriced and we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012A bit overpriced and we were ignored for about a half hour in the beginning, but it was prix fixe for valentine's day and we were a group of four. Food tasted good.
- If I had a complaint aboutMattDined on 2/14/2012If I had a complaint about this excellent meal, it would be that they stuck us in a small back room. Aside from that, the food from the Valentines prix fixe menu was outstanding. Based on this meal, I would eat here again.
- Suggest a thicker cut of Steak.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Suggest a thicker cut of Steak. NY was not the best quality. The prices are good, but should charge a few dollars more to have a better cut of meat.Special Features:
- It's a surprisingly largeDeeeDined on 12/31/2011It's a surprisingly large restaurant with several partitions that set off a private room, quieter back area, main dining, and cafe areas. The decorating is an eclectic mix. The desserts are both visually stunning and delicious.Special Features:
- The food was surprisinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011The food was surprisingly good!! Really, I was impressed! Very quiet cafe.Special Features:
- The food is okay but not spectaculaSwingDaddyDined on 12/28/2011The food is okay but not spectacular. Good presentation, but a little disappointing in taste. I would only recommend the venue for special occasions, were you would enjoy the atmosphere more. The only food item i would recommend is the Warm Cacao Cake.Special Features:
- Service was good but the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2011Service was good but the food took a while to come out. The server was friendly. The food was wonderful but I wished there was a little bit more on the plate. Loved the desserts. I want to go back and try the tea service with my mom.Special Features:
- My husband loved his food,katsatVIPDined on 11/18/2011My husband loved his food, mine was ok. The service was very nice, but inefficient.
- Pricing was reasonable, portionselsidsterVIPDined on 10/30/2011Pricing was reasonable, portions were small, food quality was below average, and that opinion was shares by all of our group. I ordered lamb medium rare and it came out well done. A rack of lamb is typically more than two pieces. The staff was polite, but besIdes for serving water, and clearing dishes, were just going through the motions, with no interest as to how our meal was or providing an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Prix Fixe meal is a greatcsfmdVIPDined on 10/19/2011Prix Fixe meal is a great value! 4 courses with soup, choice of appetizer, entree and desert. Desert choices are between 4-5 on the menu and anything in their desert case! Ambiance is nicer than JJ's their other restaurant and some of the food is the same. Not certain why they have 2 restaurants next door to each other.Special Features:
- I'd rather go to Town, next doorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2011Very slow but polite service. They boast "home of the warm chocolate cake," however our soufle was overcooked and had an eggshell in it. The rest of the meal was pretty good, not great.
- Service junk, food not filling.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2011The food was good, but the entree portions were really small. The service was really bad toward the end We sat near the kitchen. Our appetizers were brought out right past our table and to the front, near the pastry display. After a cople minutes the waiter brought it to our table. Why couldn't he just drop it off first? After we finished our dinner, the waiters kept walking by our table and didn't clear away our dishes, or refill water. Took them 1/2 hour to ask us if and what we wanted for dessert, which we had already ordered in the begining of our meal. They need to learn to clear the tables first before bringing the next course. The restaurant wasn't that busy. I'd say it was steady. Food is good. Not much, not filling, but taste ok.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, uniquelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2011Outstanding food, uniquely presented, excellent value considering the quality. The noise level prohibits full enjoyment of the dining experience. We won't return for dinner, despite the wonderful food.Special Features:
- We had a very enjoyable dininguye1Dined on 6/17/2011We had a very enjoyable dining experience. Comfortable setting with consistently great food and service. We really like the convenient parking at the rear of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Love this fusion of Laotian-FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2011Love this fusion of Laotian-French cuisine and their fabulous desserts, especially the famous chocolate pyramid. Very reasonable prices and an interesting eclectic Asian/European decor. I've enjoyed dinner at JJ's on special occasions, but it's also a nice place to have a casual lunch or dinner with friends. Even just coffee and dessert are wonderful.Special Features:
- Deal or No DealvegasgaysDined on 5/11/2011Food is prepared well, but portion size is ridiculously small. I ordered the Lamb Stew. It tasted great, but came in a dish that was so tiny it held at most 1/3 cup! It was like being served doll food. Desserts are best here. Came for dinner because we had a half off coupon. Don't know if it would be worth it without one.
- We had read negative reviewsMarissaVIPDined on 5/9/2011We had read negative reviews about JJ's service but we thought that they were prompt and courteous. The food was good but not great. Our shrimp salad was delicious but the sea scallop linguine was kind of strange.
- Food is good but not spectacular.SwingDaddyDined on 5/6/2011Food is good but not spectacular. Tasty desert, more tantalizing than the entrees. Certain dessert may look better than it tastes.Special Features:
- JJ's is one of my favoritevolcanomanVIPDined on 5/4/2011JJ's is one of my favorite restaurants because of the chef's modesty. Him and his staff can make the most amazing dishes I have ever tasted but he keeps the price reasonable for the average joe. I also love the fact that his shop has recently tripled in size. Its great to see a hard working entrepreneur succeeding in today's market. JJ has done it solely on the queality of his product. Good Job JJ!Special Features:
- It was a wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/22/2011It was a wonderful evening filled with live music, food that tantalized my tastebuds, excellent company & a very attentive wait staff. Both my friend & I ordered the pre fixe meals which include soup, an appetizer, main dish, & dessert both under $25. My meal consisted of crab corn soup which was light & refreshing, followed by lobster avocado rolls. This was so onolicious! Then the main dish fish stew in a light green curry sauce - also tasteful. Last but not least I was able to chose from an array of colorful desserts & chose the banana haupia. Soft & creamy which went well with my cappuccino vienesse. We brought our own wine -no corkage fee. I plan on visiting again!Special Features:
- The service and food qualityFoodieDined on 4/18/2011The service and food quality are always consistently excellent here. The staff is friendly, and efficient, and it's impressive to see JJ himself come out to greet guests and help with the service. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- This was the second time thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2011This was the second time that I took relatives for lunch. The first time was a great experience. But, this time, we had a male waiter who never smiled and almost seemed impatient with us. On our first visit, we had a young gal who was filled with joy. We paid $3.75 to have some bread with our sea scallop pasta dish. Thought that was a little steep. The portion of the lamb was so skimpy that we bought cookies and more dessert to eat on our ride home. While I plan to visit the bakery because the desserts are to die for, I do not plan on taking friends/family to lunch again.Special Features:
- interesting food with reasonablesoon2bfamousDined on 3/30/2011interesting food with reasonable prices. Not stylish but not noisy either so good for a larger group or family. Would go again and sample some other interesting items on the menu. Desserts were exceptional. Restaurant should warn customers to bring their own wine.Special Features:
- Upscaling the mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2011With open table reservation, as well as phone confirmation, we were still placed in an area of the restaurant that made me think that the table at the front window was saved for immediate family members. We brought our payment to the front as noone came to our table. The service was slow once the orders were taken, and the refill on ice tea finally came as we were departing. The desserts are top level however.
- My brother and I ordered theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2011My brother and I ordered the lamb wellington and seafood pasta meals. We actually shared and did a mixed plate because both dishes looked so ono. Wish there was a combo plate so we could try more entrees. I suppose we will just have to make many more return visits until we have tried everything on the menu. The lilikoi chocolate dessert was to die for!Special Features:
- Wait, Wait, don't serve me!twintxDined on 2/13/2011The service was so slow as to be considered glacial. My guests really, really wanted to like this place, and so did I. But it took so long to get served that we finally gave up and went to the front to order our desserts. Then it was another long, long wait to get our checks. The food and location are wonderful. They just need to get some more waitstaff and/or kitchen help. I was particularly disappointed since we had a reservation and they knew we would be a large paty (7 people) and while they had a table for us ready, there seemed to be only one waiter for the room, and we were at the bottom of his priority list. Thankfully, we enjoyed each other's company and put in the time catching up on developments after not seeing each other.Special Features: