502 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jirafferestaurant.com/
- Phone: (310) 917-6671
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: Dinner: 5:30pm-9:30pm;
Friday: Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Raphael Lunetta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: Private Chef and Catering opportunities are available. Contact us at 310-917-6671.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate large parties in our mezzanine. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Special Events: Join Us on Monday's for our famous Farmers Market inspired Bistro Menu. $38 per person 3-Course menu.
(Regular menu also available)
Look for our thanksgiving, Sunday Brunch & Family Style Dinner Dec. 29th also NYE menu coming soon!
A word from JiRaffe
JiRaffe offers market directed rustic California/French food with seasonally inspired classic cocktails in a casually chic environment. The service is relaxed yet articulate and as elegant as the coastal community of Santa Monica.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
JiRaffe - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
JiRaffe reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (53)neighborhood gem (39)romantic (38)notable wine list (14)good for groups (11)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not Worth RepeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Jiraffe is not a restaurant I would revisit. From the greeting upon entering to the overall service level to the food. Service and food were disappointing based on reviews. It appeared that our server was aware we were not thoroughly satisfied as she rushed to check our tip amount (16%) before we were two steps from the table. Food - too much spice, sides were inedible. Service - completely uninterested is the only way I could describe.
- SavageDined on 11/14/2014Loved our dinner so much we went back the same night after the theater for dessert. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudFranckDined on 11/8/2014Maybe it is just me and I'm getting old but I thought the place was loud, hard to hear a conversation. Restaurant's owner should start investing in sound proof materials especially when you're trying to enjoy a nice dinner and relax. The pork ribs were delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Visiting Santa Monica with family and everyone loved it.Special Features:
- ExceptionalnewportfoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014We've dined here several times and have never been disappointed. This time around we asked that the chef create a tasting menu for us and it was wonderful. It started with an oyster on the half shell and a glass of champagne followed by the Hudson Valley house cured duck prosciutto then the black linguini with red deep sea crab, lobster saffron lobster nage. The fish was the crusted John Dory, chanterelle mushrooms, sweet white corn,roasted red peppers, organic spinach, creminis,and the pan roasted rack of lamb, yellowfin potato vegetable moussaka, thyme scented lamb jus, and the dessert course, lemon souffle, Halsey mousee bombe and chocolate truffle cake. We pared the menu with a bottle of Kosta Browne Pinot Noir from home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingakanickDined on 11/4/2014+ Sweet Corn Agnolotti + Maine Lobster Ravioli + Warm service, nice atmosphere - Bland, unenthusiastic apps and entrees - Uninspired cocktail list, very limited wine list - Smaller than average portions - Price Bread basket was half-full of sliced white bread and served with cold butter. Beef Carpaccio was thicker than normal slices drowning in truffle oil, and completely lacking acidity and salt. Pasta dishes were fantastic!! Then right back downhill. Almond crusted trout was served with soggy skin. "Filet" was actually two filet medallions, underseasoned and overcooked, and served with both mashed and au gratin potatoes. Sticky toffee pudding for dessert was average at best and small. Not worth $170 for two people.Special Features:
- Off to a rocky start and then ...BytheseaVIPDined on 11/3/2014So it was my friend's birthday; she was on east coast time. I made reservation for three, 6 pm (9 pm est) and its Monday. We walk in and ask for the window seat with restaurant less than a quarter full. Denied because that is special table for owner's guests. Really, well we are customers of the owner and we are here NOW. We are seated at a mediocre table and after 10 minutes we are moved to the window seat. Our crime that we had to do our 10 minute penance for I believe, we are all women and over the age of 50. So, after our move to window, everything was fantastic. Beet salad, organic greens and carpaccio with truffle oil great starters. Our entrees of lamb shank, fish and beef-great. Deserts-yummmy. Go to Jiraffe-old or young!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town guestRevdrDined on 11/1/2014The service is top notch. I was lost and the host was patient and accommodating to my being late. The atmosphere is great. We had a 6:45 reservation and we easily got out table at 7:00!Special Features:
- JiRaffeYummyDined on 10/30/2014Although I lived in Santa Monica for a number of years, somehow I never made it on here until now. I will not wait another 18 years to come back here! The service was wonderful, the food was terrific and my only complaint could possibly be that it was a little noisy but it was a packed house by the time we left so i can understand. It is a very pretty space and I would definitely recommend it for a romantic dinner, even though for us it was just a couple of girlfriends enjoying a fine meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/27/2014The experience was not good. The service was good and the staff very nice. But the restaurant was overly loud and people are sitting too close for that noise level. The decor is dated and cheesy. Our starter was not good and the mains came 40 minutes after the starter and they were cold. I hope this was an isolated night, but I don't think we will go back.
- homeingardenVIPDined on 10/27/2014Beet salad, onion soup, pork chop, filet, salmon, jidori chicken...all delicious. Don't waste time on procuitto and barrata. Procuitto cut too thick. Overall really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- j.raffe is okicebox90Dined on 10/25/2014Took my girl here on a date so I had certain expectations. We were seated right away at a nice corner window table. The first thing I noticed is the place tries to cram too many tables in. My chair was bumping the persons chair behind me,a constant annoyance during a nice dinner. The waitress was excellent and very nice, very thorough. When we got there i was thirsty, and it took about 10 minutes to get water---not acceptable in a restaurant like this. The bread arrived, and it tasted a little stale, and felt like an afterthought. I love a great bread and this wasn't. I ordered the French onion soup which was the best I've ever had. Main course was the pork chop--it was ok but not memorable, rather bland, I expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014The food at JiRaffe is delicious. The roasted organic beet salad is amazing, as was the Scottish Salmon. Service is attentive but not intrusive. I highly recommend this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Inventive menu, flawless food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014From the complex and flavorful mushroom soup offered as an amuse bouche, to the organic beet and goat cheese starter as beautiful as it was delicious, to the herbed lamb shank main dish, this was a near perfect meal. The service was attentive, never fawning and the noise level allows for conversation even among those of a certain age. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodCanedevilDined on 10/23/2014We made a reservation based on the reviews on open Table. Due to a change in our schedule, we showed up an hour early. They still sat us right away. The food was outstanding. I had the lamb shank and my wife had the halibut. Both were prepared exquisitely and presented creatively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveDined on 10/18/2014Food was wonderful. Restaurant was much more noisy than I would have preferred.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/16/2014We had an excellent dinner. It was a birthday occasion. We have eaten there before and we have never been disappointed. The food was intelligently prepared and the portion were just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentSesherDined on 10/11/2014We love dining at Jiraffe. The food is so exceptionally flavorful it just lights up the senses. Somehow they always get it right. Love the almond crusted trout. The Osso buco was tender and fell off the bone. The small ravioli stuffed with corn was spectacular though not particularly hot. The two special appetizers of tuna tartare and a lobster dumpling were also great. Servers are friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Still terrificAntonioDined on 10/6/2014As an admitted fracophile, JiRaffe epitomized the french bistro experience for me in Santa Monica. The current menu has been modernized which I respect in this market but I feel the food may have lost that "je ne sais quoi" that made it particularly special. The veritable tomato tart which used to have a remarkable flaky buttery crust is now lost under the burratta cheese. It is now presented beautifully but just isn't special any longer. An artichoke salad was plain and unexciting. My friends branzino and duck confit were excellent. The bread pudding dessert was delicious but not as a great as it good have been. The service is still excellent and I will continue to recommend JiRaffe as one of my favorites.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/29/2014JiRaffe continues to be a dependable restaurant for well prepared, quality ingredients food. Wait staff are pleasant, although Monday night the kitchen was slow. The menu is good, covering a range of preferences for diners.Special Features:
- Outstanding!MunchersVIPDined on 9/19/2014We greatly enjoyed the interesting atmosphere, superb service, & splendid food! Highly recommend this terrific restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousiEatfoodVIPDined on 9/15/2014French Onion Soup was probably the best I've ever had and the entrees were delicious as well.Special Features:
- CDFJSF34Dined on 9/13/2014Celebrated our anniversary here. Impeccable service. Creative, satisfying food wonderfully prepared. Mushroom capaccino to start courtesy of the house. Loved the duck appetizer with blue cheese sauce and the corn appetizer specials. For entrees we had the osso bucco which did fall off the bone and the filet. Chocolate Bombe for desert. Beautiful presentation--servings were just the right size. Definitely worth a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningMoakleymanVIPDined on 9/9/2014We asked for a quiet corner table and got it. Every dish was delicious, with nicely balanced flavors. When our daughter expressed her strong liking for the mushroom soup that had been served as an amuse-bouche, the restaurant was kind enough to let her have a bowl of it as her starter. The halibut and the trout were very fresh and prepared to perfection. The maître d' was very welcoming and downright funny; and our waitress, Paloma, was very pleasant and efficient. All good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A GemAndrewVIPDined on 9/8/2014Love Monday night bistro menu. The food really was terrific. It always is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy food Updated menuSteveVIPDined on 9/4/2014Really nice dining. Easy location in Santa Monica. Fresh fish selection. Great new cocktails. Infused vodkasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, not exceptionalRebecca20somethingDined on 9/2/2014The service was excellent. The fish entree was very tasty. To start, we shared the shrimp pasta (recommended by the waitress and VERY delicious), and shared the burratta/tomato app, which was okay. The pastas were also just okay (had the Bolognese and Margarita Ravioli). I guess we ordered a few Italian meals at a non-Italian restaurant so that's why they weren't amazing. We also shared the Trout, which was extremely delicious. I think this place is a great go-to restaurant for a nice date out, or meeting up with a friend. My one recommendation is to stick to the Californian foods, because the Italian foods were just ok. I rated this based on the foods that I did enjoy and the service - 5 stars.
- ambience personifiedambiencepersonifiedDined on 8/26/2014A delightful small and cozy corner restaurant in busy downtown Santa Monica. We began our meal with a delightful spinach salad followed by a different entree for each of us. They obviously get the finest cuts of meat that seem only available to the finest restaurants. The filet was cooked to perfection and very flavorful. The pork and rack of lamb were equally as delicious. We will definitely return to JiRaffe when visiting the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had to shoutmimiDined on 8/19/2014Everything was great except the noise level and this was a Tuesday night, not even a weekend. There we're only two of us and we had to shout to hear one another. Question: why is Zagat's highest noise level called "energetic" which sounds positive? Why not try a 4th choice called "too loud for conversation?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for 1 at JiRaffeDateNightDiningDined on 8/15/2014Had a couple of solo hours before a party, and figured I better eat something. Its a small restaurant without any "bar" area. I got there right as it opened and was seated immediately. The place is attractive, with wood everywhere, but it clearly would be quite loud when full. My server came by promptly, and was very helpful in explaining the menu. Duck prosciutto was on special, with a little salad and some crisps. Delicious. Next up was a cup of their Onion Soup. Very satisfying, with a heavy red-wine influence, and slices of filet. Final course was the sweet corn agnolotti. They did NOT skimp on the butter. Overall, a terrific little meal. Portions were reasonable. I will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Creative menu,well prepared ,and nice presentation.Special Features:
- Great Monday Bistro MenuNicariDined on 8/11/2014I had not been to Jiraffe for their Monday Bistro menu in years. The pricing has increased the quality and experience remains the same. SO worth the increase. Everything was delcious. The melon soup with Red Crab meat was a pleasant surprise. Not a huge fan of cold soup ( I feel like I am eating salsa) but this had a rich creamy texture and just enough to open the palate for the rest of the meal. The duck prosciutto was AMAZING! again, not a huge fan of duck, it is usually too gamey for my taste. This was remarkable and rich. I started to eat more slowly as I worked my way down to the final pieces. lastly, my new york steak was cooked to perfection Medium rare. we had 3 wines to pair with our meal all perfection!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014Wonderful as always. Great Monday night menu, very tasty cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeAndrewVIPDined on 8/4/2014JiRaffe extended LA Eats with a tasting menu for less than $45, a steal. I enjoyed everything as is the norm here. I probably eat at Jiraffe 20-25 times a year; it never seriously disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IampatDined on 8/4/2014The Bistro menu changes weekly and it is a great way to taste some of the chef's best dishes. Our four courses had a delicious raw oyster, gnocchi with morel sauce, lobster tortelli, a beautifully prepared lamb chop and a fabulous lemon mousse....all for $42. Everything was delicious and beautifully presented, and the service could not have been better. This restaurant is consistently excellent. It is my favorite place to dine in Santa Monica.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodsparrisen21Dined on 7/29/2014You have an ambitious menu and I think you managed to get it :-) Nice food good staff and a all over nice evening :-) 😄Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I visit at least every 3 weeksAndrewVIPDined on 7/28/2014One of my favorite places in LA. Monday night bistro menu is an exceptional deal even if one skips dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in a quiet settingHardtopleaseVIPDined on 7/28/2014I had the 3 course menu; crab cake (100% crab), on a delicious citrus sauce , beautifully garnished, followed by a perfect halibut and a chocolate bourbon cake. My companions were equally impressed by their food. The space was calm and quiet enough to enjoy conversation. Criticisms are an offhand greeter and a waiter who brought the bill, without asking us if we wanted coffee or dessert ( mine was included in the menu)! Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1361 reviews are from the JiRaffe reviews archive.
- decide if its worth the moneynormaleatsDined on 7/27/2014The food was excellent and we were given a table away from the noise so had a lovely evening. But even so the bill was a bit of a shocker.Special Features:
- First Time is a Winner!encinocarolDined on 7/26/2014We had heard that JiRaffe was a great restaurant so we decided to give it a try during the Dine LA event. The dinner menu looked like it would be perfect for us, but when we got there, we were treated to a few additional choices plus an amuse bouche of the most delicious mushroom sipper. From start to finish (including terrific bread basket choices) everything was delicious. Portions were generous and the foods were just as described - really super. We would return for sure!Special Features: