Jimmy's Famous American Tavern
4990 N Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Jimmy's Famous American Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.j-fat.com/
- Phone: (619) 226-2103
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Saturday 11:30-3:00
Dinner Monday-Thursday, Sunday 3:00-9:00
Dinner Friday-Saturday 3:00-10:00
Sunday Brunch 10:00-3:00 *Breakfast Items 10:00-1:00*
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: James Nunn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jimmy's Famous American Tavern
Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern, or JFAT as the locals call it, is located on the beautiful America’s Cup Harbor in the Point Loma Marina. With its roll-up garage doors and large bayside patio with firepit it offers the finest in creative, regional American ‘comfort food for foodies’. The menu is a celebration of regional American comfort foods including Fish & Chips, Oversized All Natural Burgers, Classic-Sandwiches, Honey-Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Fresh local Seafood, & Grass Fed Steaks. A large bar in the center of the main dining room drives an energetic, though relaxed ambience purveying a selection of microbrew draft beers, selected American wines, and hand-crafted cocktails. The unique décor features recycled Pennsylvania barnwood, industrial lighting fixtures, and classic mid-century modern accents with roll-up garage doors and a large firepit patio that maximize bayside and sunset viewing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Jimmy's Famous American Tavern - Best Restaurants in Point Loma ›
Jimmy's Famous American Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (19)scenic view (15)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (3)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- chubbydinerChubbydinerDined on 10/23/2014There was the usual too much GREAT food. My guests from Arizona were knocked out by the marina and the water. Such a fun environment with everyone obviously enjoying their food and the whole experience. Very casual crowd but depending on the sports showing in the bar it can get loud, but it is such a happy loud I don't find it offensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistant over timexofaveDined on 10/20/2014We have eaten off an on at Jimmy's Famous American Tavern off and on since it opened, and the best part is the service is always really good no matter how many in our party, both for lunch and dinner. This was our first time actually making reservations, as we had to drop folks off at the airport, got the time we needed, served really good food - for those of you who really like salads - the kitchen sink salad is a total taste treat! So I recommend this place to drop in, or make reservations - for us it's always been lots of fun and tasty food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Nice relaxed atmosphere at Jimmys and I normally enjoy it but this time the food was so so. The fried chicken and cowboy burger were big hits but the veggies with the short ribs were burned and about half the mussels were not open. Service was very good, (thanks Kevin) and a new plate of mussels was brought. This was my third visit and the first time I've been diappointed in the food.Special Features:
- Turkey Burger is always good!KipBDined on 9/9/2014One of my go to's when I want a burger, but want a healthier option is the Turkey Burger. It is loaded with lettuce, tomato and red onion and melted cheese. Opt for the side salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a group!DawnDined on 8/14/2014We had our every other month dinner with 3 other couples here on a Thursday night. I had only been here twice before and we had enjoyed our meals. I'm not sure if there was something going on in the marina, but it was packed! No parking to be had at 6:15 pm and the restaurant was unbelievably loud. Our server was very nice but I think she was stretched thin with too many tables. Food was good - my salad had a couple of ingredients I had asked be left off. Not a big deal; our friends said they enjoyed their meals. We also sat with empty drinks from time to time. I think it was just a slightly off night with a packed restaurant - I'd go back.Special Features:
- The following 100 reviews are from the Jimmy's Famous American Tavern reviews archive.
- Burger havenKipBDined on 7/23/2014They have always had good, creative burgers. When you gotta have one, try Jimmy's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience.SheensbeansDined on 7/16/2014Had a great time here for my fiancé and I's anniversary. Food was good and the view made it even better. I enjoyed the deviled eggs as our appetizer and my burger was delicious. I will try the buttermilk chicken next time I visit. I was jealous of my fiancé for ordering it. Overall, it was a great experience. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice locationWadiegoDined on 7/13/2014My wife and I went to Jimmy's before a concert at Humphrey's with another couple. It was a great location and we were seated outside. The apps were great and they had interesting drinks. I had the famous short ribs and I was disappointed. They were a bit dry and I have had a lot better at other restaurants. I had a Guinness with dinner and it was flat, so I sent it back. Our server was great and took care of us quite well. My friend had the Sea Bass and he said it was excellent. Overall a nice place with a great location, our meals were hit and miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice outdoor dining areaDanSDined on 6/23/2014Went in June and we had a great sever, very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Great fish and crab cakes. I had the fish special and it was terrific. Everyone in our party enjoyed the food. Good for casual lunch and dinner. Definite recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Always a favorite in our house! The food is consistently good. The view is nice. There is a nice little grass area for kids to play outside the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomerubbacatDined on 6/15/2014Food is excellent, servers are the best around! Sliders, fish & chips are two of our favs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JFAT for LunchRedSoxFanVIPDined on 6/13/2014Second time here, first lunch. Great sandwiches and salads, and wide open views of the marina. Plenty of time for boat envy. Poke was excellent. Catch of the day mahi-mahi sandwich was great.Special Features:
- JdavisVIPDined on 6/13/2014Jimmy's rarely disappoints, always one of our favorites!Special Features:
- PBMikeDined on 5/30/2014Awesome waitress and great food! Nice open feeling with great view and ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceBrkthehabitDined on 5/20/2014I have been here twice and both times have received excellent service. Both servers were enthusiastic about what their menu had to offer and genuine in their concern for us. And it was nice that they didn't overwhelm our table. But I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with a viewLjayDined on 5/19/2014JFAT, as we found they are nicknamed, has great food, a good view especially from the patio, good service, but can be very loud. We've eaten here 3 times, twice on the patio (which has heaters and partial glass enclosures to keep it warm) and once inside. There is a fairly large bar in the center of the restaurant which can get loud and it just carrys throughout the restaurant and onto the patio - the noise is my only negative about JFAT. There were 4 of us this past visit, and we had the deviled eggs (6) appetizer, which were good (they put a jalapeño on top). Our dinner orders were: sliders (thick, juicy patties with onion straws), fish & chips (incredible!), and the sea bass (delicious) , all of our dishes were very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jimmy's wins again!goodfood4everVIPDined on 5/5/2014Jimmy's really does holidays well. We went for their special Cinco de Mayo menu. Started with the cheesy spinach and bacon dip with crunchy toasts. Our server, Kate, suggested a side of tortillas, as there is really too much dip for the toast. Great idea, it was totally fabulous! We went on to lobster tacos - these were stuffed full of battered lobster, probably the most tender and tasty we have ever had. The side of Mexican corn was fantastic too. Hand prepared Margaritas with real lime juice, agave syrup and good tequila just made the whole event perfect.Special Features:
- Great place, beautiful settingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2014I met some friends here for happy hour. We sat outside on the patio - which is good size so you don't feel as if you are sitting on top of the people next to you. There is a outdoor fire pit and a gorgeous view of the boats in the harbor. Everyone liked what they ordered. Best of all we were able to sit and talk while sipping our drinks and didn't feel rushed to vacate the table.Special Features:
- Birthday Coupon dinnerJeanieBDined on 3/29/2014Love this place near our home. Great food, beautiful setting. Had fish and chips and the garden pasta. All was wonderful. Servings are generous. Waiter was polite and helpful. Have been here several times. Appreciate the birthday coupon which is generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner and drinks!rxtechDined on 3/13/2014If you are looking for a nice, quiet place for good food, interesting cocktails, and a great patio ambence!Special Features:
- Great Location!DeeSueDined on 2/25/2014Jimmy's is a great location right on the marina, so the view of the water and boats is spectacular. They have a great out door patio, but the weather was cooler so we opted to stay inside. Lots of great local craft beer selections, with a good variety on the menu. It was busy, but not overly crowed and they TVs had sports games on, so I'm with a lively crowd it could get a little noisy. There were lots of seating options and it looks like it would be a great place for large group dinner. Definitely a keeper on my San Diego list of good eats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OBSESSED WITH THIER ONION RINGS!JaimiVIPDined on 2/23/2014Once I made it to Jimmy's, I have been back nearly every week since. The ahi stack with the onion rings is to die for. I highly suggest trying it…fun and delish!Special Features:
- great ambience and locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2014great ambience and location - lots of fun. Mixed drinks were fantastic and they have a great beer menu. Food was unfortunately hit or big miss: tended to be "heavy-handed" either with the themes of vinegar/sugar/chili or lots of bacon/garlic/brown sauce. I think if you stick to the burgers you'll have a wonderful experience overall.Special Features:
- Fish with a View!GinaCattLoVIPDined on 2/13/2014Jimmy's was located across the street from our hotel so we walked over for a lunch meeting. The BBQ salmon spinach salad was amazing. The fish was so fresh and cooked and spiced perfectly. One colleague had the tuna melt which he said was equally amazing as did my other colleague who had the fish sandwich of the day. That sandwich had a huge piece of beautifully grilled mahi mahi on it along with practically half an avocado. Lunch was so good we all decided to go back for dinner. I had the salmon dinner and the fish was every bit as good as it was for lunch. The Happy Hour crowd arrives shortly after 5pm so if you want a good seat with a view get there early...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Place to RelaxOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2014We love Jimmy's and make sure we go everytime we are in town. This is a great place to enjoy drinks with friends or a nice dinner with someone special. The staff are wonderful and attentive and always happy to suggest menu items. You must try the Jimmy's sliders. They are delicious. This is also a great place to take visitors after they arrive at the airport. It is a nice introduction to San Diego's great weather, scenery and local restaurants. You are never rushed and we are able to take our time to soak in the surroundings. I have also had large office groups there after meetings, it really works well and allows everyone to choose their menu items. Try Jimmy's; and it will become one of your favourites and prices are good too!Special Features:
- Burgers Rock!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/4/2014The burgers at Jimmy's are amazing! The Jimmy is my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub FoodAceBVIPDined on 2/1/2014Great local bar overlooking marina. Best onion rings in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchDonp69dspVIPDined on 1/19/2014Good lite brunch and super drinks! We will return!Special Features:
- Great patio. Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2014Great patio. Great service. Excellent table reserved for us. Cocktails are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Top 5 Burger and Top 5 ViewNonFoodieDined on 1/14/2014JFAT is the best combination of ambiance and great burgers and salads in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Find!OBbatgirlDined on 12/31/2013The menu has something for everyone--from the appetizer-grazers to the fine-diners to the hamburger-dependent. Really enjoyed the outdoor patio, which was warm enough for coat-free comfort despite the chilly evening. Service was friendly and attentive without hovering. Prices were very reasonable. We will be back!Special Features:
- Good food and service all in oneDanSDined on 12/19/2013My flat iron steak was cooked just right and seasoned just right. My partner enjoyed the sea bass. Nothing fancy just good food well prepared. Service was quick and efficient and anticipated our needs. We were never left wondering when our drinks would be refilled or in need of table ware. Definite recommend for a casual dinner and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Headed out to Jimmy's on aAngieDined on 12/18/2013Headed out to Jimmy's on a Wednesday night for a small seasonal gathering of friends. Were delighted to hear about the 1/2 price bottles of wine, which was a perfect beverage solution for our group of six. The service was excellent - our waitress was around enough, but not too much as we were more preoccupied with conversation and gift exchanging. Overall, a very nice experience, and everyone enjoyed appetizers and meals. For starters, an order of the Ahi Tartare 'Poke' Style is a must-have. Also had a couple orders each of the Zinfandel Braised Boneless Short Ribs and Cajun Boil for entrees, which both got good reviews from diners in our group.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and service here!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/29/2013This place is truly wonderful and it never cases to be fantastic! We have been to this place about 4 times now and the service is always excellent especially with Kent who is a great server! The food is fabulous, the place has great views of the harbor, the service is fantastic, and it is just an all around great place to hang out and enjoy your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!Local1963Dined on 11/24/2013Born and raised in San Deigo and this place is awesome! Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't miss at Jimmy'sEvanVIPDined on 11/13/2013The reason that Jimmy's has so many positive reviews is that it does so many things so well. The food is awesome! From a burger to the sea bass to the fried chicken, it's all so good. Service is usually great. Most seating allows you to see out on the boats in bay.Special Features:
- Nailed it!McmencrewDined on 11/8/2013The sunset with the fire pit and a view of the harbor (sail boats SUP kayaks etc) Fog rolling in slowly and to top it off Fantastic food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for Dana PointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2013I was disappointed with the fish I ordered but when I tried Jimmy's for lunch, I loved my salad . We love that you can bring your own wine too! Such a great bonus!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of San Diego's best on watersapphireVIPDined on 11/1/2013Always excellent, fresh food that is priced fairly. We take visitors to town there all the time and the cool opportunity is to come by boat as there is a courtesy dock there.
- The food is outstanding! Classis7680Dined on 10/26/2013The food is outstanding! Classis dishes made with the finest quality and care.Special Features: