Jimmy V's Osteria + Bar - Downtown Raleigh
420 Fayetteville St
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Jimmy V's Osteria + Bar - Downtown Raleigh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jimmyvsraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9192561451x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Kuilan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Jim Henning 9192561451x
A word from Jimmy V's Osteria + Bar - Downtown Raleigh
Jimmy V’s Osteria + Bar is a unique and modern restaurant was created with Jimmy Valvano’s passion and commitment to excellence, and a percentage of the restaurant’s revenue will be donated to the V Foundation. Jimmy Valvano’s love for food is the influence behind our menu creation featuring local and seasonal dishes with an emphasis on delicious Italian/American down to earth and traditional comfort foods using local farm grown ingredients and straightforward preparations. Also, Executive Chef Scott Chatterton focuses on shareable small-plates, to encourage groups to socialize in a convivial atmosphere, which is warm and inviting for family gatherings, a night on the town or toasting drinks with friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Jimmy V's Osteria + Bar - Downtown Raleigh - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Jimmy V's Osteria + Bar - Downtown Raleigh reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (45)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (20)special occasion (19)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (16)great for lunch (16)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (11)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Quality/quantity below average :(NCSuzeeQDined on 9/13/2014Very disappointed. Went for a birthday celebration. Was expecting a great experience, but instead had very slow service and mediocre food (and drinks, too). I am happy to pay high prices for good food, but that was not what was the case here. We had a party of 6, and each of us agreed that the quality and quantity if the food we ordered did not live up to our expectations, and was not worth what we paid. I will say that I really like the atmosphere of the restaurant, and the location. The server was pleasant enough, but the service was VERY slow.
- overpricedLovesgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/13/2014Cool dining area and location. Waiter (Steven) was very nice. Food was good but we thought that prices were higher than what they should be for what you receive.
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We arrived at 5pm and was immediately seated. When the food finally arrived my chicken was dry and my friends spaghetti noodles were hard. The couple beside us had to send their pizza back because it was burned and their chicken was not done.Special Features:
- Fun place and easy walk to Ballet!OnTheTown2014Dined on 9/11/2014We wanted a good restaurant withing walking distance of the Duke Energy Concert Hall and were very pleased with our choice of Jimmy V's. Fun place and such an easy walk to the theater!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, medium servicemandyrh16Dined on 9/8/2014My sister and I visited for her birthday dinner. It was a rainy Monday so the restaurant wasn't very busy. We each enjoyed our food very much, but it took an hour to receive the entree. Overall a nice experience and a place we'd try again, hopefully with a bit speedier service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our first visitraleighlady1114Dined on 8/31/2014It was a rather busy evening in downtown Raleigh so the restaurant was buzzing but the staff was very accommodating in making sure that we had a nice, quiet area of the restaurant for our family dinner. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience was a plus. ...HOPEDined on 8/23/2014Dinner menu can be pricey. Drinks may be a little over priced. But the money they give to the Jimmy V foundation makes it worth it. It's like making a donation and being rewarded for it. I had eaten lunch here and was good. Decided to give dinner with friends a try. For 4 of us with and drinks was a little over $100. Definitely will try there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disasterous waste of time and moneyGuppyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Overbooked, understaffed with at best, mediocre food. I had seared tuna as an appetizer that was solid brick, clearly pre-processed, tasteless, dry and WAY overdone. Another guest had Arancini balls that were tasteless and grossly under-seasoned. Bread was not offered, nor brought when asked. Wrong wines and beers were served the table on three separate occasions. Dishes were served inconsistently, and one guest waited over an hour. Deceptive menus: They offered an ELITE menu with wine/beer parings clearly identified on the menu, but were told after the order was in that they are not included. Felt like a bait-and-switch. An overpriced noisy place that tries to rest on the laurels of a past college sports hero.
- Stay Away!UnderwhelmedDined on 8/23/2014We choose Jimmy V's with enthusiasm after previewing the Elite Experience menu for Raleigh Restaurant Week 2014. Down hill from the moment we were seated. The meals selected included pairings of beer or wine according to the Elite Experience menu. Our server admitted she was not familiar with the concept, she did not serve the pairings. The manager also refused to serve the pairings. We endured an embarrassing exchange of information, in front of our invited guests. Service was careless. 15 minutes for a beverage re-fill. Our main course arrived 2 hrs after we were seated. Dessert was not fresh. So embarrassed my guests experienced Raleigh in such an underwhelming fashion. The floor manager admitted negative feedback from other customers.
- Long wait time, decent food.WfncfoodieDined on 8/22/2014We came here to celebrate a special occasion. We probably won't be coming back. The food sounded delicious, but we were disappointed. My wife's appetizer was cold. Mine was hot. We ordered the same thing. We waited 50 minutes for our entree and unfortunately it was good but not good enough for the wait. The waiter kept aplogizing, we hitch we appreciated, but it only made the wait seem longer. We will only come back if we have a lot of time to kill and aren't very hungry. Great ambiance, decent food, long wait time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTheoDined on 8/22/2014We had heard positive reviews about Jimmy V's in downtown Raleigh. I always knew it as a steakhouse in Cary. My first impression was a waiter throwing the menus down on the table, mumbling his name and clearly being in a hurry to move us along from the beginning. I had informed the restaurant it was our 27th wedding anniversary when I made the reservation- he had no clue (I know this is expecting a lot but that's what exceptional restaurants do). The food selections were disappointing. There was one steak on the menu. It was just too, what I will call, "Macaroni-Grillish". Not that that is always bad, just not what I expected. One word- diappointing. I would go back and sit at the bar for a drink, it looked very inviting.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014There are so many better places in Downtown Raleigh to go to. This was nothing more than an overpriced hotel restaurant. And DON'T go for Restaurant Week. You'll end up paying more by ordering off the regular menu because their Restaurant Week menu is so awful. If you're visiting Raleigh, eat somewhere else. I'd hate for this place to be your only impression of Raleigh cuisine.
- Pre Concert DinnerJeannieEssDined on 8/22/2014We had tickets to BOSTON concert at RED HAT AMPHITHEATER and wanted to eat dinner nearby. Found Jimmy V's - they are very convenient to the venue. Our table was ready we were seated promptly. Wait staff were attentive & pleasant. We were asked if we were attending a particular event so that they could advise the chef if there were any time constraints.nice! Lighting is just right and cozy,very comfortable atmosphere. Drink menu - very nice selection - food menu --just enough variety to please everyone without being overwhelmingly extensive. Drinks and appetizer arrived swiftly. Food all around was excellent, All were very satisfied (party of 6) mission accomplished thanks to Jimmy V's. We went on to our concert with happy tummies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatNCMotsDined on 8/21/2014We went for Restaurant Week dinner. Attracted by donation to Jimmie V Foundation with each meal. Appetizers of deep fried rizotto and bruchetta were well prepared and tasty. After that the meal fizzled faster than the NC State football team in a conference match up. Salmon entre was overcooked and salty over a bed of underdone sweet potato chop. For dessert the cheese cake must have been popular because they could not keep it coming from the freezer fast enough. The teremasu was a much better choice. Cooks: Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
- Nice EveningPBJ1Dined on 8/21/2014Food was very good . I had the blue cheese steak salad; the steak was done perfectly. The rest of the group had one of the prix fixe menus offered for restaurant week - all was good with the exception of the bruschetta. The brushchetta was pretty bland testing and served on thick white bread. Service was good at a relaxed pace. A tad difficult to hold a conversation among the four of us with the noise level, but we did enjoy the energy of a downtown restaurant during a week night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/18/2014Another good experience. Food was as high quality as our experiences last year. We were visiting from out of town and made it a point to have one dinner here. Staff are very well trained and professional. Great setting with the outdoor option. The only slight negative was the night was a bit slow, perhaps because of rapid approaching thunder storm which was a distraction for the staff to protect the customers outside. The menu has also been slimmed down from last year with a bit less creativity. However, we would still make it a point to go back on our next trip to Raleigh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the small plates!4fordinnerDined on 8/9/2014We tried the chopped salad, wings, Jimmy V's meatballs and the Tuscan pizza. All were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Again I brought my friend with me to Jimmy V's the staff is always spot on, especially the hostess Judy, I always see the staff members working at a fast speed, and with a friendly smile, the food is fast a very good, the music helps the overall feel and laid back fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great!LuvItalianDined on 8/3/2014Each visit has been such a good evening of food and ambience. We enjoy it every time. Usually we are on our way to a show at Memorial Auditorium and dinner at Jimmy V's makes the evening complete. Thank yoU!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedcarolinadinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went here based on a recommendation and our experience was obviously not the same as that of our friends. The restaurant was extremely noisy and the service was sub par. Unfortunately the weather was not conducive to sitting on the patio so we didn't enjoy that aspect of the venue. The food was average; certainly not good enough to bring us back for a second visit or to recommend this restaurant to anyone else.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Great outdoor area and the staff were very nice. The only complaint I had was that the salad portion was small and many of us were a touch still hungry when we left. But I noticed that the sandwiches others had were wonderful and hearty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Jimmy vs is truely a great place to dine with friends and family. Loved the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timers at Jimmy V'sNotHappyFirstTimersDined on 7/25/2014Heard many good things about the restaurant. I order a filet & my boyfriend order the pork chops. Our waiter barely visited our table at all. He did not deliver our food nor did he check up on us immediately after the filet was delivered to check to see if it was cooked properly or if we needed anything. The filet was not cooked the way I wanted so I could not eat it. I ended up having to eat my boyfriends pork chop becuz no one bother to come back to the table for about 20 minutes after the food was delivered & w/Jimmy V's being a top end restaurant I felt that the wait staff should be more educated on the proper timing of when to visit a table after food is delivered, especially when it involves any type of meat.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014We were a party of 7 in Raleigh for a convention at the Civic Center. Everyone of our group ordered something different and everyone was well pleased with the food. Our server provided top knotch service throughout the evening.Special Features:
- Great experienceJustinCaseDined on 7/24/2014Food and atmosphere were great. Middle of downtown on a busy Thursday night. Good times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Another great experence at Jimmy V's, the pizza is absolutely the best in the city, love the draft beer selection and it always seems to be very busy and kind just always packed. Love bringing friends hereSpecial Features:
- Great night at jimmy v'sVonnieDined on 7/3/2014We ate there this week with two other couples who had never been to jimmy vs. Everyone had a great time and enjoyed their entrees! Several people had the local chop, one had the pizza, one had the salmon, one filet, and a pasta dish. Drinks were also great. We sat outside and enjoyed the weather. When we left, everyone said it was a good choice and any would come back again sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Foodie placeFoodie29Dined on 6/28/2014Chicken wings were bland-like they thawed them and threw them on a plate. Burger-beef was good, bun was on the Stale side, tasted made yesterday. Service was ok-server was ok-needed to know his menu.Special Features:
- Wait staff needs better trainingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014The wait staff is the face of the business. If they can't work with a smile and be excited to welcome and cater to their customers, then you'll have a business that's going to loose their customers pretty fast. Our waiter brought us our checks without evening asking if we wanted dessert. We were celebrating my wife's birthday. We ended up going elsewhere for dessert and coffee.Special Features:
- Noise from the plaza ruined dinnerBarbandgingerDined on 6/21/2014I've been to Jimmy V's quite a few times and I really like it, but this past Saturday evening our experience wasn't so good. It's not the restaurant's fault but being a nice summer evening they had the doors to the patio wide open and lots of folks were seated out there. We were seated on the patio and about 3 minutes after being seated a plaza performance of drummers started up. Between the techno music playing on the patio and the drummers, it was not a pleasant experience. Our server seemed somewhat distracted as well. Food was good however. One observation I have for the restaurant however is that they serve their water in carafes with no ice and they ought to just get over themselves and give you a glass of water with ice.Special Features:
- Great Food, Atmospheremelcal725Dined on 6/17/2014The atmosphere of is fantastic - indoors and out. It's an impressive place for a business lunch or dinner or happy hour. I made a reservation for 9 and we sat in "Jimmy's Den", a semi-private alcove. Making the reservation was so easy - and the hostess was incredibly accomodating. The other 8 diners were from all over the East Coast (work) and they all were impressed with the meal and atmosphere. However, we unfortunately had fair-to-poor, SLOW service which put a bit of a damper on the whole meal. At one point, one member of our party actually went to retrieve her own set of silverware - and drink refills seemed to take forever. Unfortunatley, that will make me think twice for coming back with a large, out-of-town group.Special Features:
- meh.MgarrinVIPDined on 6/13/2014My salmon was ok but the seafood risotto had zero flavor. How is that even possible? The outdoor area gave a great view of Fayetteville and with the live band and people watching, it was great. Service was terrible though, we saw our server maybe three times the whole meal.Special Features:
- Become a regularOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I have become a regular to Jimmy V's, the business is always busy, the food is very good, while I have my favorites, but the staff is always welcoming and friendly, my group of friends really enjoy going to Jimmy V's as well as it is affordable. The Salmon is my favorite, as well a the Italian dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizzaDan101Dined on 6/13/2014The pizza is the best, they make it right in front of you, service fast and friendly, we go regularly now, mainly for pizza and drinks, but the new menu has caught on, love the new crab cake too, always great music and fast friendly southern hospitality service.Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre servicebjw0715Dined on 6/12/2014I work downtown and have had Jimmy V's for lunch on a regular basis and the food is great, however over the last few times I've gone the service from the servers was...lacking. The icing on the cake occurred when my wife and I decided to visit for dinner on our Anniversary and the server was inattentive, scattered, and spent little to no time doing other than getting us in and out with a little work as possible. As always the food was great, and the restaurant itself has a great atmosphere, however the service seems to slowly taking a turn for the worse.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/11/2014On this visit the service was beyond slow. Our order was taken and we did not see our waiter for almost a half hour. We finally talked to the hostess and when we said that we were leaving the food showed up. The excuse for lack of service was that the restaurant had two large parties. If we had been told this we could have made other arrangements.
- A little surpriseFamilyDined on 6/9/2014We were surprise that they didn't have enough staff or food at the time we arrived there. The food was okay, but the services was too slow. I ordered an Egg Benedict and after 1 hour, I cancelled. My family was already done with their breakfast and mine never arrived. Not sure if I will give them another opportunity. The location is great and the atmosphere is relaxing.
- great restaurantncsudivaDined on 6/7/2014Food was great! Best service we have had in a long time anywhere!! Highly recommend the arancini-delicious!Special Features:
- Din--nerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Missed my first reservation and re booked, restaurant very unigue and fresh with a hip vibe, music awesome food especially good, love the meatballs, bruschetta, my server a young lady was very helpful and efficient. love the patio area too.Special Features:
- Good food and service but noisypgallVIPDined on 6/5/2014Loved our meal and our waitress was perfect - attentive and friendly without being overbearing. The noise level is high - especially near the bar but it is a fun place.Special Features: