Jimmy Kelly's Restaurant
217 Louise Ave
Nashville, TN 37203Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Jimmy Kelly's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jimmykellys.com/
- Phone: 6153294349x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Southern
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Jimmy Kelly's Restaurant
Housed in a glorious Southern mansion in the heart of Music City, Jimmy Kelly’s continues to be the standard by which all American steakhouses are measured. Founded in 1934 while the country was in the throes of the Great Depression and just one year removed from the repeal of prohibition, Jimmy Kelly made a promise to himself and his diners. Simply put, he would serve a great steak, a generous portion of whiskey and insure the service was always attentive. Making good on that promise has been the cornerstone of the restaurant’s success and enabled it to survive and flourish. Now over 80 years later and operated by the third generation of Kellys, it has earned a reputation as one of the grand old restaurants not only in Nashville but the entire southeast. Come anytime and enjoy a great steak and a generous portion of whiskey!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Jimmy Kelly's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Jimmy Kelly's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (158)romantic (130)neighborhood gem (69)notable wine list (62)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (45)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (14)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We chose to celebrate our anniversary this year at Jimmy Kelly's. Loved the location and the charm of being in an old home. Service was wonderful...we had a reservation and were seated as soon as we arrived. We brought our 13 year old daughter with us and she enjoyed it too. The food was wonderful. We all had steaks which were incredible and perfectly cooked to our liking. The twice baked potatoes were especially good with a hint of horseradish which gave them a delicious kick. Our daughter also tried the crab cakes which were quite tasty too. We tried the blackberry cobbler and creme brûlée for dessert and there was nothing left! It was the perfect anniversary dinner and so glad we tried Jimmy Kelly's. Hope to eat their again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Nice cuts of meat. Prepared well and tender. However, our steaks were grossly under seasoned. Good value overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This is a classic steak house far from the madding crowd of fake chains. The owner Mike Kelly was on site throughout our visit just as Pat Francis presides over the eponymous Pat's Steakhouse just up I 65 in Louisville. Now we have two great places for outstanding dining experiences within 100 miles (we live in South Carolina). Wonderful service throughout our meal from Steven. Our hotel tried to steer us to The Southern downtown. there we had to wait for over an hour with nowhere to sit. No evidence of any leadership from any of the employees. The good news is when we return to Nashville we won't have to search through losers, since Jimmy Kelly's is a winnerI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived Up To ExpectationsnashvillenativeDined on 10/18/2014This was my first time to dine at Jimmy Kelly's and my expectations were high. My experience exceeded what I expected when I walked in the door. Our waiter was friendly and responsive and the food was outstanding. I'll be back next time I have something to celebrate.Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsSemomuDined on 10/18/2014We found this restaurant last year while visiting from out of state. We liked it so much, we went twice. We were looking forward to this year's visit. While the waiter was good, we heard several...'my favorite is...' Almost pushing. Wine was VERY expensive. My husband ordered a whiskey rye on the rocks. SEVENTEEN dollars for one recommended brand. WOW! Of course, we didn't find this out until we received the check. We both had the small salad the comes with the meal. Blue cheese dressing was wonderful. No bread or rolls were offered. The small filet was very good and tender and was accompanied by a small potato. Our bill for 2 was $93.Special Features:
- FantasticGrubsearchDined on 10/18/2014Great food. Great service. We love eating here and it is a great place to bring guests.Special Features:
- ExcellentTbirdDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant was everything I've heard, quiet intimate excellent service best steak and fish I've ever eaten. The 1800's mansion was the perfect setting for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimboOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014Was a meet place, unfortunately seen it's better day
- Friday Night Chic'sHattieDined on 10/17/2014We love to eat at Jimmy Kelly's. The food is always delicious and the service is great!Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceDinealotDined on 10/16/2014Had eaten here many years ago. Remembered it being an enjoyable dining experience. Unfortunately, this visit proved to be underwhelming. The food quality was disappointing compared to other well-established steak houses we have visited. The steaks were ok, but for the price we paid, we expected better than ok. Sides and sauces also mediocre. Service was fine, but nothing special. Overall, Jimmy Kelly's did not live up to its reputation.
- Birthday Dinner with 7CaliGirlDined on 10/16/2014Was able to make reservations for the night of the Paul McCartney concert ... didn't know the concert was happening as we were visiting family and had a birthday to celebrate. I had the Bootleggers Ribeye and it was probably the best steak I have ever had! Cooked perfectly, too. My husband had the Cowboy Steak and said his was equally as delicious (although he was jealous of how good mine looked!) We were in a side room, with one other table occupied, which was great as it provided some privacy for a nice conversation ambiance during dinner. The service was patient ... no hurry, but available whenever you needed service ... subtle efficiency. Also, priced fairly reasonably for the quality and portions. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant.GB0729Dined on 10/16/2014The restaurant was beautiful inside. The food was exceptional and service was outstanding. Very nice eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Everything about the experience at Jimmy Kelly's was just as it was 20+ years ago! I have recently moved back to Nashville and had looked forward to having dinner here….and it was well worth it! Wonderful dinner, atmosphere, and wait staff! I'll be looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:
- ALWAYS A HITSteveDined on 10/16/2014I've been coming to Jimmy Kelly's for quite a few years now, and I have yet to be disappointed. The excellent menu and daily specials, coupled with extraordinary and knowledgeable servers, plus an outstanding bar are about the best combination one can find in the Nashville area. It's all reasonably priced, too! I'm definitely looking forward to my next chance to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nitewonderdameDined on 10/15/2014This was a great date night, special occasion. From the valet and escort with an umbrella to the wonderful dessert and personable server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same experience every timeVitoDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I dine at Jimmy Kelly's about 5 times a year and we have never had a bad meal. We sat in several different dining rooms and all have their own special charm. Also a great wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nashville classicskifflifeDined on 10/11/2014It had been several years since I dined at Jimmy Kelly's but I always remembered it as a great place; I was not disappointed. I won't wait as long to return.Special Features:
- Kelly's always will be specialJoeFrankGillespieJrDined on 10/10/2014From the moment you walk into the restaurant and are greeted by the owner, until you finish your last sip of wine and bite of chocolate brownie, Kelly's is a fine experience. Are there restaurants with better food? Yes, although this is excellent. But as far as the totality of the experience, Kelly's is a gem. It is comforting that a place where we went for special occasions as a kid is still there for me as an old man.Special Features:
- Excellentepps97Dined on 10/10/2014Our dinner at Jimmy Kelly's was excellent and made even better by our waiter, John. He was very informative about Nashville and when we told him we were from Iowa he told us that he had owned two restaurants in Iowa. He made the evening memorable and was such a great, attentive waiter. We will recommend Jimmy Kelly's to everyone going to Nashville.Special Features:
- excellent as usualRandyDined on 10/9/2014Cositency is the best description. Great food and steaks. Perfect ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic PlaceFkchikDined on 10/6/2014Bo was an amazing server! We do not live in town but decided to go to dinner at Jimmy Kelly's and it was amazing! The food was hot and the service was outstanding! I would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A meal that cannot be missed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This was the absolute best meal we had when we visited Nashville! The ambiance is historic. It is a class act establishment. You can tell they have been in business for 80 years! Don't change a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nashville institutionChrisHVIPDined on 10/4/2014Some steak places might serve a better steak, but not many. Great service too.Special Features:
- A nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014JK's has a special charm. It's like having dinner in someone's home. The food and the service were great. The atmosphere was quiet and sullen. The only issue was we were seated right next to the bar which isn't as bad as you might think but the tables are pushed right up to it and you couldn't help but to think the bartender was listening in to conversation. Everything else was great. Nice wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backLivingintnDined on 10/3/2014Service was awful and so slow. We spent a small fortune which was expected but service should match that level of fine dining.Special Features:
- Special Birthday DinnerRandyOnieDined on 10/3/2014Visited here for the first time during the winter Nashville Restaurant Week. Was very impressed by the service, the food, and just everything about this "Old School" steak house. I told my wife that this is going to be my "go to" place for my birthday, Father's Day and any time I wanted a great steak.Special Features:
- Number 1 local steaksluv2reportDined on 10/3/2014Great steak dinner. Really good twice baked potato, excellent as usual little corn cakes and all in a nice locally owned restaurant. When your offered dessert and your too full be certain and get blackberry cobbler to go and you will realize grand mother didn't make it any better. Always a treat to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MarkncarlaDined on 10/2/2014The blue cheese stuffed filet was absolutely delicious. You cannot go wrong with a great steak stuffed with softened blue cheese. I will be going back without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The tradition lives onNashvillecriticDined on 10/2/2014The atmosphere was soft lighting , padded chairs and carpet , all keeping the normal background din noise at a minimum . Food was very good . The only flaw was Rack of Lamb was just rack of Lamb and not Rack Moutard as on menu (and as I know it ) but it was very tasty and generous amounts . Drinks fine , service with a quiet smile and friendly banter . Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great food and even better service.PerfectservicedDined on 10/2/2014The food was as expected - great. The steaks were perfectly cooked. The appetizer, salads and sides were also great. But what made the dinner a cut above was the service. Our waiter provided the best service that I can remember anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two out of three ain't badKeepPeaceDined on 9/30/2014For decades, JK has been our standby steakhouse for good food, great service, and an atmosphere conducive to dinnertime conversation. On this Tuesday night occasion, however, the service was not prompt (our server didn't realize our table was assigned to him), and not really concerned with our dining experience (instead of asking whether our steaks were cooked properly - they were medium, not medium-rare - he set down our plates and declared, "everything looks wonderful" before walking off). They still have good steaks and we love their corncakes. Their entrees no longer come with a side salad. We will come back and hope for a different waiter.Special Features:
- the best steak in townJacksAceDined on 9/29/2014The steak was perfectly flavored and cooked, the staff were great, very friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was very welcoming. Jimmy Kelly's definitely epitomizes fine southern hospitality and combines it with the best steaks in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average, at best.VintageSkipperDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I joined another couple for dinner this past Saturday night. Host was severely lacking in the personality department! In addition he knocked my husband's glass over (empty at the time, thank goodness) reaching across the table and apparently didn't even notice, as there was no apology. Steaks were flavorless and disappointing. Crème Brulee seemed to be missing the Crème. Seriously, the dessert was 1/2 inch thick, at best, and the crème simply dissolved upon impact. Kitchen was slow. The BBQd prawn appetizer, our waiter, and the good company of our friends were the only saving graces. I could most certainly think of better ways to spend $380!!
- overrated restaurant, not met expecStephanDined on 9/25/2014When i get in ther was no entree perdon. Had to wsit 5 minutes before get recognized, even i had a reservation. I ordered the recommended ny strip steak this day with steamed brocoli and backed potatoe. The potatoe came with a very little cream in a poor paper cup that teared during triing to get the cream out of it. No salt or herbs added to potatoe. The brocoli was very hard and not cut off the hard parts. Also no flavor on it. Tasted even it was cooked without any salt in water. Steak was perfectly grilled as i ordered it, but the ehole kitchen must recently ran out of any spices. At least the waiter get me some chrushed pepper on it. Steak was natural flavor but not tender as a dry-aged steak. Food is not worth the price at all.Special Features:
- ExcellentJWB1Dined on 9/24/2014very nice selection of top shelf liquor. Steak cooked to perfection with prime beef. Some of the best service you have ever enjoyed.Special Features:
- PERFECTJANLYNNDined on 9/22/2014WONDERFUL FOOD, FANTASTIC SERVICE, GREAT RELAXING ATMOSPHERE, EVERYTHING YOU COULD ASK FOR IN A RESTAURANT. A REAL OLD FASHIONED REFINED PLACE , WOULD DEFINITELY RETURN.Special Features:
- Jim and Lil MorganOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We had the very best time! Our server Mr. Arthur White made our night quite enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsoutdoorgirlDined on 9/20/2014First visit to Jimmy Kelly's to celebrate a birthday. Food, service, and old guard Nashville ambiance exceeded our expectations! Even the customers seated around us were warm and friendly. Definitely a treat for both locals and visitors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencerocknrollaVIPDined on 9/20/2014Jimmy Kelly's is not a chain. It has a great menu and the steaks were top shelf. Our server was a man named Marcus and he brings back the old school server where they don't up sell you but makes recommendations to enhance your meal. We had fried oysters for an appetizer that exceeded expectations. Wonderful meal and priced lower than the big steak chains like Mortons, Flemings, etc. Cannot wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Just too old and plainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The place just needs to be updated in a bad way. We were seated in a dark room upstairs right next to an open bar and the bartender was there through our whole meal. There was no drink menu and the regular menus were the size of a small car.