435 Elm Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jimmy-gs.com/
- Phone: (513) 621-8555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Closed Sunday & Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Gibson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms are separated from the main dining room by sliding pocket doors. Luxurious French doors are used to further enhance the space while still allowing views of the restaurant. Our larger banquet room offers comfortable seating for parties of 40 guests nestled next to a stone mantle fireplace. Our more intimate private room accommodates 12 guests with ease in a secluded corner of the restaurant perfect for meetings or celebrations. Both areas offer audio and video capabilities with high speed internet access. Jimmy G's is the perfect destination for your next holiday party, business dinner, or social outing.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Tempel 5136218555
- Entertainment: Jimmy G's offers live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday starting at 9pm.
A word from Jimmy G's
At Jimmy G's, the evolution and sophistication is provided by an Art Nouveau meets "Mad Men" design style with black granite floors, red wood paneling with large black and white framed portraits. Steel arc lamps reinforce the modern, mid-century aesthetic. Maintaining the existing layout, the space is divided into three interconnection sections: the lounge bar, a central dining room, and two private dining/banquet areas. Guests enter from the street, down a mysterious stairwell through an arched entry way into the restaurant. In the main dining room, shades of yellow dominate, with mustard seat cushions on white lattice backed chairs. Additional seating in the form of elevated U-shaped booths are great for watching all the excitement of the dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Jimmy G's - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Jimmy G's reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)fit for foodies (32)romantic (21)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (16)late-night find (12)hot spot (11)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (9)Show More
- schuVIPDined on 11/21/2014A very adult atmosphere, quiet and elegant. the food is outstanding and the service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddeedee123VIPDined on 11/20/2014everything tasted wonderful, the service was great, I'd definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findsesingletonDined on 11/15/2014I hadn't heard of this place before, so when my date suggested we find a good steak place I got on Open Table and found Jimmy G's. The steak, scallops, and yukon mashed potatoes were all excellent! I definitely recommend this restaurant for special occasions since the price might be a little more than you want to spend regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this restaurant and it was amazing!chrisnw20Dined on 11/13/2014My husband and I were in the area for our 10th anniversary and decided to stop by Jimmy G's for dinner. The service was outstanding and food was absolutely terrific. Best steak I've ever had! Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As alwaysTomRDined on 11/11/2014Jimmy G's is one of the best. The food is tremendous, service impeccable, and the overall experience is one that will have you wanting to come back again and again. One of the best parts of dining there is that Chef Jimmy Gibson makes rounds through the dining area. This makes you feel like something more than just a plate to fill. And his homemade ice cream is tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StephDined on 11/8/2014Outstanding dining experience! Made our eveing complete. Brought a friend for dinner & she was blown away too! Service and ambience were top nothc. Jimmy's food is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014The decor of the restaurant is nothing to write home about. In fact, the bar is somewhat on the tacky side but if you're just out for some drinks it's fine. While the wait staff was very attentive there were noticable flaws in the service including: the butcher's twine being left on my fiance's meat and at one point, the assistant brought the wrong glass of wine and rather than leaving it on the table and offering to bring the correct wine, they took it away. However, having said all the that, the steaks were excellent! They are wood grilled which is difficult to find in Cincinnati and you can definitely taste the difference. We don't go out looking for steaks too often but next time we do, we will return. Better than Ruby's!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe our expectations were wrong?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We had a very nice meal at Jimmy G's. But we'd read nothing but 5 star reviews, so we were expecting something more. Having said that, had the best crab cake of our lives (and I used to live in Baltimore), very nice scallops. Steak was a great disappointment: over-charred, over-peppered until the only flavor was charcoal and pepper (cooked medium, so should have had some additional flavor). The decor was, well, odd. We felt we were in someone's basement: wood paneling, low lighting. Which could have been fun, but the tables were then set very formally, so the two seemed mismatched. One of us had a great meal,the other an okay meal. So I'm nitpicking. But for the money, it should have been better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweetest Day DinnerBobRVIPDined on 10/18/2014Meal was pricey, but excellent. Portions were generous. Service was very attentive, but did not hover. The only criticism was that we were seated across from the bar area, so the music was a little load at the table.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Experience & great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Thank you for great food and a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurantCarrieDined on 10/11/2014I absolutely love this restaurant for many reasons! The atmosphere is amazing, the service and food are all top notch. We went for our anniversary last weekend and had a wonderful experience! The pork chop was the special, and my boyfriend was so impressed with the food he has not stopped talking about it!Special Features:
- first time experienceschubyDined on 10/10/2014Food was excellent. The strips were prepared perfectly. Lots of flavor and tender. The sides we chose were very good, asparagus, Brussels sprouts and Mac and cheese. Definitely must have the Mac and cheese. We had the ice cream for dessert. It was very unique and very tasty. Jimmy G was very visible in the dining room conversing with several tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerGreatsteakDined on 10/10/2014Fabulous food, imaginative menu great service! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves more people need to come here-!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rivals Ruby's!!!JulesBVIPDined on 10/4/2014Love Jimmy's restaurant-wonderful food & very cool bar!!! Also *love* the live music! Have visited many times and never had anything but an incredible meal!! Every bit as good as Jeff Ruby's!Special Features:
- Too LoudharveysruleDined on 10/4/2014We had a party of 6 and sat near the door closest to the Bar. The DJ was playing the music way too loud. We couldn't hear each other talk. Other than that, the food and service were awesome.Special Features:
- Why did I wait so long to try this?HardToPleaseDined on 10/2/2014If you're interested in a perfectly cooked steak with a tasty crust and don't want the formal feel of a Ruby's or Morton's, go here. They had some interesting sides too. Server was friendly and attentive. I'm serious. Try Jimmy G's.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great out of the way place!calsophieDined on 9/24/2014I've been to Jimmy G's three times now. The food is always excellent and the service is great. Its always quiet and peaceful and it has a great "Mad Men" vibe with the decor. It seems that the cocktail menu has improved since my last visit which is awesome. The dessert menu is small and portions quite small, but when you fill up on awesome meat and potatoes, I guess that is how it should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceShawnVIPDined on 9/23/2014Jimmy G's does not disappoint when it comes to service and the food. I love to sit at the bar and interact with people and the bartenders are fun.Special Features:
- Friday Night SpecialEastsidefoodcriticDined on 9/12/2014I went with a friend because we had read such wonderful reviews about the place. I found the restaurant to have a sophisticated menu. The appetizers, salads, and entrees had a lovely flair to them. It was visually appealing as well as very pleasing to the palate. Our server was very polished and attentive. Can't say enough.Special Features:
- Tasty steak, weird atmospherDeedsDined on 9/6/2014Although the steaks we had were very good, and the sides we excellent, this is not an upscale place. It reminds me of an older Las Vegas Hotel restaraunt well off the strip! I just cant say it was a great dining experience. I heard at least twice from wait staff "the steak is better than Jeff Ruby's isnt it?" I can tell you this place is no Jeff Ruby's. Just not the professional touch i require at these prices. Much rather do Capitol Grill or Rubys. The cap wrap is an interesting touch on the ribeye "filet" and salad was $9 for very small portion, but it was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Very disappointed in our meals for the money there are a lot better options in downtown cincinnati
- Great food, confusing atmosphereTrac432Dined on 8/30/2014Slow service, steaks were great! Sides were great! Decor was confusing to me but it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Jimmy G'sTharkDined on 8/27/2014When my wife and I arrived at Jimmy G's for the first time I was scanning the decor, oblivious to the fact that... we were the only people in the place! Oops, I always get a little suspicious when a restaurant is empty. Did we make a mistake? Is the food bad? Is it because we are there on a Wednesday night, in Cincinnati in August? I know it wasn't the stake we ordered cause it was as good if not better then any steak I ever had in Cincinnati! And for that matter, it was as good as anywhere I have ever been - including Peter Luger, Ruby's, Sparks etc... The steak came out hot and juicy, the edges (top and bottom) were seared to perfection. My first bite "WOW" tender and juicy full of flavor!!! Jimmy is A true artist!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!CincyWeddingPhotogDined on 8/23/2014This was my first time at Jimmy G's and I have to say that I was supremely impressed! A good friend recommended Jimmy's for their amazing steaks, sides, and deserts. I had the filet and my wife had the filet of ribeye. We were both VERY impressed. I don't like many vegetables but I tried the asparagus and I couldn't stop eating it until it was gone. I would recommend Jimmy G's to everyone and we WILL be back soon.Special Features:
- The best steak in the cityOutNAboutVIPDined on 8/23/2014As a foodie, Jimmy G's clearly has the best steak in the city. High quality selection of cut, expert preparation, focusing on the achieving the optimum flavor and not on distracting ornamentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekRedsfan5824Dined on 8/16/2014We decided to try Jummy G's during Restaurant Week and were not disappointed. The servers were attentive and engaging and the food was well prepared. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great start to a great evening.FoodiePawDined on 8/16/2014I visited this restaurant during restaurant week and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the food and the music was great but it was a little too loud. I would however dine there again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse that can't cook SteakmissyVIPDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I visited Jimmy G's at 5:30 on a Saturday night,the server was not knowledgeable of the menu at all. I ordered a 6oz Beef Tenderloin and asked for Medium Well. When the steak was brought out it was Medium Rare at best, so we sent it back it came back solid Medium Rare so alas we sent it back a second time. The steak showed back up and was now charred and chewy so it wasn't very good at all. The manager asked how our night was we explained what happened his response was what can I do to make it better to which I said that's up to you the bill showed was for full price and we waited for 20 minutes before the general manager came out to fix the problem with a gift certificate to come back again. Don't go here!
- Restaurant WeeknsgirlVIPDined on 8/15/2014We went to Jimmy G's for restaurant week because we were attracted by the menu choices and we hadn't been to the restaurant yet. All the Restaurant Week patrons were seated in the back room - much less attractive than main dining room with extra tables stored there. We were not offered bread, although other tables had bread. The meal was great, and we had a nice server. But it felt like they were discouraging us from returning. At least make the back room feel more special!Special Features:
- Great steak, no complaints.SkilletVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jimmy G's doesn't beat Jeff Ruby's in my opinion, but it's still very good. The steaks were extremely flavorful, super tender, and cooked perfectly. The sides (mac & cheese, potatoes aligot, and the asparagus) were excellent as well. I also really enjoyed their house salad (arugula, assorted greens, nuts, and golden raisins wrapped in thinly sliced cucumber with peppercorn ranch dressing). Ruby's is still my #1 go-to steakhouse, but from my 2 experiences at Jimmy G's, I'd rank it a close second. The filets at Jimmy G's are definitely better than at Morton's.
- Excellent find in CinciJayHDined on 8/14/2014Our group compared steaks at Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Jimmy G's during restaurant week. Jimmy G's was the best by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jimmy's Got it Going OnCarolPmsVIPDined on 8/14/2014Having read about the infamous Jimmy & his adventures in the dining world, I was anxious to try his offerings. Could not have been more satisfied. Service was excellent -- from the get-go this could make or break your date. Two kinds of bourbon (Makers Mark & Woodford) were "sold out" from a big night -- this seemed a bit odd but the alternative was acceptable. Another person in our party ordered a Ying Ling (sp?) & before that was presented, the Bartender brought out some other samples of local brews -- this is what everyone wanted in this type of evening. Food was great, presentation made us all want to dive right in -- both steaks & salmon were ordered. Sides were the not-so buttery mashed potatoes & mac & cheese with crunch.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014The decor needs updated and the food was way overpriced for what you get. The service was lacking .. For the cost they charged I would rather have Jeff Ruby's
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014Servers were very apologetic to the fact that we made reservations and still had an hour wait. Then we were seated at a table and forgotten about. When we finally received our dinner my steak was burnt and so was the Brussels sprouts. I will never come back to this place. I feel like for the money I paid ... It was not worth it.
- Great food, lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014After a drink at the bar a very friendly hostess seated us at one of their booths. We were greeted by a server assistant and given water. Most of our drinks were empty but we were told our server would be with us shortly. We waited 20mins and ultimately had to stop someone walking by to ask them for service. It got mildly better after that but overall I was unimpressed. At a Jimmy G caliber price tag you should do and expect better. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurry up and wait, and wait ...FoodieChris610Dined on 8/13/2014My second visit to this below street level space near Elm and 4th in downtown Cincinnati. And there won't be a third. Ordered dinner in 3 courses - salad, filet and dessert. The salad was served quickly but with the wrong dressing. Before I finished my salad, the steak arrived - poor pacing. The waiter stood tableside waiting to clear my salad plate. Once the steak was finished my party ordered dessert. After the initial order the server returned and indicated the dessert menu had been changed. Our dessert orders changed as well. 30 minutes went by - no dessert - but, the check arrived. A discussion with the server ensued. 30 more minutes and finally the dessert arrived. Sixty minutes to get a crème brulee. Never again.
- demographics countfoodisfunVIPDined on 8/12/2014I thought that the food was quite good but the hostess was a little disorganized at the start, service was not as prompt as I would like...probably not enough wait staff for restaurant week. The techno music was the biggest disappointment. It was difficult to have a relaxing meal after a day at work. I felt like I should be looking for the dance floor. I doubt that we will return as there are many more relaxing places to have a great meal in this city.Special Features:
- Dissapointing ServiceAlphonseDined on 8/12/2014Server tried to tell us about the restaurant week menu. She gave up, then read the sheet..Minimal number of items. She took our order and left menus on table. Served the entree to myself first instead of my wife. Kept us waiting for coffee ordered at least 20 min. Waited for the desert another 20 min and finally asked her about it. She then lied telling us the chef was making the Creme Brulee. Creme Brulee came cold...nothing that would indicate the sugartop had just been fired. I asked for more coffee. fills mine but not wife's. Waited long to get check. Observed other servers bringing food to tables and asking "Who gets the Medium Rare."..etc. Loud terrible music. Food great,overpowered by poor service. Not fine dining.
- Nice atmosphereTraveling2foodDined on 8/8/2014We had a pleasant waiter and very friendly hostess. We were two couples and we were seated in a nice comfy and roomy booth. We ordered the crab cake app to share and two shrimp cocktail apps. They were delicious. We all ordered steaks, since that's their signature speciality, and sides to share. The men's NY strip steaks were perfectly grilled, however our Filets were both over cooked. We ordered them medium and on the very center they had a little red but it was mostly grey. The steaks were flavored wonderfully, but we were disappointed with the temperature. It was a pleasant evening but I'm not in any rush to go back. We enjoy the Precinct and find their quality control is more precise.Special Features:
- Great Meal!KarenCVIPDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I dined here with friends and all agreed it was an excellent meal. Between the four of us we were thrilled, sharing caesar and house salads, steaks, mac & cheese (which my friends said was the best they ever had), brussel sprouts (the best I've ever had), asparagus (a bit woody, but nicely seasoned) and finished with excellent creme brulee and chocolate mousse. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.