435 Elm Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jimmy-gs.com/
- Phone: 5136218555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Closed Sunday & Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Gibson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms are separated from the main dining room by sliding pocket doors. Luxurious French doors are used to further enhance the space while still allowing views of the restaurant. Our larger banquet room offers comfortable seating for parties of 40 guests nestled next to a stone mantle fireplace. Our more intimate private room accommodates 12 guests with ease in a secluded corner of the restaurant perfect for meetings or celebrations. Both areas offer audio and video capabilities with high speed internet access. Jimmy G's is the perfect destination for your next holiday party, business dinner, or social outing.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Tempel 5136218555
- Entertainment: Jimmy G's offers live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday starting at 9pm.
A word from Jimmy G's
At Jimmy G's, the evolution and sophistication is provided by an Art Nouveau meets "Mad Men" design style with black granite floors, red wood paneling with large black and white framed portraits. Steel arc lamps reinforce the modern, mid-century aesthetic. Maintaining the existing layout, the space is divided into three interconnection sections: the lounge bar, a central dining room, and two private dining/banquet areas. Guests enter from the street, down a mysterious stairwell through an arched entry way into the restaurant. In the main dining room, shades of yellow dominate, with mustard seat cushions on white lattice backed chairs. Additional seating in the form of elevated U-shaped booths are great for watching all the excitement of the dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Jimmy G's - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Jimmy G's reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)fit for foodies (34)romantic (21)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (14)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (11)late-night find (10)hot spot (8)Show More
- Jimmy G'sTharkDined on 8/27/2014When my wife and I arrived at Jimmy G's for the first time I was scanning the decor, oblivious to the fact that... we were the only people in the place! Oops, I always get a little suspicious when a restaurant is empty. Did we make a mistake? Is the food bad? Is it because we are there on a Wednesday night, in Cincinnati in August? I know it wasn't the stake we ordered cause it was as good if not better then any steak I ever had in Cincinnati! And for that matter, it was as good as anywhere I have ever been - including Peter Luger, Ruby's, Sparks etc... The steak came out hot and juicy, the edges (top and bottom) were seared to perfection. My first bite "WOW" tender and juicy full of flavor!!! Jimmy is A true artist!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!CincyWeddingPhotogDined on 8/23/2014This was my first time at Jimmy G's and I have to say that I was supremely impressed! A good friend recommended Jimmy's for their amazing steaks, sides, and deserts. I had the filet and my wife had the filet of ribeye. We were both VERY impressed. I don't like many vegetables but I tried the asparagus and I couldn't stop eating it until it was gone. I would recommend Jimmy G's to everyone and we WILL be back soon.Special Features:
- The best steak in the cityOutNAboutVIPDined on 8/23/2014As a foodie, Jimmy G's clearly has the best steak in the city. High quality selection of cut, expert preparation, focusing on the achieving the optimum flavor and not on distracting ornamentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekRedsfan5824Dined on 8/16/2014We decided to try Jummy G's during Restaurant Week and were not disappointed. The servers were attentive and engaging and the food was well prepared. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great start to a great evening.FoodiePawDined on 8/16/2014I visited this restaurant during restaurant week and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the food and the music was great but it was a little too loud. I would however dine there again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse that can't cook SteakmissyDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I visited Jimmy G's at 5:30 on a Saturday night,the server was not knowledgeable of the menu at all. I ordered a 6oz Beef Tenderloin and asked for Medium Well. When the steak was brought out it was Medium Rare at best, so we sent it back it came back solid Medium Rare so alas we sent it back a second time. The steak showed back up and was now charred and chewy so it wasn't very good at all. The manager asked how our night was we explained what happened his response was what can I do to make it better to which I said that's up to you the bill showed was for full price and we waited for 20 minutes before the general manager came out to fix the problem with a gift certificate to come back again. Don't go here!
- Restaurant WeeknsgirlVIPDined on 8/15/2014We went to Jimmy G's for restaurant week because we were attracted by the menu choices and we hadn't been to the restaurant yet. All the Restaurant Week patrons were seated in the back room - much less attractive than main dining room with extra tables stored there. We were not offered bread, although other tables had bread. The meal was great, and we had a nice server. But it felt like they were discouraging us from returning. At least make the back room feel more special!Special Features:
- Great steak, no complaints.SkilletVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jimmy G's doesn't beat Jeff Ruby's in my opinion, but it's still very good. The steaks were extremely flavorful, super tender, and cooked perfectly. The sides (mac & cheese, potatoes aligot, and the asparagus) were excellent as well. I also really enjoyed their house salad (arugula, assorted greens, nuts, and golden raisins wrapped in thinly sliced cucumber with peppercorn ranch dressing). Ruby's is still my #1 go-to steakhouse, but from my 2 experiences at Jimmy G's, I'd rank it a close second. The filets at Jimmy G's are definitely better than at Morton's.
- Excellent find in CinciJayHDined on 8/14/2014Our group compared steaks at Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Jimmy G's during restaurant week. Jimmy G's was the best by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jimmy's Got it Going OnCarolPmsVIPDined on 8/14/2014Having read about the infamous Jimmy & his adventures in the dining world, I was anxious to try his offerings. Could not have been more satisfied. Service was excellent -- from the get-go this could make or break your date. Two kinds of bourbon (Makers Mark & Woodford) were "sold out" from a big night -- this seemed a bit odd but the alternative was acceptable. Another person in our party ordered a Ying Ling (sp?) & before that was presented, the Bartender brought out some other samples of local brews -- this is what everyone wanted in this type of evening. Food was great, presentation made us all want to dive right in -- both steaks & salmon were ordered. Sides were the not-so buttery mashed potatoes & mac & cheese with crunch.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014The decor needs updated and the food was way overpriced for what you get. The service was lacking .. For the cost they charged I would rather have Jeff Ruby's
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014Servers were very apologetic to the fact that we made reservations and still had an hour wait. Then we were seated at a table and forgotten about. When we finally received our dinner my steak was burnt and so was the Brussels sprouts. I will never come back to this place. I feel like for the money I paid ... It was not worth it.
- Great food, lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014After a drink at the bar a very friendly hostess seated us at one of their booths. We were greeted by a server assistant and given water. Most of our drinks were empty but we were told our server would be with us shortly. We waited 20mins and ultimately had to stop someone walking by to ask them for service. It got mildly better after that but overall I was unimpressed. At a Jimmy G caliber price tag you should do and expect better. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurry up and wait, and wait ...FoodieChris610Dined on 8/13/2014My second visit to this below street level space near Elm and 4th in downtown Cincinnati. And there won't be a third. Ordered dinner in 3 courses - salad, filet and dessert. The salad was served quickly but with the wrong dressing. Before I finished my salad, the steak arrived - poor pacing. The waiter stood tableside waiting to clear my salad plate. Once the steak was finished my party ordered dessert. After the initial order the server returned and indicated the dessert menu had been changed. Our dessert orders changed as well. 30 minutes went by - no dessert - but, the check arrived. A discussion with the server ensued. 30 more minutes and finally the dessert arrived. Sixty minutes to get a crème brulee. Never again.
- demographics countfoodisfunVIPDined on 8/12/2014I thought that the food was quite good but the hostess was a little disorganized at the start, service was not as prompt as I would like...probably not enough wait staff for restaurant week. The techno music was the biggest disappointment. It was difficult to have a relaxing meal after a day at work. I felt like I should be looking for the dance floor. I doubt that we will return as there are many more relaxing places to have a great meal in this city.Special Features:
- Dissapointing ServiceAlphonseDined on 8/12/2014Server tried to tell us about the restaurant week menu. She gave up, then read the sheet..Minimal number of items. She took our order and left menus on table. Served the entree to myself first instead of my wife. Kept us waiting for coffee ordered at least 20 min. Waited for the desert another 20 min and finally asked her about it. She then lied telling us the chef was making the Creme Brulee. Creme Brulee came cold...nothing that would indicate the sugartop had just been fired. I asked for more coffee. fills mine but not wife's. Waited long to get check. Observed other servers bringing food to tables and asking "Who gets the Medium Rare."..etc. Loud terrible music. Food great,overpowered by poor service. Not fine dining.
- Nice atmosphereTraveling2foodDined on 8/8/2014We had a pleasant waiter and very friendly hostess. We were two couples and we were seated in a nice comfy and roomy booth. We ordered the crab cake app to share and two shrimp cocktail apps. They were delicious. We all ordered steaks, since that's their signature speciality, and sides to share. The men's NY strip steaks were perfectly grilled, however our Filets were both over cooked. We ordered them medium and on the very center they had a little red but it was mostly grey. The steaks were flavored wonderfully, but we were disappointed with the temperature. It was a pleasant evening but I'm not in any rush to go back. We enjoy the Precinct and find their quality control is more precise.Special Features:
- Great Meal!KarenCVIPDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I dined here with friends and all agreed it was an excellent meal. Between the four of us we were thrilled, sharing caesar and house salads, steaks, mac & cheese (which my friends said was the best they ever had), brussel sprouts (the best I've ever had), asparagus (a bit woody, but nicely seasoned) and finished with excellent creme brulee and chocolate mousse. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerGirlsoutfordinnerDined on 8/5/2014First time. Went there for dinner with three friends. We had the coupon for 4 dinners 3 courses. Steaks were cooked excellent. Sides were really good and the desserts were good as well. Overall a very pleasant experience. And the bread was warm and very tasteful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SanibelSandySanibelSandyDined on 7/31/2014This was our first time dining at Jimmy G's and we went on a recommendation of a friend, we were not disappointed! My son and I ordered the scallops, rib eye steak, shrimp cocktail and salad and shared all it. Everything was very good but we both loved the scallops. Thanks again for the extraordinary service and dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeDanLisaHDined on 7/26/2014Wife and I arrived early to have a glass of wine at the bar. Ask a question about a wine on the list and bartender called the house wine "expert" over who proceeded to answer my question and more. Actually recommend a few tastings that were quite impressive. He was also working the restaurant due to I think a staffing shortage so we ask if he could attend to our table and he was happy to do so. What an amazing young man and ambassador for the restaurant. Food was exceptional. When In Cincinnati we will certainly return to this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet but satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I am so glad I talked my wife into making the 50 mile jaunt for my birthday dinner this past saturday. Jimmy has some nice creations such as the lamb sausage gribble for openers and the 4 fat fries with the duck egg aioli was scrumptous. All in all I enjoyed the food the atmosphere and will definitely get back there.Special Features:
- Great food, weird decorexzaklyDined on 7/19/2014I am amazed at how good the food is here! B/c the decor and location of the restaurant don't do it justice. The food is outstanding, and the chef does a great job of creating dishes with complicated ingredients. Unfortunately the restaurant isn't in a great location for pedestrian traffic walking by - b/c if so, the restaurant would have been packed! Because the food is just too good. The decor however is terrible - it's a menage of so many different tastes & themes that nothing really makes sense and clearly wasn't thought out. There are missing ceiling tiles in the main dining room (it's intentional, I think) but it just looks cheap and not thought through. The interior design needs a major overhaul.Special Features:
- Awesome as alwaysAndrewVIPDined on 7/18/2014Jimmys is one of my favorites in the city. It's better than ruby's and significantly cheaper. The menu is interesting and theirs all kinds of new things to try on it as well as many classics all executed incredibly wellSpecial Features:
- dhowlsDined on 7/18/2014Great place! Great food! No, really great food with friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable service to match!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Schedule carefullyCliffyVIPDined on 7/17/2014The food at Jimmy G's was fabulous -- everything was absolutely delicious - and the service was outstanding. One caution though - if you're looking for a quiet dinner, be careful there's not a party in the bar across the hall. The proximity of the beautiful dining room to the bar makes it challenging for the staff to balance noise levels with the seperate needs of guests. They did try. The food makes it worth a return trip - too many intriguing menu items for one meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon ApetitehungryVIPDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed a great meal! Steak was the best we have had, as were the tuna and scallops. The staff was perfect and personal, Jimmy came out and took a picture with us. The ambience was swanky and the music was great. We were not rushed. The house peach ice cream was superb.Special Features:
- RobertVIPDined on 7/12/2014The service was very friendly, however there were a few missteps that kept the evening from being exceptional. The table was not cleared promptly after drinks and appetizers. The béarnaise to be served on the side with the filet didn't come, and we had to ask another waiter for our check 15 minutes after we finished dessert. However, the Woodford Reserve Manhattan was perfect, and the food throughout the evening was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing againJessrob12Dined on 7/12/2014This is our second time dining at Jimmy G's. It was just as incredible as the first. The food is perfection. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad Men ambiance delicious foodFoodiewant2bVIPDined on 7/5/2014Steak amazing, decor goovey! Loved it so much it's my now favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceMarkVIPDined on 7/5/2014We have been to Jimmy G's a dozen times...every time has been as great as the last! In a market with lots of steak choices Jimmy's is a wonderful find. Also try the Caesar salad...best in Cincinnati I think.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/27/2014The steak is great - the wood grill imparts a delicious, smoky flavor.Special Features:
- Good food, but nothing specialMiddleagecouplehighendDined on 6/20/2014The food was very good. The service was good. The menu is a-la-carte. The noise and ambiance would be fitted for a night club, not a high end steak resturant. The only part that was really disappointing was the lack of valet parking, thus you have to park in a dingy garage around the corner and pay $10 for 2 hours of parking.
- Finally Steaks cooked correctlyJQueenDined on 6/20/2014The wife and I were in town for a getaway. We stayed across the street and wanted a good steak dinner. We have tried the big guys and always have to send the wife's steak back. We go out to a nice dinner monthly. We have had problems for the last year. It's become so bad we joke about how many times we have to send it back in the same night. Well not here. Her Medium well was perfect. I cannot tell you enough how great that made the night. The grilled squid was great and my rare tomahawk steak was the best I've had in a long while. The wait staff was attentive and pleasing. Thanks Jimmy it was awesome. Do not overlook this place. Great FoodSpecial Features:
- Return customer!AndreaDined on 6/14/2014This is the second time that we have had dinner at Jimmy G's and we were not disappointed! Great food, great service and an overall wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Phenomenal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted at the door by Jimmy only to have his charm followed with a phenomenal meal. The hand-pulled mozzarella salad has lovely and dressed with the most amazing Olive oil. The steaks were excellent and perfectly prepared. Jimmy also surprised us with a complimentary dessert - delicious Creme brûlée that tasted like the most perfect toasted marshmallow! I will definitely recommend Jimmy G's and will eat here again on my next trip to Cincinnati.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakMikeBDined on 6/6/2014Best steak I've ever had in Cincinnati. True steakhouse atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 6/3/2014The service and food were wonderful, would love to go back for a special occassionSpecial Features:
- Delicious!CincydinerDined on 5/31/2014A great steakhouse with plenty of options for those that do not eat steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inevitable comparisonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014If you know the background of the chef, I think it's inevitable that you will compare Jimmy G's to your experience at Jeff Ruby steakhouses. The menu is similar and the quality of the food as well. The major difference is with the ambiance and the wait staff. The wait staff, while quite sufficient at their jobs, are much more casual than the price of the menu would imply. As others have stated in their reviews, the ceiling was missing a large number of tiles. This made the restaurant go down several notches from classy towards trashy and made me wonder if they haven't been replaced due to financial issues. All that aside, we had a nice dinner at the restaurant. I wouldn't necessarily make it a point to go back for another visit.Special Features: