Jewel by Tom Schaudel
400 Broadhollow Road
Melville, NY 11747Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Jewel by Tom Schaudel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jewelrestaurantli.com/
- Phone: 6317555777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schaudel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full on and off premise catering for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Schaudel 6317555777
- Entertainment: Thank you for your interest in Jewel Restaurant. We are currently offering Live Music on Sundays at 5pm, and Wednesday and Friday at 6pm.
A word from Jewel by Tom Schaudel
Jewel by Tom Schaudel is a farm to table restaurant offering the bounty of Long Island's fishermen, farmers, and growers. Our contemporary American menu allows you the choice of casual or special occasion dining. There are three private rooms that seat from 16 to 30 guests and a chef's table with seating up to ten. Our award winning international wine list has over two hundred selections as well as twenty by the glass and boasts the most comprehensive list of local wines on Long Island. The Dallago designed interior welcomes you with a casual sophistication and a warm inviting glow. Reservations are suggested. Come on by and experience Jewel by Tom Schaudel, a restaurant for Long Island by Long Island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jewel by Tom Schaudel - Best Restaurants in Melville ›
Jewel by Tom Schaudel reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (105)fit for foodies (105)vibrant bar scene (76)good for groups (70)hot spot (66)notable wine list (56)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (35)great for lunch (29)late-night find (15)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- harriVIPDined on 10/18/2014Restaurant Week menu was extensive. However, the dishes were uneven. One appetizer was not hot, the short ribs were fairly tasteless. The service was also uneven. Overall, it is a lovely venue. Might try it again.Special Features:
- Just blandTompVIPDined on 10/17/2014Swordfish was flavorless, gnocchi was over cooked and every bite had pieces of fresh basil, cheesecake desert was partially frozen. Not one plate from our group of 4 was something we would make us want to come back.
- Truly enjoyed everything we atehoneyVIPDined on 10/17/2014We went there for restaurant week. Food was excellent . wonderful flavors . All 3 courses were surpurb . We had meatballs which were made with shrimp and veal , so good. Then I had salmon and the others has skirt steak. We were all pleased with what we ordered. Each dessert was delicious . I would definetly recommend this restaurant to all. The only negative is that it does get very noisy at night because of the bar area and because it is very busy at night. I would definetly go back.Special Features:
- Good but noisyStannieDined on 10/17/2014Well prepared meals and great service by knowledgeable wait staffSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Great place. I love all Tom Schaudel's restaurants. It has it all. Good food and great atmosphere. I am a bread lover and the bread basket was great.Special Features:
- lyn48Dined on 10/16/2014Always a treat. We are never disappointed. The food is prepared so well and the servers are excellent. Everyone has a warm friendly attitude. We go to this restaurant frequently.Special Features:
- Love it here!KitaDined on 10/13/2014We're big fans of Tom Schaudel and his food. The food is predominantly local and cd eative. Ambience is lively and elegant. Wine list changes, as Tom tastes a lot and adds notable choices to the list. All of his restaurants follow the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014It was so loud I couldn't hear the people I was with. The food was good but took forever to get. Our dessert came out 15 minutes before our coffee. The waitress was very nice. I don't think id choose to go back here. What you get isn't worth what you pay.
- Sneaky wine service....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014We ordered a 2011 bottle of Silverado Cabernet- and they brought us out an OPENED 2010. We'd never been to a restaurant, dive or bar, where a bottle of wine isn't opened table side. Then, our waiter/wine guy (Pat) SWIRLED the wine in the bottle, mixing up the sediment, and poured it into the decanter we requested. The real kicker, was it wasn't the Cabernet we ordered!! It was then we realized WHY the bottle was open. Neither my husband nor myself said anything, because we wanted to have a nice evening, which we did, in spite of the wine episode- but will we go back....absolutely not!!Special Features:
- Business lunch on 110Workon110Dined on 10/6/2014Everything was wonderful. Great service. Great food. Perfect place for a business lunch on the 110 corridor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatluv2dineoutDined on 10/5/2014This was our third Sunday in a row dining here...first Sunday we brought friends here it was excellent. Second Sunday we went with other friends and it was just ok that night, food was not hot and we had to search for our waitress, definitely an off night. Third Sunday friends from the first Sunday wanted to go back again and it was great - food was excellent and our server Christian was terrific. What we noticed was when Tom Shaudel was there overseeing the kitchen the food was great, the time he was not there was when it was an off night. We dine here pretty regularly and love the Sunday price fix menu, the skirt steak is the best anywhere. The service sometimes leaves something to be desired so ask for Christian, he was great!Special Features:
- Great conceptMericVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have eaten here half dozen times..room beautiful..terrific food..but dishes seem to remain the same basically,,more variety needed..nice wine selections..unique bathroom..Sunday night special is a great plus..otherwise prices are higher than our budget can handle on a regular basis..Special Features:
- Fall FlavorsDatenightdinerDined on 10/3/2014Jewel never disappoints. The menu is amazing and the food is terrific. I had the butternut squash lasagna and my wife went with the lobster themed appetizer/ entree and the bisque was creamy yet lite and her linguini with lobster was quite memorable. The butternut squash lasagne was packed with flavor from sweet to savory, and the pasta was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Evening "Jewel"newyorker11VIPDined on 10/3/2014On this trip to Jewel, I went into the Be-Ju Sushi area. The food was excellent; service wonderful and the ambiance was relaxing.Special Features:
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014What a very cool place. Inventive menu. Very creative food pairing. The shrimp and veal meatballs were amazing.Special Features:
- An off nightluv2dineoutDined on 9/28/2014We dine here frequently, have introduced friends here and have always raved about the experience - this visit was somewhat disappointing. We all ordered the skirt steak which is usually awesome but on this occasion the food was barely warm and one in our party complained about the steak being chewy. Another ordered the steak med rare and got it med, the server ordered to replace it but my friend did not want to wait. Our server was friendly and polite but disappeared for long periods of time, possibly serving in another part of the restaurant but we waited a long time in between courses and then for the check. Maybe just an off night here because we always give it high marks for food and service.Special Features:
- poor servicehorribleserviceDined on 9/27/2014Firstly I was seated and it took 15 mins to get water. Then I had to stand up and ask who our server was. One of the wine glasses had a lot of lipstick on it. The pepper shaker was empty and it practically took till my food was cold to get a replacement ( I had to stand up and find a busboy... The waitress was no where to be found). We were sweater before others and they were finished before us. It took so long that my date couldn't order desert because she had to pick up her child. Basically the service ruined my date for the night!!!!Special Features:
- great for drinksBrandonDined on 9/27/2014Great bar, fun atmosphere. Food just ok. Definitely a fun place to go for drinks, maybe not for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PossibilitiesYumYumDined on 9/27/2014I thought the place was a bit difficult to find. The sign by the roadside is not well lit or overly large. The place is quite pretty with very nice touches. The hostess was a bit rude when we asked if there was another location in the resaurant for us to sit and enjoy our dinner. The back room, where we were seated, is quite noisy due to the fact that it can accommodate larger groups of people. (10 - 14 in a group) The rest of the staff was pleasant but slightly overwhelmed. My food was very good but my husband's steak was not cooked to the appropriate temperature. It came out quite charred. When he asked for a new steak it was then served rare/medium rare. That being said, I would return to give the place another try.Special Features:
- OKAYangelaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Food was good , portions were good . we did the sunday prefix which worked out great . On a sunday night the restaurant only had 6 tables booked . Very quiet , barley could hear the music . Food was just good , drinks were okay . Would not go back .Special Features:
- Excellent Againluv2dineoutDined on 9/21/2014We went Sunday for the Price Fix menu and each person in our party of four was very pleased with the food. My husband and I have dined here several times and have always found it to be excellent, we brought friends who had never been there. Three of us had the skirt steak and it was cooked perfectly, the other had the halibut and he said it was delicious. For some reason it was not busy at all on this visit but out server was very slow, we didn't mind as we were not in any hurry and actually enjoyed the slow pace. We had the cheesecake for desert and it was delicous too. Another great visit and we will keep on dining here, love it!Special Features:
- EatzalotDined on 9/21/2014The entire staff including hostess, busboy & of course waiter were terrif!!!Special Features:
- Menu not for your average diner....PurplemommyDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant is beautiful! The atmosphere is great..... The menu is not for your average diner. I recommend you check it out online to make sure there is something that will fit your palette. It is a very expensive restaurant. I recommend the Sunday Prix Fixe if you would like to give it a try. I had the Catfish. It was delicious....wasn't too thrilled with the hash that accompanied. Not that it was bad just wasn't my cup of tea. Husband had the skirt steak, it was good. One thing that was excellent was the raw tuna pizza! YUM! I also loved my Pistachio dessert. Would go back, but it's a special occasion place due to the price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtoeatVIPDined on 9/19/2014First time I've been to Jewel in a while because the food is so inconsistent. However, this time the food was very good. We shared the fois gras nigiri and the hamachi appetizers. Both were delicious, but a bit skimpy with the fois gras, considering how expensive it is. I ordered the salmon medium and it came cooked perfectly. My daughter had the bone in steak and hers was also cooked perfectly and it was very flavorful. The roasted cauliflower was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and DecorJPJMinDined on 9/15/2014Look and feel of a trendy NYC spot on the corridor. Excellent vibe, beautiful artistic setting and the food and service to match. Top shelf wine list with local flair compliments a simple, elegant menu that would address any taste. The food is good and the place is fun.Special Features:
- 82muchVIPDined on 9/14/2014Tom Schaudel is a GREAT chef! The room is whimsical AND luxurious. Sunday prix fixe dinner is a gift.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel late night diningFugetaboutitDined on 9/13/2014Challenging menu with predominance of sea food. Shrimp veal meatballs only an Arnold Palmer drinker could enjoy. Halibut special just ok. Better at lunch. Nice bar. Hip 50 ish croud.Special Features:
- OK for Long islandWAK2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014Schaudel restaurants always reflect some culinary creativity. The Uni custard was a good example - sublime. But filling Jewel with diners each night means dumbing down the flavor profiles - or so it seems. The tuna pizza looked great but desperately needed needed wasabi/soy (yes wasabi was listed on the menu but it was hiding on my pizza). The market salad - not quite ripe "local" peaches with a dressing that was too sweet. I was also amazed at the high percentage of Male Slobs - 40 and older who think they can just throw on a shirt and jeans (and 2 day Cialis actor stubble) and go to an elegant restaurant - all the while their significant others are appropriately dressed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted it to be great...SteverDined on 9/13/2014but it wasn't. The layout of the restaurant was lovely, surprisingly so, given it is located in an office building on Route 110 in Melville. Our entrées weren't bad, but more like "just okay", not as creative as I had hoped. Our waitress was generally attentive, but perhaps still learning the ropes. This Jewel is still in the rough, but maybe one day, it will be precious. Just not yet.
- Great FindRedfoot24Dined on 9/12/2014We had been given a gift certificate, so we decided to try Jewel. It was wonderful and a place to which we will return. The lobster risotto was superb.Special Features:
- Love this placeFdollieVIPDined on 9/10/2014I have been here several times and rthe food is always fabulous and now you can add Japanese food. Tom Shaudel you've done it again!!!Special Features:
- Staring to wane a bit.ScottyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Well, I've enjoyed eating here many times, but it's starting to get a bit frustrating. Once again, they brought me the wrong dish. How foolish, since what I ordered was twice the price of what they brought. The waitress was very apologetic, but this is becoming a bad habit. But, the food is always good. Hopefully, the staff will get it together. Also, if they could raise the temperature above "meat locker", that'd be a treat. This is the second occasion in which all of us were very cold. I asked the nice young lady who greeted us if they could adjust it just a bit. Both times the answer I got was that the "staff gets hot from running back & forth". My mistake. I thought it was the patrons who should be accommodated, not the staff. Silly me.Special Features:
- Outstanding!MarcoNVIPDined on 9/8/2014Did not expect it to be as great as it turned out. Beautiful space with a great contemporary menu. Grilled oysters were amazing. Lobster fettuccine was wonderfully delicious! My new favorite restaurant in Long Island! WOW!Special Features:
- great food and great atmospheredarekmDined on 9/5/2014Second time dinning at Jewel and was just as satisfied as the first time. The food is great (I Recommend the skirt steak) the drinks are strong, and the atmosphere is great. I can't wait to come back and enjoy it again.Special Features:
- Tom does it again!ScottyVIPDined on 9/3/2014Leave it to Tom Schaudel to, once again, create a wonderful restaurant. The food is consistently great, it has a lovely ambiance & the service is always top-notch. I can't ask for anything more. That's why I go there frequently. You just can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attractive and they aim to please.DrewDined on 9/3/2014This restaurant is well-managed. The food is good. The environment is lovely. The staff is accommodating and unpretentious. Deserts are special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date nightneednightoutDined on 8/31/2014Went out for a spur of the moment date night on Sunday since we had a babysitter. Very quiet night, possibly due to holiday weekend? Service was exceptional; food was amazing. Great wine selection. Just a wonderful, quiet dinner without the kids! Would definitely recommend for special occasions, small groups; or if you're just looking for an upscale dining experience! They also have a Chef's Table set in a separate room which I thought was neat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I had the fish special and it was dried out. My friend had the pasta and it was tasteless, very disappointed.Special Features:
- Lovely meal and great ambianceChrisf21Dined on 8/30/2014The place is beautiful, the service attentive and the food was very good. We enjoyed everything; the Butternut Squash lasagna was an amazing standout. The watermelon corn salad was also super yummy and creative. The short ribs in a root beer reduction were good-- but just slightly not as good. I would not call them amazing, but they were very tasty, I think the sauce did not stand out enough... a little tiny bit bland but the meat itself was tasty. Desert was very good, but I am not sure the root beer float went with the pistachio gelato cake. The chocolate sauce was amazing. Not a cheap place. The service was all great and I love looking at the decor. Seats were comfy and they have booths too.Special Features:
- AmazingMKV04Dined on 8/29/2014I love, love, love this restaurant. I try to go once a month. Food never disappoints. Had the lobster it was great. If you haven't tried it you must!Special Features: