Jewel by Tom Schaudel
400 Broadhollow Road
Melville, NY 11747Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Jewel by Tom Schaudel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jewelrestaurantli.com/
- Phone: (631) 755-5777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schaudel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full on and off premise catering for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Schaudel 6317555777
- Entertainment: Thank you for your interest in Jewel Restaurant. We are currently offering Live Music on Sundays at 5pm, and Wednesday and Friday at 6pm.
A word from Jewel by Tom Schaudel
Jewel by Tom Schaudel is a farm to table restaurant offering the bounty of Long Island's fishermen, farmers, and growers. Our contemporary American menu allows you the choice of casual or special occasion dining. There are three private rooms that seat from 16 to 30 guests and a chef's table with seating up to ten. Our award winning international wine list has over two hundred selections as well as twenty by the glass and boasts the most comprehensive list of local wines on Long Island. The Dallago designed interior welcomes you with a casual sophistication and a warm inviting glow. Reservations are suggested. Come on by and experience Jewel by Tom Schaudel, a restaurant for Long Island by Long Island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jewel by Tom Schaudel - Best Restaurants in Melville ›
Jewel by Tom Schaudel reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (111)vibrant bar scene (83)good for groups (83)hot spot (74)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (55)romantic (47)great for lunch (29)great for outdoor dining (26)late-night find (17)great for brunch (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- 100% ambiance.Food good. Expensive for the qualityEastToPleaseDined on 11/22/2014I would still recommend to friends as it is a known hotspot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/19/2014Four friends went to celebrate a birthday. One of them drove all the way from Greenwich, CT. hoping to have a good dinner. The service was very very poor. We had to wait for half an hour before someone came to take our drink order. It took a long time before we got anything we asked for. Finally we had to ask for the manager to come and help. If the food was not good I think we would think twice before going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTjbjbVIPDined on 11/9/2014The food and service are always delightful .Special Features:
- Excellent space, food, and serviceEatanddrinkDined on 11/9/2014A hidden gem. We have a great experience in a modern tasteful space with the right level of noise and with attentive and experience service. The food, ahh! The food, as usual, the kind that the taste remains in your memory and have to have it again to repeat the experience . Take my hat off to the chef and the rest of the peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeMeechiroDined on 11/8/2014We went there for a nice date night dinner and boy they did not disappoint! I had the veal and shrimp meatballs which were amazing and then I had the blackened catfish which I have to admit was the best I've had in a long time. We will definitely be back there again. The whole place had a great aura to it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very crowdedMichBri131Dined on 11/7/2014Came here on Restaurant Week and the place was not very busy at all which was very surprising. Our waitress was very attentive, hospitable, and knowledgeable of the menu. The food was excellent but would have enjoyed a little bit more liveliness to the place on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Really Nicep1ll2buryDined on 11/7/2014I was there for a dining room management project and I think the restaurant did well and I would invite others the next time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner4theFoodDined on 11/7/2014So I needed a nice place for our 12th anniversary dinner. This fit the bill. We made reservations for 9pm and got there early, after a few drinks at the bar, we were seated by 8:55. The place is nice for a special occasion, but relaxed enough for a night out. Not overly stuffy and a good crowd. Throw in the live music, open atmosphere and did I mention the cool food. The food is very unique and fun. I always try something off the beaten path there, but it always surprises me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meet and greetArlibarliVIPDined on 11/7/2014I love the ambiance of this restaurant. The wait staff are pretty good. Maybe the front hostesses could look up and greet the customers but overall good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night VisitFoodforthoughtDined on 11/7/2014Disappointed. I felt the people at the bar had a better choice in tasting various appetizers for free, while I had to stick to one choice that I did not enjoy. I paid $10.00 for a glass of wine that I would consider to be about 1/4 filled. I ordered Butternut Lasagna and it was very dry, which I could not eat. My husband graciously volunteered to switch main course meal with his. I agreed. His choice of ribs tasted better, but he was stuck with my meal. Sadly, I will not be returning, unless it is for Happy Hour where I could get the food for free.
- Service needs work!FlashyButFlawedDined on 11/7/2014At a restaurant of this level, all should be perfect. The waiter should not have to ask "which one ordered the salmon?" And when he presents the dish, he should remove the empty plate and place the food in front of the diner....not slide it onto the side of the table and make the diner move an empty plate! Finally, if a restaurant must have valet parking, more than a single attendant should be present so the diner doesn't stand in the cold waiting for the lone person to shift cars and finally notice him!Special Features:
- Gr8fulfredeDined on 11/6/2014Excellent taste...service Tremendous value for restaurant weekSpecial Features:
- consistently excellentarthrodocVIPDined on 11/4/2014another excellent meal - with each dinner brought to appropriate diner without having to ask. excellent wine as well - brought our friends who also thoroughly enjoyedSpecial Features:
- A real gem & consistantly delishCiaoBellaDined on 11/4/2014Came for restaurant week, already knew how great the food is, and really enjoyed it yet again. Very crowded weeknight reservations were handled perfectly, apps included Thai mussels, small fresh plump mussels in a coconut curry broth, a perfectly fine Ceaser salad, veal & shrimp meatballs (sounded strange but very tender and tasty) and a sweet little beet salad. Three of us ordered the lobster risotto, shelled with wild mushroom in truffle scented risotto. Best I ever had. Favorite dessert was the apple crisp. Pumpkin cheesecake a close second. All good. Always recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dianerDianeNYCDined on 11/4/2014Great place. Décor outstanding and the food was wonderful - the meat just fell off the bone on the short ribs. Wild mushroom soup was great. We ate in the room between the sushi room and the bar area and liked it there - great for conversation away from the entertainment. Service was lacking - waitress kept forgetting things.Special Features:
- Favorite!KitaDined on 11/4/2014Great food, great wine - Tom Schaudel never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabuloustruedivaDined on 11/4/2014It was great! Food Service and Ambience! FABULOUSNESS WONDERFUL CHIC COOL PLEASANT friendly. My daughter's and myself Enjoyyy the experience. We will return and suggest to othrrs to dine at your place. I've had parties at the Four in your area and am looking forward to doing business with you as well in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyfoodadventureDined on 11/3/2014I took two teenagers and a recent College grad. Also, went restaurant week. Absolutely great choices for picky eaters and foodies! We tried about 14 different items and most of us tasted them all, and every dish was fantastic. Waitress very knowledgeable about menu and beer list. Great staff! Teenagers were welcomed and everyone felt spoiled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressedKarenDined on 11/1/2014I was actually a little disappointed with our dining experience. The place is beautiful, but food was not exceptional, service was not good, and cost was high. After our entrees were served, we never saw our waiter again. I was never asked if I wanted another glass of wine. We sat for a long time until someone else noticed that we were done and asked if we wanted to see a dessert menu. Same issue when we were waiting for the check. I would not return or recommend it.
- Good but LOUDHappydinerDined on 10/30/2014Good good and service but with happy hour crowd on Thursday you can't have a conversation even in a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corporate LunchSissyDined on 10/28/2014Had a great experience, I did not enjoy my food ( the pork belly tacos), but the ambiance and service was fantastic. Will be back to explore more of the menu!Special Features:
- understaffedunderstaffedDined on 10/25/2014We sat at the bar for drinks and dinner. Every single seat was filled. There were only two bartenders that were expected to serve this huge bar (many people eating dinner and requiring service for that as well as drinks) AND they were expected to also serve the drinks to the waitstaff that were serving diners at their seats. Every single seat was occupied. It seemed like they needed at least 4 bartenders that night. Of the two waiters, one was working like a dog and trying his hardest while the other seemed to be just walking around in circles. It was very frustrating and we usually get great service here.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Little disappointed with fish special! The flavor was on the bland side and very small! Sushi was very good ! Need to be a little more polished and articulate at the hostess desk upon arriving!! That was a little disorganized when we Arrived and coyuse some polishing !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancycDined on 10/24/2014Wonderful food, excellent service get ambiance..perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melville GemRetiredPrincessDined on 10/23/2014Have been here before. The food was outstanding. The staff are pleasant and helpful. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time POOR serviceCoachVIPDined on 10/23/2014waitress forgot to bring drinks. Took long to place order. Very unengaged i have visted restaturant many times...firs poor service experienceSpecial Features:
- harriVIPDined on 10/18/2014Restaurant Week menu was extensive. However, the dishes were uneven. One appetizer was not hot, the short ribs were fairly tasteless. The service was also uneven. Overall, it is a lovely venue. Might try it again.Special Features:
- Just blandTompVIPDined on 10/17/2014Swordfish was flavorless, gnocchi was over cooked and every bite had pieces of fresh basil, cheesecake desert was partially frozen. Not one plate from our group of 4 was something we would make us want to come back.
- Truly enjoyed everything we atehoneyVIPDined on 10/17/2014We went there for restaurant week. Food was excellent . wonderful flavors . All 3 courses were surpurb . We had meatballs which were made with shrimp and veal , so good. Then I had salmon and the others has skirt steak. We were all pleased with what we ordered. Each dessert was delicious . I would definetly recommend this restaurant to all. The only negative is that it does get very noisy at night because of the bar area and because it is very busy at night. I would definetly go back.Special Features:
- Good but noisyStannieDined on 10/17/2014Well prepared meals and great service by knowledgeable wait staffSpecial Features:
- LalaDined on 10/17/2014Great place. I love all Tom Schaudel's restaurants. It has it all. Good food and great atmosphere. I am a bread lover and the bread basket was great.Special Features:
- lyn48Dined on 10/16/2014Always a treat. We are never disappointed. The food is prepared so well and the servers are excellent. Everyone has a warm friendly attitude. We go to this restaurant frequently.Special Features:
- Love it here!KitaDined on 10/13/2014We're big fans of Tom Schaudel and his food. The food is predominantly local and cd eative. Ambience is lively and elegant. Wine list changes, as Tom tastes a lot and adds notable choices to the list. All of his restaurants follow the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014It was so loud I couldn't hear the people I was with. The food was good but took forever to get. Our dessert came out 15 minutes before our coffee. The waitress was very nice. I don't think id choose to go back here. What you get isn't worth what you pay.
- Sneaky wine service....LuvrwineDined on 10/11/2014We ordered a 2011 bottle of Silverado Cabernet- and they brought us out an OPENED 2010. We'd never been to a restaurant, dive or bar, where a bottle of wine isn't opened table side. Then, our waiter/wine guy (Pat) SWIRLED the wine in the bottle, mixing up the sediment, and poured it into the decanter we requested. The real kicker, was it wasn't the Cabernet we ordered!! It was then we realized WHY the bottle was open. Neither my husband nor myself said anything, because we wanted to have a nice evening, which we did, in spite of the wine episode- but will we go back....absolutely not!!Special Features:
- Business lunch on 110Workon110Dined on 10/6/2014Everything was wonderful. Great service. Great food. Perfect place for a business lunch on the 110 corridor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatluv2dineoutDined on 10/5/2014This was our third Sunday in a row dining here...first Sunday we brought friends here it was excellent. Second Sunday we went with other friends and it was just ok that night, food was not hot and we had to search for our waitress, definitely an off night. Third Sunday friends from the first Sunday wanted to go back again and it was great - food was excellent and our server Christian was terrific. What we noticed was when Tom Shaudel was there overseeing the kitchen the food was great, the time he was not there was when it was an off night. We dine here pretty regularly and love the Sunday price fix menu, the skirt steak is the best anywhere. The service sometimes leaves something to be desired so ask for Christian, he was great!Special Features:
- Great conceptMericVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have eaten here half dozen times..room beautiful..terrific food..but dishes seem to remain the same basically,,more variety needed..nice wine selections..unique bathroom..Sunday night special is a great plus..otherwise prices are higher than our budget can handle on a regular basis..Special Features:
- Fall FlavorsDatenightdinerDined on 10/3/2014Jewel never disappoints. The menu is amazing and the food is terrific. I had the butternut squash lasagna and my wife went with the lobster themed appetizer/ entree and the bisque was creamy yet lite and her linguini with lobster was quite memorable. The butternut squash lasagne was packed with flavor from sweet to savory, and the pasta was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Evening "Jewel"newyorker11VIPDined on 10/3/2014On this trip to Jewel, I went into the Be-Ju Sushi area. The food was excellent; service wonderful and the ambiance was relaxing.Special Features: