Jewel by Tom Schaudel
400 Broadhollow Road
Melville, NY 11747Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Jewel by Tom Schaudel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jewelrestaurantli.com/
- Phone: 6317555777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schaudel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full on and off premise catering for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Schaudel 6317555777
- Entertainment: Thank you for your interest in Jewel Restaurant. We are currently offering Live Music on Sundays at 5pm, and Wednesday and Friday at 6pm.
A word from Jewel by Tom Schaudel
Jewel by Tom Schaudel is a farm to table restaurant offering the bounty of Long Island's fishermen, farmers, and growers. Our contemporary American menu allows you the choice of casual or special occasion dining. There are three private rooms that seat from 16 to 30 guests and a chef's table with seating up to ten. Our award winning international wine list has over two hundred selections as well as twenty by the glass and boasts the most comprehensive list of local wines on Long Island. The Dallago designed interior welcomes you with a casual sophistication and a warm inviting glow. Reservations are suggested. Come on by and experience Jewel by Tom Schaudel, a restaurant for Long Island by Long Island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jewel by Tom Schaudel - Best Restaurants in Melville ›
Jewel by Tom Schaudel reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (108)fit for foodies (85)vibrant bar scene (79)hot spot (64)romantic (60)good for groups (57)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (32)great for outdoor dining (29)great for brunch (12)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great choice for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Our top spot for business lunches. Convenient, good food, nice ambience and helpful staff. Bar scene is fun too, as are the outside tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eatGinaVIPDined on 8/17/2014The ambience sets the stage for a great dining experience; glass light fixtures, water features, out-door fire pit, and check out the guys bathroom for a laugh. The food is better than average, and the pre-fix is a great option.Special Features:
- Hoping for a bit moreSPN1VIPDined on 8/16/2014What a beautiful restaurant with a great menu. But we were left hoping for a bit more...especially for the prices. We were underwhelmed by the food. Nothing wrong with it...but it just wasn't outstanding or memorable.
- Worst customer serviceWantedwater2drinkDined on 8/15/2014After hearing about me speak highly of this restaurant to my sister, she joined me for what should have been a pleasant experience Friday evening. We had reservations, were seated in a far corner of the restaurant and promptly IGNORED all evening. Bread arrived quickly, a request for butter took 15 minutes. Our wine order was taken within a reasonable amount of time, but again 15 minutes to arrive. After our entree was served we NEVER saw the waiter again until dessert. Water would have been nice, the only prompt service was the check arrival, the dessert had been forgotten. I have no desire to ever return. Shame on the manager and staff of this establishment.Special Features:
- Alwasys wonderful at JewelitzrockerVIPDined on 8/12/2014I've been to Jewel numerous times and I am never dissapointed, tonights visit was even better than expected. For the past year or so Jewel has had a sushi restaurant inside Jewel itself called Be Ju. My wife and I are not avid sushi eaters so we have not had the opportunity to try it, but tonight that opportunity was there as Jewel now offers the sushi menu along with it's regular menu. So, we both had one course of our meal from the sushi menu and we loved it! Soft shell crab sushi! amazing! Do not skip a chance to have dinner here.Special Features:
- Great place!SteakLoverVIPDined on 8/12/2014I was pleasantly surprised with Jewel. Food was delicious and the atmosphere was open and vibrant. We started out with the cheese platter that was on the dessert menu. Great variety of cheeses and so delicious with the cherry compote and honey. We then had the rib eye and lobster risotto. Wow! Delicious!!! I love how this place uses fresh local ingredients. Service was great and friendly. We were impressed and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2014Although the food was great, as always, other things, not so much. Granted, it was a Monday night, but if a restaurant is open, everything should be working. First, the restaurant was quite empty, and we were brought to a table by the serving stand, the first turn-off for us. After studying the menu, and ordering drinks, hubby and I both wanted the butter poached lobster. Only 1 order left, at 7 pm? That's something that shouldn't happen with a menu item. I ended up with the swordfish, because I had a quicker 2nd choice. Appetizers were great, service was rather quick, so when we ordered wine and it took 15 minutes to get, it was way too long. Manager knew we were annoyed, so brought an after dinner sparkling muscato. Nice touch.
- DrJOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2014As always, great food and fun experience. The menu is vast. Not a typical steak house with a limited menu. Lot's to choose from. Great appetizers, different fish dishes and what a wonderful waiters staff. I've been telling everyone.Special Features:
- Jewel is definitely a jewelKMC60Dined on 8/9/2014Atmospere is very hip, great interior design. Food is gourmand with many delicious offerings now including sushi. The diver scallops, a special, were cooked perfectly and truly delicious. Service was impeccable as always. A must go for everyone. Don't for get to visit the men's room!Special Features:
- Service was unevenheyjudeDined on 8/8/2014We arrived early and sat at bar, bartenders were awesome and attentive. We went past our reservation time without being seated even though the dining room had emptied out. We went back to hostess who seated us in the middle of the empty dining room where we sat for 20 minutes before a server came over. (Bread and water were delivered) but no one greeted us said be with you in a minute nothing. Once we again approached hostess we quickly go service which was fine for the rest of night. We have eaten at Jewel before and also at a Mano and Coolfish first time anything like this has happened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/2/2014Very attractive restaurant, waitstaff and front of house personnel were very professional. I ordered a shrimp cocktail and Lobster meat on top of a very tasty risotto. My meal was delicious, done to perfection. My wife had a shrimp dish which came butterflied on a full shell , the shell was charred which transferred a charred taste to the shrimp (which she didn't care for). We will definitely be returning to try other offerings. Several reviews on Open Table mentioned Jewel was "pricey", compared to other decent restaurants I thought Jewel was a good value.Special Features:
- Totally DelishsparkyDined on 7/25/2014This was my second visit to the restaurant. I had the lobster risotto again and I think it was better than the first time I had it if that is possible. Totally yummy and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel is a gemtrysomethingnewDined on 7/25/2014Lovely place with friendly ambiance friday evening at the bar. Met Tom Schaudel who has a very relaxed style and a friendly smile. I was delighted to see him out with his patrons for a bit. Tasty passed hors d'ouvres & veggie sides that my friends and I ordered were delish. Grilled octopus however was disappointing: too chewy and way too salty, although the presentation was exciting. Exchanged it for tuna tartar and was much more pleased with flavors and texture. The music included some pop but was primarily jazz (my preference) with a great duo: vocalist Melody Rose & her guitar accompanist, Michael Gallager. I'll be back & hope they are back too. Love the open air feel plus the outdoor seating that's like a private backyard party.Special Features:
- Classy with food to die forSouthshorefoodieDined on 7/25/2014First timer at this deceptive restaurant that looks like an office building. Started with cocktails, summer corn and watermelon salad, while my wife had the golden beet salad..these appetizers set the bar high..followed up with the cajun swordfish special which didnt disappoint..serving size was more than ample.the chocolate meringue and pistachio ice cream sandwich was stellar. Erika D. Did a wonderful job all night...tom definitely has a "jewel" here. PS..he is a cool guy and we will definitely be coming back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonN1Dined on 7/21/2014An excellent dinning experience with outstanding food choices and superb serviceSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed it!dinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were very happy with the choice to dine at Jewel. We loved that we could hear each other talk without having to shout. The food was excellent with one glaring exception - the drunken pretzel dessert. We can't figure out how that became a menu choice. If it wasn't for that, I'd give all 5 stars. The only other downfall is the price, but if you go prepared for an expensive meal then you won't be caught off guard. We will return and next time choose a different dessert. Enjoyed the salmon. Excellent service, friendly waiter.Special Features:
- worth goinglovetoeat5Dined on 7/19/2014the space itself is worth the trip and I heard the men's room is an experience….service was excellent, food very good - desserts looked awesome but portions too large - couldn't fit dessert inSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Delish!CookieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dine at Jewel often...the food is always yummy, and consistent...Tonights service was extra impressive, we had a server named Lauren and just made the dining experience that much better, very pleasant and professional..(for some reason Jewel is not exactly too picky about the personalities of their Waitstaff and Hostesses, Servers come off with attitudes and tonights hostess walked through the dining room without smiling once as she seated her guests) In any case we do enjoy it and it's always a good "go to" choice when we can't decide....The Pear Martini is killer!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014great setting... really different .... big but plenty of privacy if that is what you want ...food is sensational....hard not to have a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel is a Jewel?SandiesqVIPDined on 7/11/2014We went there for a Friday night dinner primarily for the lobster bake. It was yummy and perfectly cooked. We were meeting a friend who had never eaten there. We had been there many times before . We had 7 pm reservations which were noted and duly honored. Our friend, who got there 5 minutes later was told that not only did I not have reservations, but I had not shown up yet. 20 minutes later I called to inquire as to his whereabouts and was told that he had been standing outside all of this time. When we advised the waitress of this she called over the manager who duly apologized and told us he would take care of it. He did, he picked up alcoholic, but not non alcoholic drinks. Too bad for the non drinkers! LOL!Special Features:
- excellent food great servicermpwDined on 7/2/2014we have been here a few times, we brought another couple for their first time. the service was great as always. the short ribs were outstanding. I loved the banana and also the chocolate dessert. the cheese cake was good too. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Just OKWino33Dined on 6/30/2014I was a little disappointed in my lunch at Jewel. If I had not been there on a business lunch with a need to get back to the office I would have sent my lunch back. The bottom of my crab cake sandwich was burnt but it took so long to get our lunches that I did not have time to complain and wait for another sandwich. For $19 I expected better and it had the potential to be a great crab cake sandwich. My two guests seemed pleased with their meals.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014My mother is a big fan of Mr. Schaudel's restaurants, and has been dying to try Jewel for ages. We were not disappointed. The Sunday Price Fix menu was a great intro to their menu. Lots of choices for all palates. We're definitely going back and bringing the rest of the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable nice upbeat reastaurantMindyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Nice patio area to have drinks before dinner Good food Nice service
- Very surprisedBatteryguyDined on 6/24/2014Found this restaurant when searching for a place in Melville. We were a group of 4 men, early 40's. Found the place to be very nice. Staff was attentive, drinks were good and food was great. We were at our table for nearly 3 hours with no sense of urgency whatsoever. Highly recommend and would return again.Special Features:
- DisappointingfoodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014From first being seated, which seemed to be a chore (tried to seat us in one of the worst tables - by the entry door) to finally being attended to, everything seemed difficult. Was disappointed in the service or lack of - had to ask for items multiple times from others, rather than our server, who seemed to have disappeared for periods of time. Also, asked for a dish to be prepared a certain way - sides and sauce on the side, and it was served one on top of the other. No one listens! Finally, the food looked wonderful on the menu, but not so in person - kind of bland.
- dore22Dined on 6/21/2014This is the 3rd time I've been to Jewel. I was very disappointed in the meal. We were a party of 4 and 3 of us ordered the special fish which was Red Snapper. It was tasteless and dry. The other person ordered the short ribs which was good. We sat at the bar before the meal that was the best part. It is pretty and the drinks were good.Special Features:
- Nice but not worth itsusankDined on 6/20/2014It is a pretty place and very clean. The bar was active and even though we were seated next to it there was no problem with noise or crowds. The food was good and some dishes very good but prices were high. The biggest problem was the fact that our waitress essentially abandoned us. After we finished eating I watched the clock. 20 minutes went by before we flagged down any other waitress to find ours. The second waitress was very nice and offered to get us dessert menus. She took our order and finished the service but had we not actively grabbed her we'd still be sitting there waiting. Managers checked on us right after we got our main courses but never again afterward.
- JewelsDined on 6/20/2014Loved the food and ambiance, service was terrific. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Pass on the sushiPatsyDined on 6/18/2014The restaurant is beautiful. The waiter was not very friendly or attentive. The sushi was passable but I would wait to order sushi when I am in a real sushi restaurant. The menu is a little funky. Not sure I would go back.
- Chase's Doctor DadNeilVIPDined on 6/15/2014Went here for Father's Day and food was very good. Tom Schaudel was on premises watching over the open kitchen. Service was lacking, perhaps due to staffing on father's day ( although appeared to have enough wait staff), but certainly not at the level you would expect at a restaurant of this reputation. My wife and I both remarked that we've had recent better meals and experiences at Limani and Rothman's for comparison. Don't mean to be a naysayer , but I didn't get what all the raves have been for the last two years.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/13/2014Food was very good. Service was attentive and friendly.The price on the Friday lobster special was very good also. Prices were on the higher side burt were more reasonable compared to the local steak houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionSpecialOccasionDinerDined on 6/11/2014One of Long Island's prettiest restaurants, excellent meal. Timing of the courses being served was very nice. We did not feel rushed at all. Restaurant was a bit loud but we were in the center of the restaurant. We were here for a 16th birthday. Perfect for our foodie daughter. Not a lot of choices for her brothers but there is a pizza on the menu and a burger if you ask for it and that was just fine for them. Butter poached lobster was a treat and my husband's steak was cooked to perfection. Only minimal complaint would be that they could use another dessert option or two to share for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedalexzDined on 6/10/2014We have eaten at Jewel a few times and was very disappointed on this last occasion. My fish, which was a special for the evening, was very bland and almost tasted boiled. My husband's duck was dry. I don't think we will be returning there. The bar area is very noisy until 7 but it is a very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- average and over pricedmelvillerxDined on 6/10/2014Jewel is just ok. Nothing impressed. Table of 5 for lunch. Some had sushi and 2 of us had filet. Sushi was average. If you're going to charge Nisen prices you better have top quality. I asked for a medium rare filet. It came over charred and medium well. Seasoned well an plated nicely. There is a certain expectation when you pay $44 for a filet for lunch. Jewel misses the mark. Service was also very slow. This restaurant is just ok at best. I'm glad we tried it but won't be going back.Special Features:
- RenoirDined on 6/7/2014Hot food made it to the table cold. Time to change the restroom light show and get the recording of the girl pulledSpecial Features:
- Too crowded!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/6/2014Arrived early for my reservation on the first nice Friday night of summer only to find both decks closed for private parties and the bar partially shut as well. Asked about sitting early and was denied. We eat at Jewel quite often and have never had a problem. Luckily, the Food and service saved the night! Our waiter was awesome and the food, as usual, lived up to our expectations.Special Features:
- Last visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2014We have been to Jewel a number of times and they usually deliver a decent meal. On the last visit, we went to find out they were having a "media event" and the place was extremely loud with a lot of drunken people in the bar area. We asked to be seated away from the bar. So...we were placed immediately next to a Sweet Sixteen birthday party. Although the food was decent, the atmosphere definitely took away from the evening as we were shouting at each other to be heard. Not a pleasant atmosphere for dinner with friends. It seems as if they'd rather be a nightclub than a restaurant, kind of like the former Four Food Studio, and if that's the case, we won't be going back as there are far too many restaurants with a better atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great service and foodDrKHDined on 6/4/2014Very pleased with our first dining experience here. It was our 20th anniversary and the restaurant manager acknowledged it nicely. Food was excellent, staff and service superb. Will definitely be back. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableBBall46VIPDined on 6/4/2014I am familiar with Tom Schaudel from his ventures on the North Fork. I found Jewel very inviting, décor is very pleasing. Service was excellent, very attentive. Food was well prepared everyone seemed to be very happy with their selections. A plus is the diversity of the menu. I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.