Jewel by Tom Schaudel
400 Broadhollow Road
Melville, NY 11747Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Jewel by Tom Schaudel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jewelrestaurantli.com/
- Phone: 6317555777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schaudel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full on and off premise catering for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Schaudel 6317555777
- Entertainment: Thank you for your interest in Jewel Restaurant. We are currently offering Live Music on Sundays at 5pm, and Wednesday and Friday at 6pm.
A word from Jewel by Tom Schaudel
Jewel by Tom Schaudel is a farm to table restaurant offering the bounty of Long Island's fishermen, farmers, and growers. Our contemporary American menu allows you the choice of casual or special occasion dining. There are three private rooms that seat from 16 to 30 guests and a chef's table with seating up to ten. Our award winning international wine list has over two hundred selections as well as twenty by the glass and boasts the most comprehensive list of local wines on Long Island. The Dallago designed interior welcomes you with a casual sophistication and a warm inviting glow. Reservations are suggested. Come on by and experience Jewel by Tom Schaudel, a restaurant for Long Island by Long Island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jewel by Tom Schaudel - Best Restaurants in Melville ›
Jewel by Tom Schaudel reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (81)vibrant bar scene (68)hot spot (55)good for groups (55)romantic (55)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (43)great for outdoor dining (32)great for lunch (27)late-night find (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great Food and DecorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Look and feel of a trendy NYC spot on the corridor. Excellent vibe, beautiful artistic setting and the food and service to match. Top shelf wine list with local flair compliments a simple, elegant menu that would address any taste. The food is good and the place is fun.Special Features:
- 82muchVIPDined on 9/14/2014Tom Schaudel is a GREAT chef! The room is whimsical AND luxurious. Sunday prix fixe dinner is a gift.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel late night diningFugetaboutitDined on 9/13/2014Challenging menu with predominance of sea food. Shrimp veal meatballs only an Arnold Palmer drinker could enjoy. Halibut special just ok. Better at lunch. Nice bar. Hip 50 ish croud.Special Features:
- OK for Long islandWAK2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014Schaudel restaurants always reflect some culinary creativity. The Uni custard was a good example - sublime. But filling Jewel with diners each night means dumbing down the flavor profiles - or so it seems. The tuna pizza looked great but desperately needed needed wasabi/soy (yes wasabi was listed on the menu but it was hiding on my pizza). The market salad - not quite ripe "local" peaches with a dressing that was too sweet. I was also amazed at the high percentage of Male Slobs - 40 and older who think they can just throw on a shirt and jeans (and 2 day Cialis actor stubble) and go to an elegant restaurant - all the while their significant others are appropriately dressed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014We had been given a gift certificate, so we decided to try Jewel. It was wonderful and a place to which we will return. The lobster risotto was superb.Special Features:
- Love this placeFdollieVIPDined on 9/10/2014I have been here several times and rthe food is always fabulous and now you can add Japanese food. Tom Shaudel you've done it again!!!Special Features:
- Staring to wane a bit.ScottyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Well, I've enjoyed eating here many times, but it's starting to get a bit frustrating. Once again, they brought me the wrong dish. How foolish, since what I ordered was twice the price of what they brought. The waitress was very apologetic, but this is becoming a bad habit. But, the food is always good. Hopefully, the staff will get it together. Also, if they could raise the temperature above "meat locker", that'd be a treat. This is the second occasion in which all of us were very cold. I asked the nice young lady who greeted us if they could adjust it just a bit. Both times the answer I got was that the "staff gets hot from running back & forth". My mistake. I thought it was the patrons who should be accommodated, not the staff. Silly me.Special Features:
- Outstanding!MarcoNVIPDined on 9/8/2014Did not expect it to be as great as it turned out. Beautiful space with a great contemporary menu. Grilled oysters were amazing. Lobster fettuccine was wonderfully delicious! My new favorite restaurant in Long Island! WOW!Special Features:
- great food and great atmospheredarekmDined on 9/5/2014Second time dinning at Jewel and was just as satisfied as the first time. The food is great (I Recommend the skirt steak) the drinks are strong, and the atmosphere is great. I can't wait to come back and enjoy it again.Special Features:
- Tom does it again!ScottyVIPDined on 9/3/2014Leave it to Tom Schaudel to, once again, create a wonderful restaurant. The food is consistently great, it has a lovely ambiance & the service is always top-notch. I can't ask for anything more. That's why I go there frequently. You just can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attractive and they aim to please.DrewDined on 9/3/2014This restaurant is well-managed. The food is good. The environment is lovely. The staff is accommodating and unpretentious. Deserts are special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date nightneednightoutDined on 8/31/2014Went out for a spur of the moment date night on Sunday since we had a babysitter. Very quiet night, possibly due to holiday weekend? Service was exceptional; food was amazing. Great wine selection. Just a wonderful, quiet dinner without the kids! Would definitely recommend for special occasions, small groups; or if you're just looking for an upscale dining experience! They also have a Chef's Table set in a separate room which I thought was neat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I had the fish special and it was dried out. My friend had the pasta and it was tasteless, very disappointed.Special Features:
- Lovely meal and great ambianceChrisf21Dined on 8/30/2014The place is beautiful, the service attentive and the food was very good. We enjoyed everything; the Butternut Squash lasagna was an amazing standout. The watermelon corn salad was also super yummy and creative. The short ribs in a root beer reduction were good-- but just slightly not as good. I would not call them amazing, but they were very tasty, I think the sauce did not stand out enough... a little tiny bit bland but the meat itself was tasty. Desert was very good, but I am not sure the root beer float went with the pistachio gelato cake. The chocolate sauce was amazing. Not a cheap place. The service was all great and I love looking at the decor. Seats were comfy and they have booths too.Special Features:
- AmazingMKV04Dined on 8/29/2014I love, love, love this restaurant. I try to go once a month. Food never disappoints. Had the lobster it was great. If you haven't tried it you must!Special Features:
- HeleDined on 8/29/2014Nice fixe prix lobster dinner. Good service and wonderful atmosphere.
- HIGH ENDArlibarliVIPDined on 8/28/2014THIS WAS A BEAUTIFUL RESTAURNT. THE ELECTRICAL LIGHTING WAS AWESOME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Our top spot for business lunches. Convenient, good food, nice ambience and helpful staff. Bar scene is fun too, as are the outside tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eatGinaVIPDined on 8/17/2014The ambience sets the stage for a great dining experience; glass light fixtures, water features, out-door fire pit, and check out the guys bathroom for a laugh. The food is better than average, and the pre-fix is a great option.Special Features:
- Hoping for a bit moreSPN1VIPDined on 8/16/2014What a beautiful restaurant with a great menu. But we were left hoping for a bit more...especially for the prices. We were underwhelmed by the food. Nothing wrong with it...but it just wasn't outstanding or memorable.
- Worst customer serviceWantedwater2drinkDined on 8/15/2014After hearing about me speak highly of this restaurant to my sister, she joined me for what should have been a pleasant experience Friday evening. We had reservations, were seated in a far corner of the restaurant and promptly IGNORED all evening. Bread arrived quickly, a request for butter took 15 minutes. Our wine order was taken within a reasonable amount of time, but again 15 minutes to arrive. After our entree was served we NEVER saw the waiter again until dessert. Water would have been nice, the only prompt service was the check arrival, the dessert had been forgotten. I have no desire to ever return. Shame on the manager and staff of this establishment.Special Features:
- Alwasys wonderful at JewelitzrockerVIPDined on 8/12/2014I've been to Jewel numerous times and I am never dissapointed, tonights visit was even better than expected. For the past year or so Jewel has had a sushi restaurant inside Jewel itself called Be Ju. My wife and I are not avid sushi eaters so we have not had the opportunity to try it, but tonight that opportunity was there as Jewel now offers the sushi menu along with it's regular menu. So, we both had one course of our meal from the sushi menu and we loved it! Soft shell crab sushi! amazing! Do not skip a chance to have dinner here.Special Features:
- Great place!SteakLoverVIPDined on 8/12/2014I was pleasantly surprised with Jewel. Food was delicious and the atmosphere was open and vibrant. We started out with the cheese platter that was on the dessert menu. Great variety of cheeses and so delicious with the cherry compote and honey. We then had the rib eye and lobster risotto. Wow! Delicious!!! I love how this place uses fresh local ingredients. Service was great and friendly. We were impressed and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2014Although the food was great, as always, other things, not so much. Granted, it was a Monday night, but if a restaurant is open, everything should be working. First, the restaurant was quite empty, and we were brought to a table by the serving stand, the first turn-off for us. After studying the menu, and ordering drinks, hubby and I both wanted the butter poached lobster. Only 1 order left, at 7 pm? That's something that shouldn't happen with a menu item. I ended up with the swordfish, because I had a quicker 2nd choice. Appetizers were great, service was rather quick, so when we ordered wine and it took 15 minutes to get, it was way too long. Manager knew we were annoyed, so brought an after dinner sparkling muscato. Nice touch.
- DrJOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2014As always, great food and fun experience. The menu is vast. Not a typical steak house with a limited menu. Lot's to choose from. Great appetizers, different fish dishes and what a wonderful waiters staff. I've been telling everyone.Special Features:
- Jewel is definitely a jewelKMC60Dined on 8/9/2014Atmospere is very hip, great interior design. Food is gourmand with many delicious offerings now including sushi. The diver scallops, a special, were cooked perfectly and truly delicious. Service was impeccable as always. A must go for everyone. Don't for get to visit the men's room!Special Features:
- Service was unevenheyjudeDined on 8/8/2014We arrived early and sat at bar, bartenders were awesome and attentive. We went past our reservation time without being seated even though the dining room had emptied out. We went back to hostess who seated us in the middle of the empty dining room where we sat for 20 minutes before a server came over. (Bread and water were delivered) but no one greeted us said be with you in a minute nothing. Once we again approached hostess we quickly go service which was fine for the rest of night. We have eaten at Jewel before and also at a Mano and Coolfish first time anything like this has happened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/2/2014Very attractive restaurant, waitstaff and front of house personnel were very professional. I ordered a shrimp cocktail and Lobster meat on top of a very tasty risotto. My meal was delicious, done to perfection. My wife had a shrimp dish which came butterflied on a full shell , the shell was charred which transferred a charred taste to the shrimp (which she didn't care for). We will definitely be returning to try other offerings. Several reviews on Open Table mentioned Jewel was "pricey", compared to other decent restaurants I thought Jewel was a good value.Special Features:
- Totally DelishsparkyDined on 7/25/2014This was my second visit to the restaurant. I had the lobster risotto again and I think it was better than the first time I had it if that is possible. Totally yummy and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel is a gemtrysomethingnewDined on 7/25/2014Lovely place with friendly ambiance friday evening at the bar. Met Tom Schaudel who has a very relaxed style and a friendly smile. I was delighted to see him out with his patrons for a bit. Tasty passed hors d'ouvres & veggie sides that my friends and I ordered were delish. Grilled octopus however was disappointing: too chewy and way too salty, although the presentation was exciting. Exchanged it for tuna tartar and was much more pleased with flavors and texture. The music included some pop but was primarily jazz (my preference) with a great duo: vocalist Melody Rose & her guitar accompanist, Michael Gallager. I'll be back & hope they are back too. Love the open air feel plus the outdoor seating that's like a private backyard party.Special Features:
- Classy with food to die forSouthshorefoodieDined on 7/25/2014First timer at this deceptive restaurant that looks like an office building. Started with cocktails, summer corn and watermelon salad, while my wife had the golden beet salad..these appetizers set the bar high..followed up with the cajun swordfish special which didnt disappoint..serving size was more than ample.the chocolate meringue and pistachio ice cream sandwich was stellar. Erika D. Did a wonderful job all night...tom definitely has a "jewel" here. PS..he is a cool guy and we will definitely be coming back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonN1Dined on 7/21/2014An excellent dinning experience with outstanding food choices and superb serviceSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed it!dinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were very happy with the choice to dine at Jewel. We loved that we could hear each other talk without having to shout. The food was excellent with one glaring exception - the drunken pretzel dessert. We can't figure out how that became a menu choice. If it wasn't for that, I'd give all 5 stars. The only other downfall is the price, but if you go prepared for an expensive meal then you won't be caught off guard. We will return and next time choose a different dessert. Enjoyed the salmon. Excellent service, friendly waiter.Special Features:
- worth goinglovetoeat5Dined on 7/19/2014the space itself is worth the trip and I heard the men's room is an experience….service was excellent, food very good - desserts looked awesome but portions too large - couldn't fit dessert inSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Delish!CookieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dine at Jewel often...the food is always yummy, and consistent...Tonights service was extra impressive, we had a server named Lauren and just made the dining experience that much better, very pleasant and professional..(for some reason Jewel is not exactly too picky about the personalities of their Waitstaff and Hostesses, Servers come off with attitudes and tonights hostess walked through the dining room without smiling once as she seated her guests) In any case we do enjoy it and it's always a good "go to" choice when we can't decide....The Pear Martini is killer!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014great setting... really different .... big but plenty of privacy if that is what you want ...food is sensational....hard not to have a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel is a Jewel?SandiesqVIPDined on 7/11/2014We went there for a Friday night dinner primarily for the lobster bake. It was yummy and perfectly cooked. We were meeting a friend who had never eaten there. We had been there many times before . We had 7 pm reservations which were noted and duly honored. Our friend, who got there 5 minutes later was told that not only did I not have reservations, but I had not shown up yet. 20 minutes later I called to inquire as to his whereabouts and was told that he had been standing outside all of this time. When we advised the waitress of this she called over the manager who duly apologized and told us he would take care of it. He did, he picked up alcoholic, but not non alcoholic drinks. Too bad for the non drinkers! LOL!Special Features:
- excellent food great servicermpwDined on 7/2/2014we have been here a few times, we brought another couple for their first time. the service was great as always. the short ribs were outstanding. I loved the banana and also the chocolate dessert. the cheese cake was good too. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Just OKWino33Dined on 6/30/2014I was a little disappointed in my lunch at Jewel. If I had not been there on a business lunch with a need to get back to the office I would have sent my lunch back. The bottom of my crab cake sandwich was burnt but it took so long to get our lunches that I did not have time to complain and wait for another sandwich. For $19 I expected better and it had the potential to be a great crab cake sandwich. My two guests seemed pleased with their meals.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014My mother is a big fan of Mr. Schaudel's restaurants, and has been dying to try Jewel for ages. We were not disappointed. The Sunday Price Fix menu was a great intro to their menu. Lots of choices for all palates. We're definitely going back and bringing the rest of the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.