239 E. 5th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jewelbakosushi.com/
- Phone: 2129791012
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 6:30pm - 11:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 6:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Yoshi Kousaka
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Wine
A word from Jewel Bako
Jewel Bako presents traditional sushi in a modern way, offering a seasonally focused assortment of exotic and local fish. The space is warm and intimate, set off by an elegant design of bamboo and mirrored glass; sushi is presented with artistry and balance on various hand crafted French and Japanese plates; and the artisan sakes and hand selected wines delicately enhance the cuisine.Continued
Jewel Bako has proudly earned a Michelin star for eight consecutive years.
Online reservations serve the dining room only; Sushi bar reservations are not available online.
Jewel Bako has proudly earned a Michelin star for eight consecutive years.
Online reservations serve the dining room only; Sushi bar reservations are not available online.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Jewel Bako - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Jewel Bako reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (20)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fresh, delicious sushimidsaaDined on 10/11/2014If you like fresh and delicious fish, this is an ideal place. I would recommend it for those who have had sushi enough to know the good from the bad, of course, because it can be a subtle experience. Delightful fish!Special Features:
- Good sushi nut not really specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014For the price I've had better, but it's still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disapointmenttamestheynaDined on 10/4/2014Neither food or service was as good as previous times we have been
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014excellent cold saki, very good sashimi, the hot fish entre not very good I.
- A great dinning experienceLaurieDined on 9/24/2014Fantastic quality food served in a very artistic manner, for a wonderful experience request to be seated on the bar and go for the chef's menu. Very special. Took my husband for his birthday and he loved the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but I wanted moreMbsbVIPDined on 9/22/2014Everything was superb, especially, frankly, atmosphere and service. We had Chef's omakase tasting and everything was excellent but nothing was transcendent. Quality was faultless, but nothing made me close my eyes. It felt, even though it was "omakase," like it was set and pre-planned. Maybe what I felt it lacked was adventurousness. Perhaps it was because we sat at a table and not sushi bar (but, as a party of more than 2, we wanted to be able to speak with each other). Overall I have had sushi and sashimi as good for less money and more stunning for the same or more money. But atmosphere was a step up; service was great, and my guest said it was the best Japanese of his life. But I've had better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Amazing sushi with a very reasonable price point! Go for the omakase and make sure to call for a seat at the sushi bar. Watching the chefs work is part of the experience. We did the sushi omakase and added a special so it was $100 per person. The sake list is superb and quite reasonable. Altogether still not cheap but given that the quality is one of the best in the city this is a very good option for a fancy sushi dinner. The service is also incredible and they really pay attention to the details.Special Features:
- DisappointingPatrickworkmanDined on 9/2/2014I have no idea how this place received a Michellin star. All of the dishes from the omakase menu were uninspired. If you're in love with overpriced food from 2001, this is the place for you.
- Top 5 Sushi in NYCTribecaFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Amazing quality and preparation. It is the best quality fish in NYC and is a top 5 restaurant in NYC - comparable to some of the best sushi restaurants in Tokyo.Special Features:
- Great Food, Slow ServicethoughtforfoodDined on 8/21/2014The food did not disappoint, but the service was shockingly bad. We waited more than 15 minutes for someone to take our drink order. Then we waited another 20 minutes for our drinks, and then we sat for 30 minutes before some took our order. The service was incredibly slow. It would have made sense if the place was busy, but there were only 5 or so other tables. I felt terrible for an Italian couple seated next to us. They were completely ignored for 30 minutes. We started timing everything just because it was so outrageous.Special Features:
- omakase all the wayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2014sit at the sushi bar and opt for the sushi omakase and take the live shrimp option. the next time i go i'll pass on the octopus and the clam sushi since those were a bit tough. the live shrimp is taken apart and the head deep fried and the rest turned into sushi. it was amazing. the only thing i would mention is that the sushi rice was a touch harder than it should be. the uni cup was fantastic, best use of uni i've ever had. service at the sushi bar was amazing. i'll be going back.Special Features:
- As good as it getsMULLYNYCDined on 7/26/2014Wow. Possibly the best sushi experience in NYC. Great place for a date or romantic evening. When I say that everything we had was over the top delicious, I mean it. INCREDIBLESpecial Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Huge disappointment. This place has gone downhill in the last few years, I'm sad to say. The rolls are bland and unoriginal. The drinks mediocre at best. Not sure why the servers have such attitude, because there were many empty tables and nothing to be arrogant about.
- Simply YummySushiLuvDined on 7/18/2014Excellent sushi. Great atmosphere. Easy access location (take Astor Place subway) and efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fresh fishSushiDined on 7/14/2014Wife's b-day dinner and place did not disappoint, Everyone was attentive and food was great! will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointmentGrimerDined on 7/14/2014I had Omakase sushi at a table. It was a little disappointment. I can get much better sushi with that price at somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!Nonfoodie132Dined on 7/7/2014My sisters and I were all in town together and decided to dine at Jewel Bako. We enjoyed a most delicious meal in a unique and beautiful dining room and received exceptional service. We chose omekase and we're not disappointed. Fantastic!Special Features:
- The following 78 reviews are from the Jewel Bako reviews archive.
- Loud and obnoxiousJonSVIPDined on 6/18/2014The food was nothing special. I have had sushi at other places in Manhattan that would put this place to shame, plus the service was like pulling teeth. We arrived at 8 and were seated immediately, but I didn't have a drink in front of me until after 8:30. I felt like we were being ignored by the wait staff. I most likely will not go back since there is a plethora of sushi restaurants in Manhattan.
- Superior East Side SushiSBL1002VIPDined on 6/18/2014Jewel Bako is an outstanding Japanese establishment in the East Village. Great place for dinner if you are staying at the Bowery Hotel. Don't miss out on the mushrooms steamed in parchment with truffle oil. Highest quality fish and top shelf service to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 20puppies20puppiesVIPDined on 6/4/2014Thr combination of intriguing inviting design( feng shui?) plus best sushi in a while with incredible caroaccio trio appetizer makes this my fave go-to for snappy sushiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi I'm Aware OfteamasparagusDined on 5/31/2014Apparently they fly their fish in from Japan every day, which explains the noteworthy dinner I had here. Without exception the food was delicious. Also, the dessert...Special Features:
- Pricey but goodjuliliDined on 5/31/2014The food was pricey but everything we ordered was good. The uni cup was delicious! The food was really fresh which was probably why it took a while to get our food. I didn't mind the wait though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barracuda!CKRobDined on 5/31/2014I lived next to Jewel Bako for almost 5 years and never once noticed it. I recently moved uptown and was watching a re-run of one of my fav shows, Bizarre Foods w/ Andrew Zimmern on the travel channel. He paid a visit here and raved about it. I always love trying exotic foods that I haven't eaten before and the look on his face coupled with the chef Yoshi's preparation of the daily fresh caught sushi...I was sold! I booked a res and was there within a week. Service is outstanding and personable and the sushi is mouth melting/watering. Highly recommend the barracuda. Will be back soon, undoubtedly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date placeluv2eatfoodDined on 5/23/2014I took a date here and she loved it. That says it all.Special Features:
- 5 stars!tablefortwoDined on 5/14/2014Still salivating over the trio of tartares - one of the best Japanese dishes I've ever had. My boyfriend and I shared the sushi roll omakase, which was phenomenal and the perfect amount of food in combination with our amazing appetizer and left a little room for the delicious dessert. The green tea flavor in the tiramisu was a pleasant twist and the plum dessert wine was the perfect pairing. Great service, great ambience. Jewel Bako is definitely at the top of our list of sushi places in the city. Will be back many, many times :)Special Features:
- VarietyGoodFishDined on 5/10/2014The fish and variety in menu was great. The presentation and quality was worth the small ambience. If you want a good night out, local eccletic environment andgood fish definitely go to Jewel BakoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small spotOxfordVIPDined on 5/2/2014We've been eyeing Jewel Bakp for quite some time now. We finally decided to book a table, and it was worth the wait! Great, fresh sushi, including the best spicy tuna roll I've ever tasted and just a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi okLuvDateAndDinnerDined on 5/1/2014The place is small with simple but noticeable design idea, but feels like it needs renovation. The menu is expensive for this restaurant comparing to other upscale sushi places. Small table wouldn’t feet more than 3 plates, so if you like to eat there will be no place to put plates, and we got the second table attached to put some extra dishes. One thing I didn’t like is there was no soy sauce on the tables, very unusual for sushi restaurant! Waiter brings it for you at request and fills your small tray only and takes the bottle back. I ended up eating sushi without soy sauce. For this reason I will not be back after paying $200 for two and food didn’t feel any special.Special Features:
- Just OKJustOKVIPDined on 5/1/2014Used to be better several years ago. The food and experience was more special, my last meal was average and probably a little overpriced for average.
- Not a Michelin Quality ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/21/2014For a Michelin star rated restaurant I was expecting a phenomenal high-end dining experience. What I got was average (at best) food and impersonal service. Our waiter maybe spoke two words to us the entire time. The dressing on the seaweed salad tasted like paste, not even close to the sesame vinaigrette described on the menu. We also ordered the assortment of sushi plate and when the waiter put the plates down he walked away without even telling us which fish was which - it was would have been nice for the waiter to take 1 min to go over the dish. The dish also came with a "chef's special roll" which was just a plain salmon roll that literally make me gag. Just not worth the $200+ - for the same $, go to Kyo Ya around the corner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014We did the sushi omakase. It was good but of the other omakases I've had in the city, I didn't find the one at Jewel Bako to be anything special. Lots of fun/different sake options here though! Overall- happy to have tried it, but probably won't be back anytime soon with all the options in the city.Special Features:
- Traditional sushi done rightDineswithFriendsDined on 4/4/2014Both times I've been to Jewel Bako, the liveliness of the restaurant provides a beautiful backdrop to the dining experience-- the sensibility and aesthetics of the well-constructed atmosphere make a perfect pairing with the sensory experience of eating the sushi-- well designed and deceptively simplistic. Omakase at the bar is the way to go-- king salmon, scallop, sweet shrimp, barracuda and the medium fatty tuna are the must-orders! Staff is super attentive.Special Features:
- Always amazingJasonRDined on 4/2/2014If you love sushi - this is the place. Everything is incredibly fresh, presentation is flawless and service is impeccable. This will become your go-to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Jewel BakoScaryChoeVIPDined on 3/31/2014JB was outstanding as always! Lovely presentation of the Omokase sushi & sashimi platters. Each piece of exotic fish was so fresh, melted in our mouths. Serving size of each piece was portioned perfectly vs being cut too large which can detract from flavor. The amuse bouche of bluefin tuna on crispy rice was a delectable contrast of the crunchiness of the perfectly flavored rice coupled with the sublime and velvety texture of the tuna. Complimentary dessert of an tea ice cream sandwich served between 2 chocolate shortbread cookies dusted with match powder & chocolate-covered almonds was a perfectly delicate end to a 4-star rated dining experience. Will continue to recommend to all my friends & can't wait to return as JB never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine sushi and sakeDorsiaDined on 3/22/2014Order a bottle of the "Demon Slayer" sake regardless of the price - it is the absolute best. Would highly recommend the trio of tartare appetizer. Overall, deliciously fresh fish and a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the expenseToryVIPDined on 3/21/2014Surprised this kept showing up on "best of" lists. Fish was fresh but server had no idea what she was serving. I asked about an accompaniment on one dish, she said scallions & pickled carrot. It was chives & shaved radish. If you don't know the answer to a diner's question, say so & ask the kitchen. It's a turnoff to make something up. Appetizer never arrived. We asked after the arrival of the main dish & they had forgotten it. "Well, do you still want it?" We were asked. No apology. Omakase came all at once. We basically paid $65 for sushi deluxe. Also, they don't give enough soy sauce (it's planned that way so the diner doesn't drown the fish in it - but the servers there are not attentive enough to know when it's time to provide more.
- Amazing!!LH8888Dined on 3/18/2014Jewel Bako: incredible food and service - a delight all round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good-but not as great as hopedDanielleP143VIPDined on 3/13/2014I had been SO excited to try Jewel Bako-had been on my "Restaurant List" for years-but was rather disappointed overall....but I like to lead with positives...soooo: -BEAUTIFUL space. Felt like you were on a cruise ship or some sort of private boat. Something really cool about the minimalistic but well decorated space. Something really special about it. -Great service. And love the amuse bouche to start (we had tuna on crunchy rice) So the not so good... -The seaweed salad was SO salty..hard to eat -Our "SALMON HOBA MISOYAKI - KING SALMON STEAMED WITH THREE TYPES OF MISO, HOBA LEAF AND SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS" came out WAY overcooked-like salmon jerky...so much so that I sent it back -Our sashimi was good, but nothing special....
- DeliciousFoodiefamilyDined on 3/12/2014What a lovely spot. The food was wonderful. The sushi was fresh and delicious. Warm and thoughtful service. Music playing at a decent level and ver comfortable, pretty place. Looking forward to more meals there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what it used to beNicoDined on 3/11/2014unfortunately the service was inattentive and overall the restaurant is not the high caliber fine dining venue it had long been. this was disappointing as the high prices are not compatible to the experience. while the food was good, it was not as delicately prepared as in the past. so sad as this was a neighborhood and city gem. ;-(