Jean Claude 2
1343 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Jean Claude 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jeanclaudenyc.com/
- Phone: 2122493400
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch/Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Jean Claude 2
"We have proudly served fine French cuisine to our SOHO neighborhood for over 20 years! We are excited about our new location in the Upper East Side". Bon Appétit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jean Claude 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (18)romantic (15)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (9)late-night find (6)special occasion (4)good for groups (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointedHate2cookVIPDined on 10/14/2014Have eaten lunch here many times and while not gourmet, have always found it to be good. This was the first time I went for dinner. We were all disappointed in our meal, the roast chicken. It was bland, and the accompanying side overlooked. As the evening was warm, the front windows and door were open to the street, and the street noise made conversation near impossible. While this is a good neighborhood restaurant for lunch or brunch, I wouldn't recommend for dinner.
- Great Find!PandoraVIPDined on 10/11/2014Jean Claude 2 has become a new favorite. The food was delicious!! We ordered the Skate which was fabulous, hanger steak also great, along with a beat salad and side of spinach. Everything was very flavorful and tasty. Do not leave without ordering the bread pudding. It's not somthing we would have ever normally ordered but I read several other favorable reviews and they were no exaggeration. The prices were reasonable given the quality of the food. The portions were large. The service was fantastic. The acoustics were great! We were seated next to a large birthday party yet the volume in the room remained pleasant to dine in. We will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 10/10/2014we have eaten here two nights in a row, we enjoy it so much! the tilapia special was outstanding!!Special Features:
- As good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014Great high-quality French food at a relative bargain. Food as good as the original downtown. I gave ambiance a 4 because the background music was terrible, it's otherwise a 5. Great service, great food, and wine list is well-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely serviceEaterVIPDined on 9/29/2014We were greeted promptly and taken care of well throughout the evening. Our bus man was just terrific. The food was just ok as was the bread. The place needs to put on the a/c when it is warm. Dunk ordered medium rare came out rare and not hot enough. The service, however, made the evening enjoyable.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Great food ,very friendly service,very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homey, Dependable, TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Another lovely evening, good meal, nicely priced/value wine and comfortable, professional, friendly service. Love this place. We bring out-of-town guests who want to sample a true neighborhood place (the neighborhood here could equally be the Marais in Paris!).Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect!annetteVIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything about Jean Claude 2 is exceptional. Very friendly services, pleasant decor, but most especially, the outstanding food! Not to be missed. Try it once and you will be hooked! We will return as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Outstanding food,very nice service.really like this place a lotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 9/5/2014Despite the fact that we come here weekly, I am always amazed by how great the food is!! The lamb loin special is exceptional!Special Features:
- Not goodcriticaldinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We went for lunch after reading good reviews. We ordered Onion Soup and Gazpacho. The onion soup was good while the gazpacho tasted like a can of tomato puree. On line the menu said the onion soup was $8 but in the restaurant it is $10. My wife ordered eggs benedict, the English muffin was undercooked and she was served the hard end of the ham which should have been thrown out. I ordered the steak sandwich which consisted of small pieces of meat and was certainly not worth $17 as I recall. Overall it was way overpriced for a sub standard lunch. In fairness we chose not to complain which was our fault. The French fries were great.
- ExcellentNoahDined on 9/1/2014Excellent food and service.very reasonable.few places like this one left in the cotySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood place2LBdiningDined on 8/15/2014This was our 2nd visit to JC2. Everything was very good again. We all had steaks and they were perfectly prepared. Very nice wait staff. We totally recommend!Special Features:
- A very pleasant lunch...AlixDined on 8/15/2014My brother, who lives in a different part of town, occasionally meets me at Jean Claude for a long, conversational meal. This restaurant is great for enjoying very good food, accommodating service, and conversation that allows each person to hear the other(s) well, very important to me and a major part of my restaurant choice along with food, service, and ambience. Having enjoyed delicious meals here with both my husband and my brother, I will be back with them and with others who enjoy real French food in a bistro setting. My brother has relished both a steak aux pommes frites and an omelet; my husband and I find the salmon really tasty. We always have a delightful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this neighborhood spotlad1golferDined on 8/12/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. The owner is always there and is gracious and friendly. The food is always delicious. Everyone I take there loves it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a quaint restaurant in the Upper East Side. It is a small space on busy Second Avenue. It has a great ambiance. We were able to enjoy a great dinner right off the bustle of the street. This French motif restaurant had very good food and a reasonably priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 8/8/2014We wouldn't be here at least once a week if the food and service wasn't consistently excellent. LOVED the lamb loin special!Special Features:
- PIPMDVIPDined on 7/30/2014Lovely food, simply prepared. Not a fancy restaurant. Fun to go to a low keyed neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeNoahDined on 7/21/2014I love this restaurant.wonderfull food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceplaceDined on 7/20/2014Very personable service. Delicious gazpacho and tarte tatin.Special Features:
- Lovely little spotcatlaw71Dined on 7/19/2014Nicely prepared French bistro food in a pleasant setting and with good service; I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceLuvgdfdDined on 7/18/2014As a local restaurant,a great place for French food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/17/2014Not often you find such a special place like Jean-Claude. Small,intimate great choices on the menu, want to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jean claudeveraVIPDined on 7/16/2014They never change the menu has been the same since it opened. That makes it difficult to go there to oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 7/6/2014We eat at Jean Claude frequently, but I am always surprised by how good the food is. The bouillabase special is excellent, as is the tilapia special!Special Features:
- Quiet French gemcrisVIPDined on 6/30/2014After going by several times we finally made it last week and we are so glad we did. Jean Claude 2 is small with a lovely brick wall and a most pleasant atmosphere. We ordered the special soup of the day, gazpacho which turned out to be excellent, very fresh flavor. For our main courses the escargot was superb and the mussels were very good. The service was friendly without being overbearing. We ordered wine by the glass and we were pleased with our selection. Reasonably priced we will certainly go back.Special Features:
- It Gets better and betterNoahDined on 6/27/2014We have been fans of jean Claude since it opened.it has always been outstanding but I believe it has even gotten better in the last year and since the owner is always there.i had the skate fish and it was the best i ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 6/25/2014I have been dreaming about bouillabaisse all day, and providentially, it was a special this night! And Jean Claude mades a wonderful version - the fish is always perfectly cooked, and the broth is flavorful....my dream came true!Special Features:
- The following 96 reviews are from the Jean Claude 2 reviews archive.
- Wonderful bistro foodBeachcomberVIPDined on 6/23/2014Food was delicious and service excellent. Small but good wine list. A great neighborhood restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2014Food was well prepared and choices were varied. Service was attentive. We enjoyed a pleasant meal and will return.Special Features:
- Monica10021Dined on 6/19/2014Lovely nice French food, lovely atmosphere, good pricesSpecial Features:
- love itCather123VIPDined on 6/18/2014Adorable bistro with really good food. The skate was terrific, and unusual in a balsamic sauce. Large portion, served with couscous. Reasonable prices and good selection. Wish I lived closer, but I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014I always enjoy everything at this little neighborhood gem.fopd is consistently very good.and service very pleasant .Special Features:
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 6/4/2014and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Jean Claude had a special of tilapia served atop leeks and artichokes...superb!!Special Features:
- Very friendly and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014Love this place always consistent good food and very friendly dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joyboyVIPDined on 6/1/2014Lovely! We had a group of eight and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. Mussels & pomme frites were a particular highlight. Save room for chocolate mousse & apple tartine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingReboDined on 6/1/2014Food is very mediocre and disappointing. Nice spot, coud be terrific bistro, but the food's just not very good.
- Great neighborhood find!aschDined on 5/29/2014Food is consistantly great...service is attentive. All over a great placeSpecial Features:
- good food & good valueL101Dined on 5/23/2014Very good food, nicely prepared, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- brasserie find!!!foodiefindsVIPDined on 5/19/2014Incredible grilled skate with a surprising balsamic viniagrette reduction and the roast beet salad was sublime...gazpacho was resfreshing and the staff could not be more accomodating!!! We'll be returning for the mussel next!!!Special Features: