Jean Claude 2
1343 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Jean Claude 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jeanclaudenyc.com/
- Phone: 2122493400
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch/Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Jean Claude 2
"We have proudly served fine French cuisine to our SOHO neighborhood for over 20 years! We are excited about our new location in the Upper East Side". Bon Appétit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jean Claude 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)romantic (18)fit for foodies (16)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great neighborhood place2LBdiningDined on 8/15/2014This was our 2nd visit to JC2. Everything was very good again. We all had steaks and they were perfectly prepared. Very nice wait staff. We totally recommend!Special Features:
- A very pleasant lunch...AlixDined on 8/15/2014My brother, who lives in a different part of town, occasionally meets me at Jean Claude for a long, conversational meal. This restaurant is great for enjoying very good food, accommodating service, and conversation that allows each person to hear the other(s) well, very important to me and a major part of my restaurant choice along with food, service, and ambience. Having enjoyed delicious meals here with both my husband and my brother, I will be back with them and with others who enjoy real French food in a bistro setting. My brother has relished both a steak aux pommes frites and an omelet; my husband and I find the salmon really tasty. We always have a delightful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this neighborhood spotlad1golferDined on 8/12/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. The owner is always there and is gracious and friendly. The food is always delicious. Everyone I take there loves it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a quaint restaurant in the Upper East Side. It is a small space on busy Second Avenue. It has a great ambiance. We were able to enjoy a great dinner right off the bustle of the street. This French motif restaurant had very good food and a reasonably priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 8/8/2014We wouldn't be here at least once a week if the food and service wasn't consistently excellent. LOVED the lamb loin special!Special Features:
- PIPMDVIPDined on 7/30/2014Lovely food, simply prepared. Not a fancy restaurant. Fun to go to a low keyed neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeNoahDined on 7/21/2014I love this restaurant.wonderfull food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceplaceDined on 7/20/2014Very personable service. Delicious gazpacho and tarte tatin.Special Features:
- Lovely little spotcatlaw71Dined on 7/19/2014Nicely prepared French bistro food in a pleasant setting and with good service; I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceLuvgdfdDined on 7/18/2014As a local restaurant,a great place for French food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/17/2014Not often you find such a special place like Jean-Claude. Small,intimate great choices on the menu, want to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jean claudeveraVIPDined on 7/16/2014They never change the menu has been the same since it opened. That makes it difficult to go there to oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 7/6/2014We eat at Jean Claude frequently, but I am always surprised by how good the food is. The bouillabase special is excellent, as is the tilapia special!Special Features:
- Quiet French gemcrisVIPDined on 6/30/2014After going by several times we finally made it last week and we are so glad we did. Jean Claude 2 is small with a lovely brick wall and a most pleasant atmosphere. We ordered the special soup of the day, gazpacho which turned out to be excellent, very fresh flavor. For our main courses the escargot was superb and the mussels were very good. The service was friendly without being overbearing. We ordered wine by the glass and we were pleased with our selection. Reasonably priced we will certainly go back.Special Features:
- It Gets better and betterNoahDined on 6/27/2014We have been fans of jean Claude since it opened.it has always been outstanding but I believe it has even gotten better in the last year and since the owner is always there.i had the skate fish and it was the best i ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 6/25/2014I have been dreaming about bouillabaisse all day, and providentially, it was a special this night! And Jean Claude mades a wonderful version - the fish is always perfectly cooked, and the broth is flavorful....my dream came true!Special Features:
- Wonderful bistro foodBeachcomberVIPDined on 6/23/2014Food was delicious and service excellent. Small but good wine list. A great neighborhood restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2014Food was well prepared and choices were varied. Service was attentive. We enjoyed a pleasant meal and will return.Special Features:
- Monica10021Dined on 6/19/2014Lovely nice French food, lovely atmosphere, good pricesSpecial Features:
- love itCather123VIPDined on 6/18/2014Adorable bistro with really good food. The skate was terrific, and unusual in a balsamic sauce. Large portion, served with couscous. Reasonable prices and good selection. Wish I lived closer, but I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014I always enjoy everything at this little neighborhood gem.fopd is consistently very good.and service very pleasant .Special Features:
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 6/4/2014and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Jean Claude had a special of tilapia served atop leeks and artichokes...superb!!Special Features:
- Very friendly and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014Love this place always consistent good food and very friendly dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joyboyVIPDined on 6/1/2014Lovely! We had a group of eight and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. Mussels & pomme frites were a particular highlight. Save room for chocolate mousse & apple tartine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingReboDined on 6/1/2014Food is very mediocre and disappointing. Nice spot, coud be terrific bistro, but the food's just not very good.
- Great neighborhood find!aschDined on 5/29/2014Food is consistantly great...service is attentive. All over a great placeSpecial Features:
- good food & good valueL101Dined on 5/23/2014Very good food, nicely prepared, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- brasserie find!!!foodiefindsDined on 5/19/2014Incredible grilled skate with a surprising balsamic viniagrette reduction and the roast beet salad was sublime...gazpacho was resfreshing and the staff could not be more accomodating!!! We'll be returning for the mussel next!!!Special Features:
- The following 84 reviews are from the Jean Claude 2 reviews archive.
- consistently goodlovetoeatDined on 5/4/2014We love this french bistro with it's pleasant athmosphere and genuine food which is varied and appropriate for all occasions, dinner or brunch, lunch. Their skate is outstanding as is the steak aux poivre and the classic creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- potsDined on 5/3/2014a throwback to my paris days great atmosphere and congenial hostSpecial Features:
- Lovely spot in every waycreamcheeseDined on 5/2/2014Loved it as much as the first time we went. The food is fabulous and prices are good. Had the cod and loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerFilmnightDined on 5/1/2014Intimate space with a select menu of classic French dishes. Pleasant staff, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great food and great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014Awesome food and incredible prices.the service impeccable and very friendly .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobbyDined on 4/26/2014Great food--service but VERY loud and uncomfortable--but will definitely return-Special Features:
- An Authentic French BistroAlixDined on 4/24/2014Having eaten here twice, we can say this restaurant reminds us of casual restaurants in a couple of our favorite sections of Paris. It's a good, basic restaurant. The lunch portions were less plentiful than the dinner portions, and the thinner salmon was cooked more than I had requested. Nevertheless dinner with my husband (skate and salmon), when we were walking by, and lunch with my brother (steak aux pommes frites and salmon) was tasty and enjoyable. We'll all return for a good, relaxed meal with decent wines. [We also reserved for lunch March 20 BUT did NOT receive a confirmation email from the restaurant, canceled by 'phone (medical emergency), YET regrettably labeled "no show" anyway because of a name mismatch.]Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014My favorite place in the neighborhood Glad they opens around from my house.good food good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Lunch-BrunchTryingNewPlacesDined on 4/20/2014The food was good but I was disappointed that the restaurant didn't offer a special menu for Easter brunch, just their regular lunch menu, which was fairly limited. The restaurant was practically empty, which tells you something, I think. We were visiting NYC and treating our son and girlfriend and so it was a special event for us. I felt that the service was only fair. Nothing terribly wrong; it just seemed that they didn't really care very much. And considering that they didn't have many patrons at 1:00 pm on Easter Sunday, I would have expected just a bit more attention. I thought that they could have been quite good if they had only put in a little more effort.Special Features:
- The way we were!CityCatnycVIPDined on 4/19/2014This is one of those old fashioned gems. the restaurant is delightfully small. The crowd is older and the noise level reflects that. There were no children ruining the ambiance when we were there. The food is classic French bistro. There are no pretentions and the food is cooked to perfection. The prices are reasonable. The onion soup was beefy, the crouton crisp and the cheese not too stringy and best of all not too salty like most restaurants make it. The duck breast was cooked medium rare and very tender. The pork dijonaise was juicy and well balance. It actually tasted like pork. The option of getting 1/2 liters of wine is perfect when you want a little more than one glass, but everyone is drinking something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2014Went here for the first time -- I live in the neighborhood. Food and service were great. I will return!Special Features:
- Great food great valu great serviceStuartVIPDined on 4/18/2014Just looking for a decent meal before a performance on 74th between 1st and 2nd and this lovely neighborhood french restaurant was perfect. Terrific North African calamari in a coriander vinaigrette sauce, perfect hangar steak, lovely creme brulee, terrific service from the moment we walked inSpecial Features: