Jean Claude 2
1343 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Jean Claude 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jeanclaudenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 249-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch/Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Jean Claude 2
"We have proudly served fine French cuisine to our SOHO neighborhood for over 20 years! We are excited about our new location in the Upper East Side". Bon Appétit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jean Claude 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)great for lunch (22)fit for foodies (20)romantic (18)great for brunch (10)late-night find (5)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great food, adroit serviceDeb70Dined on 11/22/2014I visit Jean Claude frequently, The food is wonderful, and on Saturday nights the service HAS to be adroit, because the tables are so close together and the aisle is so narrow. Happily, the waiters not only adroit, but hearteningly, smilingly welcoming to regulars. My only lament is something that probably can't be remedied . . . the distractingly high noise level on a crowded night. If some baffling can be done, DO PLEASE BAFFLE! Much as I love the food and service, the grating noise level keeps me away at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusieVIPDined on 11/18/2014This cozy French restaurant is a perfect place for a relaxed lunch with friends featuring delicious classic French food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Even though the place is small we had no probably getting seated. They gave us some strong drinks for brunch and were very friendly and accommodating. Definitely a place to go if you want to take your time, don't go here if your on a tight schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and comfortable with great foodBarbaraVIPDined on 11/12/2014One of my favorite neighborhood placed, I always feel very welcome and comfortable at Jean Claude 2.The food and wine are terrific and it is quiet enough that you can have a conversation.Special Features:
- AMAZING!annetteVIPDined on 11/8/2014AMAZING is the word for Jean Claude 2! Food is superb!!! If I lived in the area I would be there at least twice a week. I would highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- misstheclassicsVIPDined on 11/7/2014Would recommend as "adequate and reasonably priced if one wants to have leisurely meal without feeling pressured to turn over the table. Service was very laid back (which was fine for our group of 6) and adequate although long time for first course and between courses in this rather small restaurant. Staff friendly and -- a good point -- we did not get bill until we asked for it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but deafeningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/7/2014The food was quite good. I really enjoyed the cod and my friends enjoyed the lamb special and the duck. The steak frites was deemed OK, but I am not sure that steak frites is ever more than that. The tarte tatin was not outstanding and did not have the large caramelized apple chunks characteristic of this tarte. The worst part of it was how deafening it was. We eventually gave up on trying to have a four way discussion and instead tried to just communicate with the person seated opposite. I am waiting for open table to have a rating that indicates whether a restaurant is fit for civilized conversation.
- Excellent bistroDuravelDined on 11/4/2014A foodwise friend said it best one night back in the original downtown Jean Claude. Looking around the place, she said, "Most of the people here don't realize how good this food is." Still true about Jean Claude II. The food's good, it's friendly, noise is at a low murmur. Simple menu and a short wine list, both well thought out. If you've grown out of trendy and are ready for solid traditional. This restaurant is for you.Special Features:
- Nice Lunch Spotsrk49VIPDined on 10/26/2014Nice decor, french bistro feel. Nicoise salads were very good. Didn't quite understand the spanish music playing. Would have preferred french music for the mood. Don't get it.
- Classic FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I enjoyed our meal. The appetizers and entrees we enjoyed we perfect sized portions and the epitome of classic French cuisine without the uncomfortable feeling one gets from the more upscale French restaurants. The staff was friendly and attentive. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the Bordeaux by the glass. Although the desserts were tasty, they were not enjoyed as much as the entrees and appetizers. We had the bread pudding (which had gotten rave reviews on Yelp) and the chocolate mousse.Special Features:
- Perfect placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Great food and service, my favorite restaurant in the neighborhood.always pleasant to be thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHate2cookVIPDined on 10/14/2014Have eaten lunch here many times and while not gourmet, have always found it to be good. This was the first time I went for dinner. We were all disappointed in our meal, the roast chicken. It was bland, and the accompanying side overlooked. As the evening was warm, the front windows and door were open to the street, and the street noise made conversation near impossible. While this is a good neighborhood restaurant for lunch or brunch, I wouldn't recommend for dinner.
- Great Find!PandoraVIPDined on 10/11/2014Jean Claude 2 has become a new favorite. The food was delicious!! We ordered the Skate which was fabulous, hanger steak also great, along with a beat salad and side of spinach. Everything was very flavorful and tasty. Do not leave without ordering the bread pudding. It's not somthing we would have ever normally ordered but I read several other favorable reviews and they were no exaggeration. The prices were reasonable given the quality of the food. The portions were large. The service was fantastic. The acoustics were great! We were seated next to a large birthday party yet the volume in the room remained pleasant to dine in. We will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 10/10/2014we have eaten here two nights in a row, we enjoy it so much! the tilapia special was outstanding!!Special Features:
- As good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014Great high-quality French food at a relative bargain. Food as good as the original downtown. I gave ambiance a 4 because the background music was terrible, it's otherwise a 5. Great service, great food, and wine list is well-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely serviceEaterVIPDined on 9/29/2014We were greeted promptly and taken care of well throughout the evening. Our bus man was just terrific. The food was just ok as was the bread. The place needs to put on the a/c when it is warm. Dunk ordered medium rare came out rare and not hot enough. The service, however, made the evening enjoyable.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Great food ,very friendly service,very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homey, Dependable, TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Another lovely evening, good meal, nicely priced/value wine and comfortable, professional, friendly service. Love this place. We bring out-of-town guests who want to sample a true neighborhood place (the neighborhood here could equally be the Marais in Paris!).Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect!annetteVIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything about Jean Claude 2 is exceptional. Very friendly services, pleasant decor, but most especially, the outstanding food! Not to be missed. Try it once and you will be hooked! We will return as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Outstanding food,very nice service.really like this place a lotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 9/5/2014Despite the fact that we come here weekly, I am always amazed by how great the food is!! The lamb loin special is exceptional!Special Features:
- Not goodcriticaldinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We went for lunch after reading good reviews. We ordered Onion Soup and Gazpacho. The onion soup was good while the gazpacho tasted like a can of tomato puree. On line the menu said the onion soup was $8 but in the restaurant it is $10. My wife ordered eggs benedict, the English muffin was undercooked and she was served the hard end of the ham which should have been thrown out. I ordered the steak sandwich which consisted of small pieces of meat and was certainly not worth $17 as I recall. Overall it was way overpriced for a sub standard lunch. In fairness we chose not to complain which was our fault. The French fries were great.
- ExcellentNoahDined on 9/1/2014Excellent food and service.very reasonable.few places like this one left in the cotySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood place2LBdiningDined on 8/15/2014This was our 2nd visit to JC2. Everything was very good again. We all had steaks and they were perfectly prepared. Very nice wait staff. We totally recommend!Special Features:
- A very pleasant lunch...AlixDined on 8/15/2014My brother, who lives in a different part of town, occasionally meets me at Jean Claude for a long, conversational meal. This restaurant is great for enjoying very good food, accommodating service, and conversation that allows each person to hear the other(s) well, very important to me and a major part of my restaurant choice along with food, service, and ambience. Having enjoyed delicious meals here with both my husband and my brother, I will be back with them and with others who enjoy real French food in a bistro setting. My brother has relished both a steak aux pommes frites and an omelet; my husband and I find the salmon really tasty. We always have a delightful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this neighborhood spotlad1golferDined on 8/12/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. The owner is always there and is gracious and friendly. The food is always delicious. Everyone I take there loves it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a quaint restaurant in the Upper East Side. It is a small space on busy Second Avenue. It has a great ambiance. We were able to enjoy a great dinner right off the bustle of the street. This French motif restaurant had very good food and a reasonably priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 8/8/2014We wouldn't be here at least once a week if the food and service wasn't consistently excellent. LOVED the lamb loin special!Special Features:
- The following 107 reviews are from the Jean Claude 2 reviews archive.
- PIPMDVIPDined on 7/30/2014Lovely food, simply prepared. Not a fancy restaurant. Fun to go to a low keyed neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeNoahDined on 7/21/2014I love this restaurant.wonderfull food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceplaceDined on 7/20/2014Very personable service. Delicious gazpacho and tarte tatin.Special Features:
- Lovely little spotcatlaw71Dined on 7/19/2014Nicely prepared French bistro food in a pleasant setting and with good service; I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceLuvgdfdDined on 7/18/2014As a local restaurant,a great place for French food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/17/2014Not often you find such a special place like Jean-Claude. Small,intimate great choices on the menu, want to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jean claudeveraVIPDined on 7/16/2014They never change the menu has been the same since it opened. That makes it difficult to go there to oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 7/6/2014We eat at Jean Claude frequently, but I am always surprised by how good the food is. The bouillabase special is excellent, as is the tilapia special!Special Features:
- Quiet French gemcrisVIPDined on 6/30/2014After going by several times we finally made it last week and we are so glad we did. Jean Claude 2 is small with a lovely brick wall and a most pleasant atmosphere. We ordered the special soup of the day, gazpacho which turned out to be excellent, very fresh flavor. For our main courses the escargot was superb and the mussels were very good. The service was friendly without being overbearing. We ordered wine by the glass and we were pleased with our selection. Reasonably priced we will certainly go back.Special Features:
- It Gets better and betterNoahDined on 6/27/2014We have been fans of jean Claude since it opened.it has always been outstanding but I believe it has even gotten better in the last year and since the owner is always there.i had the skate fish and it was the best i ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 6/25/2014I have been dreaming about bouillabaisse all day, and providentially, it was a special this night! And Jean Claude mades a wonderful version - the fish is always perfectly cooked, and the broth is flavorful....my dream came true!Special Features:
- Wonderful bistro foodBeachcomberVIPDined on 6/23/2014Food was delicious and service excellent. Small but good wine list. A great neighborhood restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.