301 Washington Ave. North
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jdhoyts.com/
- Phone: 6123381560
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner; Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday Breakfast/Lunch 10:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday Brunch 10:00am - 2:00pm, Now open at 10:00am on all Twins Day Games.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Barbecue, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Micah Rees
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from JD Hoyt's
J.D. Hoyt's is a roadhouse, located in the booming warehouse district of old Minneapolis. A cozy spot with an extensive menu, full bar and a wine list of extraordinary value. The featured entrees are prepared on their custom designed charcoal grill. This giant grill sears your order to juicy perfection. JD Hoyt's is proud to serve large portions of food you'll crave. The favorite dining spot of athletic organization, professional and collegiate, male and female. Open seven nights a week, with Sunday Brunch 10a.m.-2p.m. and now open Saturday mornings 10a.m.-2p.m. & All Twins day games 10a.m.-2p.m. Locally owned, Nationally known. Best staff in the city. Check out the "New" patio, just added for your enjoyment. Complimentary Valet parking Tuesday - Saturday nights(Limited Valet parking on Event Days)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
JD Hoyt's reviews from OpenTable diners
- Simply put, the food was excellentLightSliderDined on 2/25/2012Simply put, the food was excellent and a great value. The pork chops are tasty and huge! Their crab cakes are simply delicious. Steaks were very good, but I think cooked one level below what you order. So if you want medium, order medium well. Veggies were well done and the wine list was acceptable. Free valet parking is great, but the service was a bit slow.Special Features:
- I went here for my sistersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/24/2012I went here for my sisters B-day. We ordered a bottle of Dom Perignon for the special occasion. It was as smooth as velvet. I ordered the single lobster tail and she ordered the filet mignon steak. For sides we had garlic mashed potatoes and their garlic bread. My lobster was the best lobster I've ever had. Perfectly cooked! Her steak was decent but not as good as Manny's. The ambiance is supper clubby. I think it could use an update while still keeping the supper club feel but it was as outdated looking as I expected. For dessert we got a complimentary banana split that was delicious. We had an awesome birthday experience!Special Features:
- Visiting from out of town,Bx2BostonVIPDined on 2/22/2012Visiting from out of town, I asked a friend who lived in Minneapolis area for some time for a good restaurant. His first suggestion was JD Hoyt's for its local flair. We were not disappointed. It has all the makings of an excellent steakhouse, but it is so much more. The menu is extensive and has enough variety. I had the combo Cajun Pork Chops and Ribs...and cleaned the entire plate. My companion had a Strip Steak, and it too disappeared abruptly. The ambiance is warm and unique, not 'me too' like many steak places. The service was welcoming helpful and overall fabulous. From the hostess to the waitress. Good wine listing. Very happy with the recommendation and very pleased with our overall experience.Special Features:
- Not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2012Been going to Hoyt's for years. Always loved the brunch. This time everything seems to have slipped a couple notches. Biscuits have gotten smaller, hardly any fruit, finished the great hash-browns and asked for more and got plain hash-browns. Asked for the good ones with the onions and peppers cooked in and she came back with the same hash-browns with some green peppers on top. No desert doughnut holes. Service was really lacking.
- Great fun and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2012I chose JD Hoyt's because of it is an institution in the area and has great energetic charm. The staff was extremely courteous and the steaks were cooked perfectly with a great smokey flavor. My dining experience lived up to my expectations and the Cajun hash-browns were fantastic and nicely completed our chop house experience! Just wish I had room for dessert.Special Features:
- Great first impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/18/2012Reservations for 4 were at 7 PM and we were seated immediately when we arrived. Our server was prompt, took drink orders and returned to take our order. Onion ring appetizer was very good. The fillet, prime sirloin, pork chops and shrimp were delicious and done to prefection. The sweet potato and au gratin sides were also very good. No room for dessert at the end though. Will definitely be back to sample more of the menu.Special Features:
- We enjoyed ourselves onceAniversaryDined on 2/18/2012We enjoyed ourselves once again. Steaks were cooked exactly to order and the walleye was cooked to perfection. I did notice the bar keeps have turned over one more time. While adequate and engaging, they did seem to not be working as well together as previous staff. Overall another good experience. We will be backSpecial Features:
- I have been going to JD Hoyt'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012I have been going to JD Hoyt's for many years. On many occasions I have had their pork chops and have considered them some of the best I have ever had. On my last visit, I ordered the pork chops and was greatly disappointed. They were overdone and lukewarm at best. I hope that this was a rare exception. That being said, one of the reasons I go to JD Hoyt's is because I expect them to care about the food they serve and to consistently present a quality product. .Special Features:
- I have been to Hoyt's on manyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2012I have been to Hoyt's on many occasions, I always enjoy myself.Special Features:
- The food and ambience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2012The food and ambience was good, but not worthy of the prices.
- Worlds greatest pork chops,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012Worlds greatest pork chops, I promise they won't diaappoint you.Special Features:
- I took my boyfriend thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2012I took my boyfriend there as a surprise. He had never been there before. The owner delivered our food and made a point of stopping by to ask how everything was and made us feel like we were someone of importance. I work at a fine dining establishment and really attempt to do the same for my guests. The food was amazing!! Service was great!! Made it a belated Valentines day to remember !!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Enjoyed the Valentine's Day menu (steak & lobster) and my date ordered off the regular menu (the always great pork chops). All was perfect with food quality, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- The port chops were delicious.PrincessDined on 2/14/2012The port chops were delicious. However, the rest of the food was just OK. Still a fun little spot to go to occasionally!
- excellent food...large portions...wOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012excellent food...large portions...will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Something for EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Dinner was delicious and would have rated five stars but for the mixed vegetables that accompanied the main courses. They were undercooked, unseasoned, and detracted from the otherwise fabulous food. Crab cakes, filet, salmon, catfish, garlic mashed potatoes, and asparagus were all delightful, cooked perfectly, and well seasoned. The salads were also the perfect size and priced well. JD Hoyt’s is a classic steak and chop restaurant where anyone can find something to enjoy. And they have real desserts … nothing pretentious, just good old fashioned dessert.
- JD Hoyt's is suppose to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2012JD Hoyt's is suppose to be known for their pork chops; however all the people in our party that ordered pork chops said that they were dry.Special Features:
- Our meal was wonderful, preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/11/2012Our meal was wonderful, prepared as ordered. The food was spread out in a timely manner. We never felt rushed.Special Features:
- Love love love JD'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/10/2012One of the best places to eat in all of Minneapolis. Awesome service' great food. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Night Out With The FamilyBillDined on 2/10/2012Well this was our 2nd time back within 2 months. The first time was for our Anniversary and this time was take the whole family out for dinner, something that we haven't done in a long time. The food was great from the Buddy Bowl & wings for apps. to the ribs and chops for my main course. Mike's potato's where amazing, we did wish the onion rings had more of a spice & kick to them. For dessert we shared the family dessert, it was a monster and all 8 of us couldn't even finish it all it was so big and good!!!Special Features:
- AWESOME! We had a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/4/2012AWESOME! We had a birthday celebration last weekend that was fantastic. The food was amazing, service was wonderful, and we were greeted by the owner which made us feel special and that our business was appreciated. Would highly recommend this place to all of our friends.Special Features:
- Everything was excellent...........OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2012Everything was excellent............right up until they told us to get out so they could turn the table. Our group dropped 800.00 for dinner and we had to go before we were offered dessert. Come on guys!!Special Features:
- Unacceptably slow and inattentiveDevaVIPDined on 1/29/2012Unacceptably slow and inattentive service. We waited nearly an hour to get our food and hardly anyone was in the restaurant. The quality of the food is slightly above mediocre but portions are very generous. Definitely not fit for foodies. This restaurant seems to be more appealing to those who value quantity over quality.
- JD Hoyts is dependable andMerMVIPDined on 1/28/2012JD Hoyts is dependable and stays true to what it is and does well. We enjoy the selection - we all enjoy different entrees but love to share the sides. Our server, however was quite rude and very determined to rush us through the entire experience. We actually left to go elsewhere for after-dinner cocktails.
- Always a great meal at a reasonableTwoNVIPDined on 1/23/2012Always a great meal at a reasonable price. We are never disappointed. The service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Hoyt's through the yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2012JD Hoyts is a Minneapolis treasure for me, I wouldn'tThink a trip to Minneapolis is incomplete without a meal at Hoyt'sMCSpecial Features:
- As usual, an excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/15/2012As usual, an excellent meal at JD Hoyt's. Definitely a destination if you're looking for something a step up from the bar fare, but with a menu more diverse than you'd find in your average steak house. The Cajun pork chops are my favorite, and definitely worth the trip.Special Features:
- Still one of he best chop houses inbobajoulDined on 1/13/2012Have been going to Hoyt's for 25 years, never have had a bad mealSpecial Features:
- It was busy night and overallOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011It was busy night and overall service headed up by our server Quincy was great. Others came by from managers to bus boys touched our table to make sure our needs were met. Portions sizes were good and brought value to the experience. Food was solid but not as hot as we would expect but it was a packed house and understand it was the main challenge for the restaurant on New Years Eve. We will be back on a regular basis.Special Features:
- 3 sentences sums it up!MrFancyPantsDined on 12/31/2011It's noisy and fun! The service and food were exemplary. It's as simple as that.Special Features:
- I need a new fave steak joint :(OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/30/2011Normally one of my favorite places to dine. Took out of town guests for a birthday celebration and were disapointed. Pork chops WAY overcooked, steak WAY over cooked (I think the grill cook either forgot or was not trained on what "black & blue" means). The sides were skimpy to say the least, and the noise level was awful. Since it was alater reservation, I think our waitress was winding down for the evening, and once our food was served, we basically never saw her again. I think I need to start looking for a new favorite steak place, especially if I want to impress my friends.
- Dinner was delicious. ReallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2011Dinner was delicious. Really liked the Buddy bowl - nice change from the usual appetizers. A little noisy but could still have a conversation.Special Features:
- The food is just ok, the serviceJohnVIPDined on 12/23/2011The food is just ok, the service is just ok, there is nothing exceptional about the place, but somehow I find myself recommending it anyway. The owner is always there to shake a hand and check on the table and Junior at the bar is a character who makes a good drink. The location is convenient with free valet parking (where else do you get free valet parking)and the prices are reasonable. Stick with the pork chops!Special Features:
- Hoyt's is a very well-managed,RLS2RDined on 12/17/2011Hoyt's is a very well-managed, traditional supper club that fully met our expectations.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/16/2011Great food and service. Some of the best prime rib I've ever had. We also loved the corn bread so much, I am planning on making some for my girl friend and myself now. (I plan to marry this girl some day by the way... and she loved it there to :)Special Features:
- Prices were a bit high forFood4thoughtDined on 12/10/2011Prices were a bit high for such a casual environment -- would expect a little more formality with a $30 steak, such as Manny's or Ruth Chris.Special Features:
- JD Hoyts is a diamond in the roughOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2011The Buddy Bowl appetizer was amazing and so was their signature pork chops. The only downside to the restaurant is its location. We thought we were in the wrong place because the neon sign of the strip club from next door made the restaurant appear as if it was part of the club next door. As long as the location doesn't bother you, the food and service are well worth the hunt for parking.Special Features:
- JD HOYTS is 5 stars!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2011This is our second trip to JD HOYTS. It was again awesome. Pat and company put on a great meal and a very relaxed atmosphere. We started with a rasberry cosmo and I had a grey goose martini. My wife just said this is the best cosmo I have ever had!!! We then had crabcakes! AWESOME!! For the main meal we had I had the famous porkchop! The best I have ever had! My wife had the steak. It was also fantastic. No desert as we were way too full!! I will be back to JD HOYTS again!Special Features:
- ImpressivePaddyVIPDined on 12/3/2011What a score! We have visited many steak houses in the Cities. Few have combined all of the key points as JD Hoyt's.Special Features:
- We were a group of 6, withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/29/2011We were a group of 6, with one couple celebrating their wedding anniversary. We all had wonderful pork chop entrees and enjoyed JD Hoyt's very much before going to the Guthrie. I would certainly recommend this restaurant!