116 E. 27th St.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jazzstandard.net/
- Phone: 2125762232x
- Hours of Operation:
There are two shows every night of the week at 7:30pm and 9:30pm, with an additional show at 11:30pm on Friday and Saturdays. The doors open at 6:15pm, 9:00pm and 10:45pm. Seating is general admission. Reservations are honored up to 30 minutes prior to showtime.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jean-Paul Bourgeois
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Room is available for parties up to 125 people.
- Private Party Contact: Malysa Volpicelli 2124477733x
- Entertainment: Cover charge runs $15.00 and up. Jazz Standard offers guests a wide variety of world class jazz complemented by Blue Smoke barbecue in an intimate room with great sightlines and sound.
A word from Jazz Standard
Jazz Standard offers guests a wide variety of world class jazz complemented by Blue Smoke barbecue in an intimate room with great sightlines and sound.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Jazz Standard - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Jazz Standard reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (8)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (7)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- RonlawDined on 8/31/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner and show. My wife and I expected a long wait for the food but we were pleasantly surprised that our order was placed and came in no time. We went to the early show and got in line about 30 minutes before opening. The food was excellent as were our seats. There were no obstructions to the stage. I see why Jazz Standand is rate very high as a jazz venue. The drinks were not disappointing at all.Special Features:
- BBQ + Jazz = Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/22/2014While the food at Blue Smoke & Jazz Standard has evolved over the years - I'm not always sure the menu developments have been for the better - it is still among the best BBQ spots in the city. Add that to top-tier jazz talents, an evening at Jazz Standard will always be a great experience.Special Features:
- A Jazz club Fit for FoodiesCasaLVIPDined on 8/17/2014Everything was perfect. We really appreciate that you open a little earlier and let us eat before the music starts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance!PammieDined on 8/15/2014Awesome experience! Highly recommend! Although I was skeptical about the extra charge for seeing a show, but it was well worth it! The waitstaff is EXTREMELY attentive (not overwhelming attentive)! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Mingus Big Band ...OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/11/2014The Mingus Big Band was disappointing ... they wasted a significant amount of time during their short set.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding live musicYvonneDined on 8/2/2014Music was up close and very intimate. Service took way to long and the a/c made me feel like I was visiting Antarctica, thankfully the music warmed our soulsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Swinging Jazz a la BarbequeSmokeOwletteVIPDined on 7/19/2014The Jazz Standard has the perfect blend of appealing for your ears and taste buds! The jazz is top shelf musicians who are sizzling with swing the entire set. The barbeque is succulent and smoked and music to your taste buds. Calling all jazz lovers who are foodies--The Jazz Standard is a must do weekend destination for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemBrooklyniteDined on 7/12/2014We've come to expect great food, spectacular service, and unique ambiance from each of Danny Meyer's restaurants. Jazz Standard does not disappoint. Everything is exactly as it should be and prices are more than reasonable for the quality of food Nd entertainment.Special Features:
- the food was great.LadyShaeDined on 6/11/2014The starters and dinner ; and the check took to long to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jazz shinesnydinerVIPDined on 6/7/2014delicious food and great jazz venue - the jazz is front and center here the food is a delicious back storySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theo Croker Dvrk FunkJennie14Dined on 5/27/2014Amazing performance that was enhanced by the acoustics of this club. The service was prompt and courteous. The food was outstanding. I recommend the baby back ribs but the brisket was well liked. The quiet during the performance was appreciated and the Martinis were to die for!Special Features:
- Great musicCasaLVIPDined on 5/23/2014Consistently delicious food. On this occasion the softshell crabs, as well as the baby back ribs, were outstanding. But I am frustrated that no matter how early I arrive or how I plead with the wait staff, as happened the last three times I came, I waited for an hour with nothing to eat, and our dinner arrived after the music had started. But with such good food and music, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 234 reviews are from the Jazz Standard reviews archive.
- Cozy placeEllieT78Dined on 5/13/2014Booked this after reading a recommendation on Facebook. This was our first night in New York flying in from Stockholm, Sweden. Tired and jet lagged we did not expect much, but wanted something that was not the typical "tourist thing"to do. We both like jazz, but don't actually know much about the scene and we found the band playing that night (The Gil Evans Project) to be really good. Food was OK, typical American, but I would not go there for the food alone. We loved just sitting there, listening to the music, drinking beer and looking at the people that were digging the music. Some real characters. A really nice place if you want a genuine New York experience.Special Features:
- Some jazzTontonDined on 5/10/2014Nice place in a great location. The audience is mostly mature and not to mention that I am 57 and my wife is 54. We were in NYC for only a couple of days and the duo was not playing our favorite style jazz, but we had no choice. However, overall it was good music. The service was late and vague but quickly recovered when the check time got closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the jazzmfavogDined on 5/8/2014The food is always good, but it's the music that makes the evening. (Noise rating is really not applicable.)Special Features:
- Good musicTamaraDined on 5/3/2014Good music, great ambience, food ok, must have reservation, sit near to stageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Night OutRTBJrDined on 4/24/2014Good food, cocktails superb service and entertainment. Always a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a jazz clubCasaLVIPDined on 3/30/2014Having come here often, we have high expectations. The appetizer salad was tasty but tiny. We were frustrated that we had to wait for over an hour for our main courses even though we were among the earliest to arrive. The striped bass and especially the short ribs with spring vegetables were delicious, but it was frustrating to eat them in the dark well after the music started. Our waitress apologized and offered to comp the appetizers so the negative score for service is directed at the kitchen.Special Features:
- It was a fun place to comeBelleDined on 3/22/2014It was a fun place to come if you wanted to listen to jazz for an hour with some friends. The food was better than I anticipated- the mashed potatoes were especially good. They also have a decent drink selection with some old-school faves. Be warned that you are more or less kicked out once the jazz is over so that they can get ready for the next group of people. It's not a place where you can linger.Special Features:
- Jazz and RibsPoneloyaDined on 2/14/2014Great food and fantastic music. Took my wife here for valentine's day - she is a jazz lover, and she was so happy with the experience. The ribs are fantastic, and the sweet potato fries were the best I've ever had. It can be a little cramped - it was a holiday - so depending on where you sit, there isn't much elbow room/room to spread out. But, still, we had a fun filled, music filled, romantic evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where else in NYC can youfrequentdinerVIPDined on 1/26/2014Where else in NYC can you hear great jazz and eat terrific barbeque? The food comes from Blue Smoke upstairs, and the ribs are fantastic. The jazz programs vary greatly, something for every taste. Good sightlines and acoustics. Never a minimum. This is my favorite place for jazz, and I am a born and bred Newyorker.Special Features:
- Best food in a jazz clubCasaLVIPDined on 1/17/2014The food and the music were outstanding. I just wish the food could be served sooner so that we could better enjoy the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz and BBQ. A winning combinatioTNNJVIPDined on 12/30/2013Good food and a genuine jazz club setting. Well executed with seating and service. A must visit venue.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weird serviceopentableaddictVIPDined on 11/19/2013very strange event- the waiter dropped the wrong order at my table- came back about three minutes later asked of we touched the food took it away and apologized- disappeared for 1 minute then clearly dropped the same food at the table next to us- both my party and the party next to us say this and were astounded- the waiter was called out on this and the took the food away and brought them a new order, otherwise one of the best jazz venues and bbq restaurants in NY.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venue for jazz in aExchefDined on 11/15/2013Great venue for jazz in a small club. Food was Okay, not especially terrific bbq, but the drinks were excellent. A place to enjoy music more than food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the show, but...WendelDined on 11/2/2013eat before you get there. Myself and my party enjoyed everything about this place, except that the food was forgettable. The only thing that made an impression was the beer, wine, and the dessert sampler...and of course the show! So come hear the music, but dont plan on any culinary mastery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for jazzEllenDined on 11/2/2013Food is mediocre and over priced...stick with an appetizer or two and a beer. Nice ambience for good jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Jazz Great BBQ Great ServiceElizabethRBDined on 11/1/20134 of us had the best time at the Jazz Standard. We had hush puppies, and mac and cheese, and barbeque. The Kansas City Ribs were really good, the brisket also. The sweet potato wedges were the best but it was all about the mashed potatoes. They were to die for, I am still thinking about how delicious they were. The service was perfect. They had a decent selection of beer and I loved the hard cider. Great place, I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceSandiVIPDined on 11/1/2013Very good food and excellent music. What a fun night! Even if every seat is a good seat, its worth it to get there when the doors open to choose your best vantage point. Great, great fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingmauricioDined on 10/21/2013Wonderful jazz in a quiet atmosphere. The audience is properly oriented, and the show is not disturbed by the service. Excellent food and service! A+ !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Jazz club in NYCJazzManVIPDined on 10/17/2013Attentive service, respectful audience, great performers. "nuf saidI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent venue combiningfood4jazzDined on 9/27/2013Excellent venue combining good food with quality music in an intimate setting with good acoustics.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful atmosphereTryinNycDined on 9/27/2013I went there to take my date out for his birthday and it was beautiful dinner. Very romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC Jazz SpotMeticulousDined on 9/14/2013Jazz still lives in NYC and in particular at the Jazz Standard. Plus, a menu offering many of your barbecue favorites. So, if you like your jazz with some good barbecue, the Jazz Standard is the spot.Special Features:
- Jazz Club + Blue Smoke = landmarkXeroxManDined on 9/1/2013Jazz Standard draws some really great talent to play, the acoustics were good and if you get in early you can pick your own prime seating (first come, first serve, arrive 30 minutes early for the best seats). I thought the food they served from blue smoke downstairs was average, but I visit the Blue Smoke in Battery Park often enough and I know they're capable of more, this may have been an off night. Also, great bourbon/rye/whiskey/beer menu. Not unreasonably priced for a captive audience.Special Features:
- We went to see Gregory Porter,KittyDined on 8/23/2013We went to see Gregory Porter, which by the way was a fantastic show. This was our third time at the Jazz Standard and I still say the staff, the food, the service and the overall ambience was outstanding. We are definitely looking forward to coming back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JazzDavetvVIPDined on 8/18/2013Wonderful Jazz club and the BBQ was better than expected and relatively inexpensive by NYC standards. Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Jazz!ChristinaMDined on 8/18/2013If you are a Jazz lover this is the place for you! Great music and even better service. Food was amazing! Will definitely return!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dr. lonnie smith octet was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2013food, service and of course the music are always great here. one of my favorite places in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great club, great fooddoctorjazzDined on 8/9/2013Have been here many times, they have jazz every night with first rate artists. The room is nice, sound is really good. In addition, the BBQ/Southern menu, which it shares with Blue Smoke, the restaurant upstairs, is excellent. We really enjoyed our dinner. The waiter was very friendly and helpful as well. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.