4677 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaynesgastropub.com/
- Phone: 6195631011
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary European, British
- Executive Chef: Jayne Battle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Adams Avenue
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is usually readily available. The Adams Avenue bridge directly over the 805, two blocks east of Jaynes, is a neighborhood secret and only a 2 minute walk. Remember that green, yellow zones and parking meters are open and free after 6pm.
A word from Jayne's Gastropub
Jaynes is San Diego's trailblazing first and only Brit owned Gastropub. The eclectic menu features gourmet takes on pub classics using local, organic and sustainably farmed produce, meats and seafood. Beverage highlights include the city's most avant garde natural wine list from wine director Jon Erickson, a world class craft cocktail program curated by bartender Sarah Ellis and a broad beer list on draft and in bottles. The beautiful old world interior is reminiscent of London and San Francisco and the decor and feeling rates among the most charming in the entire city. Utterly non-corporate, Jaynes is the local's secret darling on North Park's 30th street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Jayne's Gastropub - Best Restaurants in North Park ›
Jayne's Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (36)fit for foodies (30)romantic (25)special occasion (22)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent out-of-the-way place.ScarDined on 10/21/2014After 3 visits we continue to find this place to be exceptional. Very eclectic menu which is excellent. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014great food and service. Our waitress was helpful but not pushy at all. The cocktails were delicious. The restaurant was a bit too noisy.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful meal!ARealBeautDined on 10/17/2014Food and service are always incredible! Dinner at Jayne's is always a special meal. Our waitress (Erin?) gave perfect wine suggestions and was so friendly and warm! We always love going here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbor hood eaterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Love this resaturant! My wife and I have eaten here 4 or 5 times now and its really been enjoyable. We tried the outside patio this time, it was less noisy then inside near the bar, and had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Schnitzel!!KevinDined on 10/1/2014Jayne's is amongst our top 3 local restaurants and the food and beverages are consistently excellent but then there is Schnitzel week! This week is Schnitzel week again and we had to have it as always and is just outstanding!! Two pieces of homemade Schnitzel together with homemade spatzale and all cooked perfectly. And, Jayne's such a great place, terrific service and great food!Special Features:
- FantasticLuv2dineDined on 9/27/2014Gave this a whirl during restaurant week. What a treasure to find!!!so good , we went back again with visitors from Orange County ; the same week!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marco/ pitamarcoDined on 9/26/2014still the hardest working staff in san diego. the best place we knowSpecial Features:
- A favorite in the makinglegaleaterDined on 9/22/2014Our second time here and everything is just spot on at this little place. Food, service, and ambiance consistently good. Cozy patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodAnneSelDined on 9/20/2014Four of the five of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. One, who had the duck breast special, found it overly salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking4yummyDined on 9/13/2014Our go to place for good food with a casual eclectic vibe. Can't go wrong with the fish and chips or burger. Mussels are hard to resist. Try a specialty drink. Bartender has some skillsSpecial Features:
- Coulda been perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014service? awesome. menu? awesome. wines? awesome. food? ok. well-conceived, but just ok. Here's how to take this restaurant from a "like" to a "love" -- and I say this with all due respect. have the chef sit down with a plate of his/her fried or brick chicken, next to a plate of whisk&ladle's or prep kitchen's or kfc's (not kidding) and then have him/her ask, what is missing in my dish? Just do that. Fix these dishes. And we'll be back. Otherwise, there are just too many restaurants to try on a given night...Special Features:
- Always dependablejustinchendDined on 9/6/2014Group of four sat promptly at 8. Drinks, excellent poutine, and bean curd special appetizer. My shepherd's pie was perfect. Affogato desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Disappointmentlooking4dinnerDined on 9/6/2014I like the concept of a "gastropub." The furnishings were nice, and I enjoyed the attention to details in the decor. It's a lovely neighborhood pub, but it is super loud and a tad overpriced for the quality of fare. $115 on dinner for two where we could barely hear one another converse would have been fine if the food made up for it. It did not. The food was tasty for a pub, but priced for a four-star restaurant. The service was off as well. We made reservations but were told upon our arrival we couldn't sit outside. There wasn't an option for al fresco dining on Open Table. Nice decor, but loud, average food, and lackluster service. It wasn't special.Special Features:
- Feels like U.K. in S.D.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014Jayne's Gastropub is quaint, lovely and friendly; its feel like a neighborhood spot from the East End of London. Cheers!Special Features:
- Hidden treasureWineCanineVIPDined on 9/3/2014I am so lucky to be able to walk to Jayne's! Love the bar here and the outdoor patio. Great food and great service! Try fried chicken night.....so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect evening!frenchfoodieDined on 8/29/2014We reserved our table about 5 days ahead and asked for and were seated on the patio. Our waiter was superb, helpful, friendly and knowledgeable and a great smile. My husband ordered the mussels as his entree (though the dish could be split as an appetizer) and he said it was delicious. My salmon was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. The dessert menu makes for a difficult choice and we finally decided on vanilla gelato with espresso. Yummy! The wine list is quite extensive. Altogether an excellent meal in a delightful setting.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseLugheadDined on 8/27/2014I came upon Jayne's by way of Yelp and trying to organize a dinner with business colleagues. The menu looked like a nice balance for different dietary preferences and delicious. As they opened at 5p, I made a reservation through OpenTable on the same day with no trouble. The atmosphere of the indoor was quiet but the bar noise rolled into the dining area as they were right next to each other. We opted to sit on the back patio -- a lovely area surrounded by green and with ambient lighting that really set the tone of either friendly gathering or romance. The food was outstanding - the cheese plate and a glass of wine followed by the sausage pastry special (all my table mates ate the fried chicken and raved about it).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ol' Jaynes!ChachoDined on 8/22/2014Try to get a table outside in the back. There's a great atmosphere there to match the wonderful food and service. I had the duck which was really good - crispy skin, yummy sauce - delicious. My wife had scallops, and they were cooked perfectly - you know - cooked so that those sweet things nearly melt in your mouth. The cocktails are great. The service - the service! - they have it down at Jaynes Gastropub! We'll be back again, and again.Special Features:
- Nice, but not when it's hot!nonameVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jayne's has always been a favorite. Hadn't been in a long time, and unfortunately chose a really hot day to go. No A-C inside (& lots of noise from the bar), so we ate on the patio. The heat drew in every fly in the neighborhood. We decided Jayne's will be a winter destination only for us. One big disappointment -- the fries are not what they used to be. But as usual, the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Jayne's was amazing. We got the steak and scallops and both were to die for. The service was outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service and patio diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Food was good, delicious, but not amazing (for the price we expected a little more). The presentation for the special, bacon-wrapped filet with asparagus, and for the bangers and mash was great. I ordered the shepard's pie which was delicious, but not special as far as presentation was concerned. We also had the calamari - delicious, and heirloom tomato and arugala salad which was good, although too heavy on the vinegarette for my taste. For dessert we had vanilla, pistachio, and chocolate gelato and the strawberry-rhubarb with vanilla ice-cream. The straw-rhub was fantastic! I'd go there again just for dessert. We dined outside and it is a beautiful, quite patio setting. Our server Eric was very attentive & knowledgeable, great service!Special Features:
- Best Bistro in San Diego!!!JohnDined on 7/19/2014Jaynes Gastro pub is great! The proprietors are warm and inviting. The space is charming. The outdoor patio is sweet. The food is terrific (try the Jayne Burger topped with Vermont cheddar and pickled onions, the flat iron steak with salsa Verde or whatever fish they are serving). The cocktails, beer and wine are outstanding too. You will love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceMrvinfoodDined on 7/19/2014Love the patio it was perfect with SD weather. Our waitress Dani was excellent in spice of a very busy night. Everyone Went out of their way to get us an outside table and we're very attentive during our meal. Yes it may be pricey for some but worth every penny. Great and interesting menu choices. Over all a great night out in a different area of SD.Special Features:
- My "go to" RestaurantlavenderDined on 7/15/2014Jaynes is my "go to" restaurant in San Diego. Not only is the food amazing (best burger in SD!), the ambiance is charming, cocktails are fantastic, the staff is welcoming and friendly and while I haven't met the owner yet, I always see her working hard and interacting with customers and staff alike. It is also down the street from where I live, making it very convenient. I'm a big fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pub foodyupitsmeDined on 7/5/2014this is our second visit to Jaynes simply because we were in the mood for fish and chips. again we were pleased with the food, the surprise is getting seated outside which was really nice - usually I don't like eating outside if its near the street or windy or whatever. but this was secluded and quieter. The only complaint is that BOTH times we came here the drinks were slow to appear. By then we were ready to order our food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/2/2014It's always a great dining experience at Jaynes. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 91 reviews are from the Jayne's Gastropub reviews archive.
- WillieDined on 6/21/2014Excellent place for good food and good cheer, witha neighborhood feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Find.ScarDined on 6/18/2014My wife's name is Jayne so we thought we would try this restaraunt. What a great find. Excellent food and service. A small place in an older neighborhood of San Diego. A beautiful outdoor patio. Well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could have brought my dad!MsSpoonDined on 6/13/2014He used to make fun of British food --- but he would have loved the panko pork cutlets, the shepherds pie, and the friendly little bar. This terrific place has British trappings but don't be fooled -- It is delicious "continental food" without any snootiness -- just humility and friendliness and deliciousness.Special Features:
- The right combinationthesaintDined on 6/12/2014The service, food, and beer selection was great! We sat on the beautiful patio and enjoyed a great date night together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!Food4familyof5Dined on 6/11/2014It was my brothers birthday and he wanted to try Jayne's. We had heard that it was too pricey and that food was not that good, but of course we had to try it ourselves! We loved it! We definitely will be back! Ariel was the perfect server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute little neighborhood gem!SanDiegoDelVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food is good, but the drinks are moderate. It's a cute little neighborhood gem, and I love the patio dining.Special Features:
- Exceptionally well doneJustacustomerDined on 6/6/2014Probably the best dining experience we've had in years. Service was flawless. Food was simple, perfectly prepared, and reasonably priced. The ingredients were fresh, light, and full of flavor. The meal left us satisfied without feeling stuffed or overindulgent. The perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hannamannahannamannaDined on 5/30/2014I love Jayne's Gastropub!! The food is just delicious! I especially love the muscles but all their dishes are so tasty. The wine is great too. My two favorite things about Jayne's is the back patio...so precious..private and friendly and big enough not to be intimidating. The second thing is the waitress...we have only had the same one each time we've gone. She has long blond wavy hair (but wears it up) and is a poet when it comes to describing the various dishes. She enlightens us on how each dish's flavor and its character...just a wonderful waitress. I highly recommend Jayne's and plan to make it a regular part of our quarterly dining route.Special Features:
- Charming Restuarant with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/23/2014Great service. We had the fish and chips and mussels. Some of the best fish n chips you'll find.Special Features:
- great find!yupitsmeDined on 5/23/2014this may be crazy but we have been trying to find the perfect fish and chips - and we think we have found it! We love a lot of other different foods but we decided to give this place our f&c test, and San Diego, for all of its seafood places, have not satisfied that. Just the right texture for the batter and the fish was fresh, not frozen or funky tasting. We had the crostini as an appetizer and it was delicious. we all be back for sure.Special Features:
- A Noisy Noise Annoys!Pooh2Dined on 5/17/2014Our dinner was delicious served by a competent waiter. Inside the cacophony from a nearby table made conversation impossible for the three of us. There should be more noise control in such a small room -wall & floor coverings, table pads, chair cushions to absorb the sound. Small wonder most people prefer to eat outside in the charming garden. Owners need to pay more attention to acoustics in their establishments otherwise discerning customers will go to those who do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCarlosDined on 5/14/2014I made the reservation on Opentable with a note saying it was my wife's birthday and they made a special dessert for her after we had dinner with no indication that it was comingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but expensiveMadhatterVIPDined on 5/8/2014I had the soup & chicken under brick. The soup was not exciting and for $9.50, it should be. The chicken was excellent ($24.50). The drinks were ok, again at $11.00@ they should be better. My husband had the muscles, which he really enjoyed, and the Lamb Shepherd’s Pie ($19.50), which he also enjoyed. It was half empty in the restaurant and we could barely hear each other. Overall it was good, but too expensive.
- Good grub at the gastropubLittleDined on 5/2/2014We had gambas al aljillo, Caesar salad with whole anchovies, and the evening special - three pan seared divers scallops atop saffron Israeli couscous, peas, tomatoes, and spinach. All were delicious. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable and timed our service perfectly. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.