4677 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaynesgastropub.com/
- Phone: (619) 563-1011
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary European, British
- Executive Chef: Jayne Battle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Adams Avenue
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is usually readily available. The Adams Avenue bridge directly over the 805, two blocks east of Jaynes, is a neighborhood secret and only a 2 minute walk. Remember that green, yellow zones and parking meters are open and free after 6pm.
A word from Jayne's Gastropub
Jaynes is San Diego's trailblazing first and only Brit owned Gastropub. The eclectic menu features gourmet takes on pub classics using local, organic and sustainably farmed produce, meats and seafood. Beverage highlights include the city's most avant garde natural wine list from wine director Jon Erickson, a world class craft cocktail program curated by bartender Sarah Ellis and a broad beer list on draft and in bottles. The beautiful old world interior is reminiscent of London and San Francisco and the decor and feeling rates among the most charming in the entire city. Utterly non-corporate, Jaynes is the local's secret darling on North Park's 30th street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Jayne's Gastropub - Best Restaurants in North Park ›
Jayne's Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)great for outdoor dining (33)fit for foodies (27)romantic (21)special occasion (20)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good, but expensiveMadhatterVIPDined on 5/8/2014I had the soup & chicken under brick. The soup was not exciting and for $9.50, it should be. The chicken was excellent ($24.50). The drinks were ok, again at $11.00@ they should be better. My husband had the muscles, which he really enjoyed, and the Lamb Shepherd’s Pie ($19.50), which he also enjoyed. It was half empty in the restaurant and we could barely hear each other. Overall it was good, but too expensive.
- Good grub at the gastropubLittleDined on 5/2/2014We had gambas al aljillo, Caesar salad with whole anchovies, and the evening special - three pan seared divers scallops atop saffron Israeli couscous, peas, tomatoes, and spinach. All were delicious. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable and timed our service perfectly. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome hidden patio in the backLindsDined on 4/20/2014Jayne's Gastropub was a lucky find. They have a little patio hidden in the back for outside dining, which is usually always good in San Diego. Loved the Metro map in the bathroom. The scones they sent from the kitchen were amazing!Special Features:
- Eclectic CreativityJoMarieVIPDined on 4/11/2014Expecting pub food, I was surprised by the first-rate food coming from the kitchen. The first course of mussels had plump mussels with small bits of chorizo in a white wine sauce. For the second course, the halibut was cooked just right and was a on a bed of marvelous fresh vegetables. The rhubarb/strawberry tart had the most delectable, light crust topped with gelato. Our waiter was knowledgeable and timely. The wine list is not extensive, but all wines are carefully chosen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2014My husband and I love Jayne's and this trip was no exception. We love the food, but the service is also amazing. You can't go wrong with any of the dishes, but on this trip the Bangers and Mash were superb, as was the sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:
- Jayne's is the go-to restaurantmcwadayDined on 3/29/2014Jayne's is the go-to restaurant for food lovers who feel that SD can't hold a candle to other major cities dining experiences (which it can't). That said, Jayne's could easily be found in SF, LA, Portland, Chgo, etc and still make the Eater 38 in each city. It's great dining in a relaxed comfortable yet smart atmosphere and has been doing what the Spotted Pig has been doing in NYC for 10 years. If you haven't been, go here now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we have been regulars hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014we have been regulars here since its opening. never dissappoints. one of the most consistent places i have ever been. young owners make the place special. hip san francisco vibe to the place.Special Features:
- We LOVE Jayne's Gastropub.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014We LOVE Jayne's Gastropub. The food is always exquisite; service great and if eating outdoors, much quieter than indoors. We have found if you do go to sit indoors, the earlier you come, the better. It gets noisier as the night goes on but it is SO worth it regardless. The food honestly is the BEST! You can tell they cook with Love and Care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Food Make up for Noise?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014Met a friend for dinner around 7:00 Friday night. The food was delightful. But the noise level in this place is out of control. I wish they would do something about that - maybe some sound absorbing treatment on the ceiling. As the restaurant filled up I noticed I had to talk louder and louder to be heard across a small 2-top table to the point that it became unpleasant. Now the food is really good, but I am not sure it's worth the trade off.Special Features:
- The bar in this charming restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014The bar in this charming restaurant was small, but had a great, friendly vibe. The grouper was excellent, as was the pricey, but interestng and delicious small wine selection. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was tasty, not overwhelminghenrycg0VIPDined on 3/14/2014I really enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, the service. Everything was wonderful, everyone really friendly. I was not overwhelmed by the food, but everything tasted well, was prepared excellently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemChicaVIPDined on 3/11/2014Our first time to Jayne's and we will be back. Fabulous food. Great service. Did I say fabulous food??!! Only complaint is their dessert options are uninteresting and bready. Add a creme brûlée or chocolate pot de creme and they will get five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had higher expectationsFoodieSD2014Dined on 2/28/2014We came here with pretty high expectations given all of the great reviews about this place, however we left pretty disappointed. We had confirmed reservations, but ended up waiting over 20min for our table since the previous diners had not left yet. We soon found out why, it took forever for anything. For such a small dining room, they had 2 servers but they were slammed the whole night. From the time we placed our entree orders in, until they came out was over and hour. Staples such as the burger and bangers & mash were cooked ok, but any other items on the very limited menu were not cooked as well. They were lacking in flavor and seasoning. Prices are very out of proportion for the neighborhood. Will not be coming back.
- BrilliantsarhaspeekeDined on 2/28/2014Yet another fabulous meal combined with excellent service, (thank you Ariel)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service is allwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food and service is allways excellent at Jayne's. The interior is beautiful as is the cozy outdoor patio. Inside can get a bit loud so if you like it quieter, request the patio. Reservations are best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun restaurant; mediocre foodChuckVIPDined on 2/27/2014We had great service in a fun atmosphere. Ordered fried calamari which came out of the kitchen almost as soon as we ordered and it were not crisp, but soggy; evident that the dish had been resting for awhile. Ordered the "special" of the evening which were 3 huge bay scallops - but they were tough and overcooked. Good selection of beer, though, and the IPA was super.Special Features:
- Consistent.sasultanDined on 2/26/2014We eat at Jayne's often, usually once a month. If you can go during a schnitzel night - run! And make sure you pre-order them, because they are so popular and delicious they might run out if you have a later night reservation. The service is always great and most importantly - the food is CONSISTENT! If you like their bangers 'n mash the first time! you won't be disappointed with the fourth time. Same goes for all the menu items. I highly recommend the fish and chips and the Jidori chicken. Thursday mussel nights are awesome, but Wednesday's fried chicken is glorious. JUST GO ALREADY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picky diner loves Jayne'smichaelChristianDined on 2/26/2014i'm picky. no, i'm an outright jerk about food and wine. This is the ONLY restaurant I frequent in San Diego that NEVER disappoints me. Jayne's cares. Jayne's has talent. Jayne's has taste.Special Features:
- Wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014Jayne's is a great place. The food is great - very high quality. The services was exceptional - Garret was so nice and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Best date night spotTamTamDined on 2/14/2014Jaynes was a place I had always wanted to try so finally made reservations for V-Day. This choice was risky cause what if it wasn't good? Jaynes was perfect, lively, romantic and all the staff were attentive. Inside is decorated with many odes to England and the rest reminds you of a classic New York Bar. The food was delicious, European and beautifully plated. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & DrinksFoodieDined on 2/12/2014I've been to this restaurant a handful of times and the food and drinks are always great. The buttermilk fried chicken is outstanding! The waitstaff was friendly and very knowleable on the menu. My only criticism is that it took a long time for us to receive our food after we placed our order even though we were the only group seated in the dining area. However, after our lenghthy wait, we all received our food at the same time which was nice. I would defnitely recommend this restaurant and will return myself. If you're in the mood for a delicious, leasurely dinner and drinks, this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfortunateUnfortunateDined on 1/24/2014The noise level at Jayne's was extremely loud and the service extremely slow. The food was unremarkable and did not justify a wait of more than one hour between courses. Our table was next to the patio door where a constant line formed for the single, unisex toilet. Jayne's seemed to have the makings of a neighborhood gem. Unfortunate.Special Features:
- Restaurant week outingwalterhanigDined on 1/23/2014Excellent food and knowledgeable service. Noise level was a little high, but the restaurant was full. Particularly liked the lamb satay and pear crostada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Will Definitely be Back!DiningOut619Dined on 1/22/2014Jayne's is the perfect little neighborhood eatery! The service was on-point and attentive, but not overly present. The food was delicious and my fiancé and I will most certainly be back for more!!Special Features:
- Cozy & Charming100IBUsDined on 1/18/2014Jayne's is an excellent place to have some drinks and/or enjoy the impressive menu, nestled in the vibrant Adams Ave/30th Street area. We had dinner for two, were seated promptly despite being a few minutes late due to parking difficulties, received excellent service, and enjoyed a wonderful meal (we had the duck on special - outstanding!). This restaurant is truly a gem. Be sure to say hi to Sarah - she is an all-star and tends an energetic & fun bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thanksgiving!emarinko8Dined on 11/28/2013Jayne's had a wonderful menu. Thank you for great food and time.Special Features:
- Noisy but goodAricDined on 11/22/2013Very popular, so it was loud. The food was interesting, but not out of this world. Cheese plate left a lot to be desired and was quite pricy.Dopped $100 on a drink each, cheese plate, and chicken... in retrospect doesn't sound worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In search of.....SammmomDined on 11/22/2013We a e trying all the places listed in the UT article about Fish and Chips. This is our third and the winner so far. Excellent fish, bass not haddock or cod, and chips crispy. Sauteed snap peas as an homage to mushy peas (ick) much preferred. One of us doubted the bass so ordered the fried chicken special. Cleaned his plate! We started with mussels to share and hoovered that. Ended with sticky toffee pudding which was a disappointment. It was three tough Madeleines and gelato with maybe a hit of caramel sauce. Somehow not what we expected, but tasty. VERY NOISY but service is attentive even if the entree, as predicted by the server, was at least 25 minutes in coming. Parking is a nightmare so go on a weekday if you can. We willSpecial Features:
- Jayne's is reliably goodKathyinHillcrestCADined on 11/19/2013Thank goodness for Jayne's in the neighborhood! They can be counted on for a great experience.Special Features:
- The fried chicken specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/16/2013The fried chicken special was juicy but not crispy at all. The steak pie was terrific. Unfortunately the chicken was very averageI would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful weekday dinnerAiiciaDined on 11/14/2013Dinner was really nice on Thursday night. Jayne's dining room was not busy so we got undivided attention. Can't complain. The crab cakes were delicious. Mussels was flavorful , stronger than I'm used to in terms of seasoning but not in a bad way. Frites could have been thinner and more crisp. We were thinking mjoules et frites, the French style. I'll go back there again for sure. We also saw the inviting backyard so we'll probably go again for weekend brunch or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Burger!LisaDined on 11/8/2013We come here for their burger and it's evidently what they are known for. Rarely do I take any burger home as a leftover meal. I took my three bites of leftover to have for breakfast the next morning. It is amazing in my opinion. The caesar salad is also something I keep ordering. It's full and fresh leaves of romaine lettuce, each dressed perfectly and topped with a delicious sprinkling of croutons. Wow, we love Jayne's Gastropub!I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJerryDined on 11/6/2013Great place to go for a delicious meal& drink. Really two venues in one place. Inside a real bustling pub. Patio calmer&white table cloth atmosphere outside. Specials are just that. Wine list small but expertly assembled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and vibrant atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/2/2013Great food and vibrant atmosphere. Prices a little on the high side for the lack of great service and for a regular dinner out but would return for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMissyDined on 11/1/2013My husband and I have wanted to try this spot out since we are big fans of gastro-pubs. The ambiance was nice and clean. We started with lamb meatballs, which were good. Although the “meatballs” looked more like lamb patties. Anyways, I had the grouper which was delicious and cooked perfectly, but the garbanzo beans were overcooked. My husband ordered the special with fried chicken, collard greens and cornbread. The cornbread and collard greens were excellent. However, the fried chicken had soggy breading, and was very disappointing. We spent about $130 that night. And for that amount, the establishment is simply not worth it.
- GreatCarlosDined on 10/8/2013We were here for our anniversary dinner and I had the chicken under brick which was delicious and my wife had the fish and it was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been meaning to check outchanengDined on 10/5/2013Been meaning to check out Jayne's for some time now, had heard great things. I put together a dinner party for 6 and the food/ambiance/service definitely lived up to all of our expectations! Wonderful experience, will certainly be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a casual atmospheretiminsandiegoDined on 9/28/2013Fish and chips were the best in town. Service could not be better. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good dining ExperienceCarlyVIPDined on 9/19/2013The service was excellent, but I felt the food was average and overpriced. I'm not sure if I would go back or recommend to other foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Neighborhood PlacecalpoidogVIPDined on 9/17/2013We've been going to Jayne's since it's opened and love the cozy, neighborhood feel. Everyone seems to know everyone and Jayne makes everyone feel welcome. The menu is consistently good and keeps standard favorites on the menu while refreshing with seasonal dishes. Handcrafted cocktails also change a bit with the seasons so there is always something new to try. Their hamburger is my favorite burger in all of San Diego, hands down. Check their website from time to time as they often have special occasions going on such as holiday brunch and wine/food tastings. If the evening is warm enough, try to get a seat on the outside patio. It's cozy, great ambiance, perfect for a romantic date and much quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.