4677 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaynesgastropub.com/
- Phone: 6195631011
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary European, British
- Executive Chef: Jayne Battle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Adams Avenue
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is usually readily available. The Adams Avenue bridge directly over the 805, two blocks east of Jaynes, is a neighborhood secret and only a 2 minute walk. Remember that green, yellow zones and parking meters are open and free after 6pm.
A word from Jayne's Gastropub
Jaynes is San Diego's trailblazing first and only Brit owned Gastropub. The eclectic menu features gourmet takes on pub classics using local, organic and sustainably farmed produce, meats and seafood. Beverage highlights include the city's most avant garde natural wine list from wine director Jon Erickson, a world class craft cocktail program curated by bartender Sarah Ellis and a broad beer list on draft and in bottles. The beautiful old world interior is reminiscent of London and San Francisco and the decor and feeling rates among the most charming in the entire city. Utterly non-corporate, Jaynes is the local's secret darling on North Park's 30th street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jayne's Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (31)great for outdoor dining (31)romantic (23)special occasion (18)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A perfect evening!frenchfoodieDined on 8/29/2014We reserved our table about 5 days ahead and asked for and were seated on the patio. Our waiter was superb, helpful, friendly and knowledgeable and a great smile. My husband ordered the mussels as his entree (though the dish could be split as an appetizer) and he said it was delicious. My salmon was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. The dessert menu makes for a difficult choice and we finally decided on vanilla gelato with espresso. Yummy! The wine list is quite extensive. Altogether an excellent meal in a delightful setting.Special Features:
- Good ol' Jaynes!ChachoDined on 8/22/2014Try to get a table outside in the back. There's a great atmosphere there to match the wonderful food and service. I had the duck which was really good - crispy skin, yummy sauce - delicious. My wife had scallops, and they were cooked perfectly - you know - cooked so that those sweet things nearly melt in your mouth. The cocktails are great. The service - the service! - they have it down at Jaynes Gastropub! We'll be back again, and again.Special Features:
- Nice, but not when it's hot!nonameVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jayne's has always been a favorite. Hadn't been in a long time, and unfortunately chose a really hot day to go. No A-C inside (& lots of noise from the bar), so we ate on the patio. The heat drew in every fly in the neighborhood. We decided Jayne's will be a winter destination only for us. One big disappointment -- the fries are not what they used to be. But as usual, the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Jayne's was amazing. We got the steak and scallops and both were to die for. The service was outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service and patio diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Food was good, delicious, but not amazing (for the price we expected a little more). The presentation for the special, bacon-wrapped filet with asparagus, and for the bangers and mash was great. I ordered the shepard's pie which was delicious, but not special as far as presentation was concerned. We also had the calamari - delicious, and heirloom tomato and arugala salad which was good, although too heavy on the vinegarette for my taste. For dessert we had vanilla, pistachio, and chocolate gelato and the strawberry-rhubarb with vanilla ice-cream. The straw-rhub was fantastic! I'd go there again just for dessert. We dined outside and it is a beautiful, quite patio setting. Our server Eric was very attentive & knowledgeable, great service!Special Features:
- Best Bistro in San Diego!!!JohnDined on 7/19/2014Jaynes Gastro pub is great! The proprietors are warm and inviting. The space is charming. The outdoor patio is sweet. The food is terrific (try the Jayne Burger topped with Vermont cheddar and pickled onions, the flat iron steak with salsa Verde or whatever fish they are serving). The cocktails, beer and wine are outstanding too. You will love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceMrvinfoodDined on 7/19/2014Love the patio it was perfect with SD weather. Our waitress Dani was excellent in spice of a very busy night. Everyone Went out of their way to get us an outside table and we're very attentive during our meal. Yes it may be pricey for some but worth every penny. Great and interesting menu choices. Over all a great night out in a different area of SD.Special Features:
- My "go to" RestaurantlavenderDined on 7/15/2014Jaynes is my "go to" restaurant in San Diego. Not only is the food amazing (best burger in SD!), the ambiance is charming, cocktails are fantastic, the staff is welcoming and friendly and while I haven't met the owner yet, I always see her working hard and interacting with customers and staff alike. It is also down the street from where I live, making it very convenient. I'm a big fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pub foodyupitsmeDined on 7/5/2014this is our second visit to Jaynes simply because we were in the mood for fish and chips. again we were pleased with the food, the surprise is getting seated outside which was really nice - usually I don't like eating outside if its near the street or windy or whatever. but this was secluded and quieter. The only complaint is that BOTH times we came here the drinks were slow to appear. By then we were ready to order our food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/2/2014It's always a great dining experience at Jaynes. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WillieDined on 6/21/2014Excellent place for good food and good cheer, witha neighborhood feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Find.ScarDined on 6/18/2014My wife's name is Jayne so we thought we would try this restaraunt. What a great find. Excellent food and service. A small place in an older neighborhood of San Diego. A beautiful outdoor patio. Well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could have brought my dad!MsSpoonDined on 6/13/2014He used to make fun of British food --- but he would have loved the panko pork cutlets, the shepherds pie, and the friendly little bar. This terrific place has British trappings but don't be fooled -- It is delicious "continental food" without any snootiness -- just humility and friendliness and deliciousness.Special Features:
- The right combinationthesaintDined on 6/12/2014The service, food, and beer selection was great! We sat on the beautiful patio and enjoyed a great date night together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!Food4familyof5Dined on 6/11/2014It was my brothers birthday and he wanted to try Jayne's. We had heard that it was too pricey and that food was not that good, but of course we had to try it ourselves! We loved it! We definitely will be back! Ariel was the perfect server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute little neighborhood gem!SanDiegoDelVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food is good, but the drinks are moderate. It's a cute little neighborhood gem, and I love the patio dining.Special Features:
- Exceptionally well doneJustacustomerDined on 6/6/2014Probably the best dining experience we've had in years. Service was flawless. Food was simple, perfectly prepared, and reasonably priced. The ingredients were fresh, light, and full of flavor. The meal left us satisfied without feeling stuffed or overindulgent. The perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hannamannahannamannaDined on 5/30/2014I love Jayne's Gastropub!! The food is just delicious! I especially love the muscles but all their dishes are so tasty. The wine is great too. My two favorite things about Jayne's is the back patio...so precious..private and friendly and big enough not to be intimidating. The second thing is the waitress...we have only had the same one each time we've gone. She has long blond wavy hair (but wears it up) and is a poet when it comes to describing the various dishes. She enlightens us on how each dish's flavor and its character...just a wonderful waitress. I highly recommend Jayne's and plan to make it a regular part of our quarterly dining route.Special Features:
- Charming Restuarant with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/23/2014Great service. We had the fish and chips and mussels. Some of the best fish n chips you'll find.Special Features:
- great find!yupitsmeDined on 5/23/2014this may be crazy but we have been trying to find the perfect fish and chips - and we think we have found it! We love a lot of other different foods but we decided to give this place our f&c test, and San Diego, for all of its seafood places, have not satisfied that. Just the right texture for the batter and the fish was fresh, not frozen or funky tasting. We had the crostini as an appetizer and it was delicious. we all be back for sure.Special Features:
- A Noisy Noise Annoys!Pooh2Dined on 5/17/2014Our dinner was delicious served by a competent waiter. Inside the cacophony from a nearby table made conversation impossible for the three of us. There should be more noise control in such a small room -wall & floor coverings, table pads, chair cushions to absorb the sound. Small wonder most people prefer to eat outside in the charming garden. Owners need to pay more attention to acoustics in their establishments otherwise discerning customers will go to those who do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCarlosDined on 5/14/2014I made the reservation on Opentable with a note saying it was my wife's birthday and they made a special dessert for her after we had dinner with no indication that it was comingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but expensiveMadhatterVIPDined on 5/8/2014I had the soup & chicken under brick. The soup was not exciting and for $9.50, it should be. The chicken was excellent ($24.50). The drinks were ok, again at $11.00@ they should be better. My husband had the muscles, which he really enjoyed, and the Lamb Shepherd’s Pie ($19.50), which he also enjoyed. It was half empty in the restaurant and we could barely hear each other. Overall it was good, but too expensive.
- The following 78 reviews are from the Jayne's Gastropub reviews archive.
- Good grub at the gastropubLittleDined on 5/2/2014We had gambas al aljillo, Caesar salad with whole anchovies, and the evening special - three pan seared divers scallops atop saffron Israeli couscous, peas, tomatoes, and spinach. All were delicious. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable and timed our service perfectly. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome hidden patio in the backLindsDined on 4/20/2014Jayne's Gastropub was a lucky find. They have a little patio hidden in the back for outside dining, which is usually always good in San Diego. Loved the Metro map in the bathroom. The scones they sent from the kitchen were amazing!Special Features:
- Eclectic CreativityJoMarieDined on 4/11/2014Expecting pub food, I was surprised by the first-rate food coming from the kitchen. The first course of mussels had plump mussels with small bits of chorizo in a white wine sauce. For the second course, the halibut was cooked just right and was a on a bed of marvelous fresh vegetables. The rhubarb/strawberry tart had the most delectable, light crust topped with gelato. Our waiter was knowledgeable and timely. The wine list is not extensive, but all wines are carefully chosen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2014My husband and I love Jayne's and this trip was no exception. We love the food, but the service is also amazing. You can't go wrong with any of the dishes, but on this trip the Bangers and Mash were superb, as was the sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:
- Jayne's is the go-to restaurantmcwadayDined on 3/29/2014Jayne's is the go-to restaurant for food lovers who feel that SD can't hold a candle to other major cities dining experiences (which it can't). That said, Jayne's could easily be found in SF, LA, Portland, Chgo, etc and still make the Eater 38 in each city. It's great dining in a relaxed comfortable yet smart atmosphere and has been doing what the Spotted Pig has been doing in NYC for 10 years. If you haven't been, go here now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we have been regulars hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014we have been regulars here since its opening. never dissappoints. one of the most consistent places i have ever been. young owners make the place special. hip san francisco vibe to the place.Special Features:
- We LOVE Jayne's Gastropub.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014We LOVE Jayne's Gastropub. The food is always exquisite; service great and if eating outdoors, much quieter than indoors. We have found if you do go to sit indoors, the earlier you come, the better. It gets noisier as the night goes on but it is SO worth it regardless. The food honestly is the BEST! You can tell they cook with Love and Care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Food Make up for Noise?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014Met a friend for dinner around 7:00 Friday night. The food was delightful. But the noise level in this place is out of control. I wish they would do something about that - maybe some sound absorbing treatment on the ceiling. As the restaurant filled up I noticed I had to talk louder and louder to be heard across a small 2-top table to the point that it became unpleasant. Now the food is really good, but I am not sure it's worth the trade off.Special Features:
- The bar in this charming restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014The bar in this charming restaurant was small, but had a great, friendly vibe. The grouper was excellent, as was the pricey, but interestng and delicious small wine selection. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was tasty, not overwhelminghenrycg0VIPDined on 3/14/2014I really enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, the service. Everything was wonderful, everyone really friendly. I was not overwhelmed by the food, but everything tasted well, was prepared excellently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemChicaVIPDined on 3/11/2014Our first time to Jayne's and we will be back. Fabulous food. Great service. Did I say fabulous food??!! Only complaint is their dessert options are uninteresting and bready. Add a creme brûlée or chocolate pot de creme and they will get five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had higher expectationsFoodieSD2014Dined on 2/28/2014We came here with pretty high expectations given all of the great reviews about this place, however we left pretty disappointed. We had confirmed reservations, but ended up waiting over 20min for our table since the previous diners had not left yet. We soon found out why, it took forever for anything. For such a small dining room, they had 2 servers but they were slammed the whole night. From the time we placed our entree orders in, until they came out was over and hour. Staples such as the burger and bangers & mash were cooked ok, but any other items on the very limited menu were not cooked as well. They were lacking in flavor and seasoning. Prices are very out of proportion for the neighborhood. Will not be coming back.
- BrilliantsarhaspeekeDined on 2/28/2014Yet another fabulous meal combined with excellent service, (thank you Ariel)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service is allwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food and service is allways excellent at Jayne's. The interior is beautiful as is the cozy outdoor patio. Inside can get a bit loud so if you like it quieter, request the patio. Reservations are best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun restaurant; mediocre foodChuckVIPDined on 2/27/2014We had great service in a fun atmosphere. Ordered fried calamari which came out of the kitchen almost as soon as we ordered and it were not crisp, but soggy; evident that the dish had been resting for awhile. Ordered the "special" of the evening which were 3 huge bay scallops - but they were tough and overcooked. Good selection of beer, though, and the IPA was super.Special Features:
- Consistent.sasultanDined on 2/26/2014We eat at Jayne's often, usually once a month. If you can go during a schnitzel night - run! And make sure you pre-order them, because they are so popular and delicious they might run out if you have a later night reservation. The service is always great and most importantly - the food is CONSISTENT! If you like their bangers 'n mash the first time! you won't be disappointed with the fourth time. Same goes for all the menu items. I highly recommend the fish and chips and the Jidori chicken. Thursday mussel nights are awesome, but Wednesday's fried chicken is glorious. JUST GO ALREADY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picky diner loves Jayne'smichaelChristianDined on 2/26/2014i'm picky. no, i'm an outright jerk about food and wine. This is the ONLY restaurant I frequent in San Diego that NEVER disappoints me. Jayne's cares. Jayne's has talent. Jayne's has taste.Special Features: