300 Grove St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jardiniere.com/
- Phone: (415) 861-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner reservations can be made Sun-Thurs: 5:00pm-9:00pm Fri and Sat: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Morgan Mueller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are available for lunch or dinner receptions through our special events manager, Nicole Yasinsac. email@example.com
A word from Jardiniere
Jardiniere, opened in 1997, is housed in a beautiful landmark building in San Francisco's chic Hayes Valley neighborhood. Highlights of the elegant setting include a gorgeous bar and stunning staircase. The highly refined and sensual food of Chef/Owner Traci Des Jardins is a celebration of Northern California's best seasonal bounty prepared with classic French technique. The J Lounge features a full list of specialty cocktails and wines, and offers a variety of creative lounge food and small plates. Its proximity to the theaters makes it an excellent place to dine before or after a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Jardiniere reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (208)fit for foodies (199)romantic (176)notable wine list (137)neighborhood gem (70)vibrant bar scene (56)hot spot (47)good for groups (33)late-night find (28)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Stressful dining for Opening NightDonfVIPDined on 9/5/2014Once again Jardiniere was a major disappointment on opening night of the Opera. The food quality has certainly improved and the number and professionalism of the servers was outstanding. But on a night when management knows the house will be full and the kitchen is going to get slammed, a great kitchen staff will make sure everyone is fed in a very timely manner. Waiting an hour and ten minutes for an entree is absurd. This is the second Opera Opening Night the kitchen has made the dining experience a nail biter. Sorry, love the space, the service staff is now great, but because of a poorly managed kitchen the experience was very stressful, once again. Sorry, but for me two stressful experiences is one too many.Special Features:
- Great service!slwilsonVIPDined on 9/4/2014We love this restaurant, but unfortunately the salmon was over-cooked and the hen pasta was a little plain. The stuffed rabbit was amazing. Service, drinks, and cheese plate were as good as ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wear Something Warm Tho'gslover60VIPDined on 9/3/2014We began with caipirinhas, which aren't on the menu but our request was immediately greeted with "Of course." The caipirinhas were excellent, as was the wine we chose. Warm delicious bread was placed on the table within a few minutes of our being seated. I had the tuna crude with horseradish sauce and it was the best tuna I can recall eating. I followed with a pasta dish of chanterelle mushrooms and pork. Often pasta dishes taste alike, but the pasta dish my husband had differed completely, although both were excellent.Special Features:
- exquisite and specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014The food at Jardiniere is always a huge treat. Every morsel is perfectly prepared and the service is attentive and kindly. The ambience always feels festive.Special Features:
- Perfect for Celebrations!bruinfood11Dined on 9/2/2014My family and I chose Jardiniere to celebrate mine, my mom's and my boyfriend's birthdays. It was one of the best dining experiences I have had. When they called to confirm my reservation, they asked for the spellings of all those who would be celebrating a birthday, which I thought was a wonderful touch. We started with drinks in the bar, where the bartender gave us wonderful recommendations for cocktails. After we moved into the restaurant, we were impressed with our server, who expertly explained the menu. The sommelier stopped by to recommend wine for the menu, and we loved the amuse bouches they sent out. The meal was so delicious. Finally, we ended with dessert, where they included all our names on the plates.Special Features:
- weird eveningnigel54Dined on 8/31/2014No one on check in desk, get own drinks from bar. After seated 20 mins before server arrived. The place was quiet so why? Only one first course arrived. Of the 4 main courses on offer one was off as we were told 30 mins into the meal. Second courses arrived without the side orders, they came after we finished. Wine waiter invited one of our party to taste the wine and then did not bother to ask if fine before pouring out to all The food when it arrived was good but just totally unacceptable management.Special Features:
- great anniversary dinnerEricVIPDined on 8/31/2014Did the tasting menu, which was great and comparatively well priced. Upstairs along the railing there are several great tables for two. Sommelier was great too.Special Features:
- hhamDined on 8/31/2014very helpful staff - starting with my calling in both late for the reservation and lost- with accomodating me and giving great directions the wine list is extensive and lovely the food wonderful. my dinner partner is vegetarian and had a wide choice too gorgeous setting with balcony seating over the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to take a date!OpsmanDined on 8/30/2014The service is impeccable! The best! The food was fantastic and presentation was very well done. I highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a higher standard of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AtackedImprovingDined on 8/30/2014We were reviewing the cocktail and wine list and we accosted by a woman. Not sure if she was the sommelier or manager - for us to make a selection. She really disrupted a nice evening. In contrast, the waiter was great and very helpful. The entrees were terrific, except the chicken was unremarkable- I expected more. The deserts were over engineered. Too many competing flavors/textures. I hope it was an off night, because previous dinners have been great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingly ConsistentMITONELOVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food at each course. Made sure that every diner had some food in front of them at each course. Timely wine service/refills.Special Features:
- Fabulous MealHaveForkWillTravelVIPDined on 8/30/2014I hadn't eaten here in years, and now I wonder why I didn't eat here sooner. Tremendous meal, greate service and excellent wine list.Special Features:
- FantasticLuvwineVIPDined on 8/27/2014What a pleasant experience in this elegant restaurant. Everyone knew the food and wine, they were great.Special Features:
- Perfect!FancnanVIPDined on 8/27/2014Rarely do my husband and I feel like we have a perfect meal. Well, this was it! It started the moment we entered the restaurant and continued until we left. Perfect food and service. Friendly but not intrusive wait staff. This is definitely on the same level as Danko's and the other find restaurants of San Francisco and the wine country. We got the tasting menu and wine flights which are expensive, but in the right price range for this kind of restaurant. We'll be back!Special Features:
- CustomerGiantsFanDined on 8/24/2014While the food was good, portions are small and selection limited. Our waiter was terrible, very affected, condescending and spoke fast, like he was reading from a script, such that he was hard to understand. He detracted from the experience so much that I will probably not choose this restaurant in the future. I was the one in our group of 6 that picked this restaurant, and was embarrassed by the experience. High prices for a disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Great food, but bad & weird & slowBilly2013VIPDined on 8/22/2014As above, Traci gone all the time nowadays, so really bad & slow & weird & disjointed service. Waiter awkward & disappeared most of evening :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiePhylFoodiePhylDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful meal as usual, however very disappointed they no longer accept the Passport dining card. We give this card as a gift to us clients and always tell them about Jardiniere being a supporter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE . . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 8/16/2014Jardiniere is located in a beautiful brick landmark building and offers a First Class Experience from start to finish. A majority of tables surround and overlook the absolutely stunning bar below and they do offer booths as well. The waitstaff at Jardiniere is beyond excellent and they know the menu intimately. The food at Jardiniere is a culinary work of art, presented with just the right portions and pacing between courses. The variety on the menu offers something for everyone. The Corn Soup ($14) was excellent, Risotto ($19 / $25) was over the top and the Duck Breast ($30) was simply outrageous. The new GM should help with off nights, that all restaurants can have. Valet parking ($15) or a parking garage that's literally next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CitiGirlVIPDined on 8/11/2014After an odd experience last week, it was back to wonderful!Special Features:
- Try the Monday night prix fixeDrSlewDined on 8/11/2014Three courses with wine pairings so we could try all their amazing food for $55. The cocktails were excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan1Dined on 8/11/2014Very enjoyable expereince. Staff is very professional and caringSpecial Features:
- Favorite SF RestaurantMitchDined on 8/8/2014Jardineire was our hands-down choice for 20th anniversary romantic celebration. We ordered the Chief's Tasting Menu and relied on wine recommendations from our server. Every single course was a visual and culinary work of art and we could debate for days to determine our favorite. The wine was outstanding and matched the meal quite well. We appreciated the surprise tastes in between some of the courses. And, it was a very classy touch to comp us on dessert wine and also to inscribe our hazelnut mousse plates with an anniversary message in dark chocolate. The pacing of the meal was just perfect. We never felt rushed, yet the server ensured that all was served within the 2 hours we had available before theatre. I look forward to more!Special Features:
- oknaninniVIPDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant is really a cozy comfortable venue. and the food was very good with proper size proportions. Wine list very expensive. Just felt it was missing something. also felt bread on request is not proper (not sure if they charge for it-and would have felt embarrassed to say no we don't want great if there was a charge ( only wanted 1 small piece)- we waited over 20 minutes for the appetizer and just didn't want to drink up the expensive wine without food to go with it. so we were 2 people- 1 appetizer to share pedron pepper w/charred octopus-outstanding entree was the duck. and the lamb- both very good and again proper portion- so not sure why the waiter tried to persuade us to order a side of vegetablel with them -Special Features:
- ExtraordinaryMikeSFDined on 8/6/2014Dining at Jardiniere is a culinary adventure. From the appetizer through the dessert, the incredible flavors of each dish are to be savored. We have dined here before but this was the first time I tried the Risotto. It was simply the best that I have ever tasted, which did not surprise me. The service, as always, was superb: attentive and graciously friendly without being overbearing. When we received a confirmation call regarding our reservation, my wife mentioned that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The shared desert plate we were served had "Happy Anniversary" inscribed very elegantly in chocolate. We simply love this place.Special Features:
- OverratedGeneralVIPDined on 8/4/2014I've heard such a good things about this place that I was expecting a fantastic restaurant. This place is clearly overrated. The food is ok, but not great and the price does not correspond to the qualitiy of the food (too high). I think there are much better restaurants in SF where you can enjoy great food and celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- bruceDined on 8/4/2014Our new go-to restaurant for special occasions! Incredibly imaginative chef.Special Features:
- What a Strange Experience!CitiGirlVIPDined on 8/4/2014We love Jardiniere. We are regulars. Everything is always lovely: the food, the service, the ambiance, etc. That is what makes the experience this Monday particularly strange. Twice, it took us almost 10 minutes of starring and waving just to catch the attention of one of the numerous servers swarming the floor. Most of the servers know us, some by name, and yet we could not have been more invisible. Ten minutes of focused effort to get more water. Ten more to get more wine. It really put a damper on a delicious meal. Still going back next week. We'll see how it goes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningTzipiDined on 8/2/2014I expected the food to be excellent, and it was. It met all of my expectations. I had discussed a special menu for my grandson and I was very impressed that our waiter was aware of what was ordered and handled it perfectly. There was no, "Oh, I'll check with the kitchen," or anything like that. It was seamless and I am very appreciative of that. The dishes prepared for him were perfect. The wait staff were beyond excellent. I was very impressed. The ambiance lent itself for a very relaxed and comfortable evening.Special Features:
- Amazing fresh food!RosalindDined on 8/1/2014Overall a superb high end dining experience. Food was exceptional. Wine excellent, a bit pricey. Overall, an excellent restaurant for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- preBeethovendiscoverSFDined on 8/1/2014Dined at Jardiniere prior to the SF Symphony production of Beethoven's Fifth and more. In SF the fact that valet parking was the same price for the whole evening would have been enough of a draw, but combined with outstanding food, great service and a quiet place to eat dinner and converse made the evening memorable. The servers knew of our plans across the street at Davies and were spot on. The courses seemed perfectly timed and there was never any feeling of being rushed. Wine service was first rate, easy to see why Jennifer is the new wine director.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RetiredDined on 8/1/2014We found Jardinaire to be delightful. Somewhat pricy but actually worth the money. The atmosphere was very relaxed, the staff very attentive, and the food excellent.Special Features:
- Great spotmanny108VIPDined on 7/30/2014If you're going to the theatre or just want to celebrate, Jardiniere is always a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 3110 reviews are from the Jardiniere reviews archive.
- Best dinner and wine pairing!OaklandRRVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have often dined at Jardiniere for their 3 course fixed price Monday dinners before other events at Civic Center. The Monday dinner this week was the best I have had. It was a winemaker dinner, featuring Mt. Beautiful wines. From the rabbit loin served with Sauvignon Blanc, to the port chop served with Pinot Noir followed by almond cake served with Pinot Gris-each course was heightened by the wine chosen. The wait staff at Jardiniere is always excellent, from the moment you are greeted at the door and seated, through dinner service. Attentive but not hovering. I look forward to my next Monday night meal at Jardiniere and looking for Mt Beautiful wines at a local wine shop.Special Features:
- Great service good foodDaveDined on 7/26/2014Classic french restaurant, the service is outstanding, waiters don't bother you too much, although they are always available when you need them. They can suggest very good wine that compliments the meal. The place is pricey, but it definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Great findDrMooVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I encountered this restaurant at a food event and decided to dine at the restaurant. We decided to go à la carte and our waiter was incredibly helpful in describing the dishes and briefly explaining the menu (the menu is simple, but the explanation really guided us in ordering). We shared the charcuterie plate, which was excellent and I chose to just have an entrée, while my wife had a small plate and a pasta. When they brought my wife's small plate, they provided me with a complimentary consommé, which was very good. When my entrée and my wife's pasta arrived, they were both prepared perfectly and were delicious. They were also excellent at suggesting a pairing of wine with the meal. I would highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPearseVIPDined on 7/23/2014We went here for a birthday dinner and had a lovely experience. The staff was incredibly helpful and attentive very question was answered about the wine list and menu even before we asked on most items. In all the food was delicious, the wine list was extensive, and the service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Past gloriesOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/23/2014Not what it used to be. Menu options limited, small portions, but the setting is niceSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!nottoobiziliziDined on 7/22/2014Kudos to the chef! Outstanding and unique French cooking. We ordered appetizers, an octopus pasta (our favorite!) and a chicken entree with amazing frites, dessert. We shared everything and the restaurant split dishes for us. So we didn't over indulge, but came away very satisfied, and got to try many items. The service was excellent and unrushed. We had a romantic table for two overlooking the bar. For parking, to our surprise, the Valet cost $15, same as the garage next door, our car was waiting for us after the concert at Davies, and we drove off while the crowd was still pouring in to the garage to get their car.Special Features:
- Before the showJeanneDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is right across the street from the opera house and the S.F. SYMPHONY venues. Great food and a perfect place to go before the showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected Excellence Was DeliveredOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Overall: You pay for it, but it's well worth it. Jardiniere is formal, yet approachable. The real gem is the drinks and food. You are presented with a formidable number of wine and spirit choices. I did a scotch flight, but they can do a flight on any type of liquor you like. My wife had a glass of the Riesling, which was good enough for a refill request. In contrast, the food menu is simple and elegant. The a la carte choices are satisfying and delicious. I have yet to try the tasting menu, but honestly, it's only a bit more expensive than going a la carte, so we will try that next time.Special Features: