300 Grove St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jardiniere.com/
- Phone: (415) 861-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner reservations can be made Sun-Thurs: 5:00pm-9:00pm Fri and Sat: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Morgan Mueller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are available for lunch or dinner receptions through our special events manager, Nicole Yasinsac. firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Jardiniere
Jardiniere, opened in 1997, is housed in a beautiful landmark building in San Francisco's chic Hayes Valley neighborhood. Highlights of the elegant setting include a gorgeous bar and stunning staircase. The highly refined and sensual food of Chef/Owner Traci Des Jardins is a celebration of Northern California's best seasonal bounty prepared with classic French technique. The J Lounge features a full list of specialty cocktails and wines, and offers a variety of creative lounge food and small plates. Its proximity to the theaters makes it an excellent place to dine before or after a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Jardiniere reviews from OpenTable diners
277 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (205)fit for foodies (195)romantic (172)notable wine list (135)neighborhood gem (69)vibrant bar scene (56)hot spot (45)good for groups (32)late-night find (27)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent service!TomBDined on 10/10/2014Arrived early and seated early. Popular restaurant located next to Davies a Symphony Hall and War Memorial Opera House. Valet parking for the events at $15. Great menu. My wife had the risotto- slightly salty. I had the chicken which was delicious. Our server, Aaron, made this visit most memorable. Congenial, and thoughtful. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014We have been dining here for several years and Jardiniere has been consistent in the quality of food and service. It will continue to be our choice before opera and symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DidierVIPDined on 10/9/2014Food was great, and sometimes you feel the level of noise is little bit high, but overall it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Pre Theater DinnerCateDined on 10/9/2014Superb dinner in all respects. Fantastic tomato polenta soup with goat cheese and croutons; duck with mole sauce also fantastic: both in presentation and in taste. Very knowledgeable servers; wine by the glass selection is pricey but terrific-- the French Pinot Noir (Fixin) was an outstanding match for the duck.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014Tried the tasting menu. Was full by fourth course of wagyu beef. 3 complimentary dishes was a plus.impeccable serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014My wife and I made reservations before an opera at the War Memorial. The waiter's first question was, were we there for a show? So that he could make sure we got out on time. His table manner was personable and professional and a complete command of the menu and wine as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestPharmaphoodieDined on 10/7/2014Jardinare was exactly as billed, the best French restaurant outside of France. The Duck and Lamb was the best I have ever had and the service was second to none. I can't wait until my next experience at Jardinare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly perfectMooseDined on 10/7/2014I have given the maximum 5 stars, and would give more stars if such was possible. Weather cold and windy, we were ushered in before they were fully set up and seated in a luxurious ground floor area at the foot of the stairs. In short time were were accompanied to the balcony, given a "ringside" table for 2 overlooking the entire restaurant and bar. Zack suggested the perfect wine, mushroom tea and other prelims set the top notch meal experience. Lamb was tender and flavorful, all food presentation was outstanding. Five cheeses after meal were a real treat. Bravo to this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special diningSFFoodieDined on 10/5/2014You will be well taken care of while at an evening at Jardiniere. Excellent food, beautifully presented, and delicious tasting. Each dish coming out with great anticipation, well paced meal, and just enough. Everything one could ask for during a special occasion.Special Features:
- The best way to end our SF tripcmola77Dined on 10/4/2014Got a recommendation from a friend regarding Jardiniere. It was exactly what we were hoping for. Great dinner, awesome wine list plus desert. The staff was outstanding and being able to use OpenTable to review the bill and pay was awesome.Special Features:
- Excellent food near Civic CtrJohnBVIPDined on 10/4/2014Jardiniere is an upscale California style restaurant near Opera and Symphony. Food is impeccably prepared - service is excellent - and you often find unique offerings on the menu. Examples - on our recent visit we tried smoked salmon with avocado for starters and ended up with hazelnut mousse for dessert. Both were excellent and I don't believe you will find either on anyone else's menu. Jardiniere is pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Pre-Opera DiningFabulousFoodie58Dined on 10/4/2014As was evidenced by the numerous diners waiting out front minutes before 5:00PM when I arrived, Jardiniere is certainly the dining location of choice of opera fans. The ambience, food and service do not disappoint and in fact are superb. Our waitperson had perfect pitch with regard to her level of oversight and her suggestions. The sommelier was wonderful as was the person who seated us. Dining here prior to viewing a magnificent operatic performance makes for a truly idyllic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very High End dinningcbreedDined on 9/27/2014expensive but truly worth it. The tasting menu was great.Special Features:
- Dining1234Dined on 9/27/2014This was excellent dining close to the opera and symphony. The service was wonderful, as was the food. Ajnd the first thing they ask is if you're attending either the symphony or opera so they get you there on time. Also, you can valet park your car there for the entire evening, an added plus. And the restaurant itself is beautiful I highly recommend Jardiniere.Special Features:
- DelightfulMissPinkDined on 9/26/2014Jardiniere was a delightful experience. All around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCheersDined on 9/25/2014We enjoyed every portion of the menu and a selection of fine wines paired with our meal. Valet parking only; $15.00 due to very limited on street spots available. Portion sizes were prefect for the number of courses eaten. Not a bad bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoopCoopVIPDined on 9/25/2014Wonderful food, service and ambiance, always. Owned and well managed by same people since opening and repeat business constantly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not so greatWickedVIPDined on 9/25/2014I've been to Jardiniere a few times and do enjoy the food there. With recent visits the service seems to be going down hill. Our waiter this time was not attentive and when he was helping us very impersonal and not friendly. Our sommelier on the other hand was very nice, professional, knowledgable and friendly. I was happy she offset the poor service our waiter have us that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!PerfectDined on 9/24/2014What can I say Jard just delivers I have eaten here before and should eat here more often. The place is the whole package we were welcomed right when we arrived. Had a wonderful drink at the bar with a friendly bartender. Then moved upstairs for dinner and what a dinner it was everything was spot on. The food was awesome and the service matched the food. We also did the wine pairing and it complemented the food every time. Beautiful space, delicious food, great service and wonderful wine. What else can I say but Awesome Awesome Awesome!Special Features:
- Always exceeds expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/24/2014I've been coming here for years and have always had fantastic food, wine and cocktails. Service is what sets Jardiniere apart from other outstanding restaurants. Staff are friendly, warm and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Congenial atmosphere.FastForwardDined on 9/22/2014If you want to make someone feel special, this is the go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014We had a great evening. From the ambiance, to the food and the service all went perfectly. We've been before and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First but hopefully the lastbetbezejDined on 9/19/2014I've long been a fan of Jardiniere. The food is wonderful, the ambiance is perfect for any occasion, and the service perfect. That service was noticeably lacking last Friday night before the opera. Even though the staff was aware of our 7:30 curtain, the long delay after our 1st course left us with 30 minutes to finish the meal. The lead server never stopped by to explain the delay or apologize until I flagged him. Well aware of our curtain time he even added that we might have time for dessert - if we hurried... It was no busier than it's ever been when symphony and opera are in season, and staffing seemed at full force so I'm not sure what went wrong. I'll return again but it's the first strike against my favorite SF restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Mehmmsf1987VIPDined on 9/18/2014For the prices they charge, I didn't find the food to be very interesting. Service was excessively attentive.Special Features:
- iluvfoodDined on 9/17/2014After the show, table for two birthday celebration dinner. We were welcomed with open door, they knew who we were, and from there treated like royalty. Chose the paring dinner. Wines perfect with 8 course chef selected meal. Our favorite and would be requested as a last supper was the Tuna an Wagyu Striploin. The taste still lingers... impeccable evening impeccable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Enjoyable!veroVIPDined on 9/16/2014We dine here regularly. Perhaps because this was a Tuesday evening, my "vegetarian" selection was very, very salty and a lot of oil was used in the salad. May be a different chef during the week. However, the experience is always a positive, wait staff excellent! Wine selection excellent!Special Features:
- Fantastic foodHoneymoonersDined on 9/15/2014Food and wine both fantastic and very good value (Monday night fixed price menu). Service from our main waiter was slow and stuffy although host, bar staff and other waiters all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Monday NightssfjeffDined on 9/15/2014I went for the Monday night pre-set menu, and it was fantastic. Totally worth doing.Special Features:
- Still at the top of their gameWhiskeySteveDined on 9/15/2014Went to the 17th anniversary of Jardinière. I cannot say enough about how the food was just perfect. First course: Duck Confit Salad. Nobody does duck better than Traci. (I was at the closing of Fleur de Lys and they had duck and it was on the rubbery side.) Second course: 10 hour short rib. SOOO tender and flavorful, no knife needed. Served with potato mousseline and consommé. Out of this world. Third course: Apple tart. Awesome. Service was, as always, impeccable. (Michael- server 1071, and Joanna at the bar.) I have been enjoying le Jardinière since 2004 when I worked in the area. I've been to all of the top restaurants in SF, and TDJ and company are still THE BEST.Special Features:
- Hawaii28VIPDined on 9/14/2014Chef has not miss a beat. It has been years since I have been here but the food is still outstanding and the service was even betterSpecial Features:
- Jardiniere Tasting MenujmkfDined on 9/14/2014The tasting menu was superb - however as we were treated to SO MANY amuse bouches (thank you Chef!) the two ladies in the group were not able to eat every single course! The gentleman enjoyed everything and all of us cleaned our plates for the first 4 courses! The tuna was a little salty, otherwise it was a superb meal. We are more accustomed to smaller portions in tasting mebus we have tried around the world. At Jardiniere the portions (particularly in the meat courses) were a little too large. The service was attentive and yet non-intrusive. Just what we like. Bravo and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True French Theme at Jardiniereopentabler7VIPDined on 9/14/2014Just got back from France and Paris dining and this really has the true French spirit and taste. I was here years ago and loved it and finally returned. Exquisite tomato salad and short rib and perfect dessert. Great wines and cocktail lists. Very friendly professional service. They just passed their 17th anniversary on Monday. I hope they continue many years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasioniheartsf415Dined on 9/13/2014Spent a memorable dinner for my mom's 80th Birthday. Everything about this restaurant was wonderful. Our server was full of knowledge, very kind and down-to-earth. We had a few "compliments from the chef" tastings that surprised us, and everything that we had on our palate knocked us out the park, and left us blown away. I would love to recommend this place to anyone who is celebrating something special - a big birthday, an engagement, a wedding anniversary, etc. Ambience was so beautiful with warm lighting and the dome ceiling that resembles the sky... Thank you Traci des Jardins, Matt and Morgan, and all of the crucial staff that make this place stunning in so many different ways.Special Features:
- SlippingThatsItVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was just ok.Not great, not bad..For the price the food has to be better. Great wine list.Special Features:
- Great Service Trumps Odd MenuLeimyDined on 9/10/2014Had been a while since visiting Jardiniere and found the format changes to the menu were a bit challenging. There were fewer appetizer options (and we like ordering a bunch of different appetizers), and the range of entrees seemed narrower. My friend and I were hard pressed to find something appealing (not too heavy before an opera). The waiter, however, explained some of the appetizers a bit more fully and we were delighted with the few choices he highlighted and some of the side dishes proved more like appetizers. Had he not intervened, we might not be recommending a visit to friends. So the lesson here is to ask for help. The wait staff is very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- JardiniereKiwiDined on 9/6/2014Poor service, great food- that which arrived! Disappointing after the commentary on this restaurant.
- Does not get much betterStanleyDined on 9/6/2014As always, food was a real delight and suggested wine pairings were spot-on. My roasted duck combo was superb, rest of the party was happy with their plates too. Will be back - my daughter is yet to try that bacon-wrapped rabbit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment from old favorite...PamelaJVIPDined on 9/6/2014Up to this visit, Jardiniere was one of our favorites, especially for dinner before the theater. I'm not sure what happened, but the service this time was substandard and the food was just okay. The desserts were great, but the entrées and sides, in particular, were ho hum. In the past, the service has been exceptional (even with a theater crowd on a Saturday night), but this time we had to remind them about my husband's cocktail, we never got asked if we wanted seconds on bread, we had to waive a waiter down to ask for coffee refills (and it was really hard to get their attention), and we were given the check about an hour before the theater without being asked how things were, if we wanted anything more, etc. Not sure if we'll return.
- Stressful dining for Opening NightDonfVIPDined on 9/5/2014Once again Jardiniere was a major disappointment on opening night of the Opera. The food quality has certainly improved and the number and professionalism of the servers was outstanding. But on a night when management knows the house will be full and the kitchen is going to get slammed, a great kitchen staff will make sure everyone is fed in a very timely manner. Waiting an hour and ten minutes for an entree is absurd. This is the second Opera Opening Night the kitchen has made the dining experience a nail biter. Sorry, love the space, the service staff is now great, but because of a poorly managed kitchen the experience was very stressful, once again. Sorry, but for me two stressful experiences is one too many.Special Features:
- Great service!slwilsonVIPDined on 9/4/2014We love this restaurant, but unfortunately the salmon was over-cooked and the hen pasta was a little plain. The stuffed rabbit was amazing. Service, drinks, and cheese plate were as good as ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.