300 Grove St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jardiniere.com/
- Phone: 4158615555x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner reservations can be made Sun-Thurs: 5:00pm-9:00pm Fri and Sat: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Morgan Mueller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are available for lunch or dinner receptions through our special events manager, Nicole Yasinsac. email@example.com
A word from Jardiniere
Jardiniere, opened in 1997, is housed in a beautiful landmark building in San Francisco's chic Hayes Valley neighborhood. Highlights of the elegant setting include a gorgeous bar and stunning staircase. The highly refined and sensual food of Chef/Owner Traci Des Jardins is a celebration of Northern California's best seasonal bounty prepared with classic French technique. The J Lounge features a full list of specialty cocktails and wines, and offers a variety of creative lounge food and small plates. Its proximity to the theaters makes it an excellent place to dine before or after a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Jardiniere reviews from OpenTable diners
276 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (196)fit for foodies (178)romantic (167)notable wine list (128)neighborhood gem (58)vibrant bar scene (58)late-night find (29)good for groups (25)hot spot (24)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Great food, but bad & weird & slowBilly2013VIPDined on 8/22/2014As above, Traci gone all the time nowadays, so really bad & slow & weird & disjointed service. Waiter awkward & disappeared most of evening :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiePhylFoodiePhylDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful meal as usual, however very disappointed they no longer accept the Passport dining card. We give this card as a gift to us clients and always tell them about Jardiniere being a supporter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CitiGirlVIPDined on 8/11/2014After an odd experience last week, it was back to wonderful!Special Features:
- Try the Monday night prix fixeDrSlewDined on 8/11/2014Three courses with wine pairings so we could try all their amazing food for $55. The cocktails were excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan1Dined on 8/11/2014Very enjoyable expereince. Staff is very professional and caringSpecial Features:
- Favorite SF RestaurantMitchDined on 8/8/2014Jardineire was our hands-down choice for 20th anniversary romantic celebration. We ordered the Chief's Tasting Menu and relied on wine recommendations from our server. Every single course was a visual and culinary work of art and we could debate for days to determine our favorite. The wine was outstanding and matched the meal quite well. We appreciated the surprise tastes in between some of the courses. And, it was a very classy touch to comp us on dessert wine and also to inscribe our hazelnut mousse plates with an anniversary message in dark chocolate. The pacing of the meal was just perfect. We never felt rushed, yet the server ensured that all was served within the 2 hours we had available before theatre. I look forward to more!Special Features:
- oknaninniVIPDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant is really a cozy comfortable venue. and the food was very good with proper size proportions. Wine list very expensive. Just felt it was missing something. also felt bread on request is not proper (not sure if they charge for it-and would have felt embarrassed to say no we don't want great if there was a charge ( only wanted 1 small piece)- we waited over 20 minutes for the appetizer and just didn't want to drink up the expensive wine without food to go with it. so we were 2 people- 1 appetizer to share pedron pepper w/charred octopus-outstanding entree was the duck. and the lamb- both very good and again proper portion- so not sure why the waiter tried to persuade us to order a side of vegetablel with them -Special Features:
- ExtraordinaryMikeSFDined on 8/6/2014Dining at Jardiniere is a culinary adventure. From the appetizer through the dessert, the incredible flavors of each dish are to be savored. We have dined here before but this was the first time I tried the Risotto. It was simply the best that I have ever tasted, which did not surprise me. The service, as always, was superb: attentive and graciously friendly without being overbearing. When we received a confirmation call regarding our reservation, my wife mentioned that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The shared desert plate we were served had "Happy Anniversary" inscribed very elegantly in chocolate. We simply love this place.Special Features:
- OverratedGeneralVIPDined on 8/4/2014I've heard such a good things about this place that I was expecting a fantastic restaurant. This place is clearly overrated. The food is ok, but not great and the price does not correspond to the qualitiy of the food (too high). I think there are much better restaurants in SF where you can enjoy great food and celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- bruceDined on 8/4/2014Our new go-to restaurant for special occasions! Incredibly imaginative chef.Special Features:
- What a Strange Experience!CitiGirlVIPDined on 8/4/2014We love Jardiniere. We are regulars. Everything is always lovely: the food, the service, the ambiance, etc. That is what makes the experience this Monday particularly strange. Twice, it took us almost 10 minutes of starring and waving just to catch the attention of one of the numerous servers swarming the floor. Most of the servers know us, some by name, and yet we could not have been more invisible. Ten minutes of focused effort to get more water. Ten more to get more wine. It really put a damper on a delicious meal. Still going back next week. We'll see how it goes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningTzipiDined on 8/2/2014I expected the food to be excellent, and it was. It met all of my expectations. I had discussed a special menu for my grandson and I was very impressed that our waiter was aware of what was ordered and handled it perfectly. There was no, "Oh, I'll check with the kitchen," or anything like that. It was seamless and I am very appreciative of that. The dishes prepared for him were perfect. The wait staff were beyond excellent. I was very impressed. The ambiance lent itself for a very relaxed and comfortable evening.Special Features:
- Amazing fresh food!RosalindDined on 8/1/2014Overall a superb high end dining experience. Food was exceptional. Wine excellent, a bit pricey. Overall, an excellent restaurant for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- preBeethovendiscoverSFDined on 8/1/2014Dined at Jardiniere prior to the SF Symphony production of Beethoven's Fifth and more. In SF the fact that valet parking was the same price for the whole evening would have been enough of a draw, but combined with outstanding food, great service and a quiet place to eat dinner and converse made the evening memorable. The servers knew of our plans across the street at Davies and were spot on. The courses seemed perfectly timed and there was never any feeling of being rushed. Wine service was first rate, easy to see why Jennifer is the new wine director.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RetiredDined on 8/1/2014We found Jardinaire to be delightful. Somewhat pricy but actually worth the money. The atmosphere was very relaxed, the staff very attentive, and the food excellent.Special Features:
- Great spotmanny108VIPDined on 7/30/2014If you're going to the theatre or just want to celebrate, Jardiniere is always a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner and wine pairing!OaklandRRVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have often dined at Jardiniere for their 3 course fixed price Monday dinners before other events at Civic Center. The Monday dinner this week was the best I have had. It was a winemaker dinner, featuring Mt. Beautiful wines. From the rabbit loin served with Sauvignon Blanc, to the port chop served with Pinot Noir followed by almond cake served with Pinot Gris-each course was heightened by the wine chosen. The wait staff at Jardiniere is always excellent, from the moment you are greeted at the door and seated, through dinner service. Attentive but not hovering. I look forward to my next Monday night meal at Jardiniere and looking for Mt Beautiful wines at a local wine shop.Special Features:
- Great service good foodDaveDined on 7/26/2014Classic french restaurant, the service is outstanding, waiters don't bother you too much, although they are always available when you need them. They can suggest very good wine that compliments the meal. The place is pricey, but it definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Great findDrMooVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I encountered this restaurant at a food event and decided to dine at the restaurant. We decided to go à la carte and our waiter was incredibly helpful in describing the dishes and briefly explaining the menu (the menu is simple, but the explanation really guided us in ordering). We shared the charcuterie plate, which was excellent and I chose to just have an entrée, while my wife had a small plate and a pasta. When they brought my wife's small plate, they provided me with a complimentary consommé, which was very good. When my entrée and my wife's pasta arrived, they were both prepared perfectly and were delicious. They were also excellent at suggesting a pairing of wine with the meal. I would highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPearseVIPDined on 7/23/2014We went here for a birthday dinner and had a lovely experience. The staff was incredibly helpful and attentive very question was answered about the wine list and menu even before we asked on most items. In all the food was delicious, the wine list was extensive, and the service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Past gloriesOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/23/2014Not what it used to be. Menu options limited, small portions, but the setting is niceSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!nottoobiziliziDined on 7/22/2014Kudos to the chef! Outstanding and unique French cooking. We ordered appetizers, an octopus pasta (our favorite!) and a chicken entree with amazing frites, dessert. We shared everything and the restaurant split dishes for us. So we didn't over indulge, but came away very satisfied, and got to try many items. The service was excellent and unrushed. We had a romantic table for two overlooking the bar. For parking, to our surprise, the Valet cost $15, same as the garage next door, our car was waiting for us after the concert at Davies, and we drove off while the crowd was still pouring in to the garage to get their car.Special Features:
- Before the showJeanneDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is right across the street from the opera house and the S.F. SYMPHONY venues. Great food and a perfect place to go before the showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected Excellence Was DeliveredOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Overall: You pay for it, but it's well worth it. Jardiniere is formal, yet approachable. The real gem is the drinks and food. You are presented with a formidable number of wine and spirit choices. I did a scotch flight, but they can do a flight on any type of liquor you like. My wife had a glass of the Riesling, which was good enough for a refill request. In contrast, the food menu is simple and elegant. The a la carte choices are satisfying and delicious. I have yet to try the tasting menu, but honestly, it's only a bit more expensive than going a la carte, so we will try that next time.Special Features:
- Food Superb Service PretentiousTardigradeVIPDined on 7/15/2014We don't get to Jardiniere often; we try to avoid it during opera season, since it is very crowded and noisy then. Here in mid-summer this time, and our waiter apparently thought we were a pair of pig farmers from Iowa.He launched into an explanation of the menu, which we halted about minute into it, but he kept showing his superior knowledge for the next 1 1/2 hours of dining, despite our attempts to shut him up. When we were leaving he smirked "Have a nice trip home." and I answered "We are home, but we're leaving soon for the opera season in Santa Fe." He looked stunned. This unacceptable in a great restaurant like Jadriniere. New Yorkers would eat him alive. I left him his 20% anyway (about $60 on a $250 tab for two, by the way).Special Features:
- Fun Prix FixeJDdinerDined on 7/14/2014We went for the Monday prix fixe menu. A fun experience. It gave us the chance to try a lot of new wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the Jardiniere I rememberWanderingWidowDined on 7/13/2014I've enjoyed many wonderful pre-performance dinners at Jardiniere over the years so I hope this was just an off night. The problem with the overly salted entree was compounded by the inattentive waiter.
- UnbelievablenolababyDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I had an incredible meal! I can't believe I waited 11 years to dine at Jardiniere!!! Every course was fantastic!Special Features:
- Absolutely excellentTWandMDVIPDined on 7/12/2014Delicious and creative menu options. Outstanding service. Days later, I'm still thinking about our dinner and experience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive TreatmoreplzDined on 7/10/2014I really wanted to have some delicious food and I'm glad I chose Jardiniere. The bar staff was friendly and our main waiter knew everything about every dish. We both really enjoyed our plates, however, I know it's pricey there, but the portion size! What can I say, I like to eat and taste, I don't think a second plate of charcuterie should be needed to have enough in my mouth to taste the flavors :( But they are all about customer service, when one drink took a while to prepare, they brought a second one (different distillery) at no charge. A fully enjoyed meal here could easily be your entertainment for the night, if you have the bankroll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentzorroVIPDined on 7/9/2014I take my clients to Jardiniere and I'm always certain the food and service will be excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Pre Opera DinnerSpartycalDined on 7/8/2014A great pre-opera dinner at Jardiniere. All courses were inventive, well prepared and delicious. Only glitch was that our server was slow to take a drink order, ended up taking our food order concurrently, and we were into the first course 5 or 10 minutes before my martini arrived. Not quite right for such a fine establishment, and we were not in a hurry to make the performance at all. Otherwise, very pleasant, as always.Special Features:
- Great meal!Paul27Dined on 7/8/2014We had it all, and all was great! The highlight was the fresh made garganelli pasta with charred squid and peppers...one of the best things ever made! Bon bouche for dessert gave us a 2-bite taste of 10 delicious treatsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodCaroDined on 7/7/2014Very good welcome, great association food-wine with an outstanding wine list, and good value for money with the three dishes menu on mondays! great experience in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!veroVIPDined on 7/5/2014Always consistent. Love the vegetarian pasta, excellently prepared; vegetables always al dente. Superb service!Special Features:
- Great dining pre-OperaMarkVIPDined on 7/5/2014Overall great experience. Very good menu and service.Special Features:
- Special ExperienceOperapassionateDined on 7/5/2014Usually when we go out to dinner at a "fancy" place, I'm constantly thinking about whether a restaurant is being pretentious (i.e. food not living up to the spin put out by the restaurant) or is just terrific. With Jardiniere, I stopped thinking about that one bite into the entree. Later, when desert came I was reduced to just "Wow".Special Features:
- Classic SF night outcichlisuiteVIPDined on 7/5/2014You step into the lovely dining room with the staircase that leads you to the tables above. Seated around atrium/bar surrounded by bricks and windows with summer evening turning into night is festive as can be. Start with champagne and some oysters and seasonal starters & entree. Each prepared perfectly...coupled with impeccable service. They source some herbs and flowers from rooftop garden as well as the honey for the dessert. Wrapped up the meal with hot tea and couple spoons of my husband's dessert...perfectly timed before the start of the opera. Classic SF night outSpecial Features:
- Fabulous FoodCareyDined on 7/1/2014I remember eating here 15 years ago. Once again the service and the food was outstanding. Upon entering, the hostess was warm and friendly. Then a gentleman led up upstairs to our table and welcomed us. I must say, Andrew was probably one of the best waiters I've experienced in a long time. He was warm, friendly, knowledgeable of all the dishes and professional at all levels! We had the artichoke for starters, the lamb and the duck for our entrees and the Chiboust for dessert. Every dish was simply mouth watering. The presentation was definitely a work of art! As we concluded the meal to get ready to see "Showboat", all of the staff that we crossed path with wished us a wonderful evening. What an experience!Special Features:
- Jardinaire is good not greatsfmomVIPDined on 7/1/2014We have gone to Jardinaire on a couple of occasions. Overall we find the food good but overpriced. The restaurant relies heavily on Opera, Symphony etc and yet the service is so slow, you nearly miss curtain. Our waiter was friendly but did not check in on us very often. The food was good but really nothing super special--and for what they charge it should be special. Some times we go to Jardinaire and it is outstanding. This most recent time was not as great. I don't know if our need to get to theater made the food not as good. I have noticed they have made the menu smaller again which leads to less options. The sommelier was helpful in wine choices and the wine was good. Overall we had a good time.Special Features: