300 Grove St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jardiniere.com/
- Phone: (415) 861-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner reservations can be made Sun-Thurs: 5:00pm-9:00pm Fri and Sat: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Morgan Mueller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are available for lunch or dinner receptions through our special events manager, Nicole Yasinsac. email@example.com
A word from Jardiniere
Jardiniere, opened in 1997, is housed in a beautiful landmark building in San Francisco's chic Hayes Valley neighborhood. Highlights of the elegant setting include a gorgeous bar and stunning staircase. The highly refined and sensual food of Chef/Owner Traci Des Jardins is a celebration of Northern California's best seasonal bounty prepared with classic French technique. The J Lounge features a full list of specialty cocktails and wines, and offers a variety of creative lounge food and small plates. Its proximity to the theaters makes it an excellent place to dine before or after a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Jardiniere reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (199)fit for foodies (188)romantic (167)notable wine list (132)neighborhood gem (68)vibrant bar scene (52)hot spot (44)good for groups (32)late-night find (26)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Prix FixeJudithDined on 11/17/2014Jardiniere has an excellent prix fixe meal on Monday nights, with a different theme each week. A wine pairing is included, making this a wonderful opportunity to try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday night prix fixe - amazing lamb & pairingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2014We had been wanting to go to the Monday night prix fixe dinner for a while. $55 with wine pairing. What an wonderful meal. The four of us had a beautiful table on the 2nd floor. Nice and quiet. and the food... tasty radicchio and escarole salad with tons of other bits and pieces, nuts, pomegranate seeds - normally just the kind of salad I hate but it was perfect and paired with a Greek wine I've never heard of. Main was lamb neck stew that was maybe the best thing I've ever eaten. The aroma when they brought the bowl ... wow. The desert was a (very small) quenelle of maple ice cream with apple French toast - like an apple pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jardiniere Is GreatGFOODVIPDined on 11/9/2014We always love going to Jardiniere, especially after the opera since it's perhaps the closest restaurant to the opera. It's fine dining all the way. And they make the best screwdriver in the city. They press an orange to make the juice, and then add excellent Russian Standard Vodka. The oysters were terrific. The scallops and short ribs were great. The Sea Urchin pasta dish was excellent. Lentil soup was unique and delicious along with the fried fennel and Persimmon salad. Now the duck fat fries were good, but nothing that unique to me. If you like French Fries, you'll love these. They were nice and crispy! But they're still French Fries. Overall, Jardiniere is one of the great restaurants of SF and continues to delight!Special Features:
- Worst service in 30 year of dining!apicVIPDined on 11/8/2014We used to eat here often before symphony/opera/ballet but never again. It has been going downhill for a year, but last night was the end. After 35 minutes with no bread, water, drinks, greeting, we got up to complain about our completely inattentive server. She then went from being inattentive to inattentive, deliberately slow & surly! No one else stepped into help despite our speaking to multiple people. Our server did not even try to offer us dessert menus because we were running so late for the opera despite a 2 hr 15 minute reservation. We literally had to beg someone for the bill to get to the opera. I've cancelled all our upcoming reservations. A complete embarrassment of a restaurant. Needs to be replaced b/c location is valuable!
- italiangemVIPDined on 11/7/2014Always sublime. Great after the Symphony or for a special occasion.Special Features:
- absolutely outstanding in every wayJmsfoVIPDined on 11/7/2014We were quite pleased with the excellent service from everyone. The Staff helped me celebrate my friend's birthday by brining him toys throughout the dinner that I had supplied: they didn't miss a beat!Special Features:
- Talked about it all the next dayDMinorDined on 11/6/2014Did the tasting menu with wine pairing. Great, well-orchestrated service. Amazing food and wine that kept coming and coming and coming. I'm a frequent business traveler to San Fran, and I rate my experience at Jardeniere among the top restaurant experiences to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TommieDined on 11/6/2014All was good, except the portions were quite small.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dinning experienceBevSVIPDined on 11/5/2014Excellent service. Food was delicious and nicely presented. It is quiet for conversation. Servers are well informed, friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggyVIPDined on 11/4/2014Consistently excellent and interesting- seasonal foods served with new twists on classical theme such as the celery root risotto I had.Special Features:
- Food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2014All menu items superb - there are no bad choices. Service is way above average. Staff is a well coordinated team and carefully trained.Special Features:
- Perhaps we got unluckyfoodieplussommVIPDined on 11/4/2014Very high quality restaurant in principle but something was off when we were there. All the food was extremely salty. Every single cooked dish (the salad was perfectly salted)! And this is coming from someone who really likes salt. We ordered a nice wine but except for the first pour, we poured the rest of the bottle ourselves. Most of the night, a big AC vent was blowing pretty hard over our table. Ambience is great and except for the inattention to wine pouring, service was very good. Will give it another chance but based on the great reputation I had higher expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Wonderful Food and Wine, made available by a courteous knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- OutstandingsteveDined on 11/1/2014What more can I say? I don't have any interest in writing a longer review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best meal of my life!smk2011VIPDined on 11/1/2014We were thoroughly blown away by the delectable flavors of the tasting menu! The care and craft of every single edible showed throughout the evening! Each course exhibited balanced flavor, texture and aesthetic appearance. The amuse bouches were a pleasant surprise! The service was impeccable... the staff performed like an expertly choreographed dance!Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014My sister and I had a night out without kids during my recent visit to San Francisco. Jardiniere was a wonderful choice. The food was delicious with perfect portion size. While we were tempted by the tasting menu we opted to choose our own dishes. We loved everything!Special Features:
- willpetVIPDined on 10/27/2014Very nice food with wine pairing. Monday night prix fix menu a great deal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaggieHeartMaggieHeartDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant never disappoints me, whether, I have a planned dinner with friends, a romantic dinner with my husband, or a quick nite-cap with girlfriends after the ballet or opera. The location is perfect, the staff always helpful and accommodating, while the menu is always perfect to my taste and needs: high quality fresh ingredients, imaginative preparations, contemporary in its cuisine and varied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysjazzfanDined on 10/25/2014Just had a wonderful dinner with my wife at Jardiniere. Everything about it was great. The thoughtful staff is friendly without being obsequious, attentive without hovering, and knows how to pace a meal for maximum enjoyment by the diners. One of our favorite restaurants in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty service, over seasoned meatTracyLDined on 10/25/2014We have been here many times. Most of the times we went on a whim and did not make rsvp and sat at the bar for dinner. Sad to say we received better service at the bar! My water cup was near empty and there was no refill and we bought the bottle water service too. I had the halibut and pasta. My husband had the risotto and chicken. Everything was cooked very well but very salty! We told the waitress that we are using open table with Apple pay and she has no idea what we meant. Need better training of the staff!Special Features:
- Another Great Meal at JardiniereccsouthbayDined on 10/25/2014Superb, beautifully prepared food (and drink) on a highly imaginative menu. ccs(Many of the ingredients are sustainably grown.) Service is attentive but not fussy. I can remember almost every meal I've eaten there. We always enjoy this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackDined on 10/25/2014We had not been in quite a while and wanted to share with special friends. It was as great as we remembered!!Special Features:
- Heavy on the sodium but goodLuckyDinerDined on 10/24/2014The sea bass, short ribs (be prepared for the salt), and tomato polenta soup were very well prepared.The vegetable side billed as cauliflower was half brocollini (not mentioned in the description) and was too salty to eat. Had our service person asked about the taste of food we would have told him. When he offered dessert we gave our comments about the vegetable. He claimed to have asked about the food, but he remembered incorrectly. He did take the item off of our bill. We were basically underwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All about the foodNameVIPDined on 10/24/2014The chanterelles were excellent in preparation and flavor - wonderful dish. Short ribs as the entree: good taste, tender, with an excellent sauce. My companion had the salmon and thought it was perfect; not overcooked, tender, outstanding taste. Excellent duck fat fries as a side. Green apple sorbet with yogurt was packed with a strong taste of green apple - excellent. The spice cake/asian pear was another winner. Bread: average, but not fatal since it's a side show to the main food. Service was fine; friendly, knowledgeable, if a bit over practiced as we saw him go through the same routine at the next table. Loved the interior design with the brick walls and muted colors. Glad we had a booth rather than a table near the center opening.
- One of San Francisco's BestSunshineVIPDined on 10/23/2014Love the ambiance, love the food, great service. We came here for our 33rd wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- MarionDined on 10/23/2014It is always a pleasure to dine at Jardiniere. The food and service are always very well done and it is an attractive restaurant.Special Features:
- most amazing meal ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014My mother and I had dinner here as part of our vacation plans (the first time to CA). I was aware of Chef de Jardine from several cooking shoes. We decided to do the tasting menu, and had the best meal of our lives! Everything was so expertly prepared and tasted amazing. The service was the best we have experienced, and we have been to many high end places. This is a must for anyone in the SF area that enjoys amazing food on a high scale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice in SFDoraesofDined on 10/19/2014Good and tasty food but a bit over-priced though. Not enough local wines for foreigners: as French people we would have liked to find more local wines (choice very limited) as we did not intend to drink French wine in SF ;-) The waiter knew that my husband and I were going to share both entrées and instead of putting both plates in the middle of the table, he brought 2 plates with half of the first entrée (I plate for each), then 2 others plates for the 2nd one. We did really appreciate such a nice attention. Overall, we had a very nice evening dinning at Jardinière.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing truffle dishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Brought a friend from Italy to enjoy the seasonal truffles - and Camille exclaimed it was the best farrow pasta with white truffles she's ever had! And this is a woman who's traveled the world in style. Brava!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/18/2014Jardiniere was absolutely lovely. The atmosphere was warm and club like. The food was fabulous. We did the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing. Every morsel was better than the last. I can't even single any one thing out because everything was soooo good. The wait staff was attentive without being intrusive and everyone was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and wines. Our waiter, Michael, was very personable and not in the least stuffy as some in higher end restaurants can be. He made our evening even more enjoyable. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- galtsgulchDined on 10/16/2014Great attention to the preparation, presentation and flavour profile of the menu items chosen. Service was professional, helpful, unobtrusive.Special Features:
- mona armstrongflygirlDined on 10/15/2014the food was as always great. the service was great the noise level was a bit much as I am partially deaf and its hard to hear my dining comppanion in a noisy room. the best thing about the meal was the mushroom tea. i would love to have the recipe.Special Features:
- bet for festive opera diningBravosVIPDined on 10/15/2014Best choice to create a romantic evening before the Symphony, Ballet or Opera. It sets the evening off to a great start, great dining experience and wonderful date night atmosphere. we love it.Special Features:
- LovelymccalmoVIPDined on 10/14/2014It's been around for a long time and it remains a great place to get outstanding food with friendly informed service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!gjdinesDined on 10/13/2014When I made he reservation I noted that is was for my wife's 40th birthday. When we checked in at the restaurant the greeter wished my wife happy birthday. Each employee that came to our table wished her happy birthday. We came on a Monday night where you have the option to get the 3-course meal for $55. Each course is paired with wine. Each course was excellent! I would highly recommend it! Our waters were always kept full. Our server was very friendly and she told us she was very happy working there. She said the chef/owner treats her employees very well. I was happy to hear that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- padcarVIPDined on 10/12/2014We go for dinner to Jardieniere often. This time the soup and appetizers were excellent. The pasta and risotto not to the standards we expect. The pasta was too salty. The service attentive as always!
- good atmosphere Ok foodyoshiloopDined on 10/12/2014I was looking for a good decor restaurant. it is small restaurant but nice atmosphere and very quiet. bit disappointed in dishes. portions are very small but that didn't bother me. they are french restaurant but sea urchin or risotto we've ordered didn't have good taste. not bad taste though not surprising good taste for the priceSpecial Features:
- Seriously?GoBartVIPDined on 10/11/2014Could not help but be disappointed with the experience at Jardiniere. The dishes were good, but there is no way they can justify the prices. The service was extremely slow. We waited at least 30 minutes between first and second course. The best thing about this restaurant is the decor. Go take a look at the cool bar, but don't waste your money. Shame on them.
- Excellent service!TomBDined on 10/10/2014Arrived early and seated early. Popular restaurant located next to Davies a Symphony Hall and War Memorial Opera House. Valet parking for the events at $15. Great menu. My wife had the risotto- slightly salty. I had the chicken which was delicious. Our server, Aaron, made this visit most memorable. Congenial, and thoughtful. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014We have been dining here for several years and Jardiniere has been consistent in the quality of food and service. It will continue to be our choice before opera and symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.