8225 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90048Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thejar.com/
- Phone: 3236556566x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday, 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Suzanne Tracht
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Jar comes to you! From intimate dinners for eight to large scale events for 200, we freshly prepare and serve your Jar favorites in the comfort of your own home, office or special event venue. Our professionally trained catering team has years of special event experience and know-how. And, we are ready to handle every facet of your event. Everything with the attention to detail and personalized service that you expect from Suzanne Tracht and her team! Give us a call or drop us a line for more details.
A word from Jar
Jar, the highly acclaimed restaurant by Chef Suzanne Tracht, is a modern day chophouse which fares great appetizers and salads, a la carte Broilers & Roasts, Braises & Sautes, supplemented by an array of sides and sauces, and dessert. Chef Suzanne Tracht and Chef de Cuisine Preech Narkthong continue to create a contemporary American cuisine with dishes that appeal to everyone. The room is infused with the artistry and flair of a 1940's Supper Club and the signature dishes have brought rave reviews for almost a decade. Be sure to join us for a stylish Brunch menu every Sunday, or a last minute dinner at Jar Bar / Lounge. Check our website for menus and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Jar reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (50)neighborhood gem (31)romantic (30)notable wine list (23)good for groups (13)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- What a pleasant surpriseLAGourmetVIPDined on 9/13/2014Fantastic food and service. Amazing flavor -- particularly the halibut special, the brussel sprouts and the salted carmel butterscotch pudding. Jonathan Gold of the L.A. Times had it in his top 30....it's higher in my bookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but PriceyMikeDined on 9/12/2014I have wanted to try this place for a while now. Went the other night with a friend and enjoyed the time there. My only issue was the price. Dinner for 2 with one drink each was $190 without a tip. That is just crazy. Will probably not go back but if you enjoy good food without a concern for the tab..by all means go.Special Features:
- highly overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014This is an unexceptional place, not worth the money.
- Food was excellentCpfreeDined on 9/5/2014The restaurant was very simple inside but the food was qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014Incredibly overpriced for what it is... delicious meat, but everything else did not meet my standards. I expected much more from this restaurant. I will never come back!Special Features:
- Best of the weekend!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The food is truly chef inspired! There were four of us and each person voted Jar's food the best of the weekend.( and we had a weekend of good food) Deviled eggs with crab, excellent start. The Pot Roast, the duck fried rice, the lobster coctail....the butterscotch salted carmel... you name it, it was awesome. We would be back to try all the other menu items we didn't eat on this trip. Service was A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jargusmanDined on 8/31/2014I have eaten at Jar since it opened, although its been a year since i was last there. While its always been good, this recent visit was remarkable. We were 6 people and ordered quite a lot of food, and very diversified. While it has a certain reputation for its meats the other dishes we had, especially the fish special was beyond anything we could hope for. It was also my wife's birthday and she loved it, as did our guests. I also wanted to mention the service was outstanding, and the staff made us feel even more special.We are big foodies and continue to try all the new places popping up in LA, at the end of the day Jar remains a favorite. Its definitely a go to place foe me today and most probably in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasha57Dined on 8/30/2014I love eating at Jar and go there for special occasions. The pot roast was excellent as well as the side dishes. The salads were a little disappointing. The Caesar salad dressing was not as good as I expected and the Iceberg salad was missing bacon crumbles otherwise it was good. Next time we will skip the salads and try other dishes. I still love the place!Special Features:
- HRleyDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food, service. Steaks were great. Creamed corn best in the universe. Quite pricey, even by LA standardsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Something LackingcarnivorcallingDined on 8/24/2014My family and I were disappointed with the porter house that we shared, it had striffen running throughout, making it a tough piece of meat to cut, let alone chew. I will say that our server went above and beyond, dealing with various food allergies. Plus she was very sweet. The ambiance was nice, but overall the food did not live up to the price.
- Still going strongSoccerrefVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had not been in awhile. We had a refreshing gimlet made with crushes cucumber, a glass of a good Gruner Veltliner, a special salad with haricots verbs and prosciutto (specials made it hard to choose), oysters, the famous pot roast, and the famous pork chop. Pork chop was overlooked but they replaced it with a perfectly cooked one immediately. By going early we avoided the noise. Very nice time. Will return.Special Features:
- Classic LA EateryCartoonGuyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great place to take business associates or to celebrate a special occasion. The food is terrific and the atmosphere is very inviting. Well worth the visit.Special Features:
- WonderfulMarkmanVIPDined on 8/10/2014As usual, this is a great restaurant with a outstanding brunch (dinner is also great, but this was a brunch day).... Spot on service and top notch food!Special Features:
- An old fav still impressesSureImSureDined on 8/9/2014We checked out a high-end place in BH for dinner, but based on its high prices we decided to sample a few small plates and cocktails and move on to something more substantial. Jar was just the ticket—a mix of substance, ambiance, quality, and the fact that these days you can get in at 9PM on a Saturday. Our steaks and pork chop were perfectly cooked and reasonably priced (less than you'd pay for at Fleming's, Ruth Chris' or Mastro's). They seem to rethought their wine list in recent years to make it more accessible and price friendly. I'm assuming to make it a place where regulars can go to and not feel pinched. We brought our own wine after making sure they didn't carry the same bottles. Finally, the service was good and really helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer SlumpFoodandfunlvrVIPDined on 8/8/2014This pretty reliable "supper club" was in free fall Friday night. 20 minutes to the first cocktail...and then they had to go back for remixing. Disappearing wait staff. But the magically yummy food and finally corrected booze made it all fun again.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant in L.A.RegiVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food, the service, the wine list the atmosphere are exceptional. This place makes me very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014As always Jar is the perfect place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud 'n ProudStoatDined on 8/1/2014Great food, terrific service, horribly overpriced drinks. $18.00 for a Manhattan is just gouging. But the worst thing is the noise level. It's really tough to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/31/2014Restaurant is excellent in every way and from start to finish. It's hard to beat this place -- high quality food, high quality service, great flavors. THIS is how a restaurant is done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinneraminlaVIPDined on 7/31/2014We went to Jar to celebrate my birthday, which was a wonderful way to spend my birthday. The food and service were excellent. It truly was a special evening.Special Features:
- so deliciousDWinNoHoDined on 7/21/2014The lobster prix fixe was an incredible treat! All was outstanding!Special Features:
- disappointingTerribleVIPDined on 7/20/2014I have had pretty good food at this spot over the years. I was hopeful about brunch, but frankly, it was just okay.
- UrbangirlDined on 7/20/2014Service was terrible. Took 25min to receive bar drink and then I was asked if I wanted to straight up or on the rocks ! Either over worked (appeared to be alone)or the wrong person for the job. Asked for some bread to accompany lunch. My companion is diabetic and couldn't eat the the sweet bread. " we don't serve bread til dinner ". I insisted that if bread was available at dinner then certainly they could toast a slice for her. The bread did not show up. I asked one of gentlemen helping her and it was out immediately.Special Features:
- High quality food & serviceboilingDDined on 7/18/2014Had another wonderful meal at Jar! They have a small, well thought out menu of delicious American comfort food -- love the pot roast and baked salmon -- served in a room that looks like it's straight out of MadMen. Really great cocktails & desserts, too. The highlight of this visit was our waiter -- I relied on him to make several choices for me. He was friendly, attentive, very decisive in his advice and didn't steer us wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7yr Old Requested For BirthdayLAFoodieVIPDined on 7/17/2014He had been to jar for his birthday as a 5 year old. Requested it again for his seventh. He's a foodie too. All good.
- always great!eatdrinkrepeatDined on 7/16/2014Been coming here for years and always have a wonderful dinner and time. Service is top notch and everyone is friendly. Must try the Brussels sprouts kimchee (perfect level of acidity to compliment a steak).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much too noisy for our group of 5OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014We chose to dine at Jar, because of its excellent chef and the traditional dining room and atmosphere. What we were no prepared for was the high noise level, which made dinner conversation very difficult. The waiter couldn't hear us and we couldn't hear the waiter. Please turn down then noise level. Thanks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeatyAnnaDined on 7/12/2014Great retro dinner. Be in the mood for meat as it's a chop house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Fad, Just Fantasticgood4uDined on 7/11/2014Jar has been around for a while and for good reason. It serves consistently good food in a very attractive setting. It's a gem.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceluvtoeatDined on 7/6/2014The food met and exceeded our expectations. The pot roast was delicious, as well as the sea food dishes. The sides were outstanding and one that was a favorite is the purple yam. For egg fans, the deviled eggs are a must. The service staff were very friendly and helpful in our dinning selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014We've always loved Jar ever since it opened and will always return, again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedmellymelDined on 6/27/2014The best Manhattan in town! The Kansas City steak (bone in) is always cooked and seasoned to perfection, if you enjoy it med-rare. The motif in the dining room is minimal with a hint of retro. Nice ambient lighting in warm tones create a relaxed yet spirited vibe. Our server Nicole provided exceptional service. (pretty , great smile knew the menu) My love-story and me shared a few dishes that she recommended, when the food arrived she severed our dishes so gracefully that we commented on how she would glide from table to table so effortlessly…serving, pouring wine and taking drinks to and from…We didn't realize she was at the table. ( the Serving Whisperer) We will return most definitely, one of our favorite restaurants. Yummy!Special Features:
- Still GreatNiBuVIPDined on 6/27/2014Though I have heard others claim the quality has slid over the years I can find no evidence of that and had a wonderful meal there on Friday. The dry aged bone in filet specila was excellent as was their coterie of sides. I will continue to recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceStephclVIPDined on 6/27/2014NO wonder Jar is on Jonathan Gold's list of best 101 LA restaurants. The salads (white peach/manchego) and calamari were very fresh with beautifully balanced flavors. The Asian-inspired pork chop was the best pork chop I've ever had. My husband loved his steak and chocolate decadence dessert. The butterscotch pudding lived up to its high recommendation. Our server Nicole was very knowledgeable about the food and made great suggestions. The entire experience was outstanding.Special Features:
- Never a disappointmentLetsEatVIPDined on 6/23/2014Jar has always been a 10 in my book. They've remained consistent for how many years now? The best QUALITY steak house in Los Angeles in my opinion. And those deceivingly simple sounding side dishes...WOW.Special Features:
- Middle of the WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/17/2014I decided to come to have dinner with some friends. This was a great choice, The manager at the door was very nice and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, service lackingSusanVIPDined on 6/14/2014The staff need to be more observant, care a little more about what they're doing and communicate more effectively. We were not offered bread and when we asked for some, it still did not arrive. Menus and wine list sat on our table through the first course. When the server asked if I'd like ground pepper on my salad, he gave the peppermill one turn and went on to the next person at the table. My credit card fell out of the sleeve when the server was taking it to ring up my check. The host found it, brought it to my table, telling me it was on the floor by the bar. My server waked up, grabbed it and said she'd been looking for it. Little details like this cause the diner to wonder if the staff know what they're doing.Special Features:
- Great Foodkgt2goDined on 6/14/2014The food at jar is amazing! The fish, pork and beef entrees are all delicious and there is a wide variety of appetizers and side dishes to choose from. You can't go wrong with any of them but the purple yam, brussel sprouts and French fries are particularly good. You can't leave with out trying the butterscotch pudding as an end to the meal. Highly recommend this to anyone looking for a delicious and interesting meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Food with surprisesGOODFOODDined on 6/12/2014JAR's menu is all about real food, many entrees like those your grandma may have made for Tuesday supper, but so, so surprisingly different under the skillful mastery of JAR's chef Suzanne Tracht. Obviously the best ingredients are used here and loveingly attended to from pantry to plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JacquieDined on 6/7/2014Way too trendy. Cook overly generous with salt! Squash blossoms ruined by deep-frying! I prepare lamb chops sooo much better - way too expensive on menu! Food Not worth the price!'