Japonessa Sushi Cocina
1400 First Ave
Seattle, WA 98101Neighborhood:
Belltown / Pike Place Market
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Japonessa Sushi Cocina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonessa.com/
- Phone: 2069717979
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Tuesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Wednesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Thursday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday- 11:30am - 1:00am
Saturday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Sunday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Happy Hour Is EVERYDAY, from open-6:30pm in our dining area including our SUSHIBAR, and EVERYNIGHT again at 10:00pm till closing, with extending happy hour for 21+ in our bar lounge from 6:30 pm- 8:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Billy Beach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: See our website japonessa.com for catering information, or contact our Catering Manager directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Japonessa Sushi Cocina
Located in downtown Seattle next to Pike Place Market, Japonessa houses the latest talents of renowned Chef Billy Beach. We are a sushi cocina, featuring a Japanese menu with hints of Latino flair. From traditional offerings at our full service sushi bar, to innovative rolls and exotically imagined Japanese tapas, Japonessa boasts a menu to tantalize all palates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Japonessa Sushi Cocina - Best Restaurants in Belltown / Pike Place Market ›
Japonessa Sushi Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)hot spot (93)great for lunch (70)special occasion (64)good for groups (56)vibrant bar scene (46)neighborhood gem (42)late-night find (40)romantic (35)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)notable wine list (4)Show More
- food was amazing, service was mehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014the food was fantastic. from the fried to non fried dishes i was impressed by everything. presentation, taste, atmosphere, it was all there. the time it took for the arrival of our food was amazing. only con was the service. the waitress missed two of our orders, did not bother coming back to see if everything was okay. she said she never wrote it down and tried to pin the blame on us. we all recalled hearing each other mention the missing orders but apparently she didn't. oh well, didn't have anything else planned afterwards so the extra wait for the food was no problem.Special Features:
- service and food "ok"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Reservations online are quick and easy. Food tasty. But our waitress barely talked to us. A smile, sure, but didn't introduce herself, or said welcome, or read specials. After we had gotten our food she never visited our table again until we were done and asking for boxes. Food was pricey for what it was. Vegetable yakisoba for $18? I think if I was ever going to go here again it'd be happy hour at the sushi counter. Plus it was loud, the tables are so close together. Overall I liked it, but I probably will never come back for dinner.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforedisappointedDined on 9/16/2014The rolls were as great as usual but the revived salads were not as good as before. Salmon skin salad, one I used to love, was disappointing. We'll go again for the rolls but not so sure about the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- One of the best sushi in townsergeshDined on 9/15/2014The sushi was creative and delicious! Food was prepared fast despite quite large number of occupied tables. The waiter magically appeared every time we needed him before even asking. And brie tempura is something amazing!Special Features:
- Fresh, excellent sushiEbcorDined on 9/12/2014My favorite sushi spot in Seattle. Great service, happy hour until 8 in the bar and the best rolls in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SushiDaveDined on 9/11/2014We recently enjoyed a busy, noisy dinner at Japonessa. Some nice drink specials to start. My partner enjoyed a nice rib eye steak for dinner. I really enjoyed chef's omakase sushi special. Absolutely delicious! A nice wide variety of super fresh fish. Service was a bit slow, though. Our wine and sake flights arrived late relative to dinner, which detracted from the overall experience. Also, a bit noisy; it was hard to carry on a conversation during dinner. Highly recommend for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skusaDined on 9/7/2014It had been a year or more since I last visited Japonessa. The menu seemed to have changed quite a bit. Most important, only because one of us lamented to the server that there was no obento box, were we (entire table) able to order it. The bento box was fabulous, so why not have it on the menu? Are there other great items that aren't on the menu?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but miscommunicationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was awesome, but there was a miscommunication on what bottle of sake I wanted to order. I thought I was clear by saying and pointing out what sake I wanted. When we got the check, I realized that a much more expensive bottle was given to us. I guess I could have double checked the sake once it was brought out but that usually not what you would normally do. I even verified the price to the waiter when I ordered. I didn't complain when we received the check since we drank the whole bottle, but it's unfortunate for us that the price difference was so much! Everything else was great.Special Features:
- Yummmm!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2014The sushi was creative and delicious! The waiter had to be reminded about one of our rolls, but everything else came out in a timely manner. Friendly staff and a good drink list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great twist on sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Love the signature rolls, a great twist on traditional sushi. This was our second time there, as usual, a pretty busy place, make sure to make reservations on OpenTable ahead of time! We never did receive the Miso Soup (I remember it being the best I have had) and had an extra drink on our receipt (easily corrected). Everything else was good. The server was knowledgeable of the menu and gave good advice.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningChewLeWardDined on 8/29/2014My experience here was great. The staff were courteous and attentive and the food was very delicious. We loved the rainbow poke and a sushi dish with mango, tuna, and raspberry sauce (I think it's called paradisio tropical - sorry if I messed up the correct name). I definitely recommend this place if you crave sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Our waiter didn't take our order for 25 minutes and then brought all our food out at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit Friday NightAndyDined on 8/27/2014As always, great sushi and service - thanks, we'll see you again soon!Special Features:
- Delicious sushi - downtown must!NamastecpaDined on 8/27/2014Japonessa is consistent on all fronts: food, service and environment. Their Happy Hour menu begins when the restaurant opens so all downtown lunch goers may enjoy Happy Hour prices at lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fairKseattleDined on 8/26/2014I dined at Japonessa on two separate occasions: for lunch (in the bar) and dinner (seated table). The sushi rolls are fairly large; Many of the specialties were spicy (e.g. contained spicy tuna, spicy sauce, jalopenos, etc.) which overpowered the fish. The high ceilings contribute to lots of noise when crowded and we found ourselves yelling across the table/bar to be heard. The service was 'fair'. Both times, I had to flag the waiter/waitress for the check. The sake was served 'searingly' hot rather than warmed. Although conveniently located near Benaroya Hall, the two experiences have me seeking a more pleasant and quality sushi restaurant in the downtown corridor.Special Features:
- One of the bestDocDineDined on 8/25/2014Japonessa is one of the best sushi restaurants it have dined. If you like sushi, it is a must. The only detractor is the noise level. It was difficult having a conversation with colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for team lunchesMichelleRDined on 8/25/2014Service was a little slow but the food was fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- Creative sushiJacquelynnVIPDined on 8/24/2014This is the place to go if you want creative rolls. Fancy, enormous portioned, cut rolls with multiple ingredients. Pricey but large enough to share. Try happy hour for lighter on your wallet fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFoodloverDined on 8/23/2014It is a very good restaurant for Japanese food, especially sushi. They offer a wide range of raw fishes and some signature dishes. The dessert was very good. However, the price is a little bit too high for every day dining.Special Features:
- Sit at the sushi barKatvanDined on 8/22/2014Fun way to experience the "show" that goes on in prepping the plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deep fried sushiTOgirlDined on 8/22/2014I had the bad boy crunch roll, and the first few bits were great, but after that it was too rich. The restaurant wasn't busy but was sat way too close to a pair of women.Special Features:
- Love the creative rollsnickyelleDined on 8/22/2014Japonesa is one of my favorite lunch spots. I work close by and am able to get in and out within 45 minutes. The service is incredibly fast and attentive and the fish is fresh and delicious. I recommend the skin on skin roll and the Mexican ninja.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and unique sushiBeagleFanDined on 8/21/2014Sushi with a jalapeño flair. All of the food is beautiful and delicious. It can be very expensive ($20 for a Mr. Wonderful roll), but if you stick to the Happy Hour menu (and it's almost always Happy Hour), you can find a great sampling of rolls, sushi, sashimi, bento and the best miso soup around (only $1). This is where we always bring our out-of-town guests, to show off the heart of Seattle and then the very best sushi. Difficult to get in for lunch. The wait is typically over an hour unless you get lucky and find a spot in the bar. So DO make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always visit when we are in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014While we can find good sushi in Omaha, nothing compares to the quality of the food at Japonessa. We've eaten here every time we've visited Seattle since discovering it. Highly recommended. The only negative comment is that the noise level is always very high. We prefer to sit at the sushi bar so that we can carry on a conversation without raising our voices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Mediocre ServiceChaveyDined on 8/15/2014The food was good, above average really. This place has got a solid reputation and they deliver. The service was OK, a little slow and not that attentive. Our server must have been moved to another section as he disappeared for a long time, and then apologized for abandoning us. I'll go back, but likely sit in the bar as the Service in the Dining room was underwhelmingSpecial Features:
- FrustratingOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/15/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. We've had good experiences here in the post but this time while the food was good the service was horrible. We barely saw our server. She didn't write down our order. She missed my husband cocktail and my roll never came out. She claims she put the order in and the kitchen missed it but she never came to check to see if it came out. It was extremely frustrating because I want to rave about this place but I can't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return tripOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014We ate here last year when we were in Seattle and they sent me a coupon for a free roll, so we returned and were not disappointed. Fairly high noise level, but great food. Well worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greeters for a FuneralOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014My first time there and my initial thought was; is this a funeral? The hostess' looked as though they were being tortured and were very unfriendly. Not one smile or a bit of conversation..just a head nod to "follow me" and again to sit! The actual server was pleasant and did help take a bit of the distain from my mood. Sushi just ok, nothing speacial. Will definitely not be returning. There are plenty of wonderful sushi restaurants in Seattle...even the hole's in the wall offer better food and service!Special Features:
- Excellent Sushi Place In SeattleMichaelVIPDined on 8/10/2014If you are a sushi fan and like variety and different kind of sushi, you have to try this place. If you like it spicy, I dare you to try Diabla Say and if you are in a mood for something crunchy and just delicious, you must try Seattle Crunch.Special Features:
- Yum!girlmeetssushiDined on 8/9/2014One of my favorite places to go, the only downside is most of their sushi rolls are tempura fried, it's hard to find ones that aren't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourwoopthereitisDined on 8/9/2014The happy hour was the best happy hour in Seattle hands down. No where else can you find such great sushi at such and affordable price. I'm on a college budget and took my girlfriend there and did not feel like I was getting scammed, like some other sushi restaurants. Prices were very good, my only complaint is where we sat. For two people it seems like they just toss you aside right by the door and the menus were almost as big as the table we sat at not leaving much room for anything else. Overall, it was a great dinner though.Special Features:
- okay, but not okay ...jmrmodeDined on 8/7/2014I loved that the have uni on the menu, and for my first time having it, I loved it. But I ordered the spicy bad boy sushi roll with eel, and when I bit into the roll and a bone dug right into the roof of my mouth and got lodged between my gums and my tooth. When my husband told the waiter, he didn't care, he just dropped off the check for us to pay and get out. My mouth is still hurting, and I don't think I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and satisfying!karemoDined on 8/7/2014I love Japonesa. The sushi is always fresh and delicious. The sushi rolls are a good size and those on the happy hour menu are priced well. The happy hour menu also has a lot of choices. My office mates and I often go to Japonesa for celebratory lunches or with out of town visitors. I would recommend it (and have!) to anyone who loves sushi!Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysMuninnDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I come here at least once a week because it is an amazing restaurant. The food is excellent, happy hour reasonably priced and the staff friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin Asian Fusion w/ hot sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/5/2014Recommended by hotel concierge as Asian with a latin twist. Delicious use if cilantro in the appetizers and the sushi rolls. Thw Habenero sushi rolls were appropriately hot from the decorative sprinkles on top to the actual peppers rolled in with the tuna. Fun combo, but be warned to order extra rice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeFoodsterDined on 7/31/2014Everything was perfect..... Food, drinks, service! Highly recommend reservations. Great for vegans too!Special Features:
- Sushi & Jalapenos? Si, Senor!SquadLeaderVIPDined on 7/27/2014Extremely fresh and very well prepared japanese food with a latin twist. We tried sweet, savory and spicy sushi rolls. Flavor combinations were balanced and not overpowering. Beautiful presentaions, too. Rice was not compressed, but stayed together. Comprehensive wine and sake list. Our server was personable and attentive without hovering. Reservations required on a Sunday night!Special Features:
- After Game DinnerRonDDined on 7/27/2014Went into Seattle after the Mariner's game to the Japonessa. We were 1.5 hours ahead of our scheduled reservation but the hostess arranged a table for us. We were there in time for the happy hour food menu which offered fantastic rolls and sushi at very good prices. Victor our waiter was very attentive. Put Japonessa on your list if you love Japanese food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seattle SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Great sushi, friendly staff, location central to must see Seattle, offers excellent value. We ate there twice, on both ends of our 10 day stay in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodHealthydining21Dined on 7/25/2014Love the creative sushi menu. Happy hour prices for lunch make this a fantastic choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.