Japonessa Sushi Cocina
1400 First Ave
Seattle, WA 98101Neighborhood:
Belltown / Pike Place Market
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Japonessa Sushi Cocina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonessa.com/
- Phone: (206) 971-7979
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Tuesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Wednesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Thursday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday- 11:30am - 1:00am
Saturday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Sunday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Happy Hour Is EVERYDAY, from open-6:30pm in our dining area including our SUSHIBAR, and EVERYNIGHT again at 10:00pm till closing, with extending happy hour for 21+ in our bar lounge from 6:30 pm- 8:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Billy Beach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: See our website japonessa.com for catering information, or contact our Catering Manager directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Japonessa Sushi Cocina
Located in downtown Seattle next to Pike Place Market, Japonessa houses the latest talents of renowned Chef Billy Beach. We are a sushi cocina, featuring a Japanese menu with hints of Latino flair. From traditional offerings at our full service sushi bar, to innovative rolls and exotically imagined Japanese tapas, Japonessa boasts a menu to tantalize all palates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Japonessa Sushi Cocina - Best Restaurants in Belltown / Pike Place Market ›
Japonessa Sushi Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (123)hot spot (90)good for groups (64)great for lunch (64)special occasion (54)late-night find (51)vibrant bar scene (45)romantic (37)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Best Sushi Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014I made a reservation about 4 days before hand. I made it for 4 at 5 pm. We were a little early, and we had 5 in our party. I had tried to change that online but couldn't. When we got there, we stated the change and the gal said she could seat us anyways. She cramped us into a table for four. And about 15 minutes later sat a group of 4 at a table for 5. I was confused at this. Wouldn't it make more sense to have switched these two tables instead of making us cramp 3 on one side of a table for four? And they wouldn't let us put a chair at the end of the table, stating the table next to us has a reservation and would need that chair. Ended up that too didn't happen. The table next to us was a couple and they didn't' touch the chair. I have never liked sushi and my boy friend took me to Japonessa for my first real experience, now I have been back 3x. I love the food, the atmosphere and I will return. I just didn't quite understand the logic of the placement of our group. The restaurant wasn't even full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go after Museum visitanniebananieDined on 11/20/2014There were 6 of us for lunch after a visit to SAM. The restaurant is directly across the street from the Museum and as such very convenient. It was very lovely and full for lunch. The wait staff was very good. The sushi rolls were terrific and generous although can go as high as $20 each. The legend sushi roll was delicious and the bento box lunch which changes daily a really nice way to taste everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time I've been disappointed with the foodTessaKayDined on 11/19/2014Nigiri - pieces were tiny. Are they cutting costs by making portions smaller? Also, flavor of fish was just not there. Mexican Ninja roll - fairly flavorless, no heat. Miso soup - salty. I may go back once more to see if it was an off night, because the food has been so good until now. But I wouldn't suggest that my friends go there.
- Excellent fare and excellent service.blueberryDined on 11/15/2014The fourth time I've been to Japonessa. It's two blocks from Benaroya Hall, so when you are there, if you like Japanese food, you really should try it. Excellent food and excellent service. It's definitely a "happening place", and the noise level is such that it's not a place where you can enjoy a quiet conversation. But in all other respects it's a great, an fun, place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceMayFlyDined on 11/15/201415 minutes after being seated I had to ask a table busser if a waiter was planning on helping me anytime soon. To be fair, the table busser was extremely nice as were the hostesses. When my waiter finally showed up he was extremely rushed and just asked me if I was ready to order. He had not even taken my drink order yet... When I asked about the drink list, he was noticeably put out. I had more questions about the menu, but decided to just hurry up and order something so I could escape the awkward situation. I should have just left then. I ended up getting some food items that I didn't really care for. I wish I would have felt more comfortable asking about the selection before I spent a lot of money on something. I was in town on business and dining alone. Maybe this was the cause for the poor service? I was referred to Japonessa by a foodie friend and was extremely disappointed that my only chance to dine in Seattle turned into this disaster. I wont be back.
- Good foodVivianDined on 11/1/2014The rolls are great. But the tables are too close to each other, I can hear other people's conversation very clearly.Special Features:
- Great timeHotppersVIPDined on 10/27/2014I decided last minute to take my wife out for dinner to celebrate the evening of a significant accomplishment by her at work. The food and service was awesome and it was a great way to celebrate!Special Features:
- FoodieNewbieDined on 10/24/2014The Oyster Shooters are amazingamazin, along with the spicy strawberry habanero roll with spicy tuna. Great place for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodgrouper49Dined on 10/23/2014Very good food and service. Cramped tables and very expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TuesdayCakesDined on 10/20/2014Went Tuesday for lunch with a group of co-workers. Graham was awesome. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- A Wicked SensationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014The wicked sensation is one of the speciality rolls and it's amazing! This is our second visit to Japonessa and we love it! We are from Victoria, BC and made it a point to make a reservation to now one of our favorite places to dine in Seattle. The seafood is fresh, the service was very good and all around a great experience!Special Features:
- Crazy mix of flavors.SeattleLocavoreDined on 10/18/2014The biggest takeaway for me was the great mix of flavors executed by the chef. All of the rolls looked appetizing, and we settled on a special King Crab roll recommended by the server as well as the King Midas. With two of us there, more than two rolls would have been difficult to manage. We also had the salmon collar because they ran out of Hamachi Kama special. All of it was quite good, and I would probably take friends or family back there for a unique twist on traditional Japanese food. The tables are pretty close to each other, and one of our benchmates was a sushi newbie, so listening to him explore the menu and pass judgment was both fun and annoying. All in all, a good experience that I would recommend to others.Special Features:
- best sushiLandDDined on 10/18/2014Sushi was terrific - different combinations that were sublime. Not just OK, but really good. Glad we made a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was OKKennitDined on 10/16/2014Menu is confusing. The ribs dish was tough. The sushi sticks give you a lot of the same thing not variety. Miso w clams was great. Tables for 2 were too "deep" for intimacy. Somehow should have been better.Special Features:
- Great service!foodisgoodDined on 10/15/2014Our waitress was awesome, sushi was tasty, ambience was nice. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Japonessa is a favOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014Our go-to spot for special times. Amazing food. Wait staff attentive. Every effort made to satisfy diners' wants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/12/2014I work in this neighborhood, so I'm always happy for a place to eat some great food, and Japonessa definitely has great food. Unfortunately, what they also have is tourists. Hundreds of loud, obnoxious, unruly, shouting tourists. I'm still searching for the perfect day and time to come and enjoy their Tres Diablos Roll and O' Toro. But mostly I just have to put up with a**holes from Kent and their screaming kids. I know they have a business to run, so I won't fault them for serving unwashed, but I can only dream that downtown will someday get a great sushi restaurant that has the courage demand the same quality from their customers as they do from their kitchen.Special Features:
- Delicious Sushibeka118Dined on 10/11/2014The sushi was amazing. Probably the best I've had.Special Features:
- Not worth itteedsCVIPDined on 10/7/2014It was our first time in Seattle and we were really craving good sushi. The first thing we thought when we sat down was how overpriced everything was on the Menu but I'm sure happy hour is a different story. Anyways, we weren't that hungry so we ended up just ordering an appy and one roll which was the Rockstar. I'll admit that the ingredients did go very well together however, it was just loads of rice and barely any scallops. I broke one roll apart and there was literally maybe two or three tiny pieces of chopped scallop. So what exactly did I just pay for? As a tourist recommendation, I would stick to eating at the unique shops in the Pike Place Market and catch as many Happy Hour restaurants as you can.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/7/2014The food was very good. They need to work on the iced tea. Noise level was very high. I had trouble talking to the person sitting across from meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for happy hour36023edDined on 10/7/2014Not sure I'd rate as high for the regular dinner service, but if you make it before 6:30 for happy hour it's well worth your time. A fairly extensive happy hour menu at less than half price. Tako yaki is excellent, tempura brie is odd but good, and lots of americanized rolls. My wife and I regularly make it out of there for less than $30.Special Features:
- First visit to JaponessamanyTastesDined on 10/5/2014The location is excellent, close to Benaroya Hall and SAM. We ordered a sushi plate and the Portobello yakisoba, the yakisoba split into 2 plates; no problem. The sushi was very good. The roll was thick, and some of the slices were too wide to eat in one bite. There is quite a variety of sushi. The yakisoba had the Portobello mushroom sliced and marinated for an interesting taste, along with pickled vegetables and the noodles in their sauce. The effect was a complicated dish with a muddled taste. We would order something more plain next time in the noodle department.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsSmaugsterDined on 10/4/2014I've been to Japonessa several times and will continue to do so. They have a wide and creative menu, service has always been excellent, and you can't beat their happy hour.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceMJTADined on 10/3/2014Food was decent, sashimi was perfect, rolls were heavier than expected (very rich), I had to remind my server for drinks twice and cancelled third one bc it never came, it took her 25 minutes to bring and close out the tab,will never be back.Special Features:
- Sooo Delicious!!1newfoodieDined on 10/3/2014I have to keep this short and simple. Food=amazing! Service...could use some improvement on timing, but not terrible. The Ultimate Dragon was the best roll we tried. And the Dragon Eyes (I think that's the name) were delicious! The rolls were ample, but you only get four, albeit scrumptious, scallops. WILL COME BACK AGAIN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservation TODAY!KatvanDined on 10/3/2014LOVE this place! Site at the sushi bar for a more interactive environment.Special Features:
- Fresh and DeliciousJanineDined on 10/3/2014The sushi here is so fresh, unique, and delicious. A lot of it has a kick, so pay attention to the "pepper" symbols on the menu and you can't go wrong. Definitely give this place a try.Special Features:
- Not what I was hopingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/2/2014Rolls are TOO big for a normal mouth....so they fall apart and have to be eaten in two bites. Roll was YUMMY though. My husband is more of a true sushi person than me and loved it. Service was terrible. Set up at Sushi bar is terrible - why high seats? Why is the sushi bar near the door?Special Features:
- Delicious!AngecakesDined on 9/29/2014The food was outstanding and the servers were very friendly and helpful. The tables are kind of close together, but we were able to move to a table away from others which greatly improved our experience. We will definitely be going back next time we visit Seattle.Special Features:
- Yummy find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Delicious, fresh sushi! I would definitely recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!AllieDined on 9/28/2014The food was great. The tables/seating is too close together. The place was very crowded and noisy. Overall, we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but horrible servicetransplantDined on 9/28/2014Didn't get noticed at our table for the first 20 minutes. Finally got service which seemed forced. This is my go to place but not anymore.Special Features:
- Fresh food, but misses the markcaprichosaDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I were really looking forward to trying Japonessa after seeing such raving reviews online. However, we were slightly disappointed. While the food and fish were fresh, they really missed the mark as far as flavor. We were hoping for something a lot more original and flavorful but it was rather meh. The general ambiance was really off-putting--the decor coming off as a little antsy/gothic rather than sophisticated. There were a ton of young people dining--teenagers, it seemed like, and they were loud and somewhat obnoxious. To top it off, we arrived 10 mins early for our reservation, and we had to wait to get a table despite it being early for a rez (4pm) and seeing multiple tables they could have put us at. :(Special Features:
- Happy BirthdayMarkDined on 9/24/2014For my daughter's 23rd birthday, she requested coming here. We made the reservation and everything was ready for us. The waiter was fun and really helpful to decipher the menu choices for a couple of us that didn't know sushi that well. A few of us ordered drinks, including the birthday girl and the two beers came out fairly quickly, but her drink took forever. So long that the waiter said if she wanted another one, he'd make it himself. I thought they should have not charged for it because it took so long. The food was fantastic and served quickly. On my reservation, I noted that it was my daughter's birthday and they even brought out a piece of amazing green tea tiramisu...nice touch. Need another bartender would be my only criticism.Special Features:
- A Must When Visiting SeattleTheplanmancanVIPDined on 9/21/2014Our first experience brought us back for a second and we look forward to coming back again each time we visit Seattle.Special Features:
- Just OKRebeccaMDined on 9/20/2014Although I'm newish to Seattle, I've had better sushi at Umi Sake House. I love the idea of sushi fusion and the rolls were plenty tasty, but I found that the rolls were very large and seemed to fall apart easily...like they weren't rolled tight enough. My server was nice enough, but the service itself was really slow and it seemed like it took forever to get a drink refill. I also went there around 6:00 on a Sat night and it was already really busy. You should make reservations.Special Features:
- food was amazing, service was mehTridentDined on 9/19/2014the food was fantastic. from the fried to non fried dishes i was impressed by everything. presentation, taste, atmosphere, it was all there. the time it took for the arrival of our food was amazing. only con was the service. the waitress missed two of our orders, did not bother coming back to see if everything was okay. she said she never wrote it down and tried to pin the blame on us. we all recalled hearing each other mention the missing orders but apparently she didn't. oh well, didn't have anything else planned afterwards so the extra wait for the food was no problem.Special Features:
- service and food "ok"abaileyDined on 9/18/2014Reservations online are quick and easy. Food tasty. But our waitress barely talked to us. A smile, sure, but didn't introduce herself, or said welcome, or read specials. After we had gotten our food she never visited our table again until we were done and asking for boxes. Food was pricey for what it was. Vegetable yakisoba for $18? I think if I was ever going to go here again it'd be happy hour at the sushi counter. Plus it was loud, the tables are so close together. Overall I liked it, but I probably will never come back for dinner.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforedisappointedDined on 9/16/2014The rolls were as great as usual but the revived salads were not as good as before. Salmon skin salad, one I used to love, was disappointing. We'll go again for the rolls but not so sure about the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- One of the best sushi in townsergeshDined on 9/15/2014The sushi was creative and delicious! Food was prepared fast despite quite large number of occupied tables. The waiter magically appeared every time we needed him before even asking. And brie tempura is something amazing!Special Features: