Japonessa Sushi Cocina
1400 First Ave
Seattle, WA 98101Neighborhood:
Belltown / Pike Place Market
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Japonessa Sushi Cocina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonessa.com/
- Phone: 2069717979
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Tuesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Wednesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Thursday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday- 11:30am - 1:00am
Saturday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Sunday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Happy Hour Is EVERYDAY, from open-6:30pm in our dining area including our SUSHIBAR, and EVERYNIGHT again at 10:00pm till closing, with extending happy hour for 21+ in our bar lounge from 6:30 pm- 8:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Billy Beach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: See our website japonessa.com for catering information, or contact our Catering Manager directly at email@example.com
A word from Japonessa Sushi Cocina
Located in downtown Seattle next to Pike Place Market, Japonessa houses the latest talents of renowned Chef Billy Beach. We are a sushi cocina, featuring a Japanese menu with hints of Latino flair. From traditional offerings at our full service sushi bar, to innovative rolls and exotically imagined Japanese tapas, Japonessa boasts a menu to tantalize all palates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Japonessa Sushi Cocina - Best Restaurants in Belltown / Pike Place Market ›
Japonessa Sushi Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (135)hot spot (104)great for lunch (69)special occasion (66)good for groups (61)neighborhood gem (49)vibrant bar scene (47)late-night find (47)romantic (37)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Crazy mix of flavors.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The biggest takeaway for me was the great mix of flavors executed by the chef. All of the rolls looked appetizing, and we settled on a special King Crab roll recommended by the server as well as the King Midas. With two of us there, more than two rolls would have been difficult to manage. We also had the salmon collar because they ran out of Hamachi Kama special. All of it was quite good, and I would probably take friends or family back there for a unique twist on traditional Japanese food. The tables are pretty close to each other, and one of our benchmates was a sushi newbie, so listening to him explore the menu and pass judgment was both fun and annoying. All in all, a good experience that I would recommend to others.Special Features:
- best sushiLandDDined on 10/18/2014Sushi was terrific - different combinations that were sublime. Not just OK, but really good. Glad we made a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was OKKennitDined on 10/16/2014Menu is confusing. The ribs dish was tough. The sushi sticks give you a lot of the same thing not variety. Miso w clams was great. Tables for 2 were too "deep" for intimacy. Somehow should have been better.Special Features:
- Great service!foodisgoodDined on 10/15/2014Our waitress was awesome, sushi was tasty, ambience was nice. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Japonessa is a favOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014Our go-to spot for special times. Amazing food. Wait staff attentive. Every effort made to satisfy diners' wants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/12/2014I work in this neighborhood, so I'm always happy for a place to eat some great food, and Japonessa definitely has great food. Unfortunately, what they also have is tourists. Hundreds of loud, obnoxious, unruly, shouting tourists. I'm still searching for the perfect day and time to come and enjoy their Tres Diablos Roll and O' Toro. But mostly I just have to put up with a**holes from Kent and their screaming kids. I know they have a business to run, so I won't fault them for serving unwashed, but I can only dream that downtown will someday get a great sushi restaurant that has the courage demand the same quality from their customers as they do from their kitchen.Special Features:
- Delicious Sushibeka118Dined on 10/11/2014The sushi was amazing. Probably the best I've had.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/7/2014The food was very good. They need to work on the iced tea. Noise level was very high. I had trouble talking to the person sitting across from meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for happy hour36023edDined on 10/7/2014Not sure I'd rate as high for the regular dinner service, but if you make it before 6:30 for happy hour it's well worth your time. A fairly extensive happy hour menu at less than half price. Tako yaki is excellent, tempura brie is odd but good, and lots of americanized rolls. My wife and I regularly make it out of there for less than $30.Special Features:
- First visit to JaponessamanyTastesDined on 10/5/2014The location is excellent, close to Benaroya Hall and SAM. We ordered a sushi plate and the Portobello yakisoba, the yakisoba split into 2 plates; no problem. The sushi was very good. The roll was thick, and some of the slices were too wide to eat in one bite. There is quite a variety of sushi. The yakisoba had the Portobello mushroom sliced and marinated for an interesting taste, along with pickled vegetables and the noodles in their sauce. The effect was a complicated dish with a muddled taste. We would order something more plain next time in the noodle department.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsSmaugsterDined on 10/4/2014I've been to Japonessa several times and will continue to do so. They have a wide and creative menu, service has always been excellent, and you can't beat their happy hour.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceMJTADined on 10/3/2014Food was decent, sashimi was perfect, rolls were heavier than expected (very rich), I had to remind my server for drinks twice and cancelled third one bc it never came, it took her 25 minutes to bring and close out the tab,will never be back.Special Features:
- Sooo Delicious!!1newfoodieDined on 10/3/2014I have to keep this short and simple. Food=amazing! Service...could use some improvement on timing, but not terrible. The Ultimate Dragon was the best roll we tried. And the Dragon Eyes (I think that's the name) were delicious! The rolls were ample, but you only get four, albeit scrumptious, scallops. WILL COME BACK AGAIN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservation TODAY!KatvanDined on 10/3/2014LOVE this place! Site at the sushi bar for a more interactive environment.Special Features:
- Fresh and DeliciousJanineDined on 10/3/2014The sushi here is so fresh, unique, and delicious. A lot of it has a kick, so pay attention to the "pepper" symbols on the menu and you can't go wrong. Definitely give this place a try.Special Features:
- Not what I was hopingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/2/2014Rolls are TOO big for a normal mouth....so they fall apart and have to be eaten in two bites. Roll was YUMMY though. My husband is more of a true sushi person than me and loved it. Service was terrible. Set up at Sushi bar is terrible - why high seats? Why is the sushi bar near the door?Special Features:
- Delicious!AngecakesDined on 9/29/2014The food was outstanding and the servers were very friendly and helpful. The tables are kind of close together, but we were able to move to a table away from others which greatly improved our experience. We will definitely be going back next time we visit Seattle.Special Features:
- Yummy find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Delicious, fresh sushi! I would definitely recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!AllieDined on 9/28/2014The food was great. The tables/seating is too close together. The place was very crowded and noisy. Overall, we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food, but misses the markcaprichosaDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I were really looking forward to trying Japonessa after seeing such raving reviews online. However, we were slightly disappointed. While the food and fish were fresh, they really missed the mark as far as flavor. We were hoping for something a lot more original and flavorful but it was rather meh. The general ambiance was really off-putting--the decor coming off as a little antsy/gothic rather than sophisticated. There were a ton of young people dining--teenagers, it seemed like, and they were loud and somewhat obnoxious. To top it off, we arrived 10 mins early for our reservation, and we had to wait to get a table despite it being early for a rez (4pm) and seeing multiple tables they could have put us at. :(Special Features:
- Happy BirthdayMarkDined on 9/24/2014For my daughter's 23rd birthday, she requested coming here. We made the reservation and everything was ready for us. The waiter was fun and really helpful to decipher the menu choices for a couple of us that didn't know sushi that well. A few of us ordered drinks, including the birthday girl and the two beers came out fairly quickly, but her drink took forever. So long that the waiter said if she wanted another one, he'd make it himself. I thought they should have not charged for it because it took so long. The food was fantastic and served quickly. On my reservation, I noted that it was my daughter's birthday and they even brought out a piece of amazing green tea tiramisu...nice touch. Need another bartender would be my only criticism.Special Features:
- A Must When Visiting SeattleTheplanmancanVIPDined on 9/21/2014Our first experience brought us back for a second and we look forward to coming back again each time we visit Seattle.Special Features:
- Just OKRebeccaMDined on 9/20/2014Although I'm newish to Seattle, I've had better sushi at Umi Sake House. I love the idea of sushi fusion and the rolls were plenty tasty, but I found that the rolls were very large and seemed to fall apart easily...like they weren't rolled tight enough. My server was nice enough, but the service itself was really slow and it seemed like it took forever to get a drink refill. I also went there around 6:00 on a Sat night and it was already really busy. You should make reservations.Special Features:
- food was amazing, service was mehTridentDined on 9/19/2014the food was fantastic. from the fried to non fried dishes i was impressed by everything. presentation, taste, atmosphere, it was all there. the time it took for the arrival of our food was amazing. only con was the service. the waitress missed two of our orders, did not bother coming back to see if everything was okay. she said she never wrote it down and tried to pin the blame on us. we all recalled hearing each other mention the missing orders but apparently she didn't. oh well, didn't have anything else planned afterwards so the extra wait for the food was no problem.Special Features:
- service and food "ok"abaileyDined on 9/18/2014Reservations online are quick and easy. Food tasty. But our waitress barely talked to us. A smile, sure, but didn't introduce herself, or said welcome, or read specials. After we had gotten our food she never visited our table again until we were done and asking for boxes. Food was pricey for what it was. Vegetable yakisoba for $18? I think if I was ever going to go here again it'd be happy hour at the sushi counter. Plus it was loud, the tables are so close together. Overall I liked it, but I probably will never come back for dinner.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforedisappointedDined on 9/16/2014The rolls were as great as usual but the revived salads were not as good as before. Salmon skin salad, one I used to love, was disappointing. We'll go again for the rolls but not so sure about the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- One of the best sushi in townsergeshDined on 9/15/2014The sushi was creative and delicious! Food was prepared fast despite quite large number of occupied tables. The waiter magically appeared every time we needed him before even asking. And brie tempura is something amazing!Special Features:
- Fresh, excellent sushiEbcorDined on 9/12/2014My favorite sushi spot in Seattle. Great service, happy hour until 8 in the bar and the best rolls in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SushiDaveDined on 9/11/2014We recently enjoyed a busy, noisy dinner at Japonessa. Some nice drink specials to start. My partner enjoyed a nice rib eye steak for dinner. I really enjoyed chef's omakase sushi special. Absolutely delicious! A nice wide variety of super fresh fish. Service was a bit slow, though. Our wine and sake flights arrived late relative to dinner, which detracted from the overall experience. Also, a bit noisy; it was hard to carry on a conversation during dinner. Highly recommend for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skusaDined on 9/7/2014It had been a year or more since I last visited Japonessa. The menu seemed to have changed quite a bit. Most important, only because one of us lamented to the server that there was no obento box, were we (entire table) able to order it. The bento box was fabulous, so why not have it on the menu? Are there other great items that aren't on the menu?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but miscommunicationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was awesome, but there was a miscommunication on what bottle of sake I wanted to order. I thought I was clear by saying and pointing out what sake I wanted. When we got the check, I realized that a much more expensive bottle was given to us. I guess I could have double checked the sake once it was brought out but that usually not what you would normally do. I even verified the price to the waiter when I ordered. I didn't complain when we received the check since we drank the whole bottle, but it's unfortunate for us that the price difference was so much! Everything else was great.Special Features:
- Yummmm!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2014The sushi was creative and delicious! The waiter had to be reminded about one of our rolls, but everything else came out in a timely manner. Friendly staff and a good drink list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great twist on sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Love the signature rolls, a great twist on traditional sushi. This was our second time there, as usual, a pretty busy place, make sure to make reservations on OpenTable ahead of time! We never did receive the Miso Soup (I remember it being the best I have had) and had an extra drink on our receipt (easily corrected). Everything else was good. The server was knowledgeable of the menu and gave good advice.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningChewLeWardDined on 8/29/2014My experience here was great. The staff were courteous and attentive and the food was very delicious. We loved the rainbow poke and a sushi dish with mango, tuna, and raspberry sauce (I think it's called paradisio tropical - sorry if I messed up the correct name). I definitely recommend this place if you crave sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Our waiter didn't take our order for 25 minutes and then brought all our food out at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit Friday NightAndyDined on 8/27/2014As always, great sushi and service - thanks, we'll see you again soon!Special Features:
- Delicious sushi - downtown must!NamastecpaDined on 8/27/2014Japonessa is consistent on all fronts: food, service and environment. Their Happy Hour menu begins when the restaurant opens so all downtown lunch goers may enjoy Happy Hour prices at lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fairKseattleDined on 8/26/2014I dined at Japonessa on two separate occasions: for lunch (in the bar) and dinner (seated table). The sushi rolls are fairly large; Many of the specialties were spicy (e.g. contained spicy tuna, spicy sauce, jalopenos, etc.) which overpowered the fish. The high ceilings contribute to lots of noise when crowded and we found ourselves yelling across the table/bar to be heard. The service was 'fair'. Both times, I had to flag the waiter/waitress for the check. The sake was served 'searingly' hot rather than warmed. Although conveniently located near Benaroya Hall, the two experiences have me seeking a more pleasant and quality sushi restaurant in the downtown corridor.Special Features:
- One of the bestDocDineDined on 8/25/2014Japonessa is one of the best sushi restaurants it have dined. If you like sushi, it is a must. The only detractor is the noise level. It was difficult having a conversation with colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for team lunchesMichelleRDined on 8/25/2014Service was a little slow but the food was fresh and well prepared.Special Features: