Japonais by Morimoto
600 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Japonais by Morimoto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonaismorimoto.com/
- Phone: 3128229600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Japanese
- Executive Chef: CHEF HISANOBU OSAKA
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Japonais by Morimoto
Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu,Continued
sake and craft beers.
sake and craft beers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Japonais by Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
319 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (197)special occasion (168)hot spot (117)romantic (97)good for groups (92)vibrant bar scene (65)great for outdoor dining (53)notable wine list (46)scenic view (37)neighborhood gem (34)late-night find (33)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Bring earplugsSceltoDined on 9/18/2014I've been to Japonais three times now, but this was the first time I've sat on the side of the restaurant near the sashimi / sushi bar (i.e. left turn when you go in through the main door) and it was awful. The service and food were as good as always, but with the echoing, music and loud voices of people trying to make themselves heard it was impossible to hold a normal conversation once it got busy, and I was glad to get out.Special Features:
- Amazing. Period.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014From the minute you walk in the door you are treated with some of the most amazing and hospitable service in Chicago. Period. Very refreshing now a days! Chef Morimoto 's food speaks for itself. He is in a league of his own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Very impressed with the level of service. Sat down at the Blue Room bar for a drink (bartender was personable and charming). Ended up having dinner at the bar instead of upstairs. Food was delicious - tuna pizza and shrimp tempura to start, finished with two sushi rolls: eel and avo & spicy Hamachi. Bartender made a very mean old fashion. Will be back again with a larger group!Special Features:
- Japonais, a gastronomic delightMctjmDined on 9/14/2014Overall the Japonais experience was memorable. My Ginger braised black cod was amazing, my husband liked , not loved his sea bass. However he did love the salmon sushi and the soft shell crab roll. One complaint was that they didn't have items listed on their menu- the merlot we picked as well as the type of salmon sushi that we ordered, however their substitutions were acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedemjayefVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very disappointed. Hadn't been here in awhile, but always had good experience. This time, food and drinks were overpriced and not high quality. Service poorly paced and slow.
- iron chefs know their businessjohngVIPDined on 9/13/2014as with most other iron chefs, they all know how to open great restaurants. And to run them properly. The food was outstanding, the choices and presentations were exciting and vibrant. The service was dedicated and timely. I would go there again.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Waited forever to get any kind of service from our waiter. After the point we received our menus we never saw him again. Can you believe that?! We had reservations but showed up early to have a drink and we experienced great pressure to sit at the bar by both the bartender and the manager. Awful!!! Great food was ruined by service. Will not be back.Special Features:
- Not like it used to beHoleDined on 9/12/2014I remember how great this place was. I came back in town to meet some friends and it was just a shell of what it was before. Bar downstairs was empty on a Friday night at prime time. Some items were very good (Toro tartar) but the rolls were average. I just remember when this used to a real experience. Now it is nothing special.
- Great experience here!parkitDined on 9/11/2014I had a great experience here for me and my fiancee's anniversary. We were taken care of very well, and the food and service were excellent. We especially loved the Spicy King Crab appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chefs OmakaseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014I had a group of 7 and we ordered Chef's Omakase for the table. The seven courses were fantastic, all very different from each other.Special Features:
- Expectations fulfilled!minonk1Dined on 9/7/2014The food was perfectly prepared and the presentation was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so great anymoreCCCCVIPDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant was one of my favorites. Since the menu has changed, the food is not well seasoned and I was underwhelmed by the food and atmosphere. This restaurant used to be crowded and a great seen for young professionals. There were not many tables filled and it seemed more like a family atmosphere. I wil not be back, unfortunately.Special Features:
- FantasticTayloraeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food, delicious sake, fantastic service. Really, really fantastic service. The only complaint I had was that our oh-toro was gristly. Tanoshii had much higher quality in my experience.Special Features:
- Exciting dining experienceAirborne377Dined on 9/6/2014A very nice dinner experience! Greeted promptly when we entered and taken directly to our table. The staff are very friendly and explained the menu perfectly. The food is amazing with incredible attention to detail. Would recommend an early reservation to avoid the big dinner rush as it gets very loud. However the whole family loved the experience, we are already planning on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!PilgrimDined on 9/6/2014Cannot wait to return. Conversely, upon our first impression I thought we had made a big mistake by dining there. The greet staff was cold and uninviting- almost rude. Previously, with my husband, we were seated at the best table. This time, I was seated at the secondary area and when I asked if we could dine in the other area our host was curt in his refusal. So I prepared myself for a quick exit following a short ap course. But the exact opposite occurred with our waiter Rogalia. He was fabulous and we enjoyed many of the house specialities.I have dined at the city's best and this restaurant proved to be so very special with a formidable wine and sake list. Amazing night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night diningFooddelightseekerDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic experience, service was outstanding and food was a delight. Morimoto does not disappoint! I have several food allergies and the menu was adjusted and tailored to my needs. The Omakasa provided a great tasting experience. The combination was intersting and extremely filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!acev12Dined on 9/3/2014Definitely going back! Fresh fish, creative interactive dishes, knowledgeable and genuinely considerate staff. Enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryVainillagourmetDined on 9/2/2014Must try the pork belly , the duck duck duck and the meet carpaccioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual outdoor diningBillVIPDined on 9/1/2014We had a great dinner downstairs on comfortable love seats. Food was excellent and service perfect. They (Billy) even called when a friend forgot a wrap on the sofa when we left.
- AmazingDrewBabyVIPDined on 9/1/2014The food is presented as art and it all tastes amazing. The table side tofu was very cool to have science happen right in front of you. I will be back as soon as I can and am going to suggest everyone to try this place. The menu is awesome too! Great place to go for a date or a special occasion.Special Features:
- Expensive but great experiencebonlomDined on 9/1/2014Amazing food. Server was very helpful with recommendations. Service was not rushed. Nice, calm atmosphere, sat near sushi bar. Good bar drinks...try the mango martini. Shared the chicken noodle soup, very tasty. Rolls were very fresh... bite size pieces, too. Oh-Toro and chu-toro were amazing, worth the price. Foie gras oysters were small but tasty, could have done without the sea urchin. Duck, Duck, Duck was very good and well prepared. Wagyu beef was also amazing, worth the price. Sea bass was perfectly prepared. Wasabi raspberry sorbet with toasted black rice was the perfect ending. Best meal we had in Chicago!Special Features:
- ImpeccableLive2Learn2EatDined on 8/31/2014Sitting close to the kitchen is the best way to go so that you can see all of the fantastic dishes coming from the chef. The table service is fantastic - the waiter's descriptions of the dishes were spot on an more helpful than any other I'd received. The runners were very knowledgeable and demonstrated how to eat even the most obscure foods. From the aesthetic to the taste-bud experience, this was a restaurant that will repeated. Only regret is not having anything for desert.Special Features:
- Terrible Servicechigirl1111Dined on 8/31/2014The food was good, but the service made our experience there lousy. When you ask for water multiple times and then start serving it to yourself, it's a problem. I wouldn't go back, no matter how great the food was.Special Features:
- Great experience!FandWmavenDined on 8/31/2014The menu is impressive and truly has something for everyone, even if you're not a sushi fan. Our waiter was phenomenal and was clearly motivated to give us a good experience. He made suggestions we wouldn't have thought about as far as sharing items, wine pairings, and created a progressive meal for us. This was a little more pricey than we had planned, but he was mindful of keeping within our stated budget. All in all, it was a fun evening and a great experience. The only downside was that it was expensive. It was definitely an indulgent splurge. The Duck Confit Fried Rice is unbelievable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappyRougeDined on 8/30/2014I went there with good expectetions but it was a delusion. The service awful ! They forgot about us and the food wasn t good. All of these really expensive . So they were preteding to be cool but it wasn t at all.
- delicious mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014We chose Japonais at the recommendation of a friend while we were visiting Chicago. The space is beautiful and the food and cocktails were delicious and unique. We enjoyed a sampling of sushi with the guidance of our server, as well as the table side tofu and the black cod. We sat at the sushi counter and got great entertainment with our meal. The only downside was that the service was a bit slow throughout the night. All in all it was a great dinner and we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014After hearing mixed reviews, I finally checked out Japonais and it was amazing. The food was great and the ambiance was just right. Would defintely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!LkkeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our dinner was delicious. The sushi was fresh, steak cooked perfectly, and wine selection divine. Our server was knowledgeable and took time explaining details about the menu. It was quite expensive but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun nightDeeBrownDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good. Atmosphere was GREAT!. Waiter kept pushing us to order more...said what we were ordering was very light. (so we ordered more, but then had a lot leftover..annoying)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japonaiscubfan1Dined on 8/23/2014Wonderful evening. Service was better than excellent. The only drawback was the noise level. It was very difficult to hear each other.Special Features:
- Great since Morimoto took overDrilldocDined on 8/23/2014My experience was vastly better than my last experience at Japonais. The sushi was fresh and not dried out, the rice was perfectly cooked and not dried out with no flavor. I questioned whether I would return after my outing last year but things have definitely improved. Service was excellent. Looking forward to trying some other dishes on the menu next time.Special Features:
- hip spot to hang outChiDKDined on 8/23/2014Food was good, drinks were strong! Waitress was nice and available when needed. Relaxed seating was fun although the stools opposite our table were uncomfortable...Special Features:
- Great foodHiddengemDined on 8/23/2014I've looked all over for a suitable restaurant that serves Japanese food and this is the first one I have found and liked. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is great. I love the bar downstairs. This place is a hidden gem. Thank you for delivering an awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional in nearly every wayMalHDined on 8/22/2014Although pricey, as expected, everything else lived up to my expectations too. Fun experience with food fit for sharing. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious!dschuDined on 8/22/2014I went with a group of 4 and we've all read and heard great things about Japonais. It definitely did not disappoint. Every single course that came out was amazing, the server was knowledgeable and helpful, and the ambiance was impressive. We got steak, sushi, shrimp, sushimi - it was all great; we wish we had room for dessert. The ingredients were fresh and you could tell it was high quality. The only thing we did not love were the drinks from their signature drink menu. We each got something different and no one was very satisfied with it; although the beer by Morimoto was very good. We hardly cared about our off drinks though because the food was too good to think twice about it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014This was the second time I have been at Japonais sine it was bought by Morimoto. And it was the second time I was disappointed. I use to love the food and energy of Japonais but it unfortunately it has changed. The variety in the menu has decreased and the room has become a little more stuffy. I will not return.Special Features:
- Good not greatMissVIPDined on 8/16/2014While the sushi was quite good (the uni was outstanding) the rest of the food was just ok. Unfortunately it did not compare to other Morimoto restaurants (Phiily and Napa.) While I probably won't go back I would still recommend someone try it at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeply DisappointedJaponaisStayAwayDined on 8/16/2014Japonais. The name. The pedigree. The reputation. Combine one of Chicago's most formidable sushi restaurants with the refined skills of Iron Chef Morimoto and you'd think the powerhouse combination would produce an unbeatable dining experience, but alas... I don't mind a lively environment, but the restaurant was so over-the-top noisy that it seemed necessary to shout, just to speak to and be heard by my wife, across the table. By the end of the evening, my ears were ringing. The waiter, who made certain that we knew he had lived in Japan for ten years... TWICE. He simply would not shut up, oversold relentlessly, so much so that we ordered the not-very-good, yet very expensive omekase just to get rid of him. All told... I won't return.
- A revamped JaponaisMameVIPDined on 8/16/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. All of fresh and creative. Sushi was lovely as was the duck inspired fried rice. Will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revamped!AskEv3Dined on 8/15/2014The newly revamped Japonais is outstanding! I loved it before, and now it has a fresh face & new menu! Just awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.