Japonais by Morimoto
600 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Japonais by Morimoto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonaismorimoto.com/
- Phone: (312) 822-9600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Japanese
- Executive Chef: CHEF HISANOBU OSAKA
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Japonais by Morimoto
Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu,Continued
sake and craft beers.
sake and craft beers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Japonais by Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (197)special occasion (170)hot spot (123)romantic (95)good for groups (94)vibrant bar scene (49)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (36)great for outdoor dining (31)late-night find (28)scenic view (24)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (2)Show More
- 35 th AnniversaryRickDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I celebrated our 35th anniversary by traveling to Chicago and enjoying Japonois. We have been to this place before it was associated with Morimoto and must admit that it was excellent before but is even better now. We enjoyed many different plates while at Japonois and did not even order a main course. Our server was excellent, the ambiance was great. Great place to celebrate a milestone in our life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPPKJPPKDined on 11/15/2014Morimoto has struck it rich with this gem in Chicago! Arriving ahead of our reservation, we were greeted and sat at the bar/lounge downstairs where our evening kicked into full gear with exceptional bar service and overall selection. The entire staff heard of our honeymoon dinner celebration and unbeknownst to us, passed along the info quickly with well wishes and absolute cheer for the evening effortlessly provided alongside their impeccable service! My partner and I decided to try the recommended Omakase and it was absolutely AMAZING and worth every penny, twice over! With an impressive wine/sake selection to accompany an amazing menu of crafty and delicious delicacies, this is a must do experience in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrystalBillDined on 11/14/2014Always a delightful experience. I really like the rock. Always fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and elegant.VerseoflifeDined on 11/14/2014Everything was exceptionally fresh and delicious. The service was a little overwhelming: lots of information and suggestive selling/prodding for upgrades. The atmosphere is wonderful: not too bright and not too dark, not too loud and not too quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014While the Duck Duck Duck was amazing, the wagyu beef tasted similar to salami. The bench seating along the walls was extremely low and uncomfortable. However, the wait staff was prompt and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingYumzoDined on 11/8/2014Absolutely loved all of the food. Server was knowledgeable and helpful in creating the perfect meal for us all. Great spot for sharing different sushi and entrees. Flavorful food and fresh fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious, awful serviceEnbarVIPDined on 11/8/2014The place is a pretentious and overrated Japanese-American restaurant. The ambience is good but some tables had a noise level near rudeness. Food was ok, although I expected more creativity in the rolls of a Morimoto restaurant. However, what made everything go down the drain was the service, in particular the attitude of our waiter. He spent the whole night telling us how much he knew about Japan, the food, the drinks, every single question we asked came with a patronizing response and a sense of superiority. Maybe the restaurant is not that bad, but being in an above-the-average price diner, you would expect a little more service experience from the waiter, as opposed to him treating every single guest as an illiterate, ignorant vagabond.
- Great, but not TranscendantUnshavenMarcDined on 11/8/2014The meal was balanced, with considerable portions, and memorable. I will knock points off only to comment that at the beginning of our meal our server made a point that "each dish will be sent out as soon as it's ready." This would leave me with the expectation of piping hot food. The Duck Duck Duck was by no means piping. It was a good temperature... but not exactly as I might have imagined it. Ultimately the wife and I would come back to Japonais. But with a hefty price tag, and so many other options throughout the city... i can't say that this was an 'Iron Chef' experience worthy of removing the curiosity of all the other unexplored locales. Japonais was wonderful, if not entirely life-altering. So sayeth the suburbanites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morí moto never dissapointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2014Food And drinks where great. Amazing flavor combinations and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSidelDined on 11/6/2014Every item was great from Sushi, appetizers, to cooked entrees Service was impeccable. Highly recommended . Japanese doesn't get better than this. Hot rock was fabulous Every item was great from Sushi, appetizers, to cooked entrees Service was impeccable. Highly recommended . Japanese doesn't get better than this. Hot rock was fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing remodaDonaldVIPDined on 11/6/2014When visitng CHGO we always went to Japonais and this trip was no different. We were actually at Japonais the night before it closed for remodal so we were very excited to be going back In our opinion, the atmospher and service was basically flat as it did not have the style and pinash of the orginal Japonais. Now enough for the atmosphere and go to the food. The menu is far more limited, however, the quality of our appetizers, sushi and main course were 5 STAR.... The Tuna Pizza was fantastic along with the Seasoned Crab Legs.. All in all we loved our meals ,however, lett disappointed in the overall experience.Special Features:
- 1234Dined on 11/1/2014Table was not ready during the time of the reservation, the host did not get us when the table was ready, the server was not attentive, and the note I left in the OpenTable reservation was not acknowledged. Definitely disappointed in the standard for Morimoto's restaurant.
- Tones17Dined on 11/1/2014We had been to Japonais prior to Chef Morimoto taking over, and both experiences were fantastic. All of the staff, from the hosts to the waiters and bartenders were very sweet, accommodating, and very knowledgable about the menu and ingredients. The stand-outs dishes included the Braised Black Cod with ginger and soy reduction. I'm normally not a fan of these flavors, especially combined, but considering the quality of the food decided to give it a chance, and I am so glad I did. The flavors were subtle but very full, I could have had several more of this dish alone! We also added on the duck confit fried rice, which was just rich enough and super flavorful. Overall, a fabulous experience from start to finish.Special Features:
- Sweet but SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I've been waiting years to try Japonais and it was overall a good experience. The man with the English accent that brought us to our table was so friendly and accommodating but we felt rushed to finish our appetizers because our entrees were ready and they wanted to clear the table before they brought it out. The oysters with foie gras and uni was delicious! Everything just melts in your mouth. I ordered the Lamb with Risotto but it was too salty for me. My friend had the Duck duck duck and everything on there was amazing! We saved room for desert but nothing on the menu stood out for us.Special Features:
- Overpriced and over workedPickyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Food was good, but not good enough for the prices and poor service. Looks like it has become a place to over dress and speak loudly to be seen and heard.Special Features:
- I'm going to make a world tourGrapesVIPDined on 11/1/2014Of Morimoto's restaurants! Fabulous food, well prepared with art and personable, sharing wait staff! Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!GusdroteandolikeakingDined on 10/31/2014Great food and cool ambience!!!! I definitely would return to try more dishes. Asked for level 12 Wagyu beef (not in the menu) and had the best culinary experience of my life!Special Features:
- Totally worth it!!!avalanchedivaDined on 10/31/2014Iron Chef's place did not disappoint. We tried the Chef's Omakase, a 7 course meal--a great idea for wanting to taste everything. Every course just got better and better: began with toro tartare (an Iron Chef classic), a whitefish carpaccio, bagna cauda (delicious!), a spicy fish stew (with clams, mussels, fish, crab, scallop, shrimp), a nigiri sushi course (ranging from tuna to abalone!), the ultimate surf and turf (lobster with Morimoto's signature garam masala spice and a wagyu steak with Japanese potatoes) and dessert (mango pudding which was AMAZING!) Granted I am a huge Iron Chef & Morimoto fan, but I am not one for seafood. I thought, if I'm gonna do seafood anywhere, might as well be here! Perfect for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contribution to a coronaryNSJJDined on 10/31/2014I expected to not have half a block of butter in my food when I ordered some Udon. The sushi was dry and honestly not what I expected to get at a Morimoto restaurant. The Sushi at Union Barbecue is ten times better. No. No. No.
- DisappointedLb0313VIPDined on 10/26/2014Don't waste your money. First time here since Morimoto took over and so not worth it. They changed the menu and took off some great staples. Sushi ordinary, at best. Server seemed bored and did not bring us everything we ordered. Bus staff was great - only redeeming part.Special Features:
- Great sushimkhtlVIPDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed fabulous rolls and sushi. Will definitely come back to try some other offerings. We were there at 10:00pm on a Saturday night - nice - not empty but not crowded either. Pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fabulous meal!lisade809Dined on 10/25/2014What a wonderful evening. This place truly lives up to it's reputation. My sons ordered the lamb carpaccio, which sounded awful (raw lamb??) but was amazing. The shrimp tempura was different than any I had before, but excellent. The tofu made tableside was a feast for all of the senses. Each of the entrees was excellent, however my son ordered the wagyu surf and turf and we all agreed that was the best of the bunch - fitting as it was his birthday celebration. I would definitely choose this restaurant again, pricey but well worth it.Special Features:
- high expectations not metDB5NotesDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I had a reservation at 6 pm on Saturday night. We were seated in the the isle of the main walk way, while the rest of the seating was only 20% full. Everyone that was seated after us had to walk by us, including the staff, all night long. The interior design was exquisite, it was great to enjoy that atmosphere. Our waiter was sub par. I think I've had better service at a Denny's than what he provided. My to the sushi was marginal, It was very traditional sushi and it was good, don't get me wrong, I just thought that there would be some specialty dishes that would wow us. I felt like I could get the same sushi in any decent sushi restaurant. The sea bass dinner was great though. It was the highlight of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening with coworkersCheers2youDined on 10/25/2014My son is training to become a chef here. We came out to support him. The staff were fun & knowledgeable about the menu. The food was great! We are planning to return with a larger group to try more menu items. Thank you for a great experience and a new family friendly place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around amazingAntjonezDined on 10/24/2014Worth the extra buck. We are goodies from Minneapolis, and went to this witow expectations, but we're surprised. Amazing service, food, all around awesome. You won't regret trying this place when in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food,very expensiveFrequentdinerDined on 10/24/2014Sushi/sashimi is very fresh. Pork belly in congee is excellent , so is shrimp tempuraSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushi we've ever had!BaileykissDined on 10/23/2014My boyfriend and I went here on a Thursday night! We had a 9 pm reservation but hung out in the bar/lounge downstairs from about 8 until our table was ready. Great atmosphere in the lounge, excellent energy from the staff. I am a total foodie, my boyfriend likes to tease me of this, but this was honestly the best sushi I've ever had. It's more traditional in style which I love, no crazy maki's covered in mayo. We've both traveled the world and have enjoyed sushi in Asian countries, my boyfriend has even ranked this higher than his sushi experience in Japan! Our recommendation is the yellowtail belly sashimi if they had it on special and the salmon skin maki, but really you can't go wrong with anything you choose. Truly 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my radarfoodie2VIPDined on 10/22/2014Japonais has been on my radar for a while. It was the first time for our party of 3. We ordered many items to share. Each selection we tried was marvelous. The waiter picked up empty plates as we devoured. This is one of the best meals that I have enjoyed in a while. We ordered yellow tail and smoked salmon sashimi, assorted sushi, sashimi chef salad, roasted sea bass and angry chicken. Each was excellent! We topped this off with 3 different desserts: cheesecake, Air cheesecake, and the sorbet/gelato/ice cream combination. Japonais has been placed on my favorites list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiDiVIPDined on 10/19/2014Hostess very sweet and accomodating. Bar Service with Al was great. He is very knowlegeable and enthusiastic! An asset to this restaurant. Presentation of food is lovely. And delicious. I do think the food is a bit pricey, but overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks and makisofiadujourVIPDined on 10/18/2014While we waited over 20 minutes for our reserved table, we enjoyed the lounge downstairs. Fantastic drinks, unique and balanced. Maki are simple but exceptional, barely needing soy sauce. I would go for those 2 in the lounge next time. Food upstairs was OK - not to the Morimoto level I was expecting, our food sounded better than it tasted. Duck duck duck dish had a boring duck soup (could have been any other meat), duck fried rice (again, could have been any other meat and very small amount of it), dry duck thigh, but at least the breast meat was delicious. Not worth $35. Kakuni was good, as was Ishi Yaki Hamachi Bop. Service was ridiculously slow, our server took a while to come around to take our order and wasn't present much afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/18/2014A great bar scene to start - perfect place to begin the evening with a cocktail. Service was fantastic throughout the evening, from the moment we walked in, to the bar, and throughout dinner. As for food, I was very impressed. The uni carbonara was really fantastic. Sushi featured great fish, but it could have been seasoned a little better. Still, it was respectable. Desserts, particularly the coconut fritters, were fantastic. Overall, a terrific dinner.Special Features:
- WondefulKlc102106Dined on 10/18/2014We had a wonderful evening at japonias. The waiter helped us by picking out great sashimi based on our preferences. The shellfish tapan yaki and pork dumplings with bacon foam were amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French-asian fusionEthanaelVIPDined on 10/17/2014We enter here into a fiah master that only select the best quality to create this subtle fusion plate. But not only the food will delight you, the bar is one of the best tried. Ask for the smokey glass and they will literally burn wood on the bar and smoke the glass in front if you. Or better! Ask for the white truffle cocktail that is combine with pear flavor. This will directly make you understand that the barman knows what he s doing and that Violet hours is just a regular place. The only problem here is the usual high level of noise in big restaurant in Midwest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeSandJDined on 10/15/2014What a great evening. We let our server Michael take us through the menu (5 courses). Everything he chose was beyond what we expected. This was a perfect evening. Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- WowJakeDined on 10/14/2014Food is amazing, great platting .... Just deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT restaurantLaloDined on 10/13/2014The only thing that I could complaint about was the music. We had reservations at 7pm and towards the end of the night; the music was kind of loud and the restaurant was noisy, I wouldnt expect much noise in a restaurant like this. I picture Japoinas as a quiet, Beautiful, romantic restaurant where the music is low and you don't have to tell at each other to hear you. Overall, I love the food, the staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostility includedFlorestanDined on 10/10/2014The food was mostly decent.Not the sushi: might as well have been store bought.As for rest: very good, but not nearly as remarkable as our surly waiter would have us believe.The entire evening, he seemed more concerned with praising the chef than providing us with a pleasant dining experience, berating us while we ordered and up-selling like a use car salesman.One would think he would at least get the order right. But no. He proposed a cold app because the warm app would take time. Warm app was delivered immediately, the wrong cold app followed soon after.The waiter checked in on occasion but walked off before we could answer. A rhetorical question.Food and service far better under previous management. Never again.
- Dont go unless you tip 25%FGY1VIPDined on 10/7/2014Don't go this place unless you plan on tipping a min 25%. After dropping $1200 for a meal and leaving a reasonable 15%, the manager had the audacity to stop me at the exit and grill me fo 15 minutes. I could not believe it! Food was truely iron chef worthy and excellent. I would recommend this to everyone had it not been for the greedy manager. The dinner service was also excellent and i feel bad for the waiter group at this place if they have management like this. My advice, go if you can afford to tip very high. Otherwise, wait for management change.Special Features:
- AverageAverageVIPDined on 10/6/2014Average menu nothing special. The pork kakuni is good but sushi roll and maki roll I feel like I can get it in any restaurant. I wouldn't recommend to a friend. Overpriced.Special Features:
- Last mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014I would have duck duck duck as my last meal hands down. Sorry mom. Hiamachi tacos were to die for as well as the dessert.