Japonais by Morimoto
600 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Japonais by Morimoto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonaismorimoto.com/
- Phone: 3128229600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Japanese
- Executive Chef: CHEF HISANOBU OSAKA
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Japonais by Morimoto
Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu,Continued
sake and craft beers.
sake and craft beers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Japonais by Morimoto - Best Restaurants in River West ›
Japonais by Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (196)special occasion (163)hot spot (117)good for groups (90)romantic (90)vibrant bar scene (49)great for outdoor dining (44)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (38)scenic view (29)late-night find (27)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (1)Show More
- DiDiVIPDined on 10/19/2014Hostess very sweet and accomodating. Bar Service with Al was great. He is very knowlegeable and enthusiastic! An asset to this restaurant. Presentation of food is lovely. And delicious. I do think the food is a bit pricey, but overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks and makisofiadujourVIPDined on 10/18/2014While we waited over 20 minutes for our reserved table, we enjoyed the lounge downstairs. Fantastic drinks, unique and balanced. Maki are simple but exceptional, barely needing soy sauce. I would go for those 2 in the lounge next time. Food upstairs was OK - not to the Morimoto level I was expecting, our food sounded better than it tasted. Duck duck duck dish had a boring duck soup (could have been any other meat), duck fried rice (again, could have been any other meat and very small amount of it), dry duck thigh, but at least the breast meat was delicious. Not worth $35. Kakuni was good, as was Ishi Yaki Hamachi Bop. Service was ridiculously slow, our server took a while to come around to take our order and wasn't present much afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WondefulKlc102106Dined on 10/18/2014We had a wonderful evening at japonias. The waiter helped us by picking out great sashimi based on our preferences. The shellfish tapan yaki and pork dumplings with bacon foam were amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French-asian fusionEthanaelVIPDined on 10/17/2014We enter here into a fiah master that only select the best quality to create this subtle fusion plate. But not only the food will delight you, the bar is one of the best tried. Ask for the smokey glass and they will literally burn wood on the bar and smoke the glass in front if you. Or better! Ask for the white truffle cocktail that is combine with pear flavor. This will directly make you understand that the barman knows what he s doing and that Violet hours is just a regular place. The only problem here is the usual high level of noise in big restaurant in Midwest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowJakeDined on 10/14/2014Food is amazing, great platting .... Just deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT restaurantLaloDined on 10/13/2014The only thing that I could complaint about was the music. We had reservations at 7pm and towards the end of the night; the music was kind of loud and the restaurant was noisy, I wouldnt expect much noise in a restaurant like this. I picture Japoinas as a quiet, Beautiful, romantic restaurant where the music is low and you don't have to tell at each other to hear you. Overall, I love the food, the staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostility includedFlorestanDined on 10/10/2014The food was mostly decent.Not the sushi: might as well have been store bought.As for rest: very good, but not nearly as remarkable as our surly waiter would have us believe.The entire evening, he seemed more concerned with praising the chef than providing us with a pleasant dining experience, berating us while we ordered and up-selling like a use car salesman.One would think he would at least get the order right. But no. He proposed a cold app because the warm app would take time. Warm app was delivered immediately, the wrong cold app followed soon after.The waiter checked in on occasion but walked off before we could answer. A rhetorical question.Food and service far better under previous management. Never again.
- Dont go unless you tip 25%FGY1VIPDined on 10/7/2014Don't go this place unless you plan on tipping a min 25%. After dropping $1200 for a meal and leaving a reasonable 15%, the manager had the audacity to stop me at the exit and grill me fo 15 minutes. I could not believe it! Food was truely iron chef worthy and excellent. I would recommend this to everyone had it not been for the greedy manager. The dinner service was also excellent and i feel bad for the waiter group at this place if they have management like this. My advice, go if you can afford to tip very high. Otherwise, wait for management change.Special Features:
- AverageAverageVIPDined on 10/6/2014Average menu nothing special. The pork kakuni is good but sushi roll and maki roll I feel like I can get it in any restaurant. I wouldn't recommend to a friend. Overpriced.Special Features:
- Last mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014I would have duck duck duck as my last meal hands down. Sorry mom. Hiamachi tacos were to die for as well as the dessert.
- Good for Fun Night Out, Not a DateOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/4/2014Japonais is trendy, but noisy because it is really a place to be seen rather than eat a nice meal. As many others have noted, your table is almost never ready so the move your downstairs to try and get you to buy drinks in the lounge. Service was good from everyone except the waitress herself. The folks who explain the food are great.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceNapTownFoodieDined on 10/4/2014We had dinner and it definitely did not disappoint. We had 2 sushi rolls that were very good, the hot stone New York Strip that was delicious. The star of our dinner was the Sea Bass -- marvelous. So moist and buttery. Overall, we were very pleased.Special Features:
- Japonais "Rocks"gottago2JaponaisDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I have eaten at Japonais several times and loved it every time. We brought our adult children with us this time. I have raved about the rock appetizer for years; they were blown away as well. Highly recommend Japonais! We loved everything and they even had my favorite champagne by the glass! Japonais is on my "must do" list when o visit Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great girls night out!DiningDivaDined on 10/3/2014An overall 10! Excellent food! Great ambiance! Beautiful surroundings! We were not rushed and the waiter was cute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!KHAsaziDined on 9/30/2014We ordered the chef selection, and the waiter, said, great, sit back, relax and will take you on a trip! It absolutely was! An amazing 7 course meal, with favors and hints from around the world!Special Features:
- PresentationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Sushi was great. Presentation of food was excellent.Special Features:
- Paying for the Morimoto name...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/30/2014I have always had mixed feelings about Japonais. I will say that after not going for two plus years, the food is MUCH better. We had the soft shell crab roll, the wagyu "The Rock" and the duck confit fried rice (my favorite item that was also reasonably priced) everything else on the menu was a bit... underwhelming and overpriced. BUT, as my title says.. I think you pay for the chef name behind the food. The drinks were GREAT.. I had the serenity and the Take Five. Both great options. The Soft shell crab roll was 4-5 large pieces.. and the wagyu beef app was about 7 thin slices of beef.. so if you want to be full by the time you leave, ORDER/PAY more. ;) I might go back for drinks but the food wasn't outstanding by any means. Sorry Chef!Special Features:
- One of my worst dining experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I had high hopes for Japonais but the combination of poor service, mediocre food and not feeling well the entire next day means that we will never go back. As soon as we arrived for our 8:30 reservation we were told to go down to the blue bar downstairs since our table wasn't ready yet. After waiting another 10 minutes we were finally seated at a table outside. Realizing that the restaurant was busy we were initially satisfied with our temporary seating, then 10 minutes went by, then another, then another and still no wait staff to take our drink order. After 30 minutes of waiting we finally got a drink and were shown our table inside. To make a long story shorter, the food was mediocre (except the shrimp appetizer )
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Made a reservation and still waited over 30 mins for my table. Not funSpecial Features:
- Great food, questionable seatingChowindown67Dined on 9/26/2014Everything was perfect except for the obnoxious couple next to us. With a reservation I figured I would of had a better table but we didn't. I'm not a fan of the shared bench seating, but other than that it was a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014It's really a shame. This used to be one of my favorite spots in the city, but, now the service is so bad I will never go back.Special Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014Had a great waiter who helped us with our selection of both cocktails and food. Awesome food and we had a blast.Special Features:
- Pinnacle of Dining ExperiencesaltumaxDined on 9/24/2014I went to a lot of places on my business trip into Chicago - a lot of well-reviewed, highly-rated, fine-dining establishments. Japonais by Morimoto was unquestionably the very best of all these. The food was incredible, the service was unbelievably professional and accommodating, and the entire experience will never be forgotten. We brought a group of 5 and ordered a great variety of appetizer, entree, and sushi dishes - not a single one that didn't taste incredible, with striking presentation and wonderful instruction from the waitstaff. The sushi was the freshest I've ever had, the appetizers were striking and cutting edge, and the entrees were perfectly executed! I would definitely travel back to Chicago just to eat here again!!Special Features:
- Poor AssumptionoperabuffaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Although I am not as traveled as many with food I am fair well experienced and have lived in several countries know for their food culture. Also I tend never to write anything negative but the server truly took away from the experience. When I go to a new sushi restaurant I truly like to let the experience unfold so I normally get Omakase neither the chef nor the server made me feel confident about put my experience in their hands so I ordered a la carte. The server was not happy with this! I have been going to sushi restaurants all my life, from holes in the walls to 5 stars, and this is the first time I have felt like a lower class for ordering in waves. Plan to go to the philly morimoto but never Chicago again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014We were all pleasantly surprised with the entire experience at Japonais. Sometimes the service and the food at most celebrity chef restaurants are over priced and over rated. Not this time! The two dishes that stood out for us was the oysters with foie gras and the mango pudding dessert. Delicious!Special Features:
- Pleasently surprisedchicagolovesfoodVIPDined on 9/20/2014I had heard so much about Japonais since moving to Chicago, but finally (after 4 years!) tried it out. Our table wasn't ready, so they pointed us to the Blue Room to order drinks. Since we're going non-alcoholic for the month of September, I told the bar keeper and he told us about the Uzu lemonade and then said he'd concoct something for us -- well, he concocted correctly because he did a mocktail version of their St Thomas and if anyone knows me, they know I love cucumber. After a longer wait (35 minutes) our table was ready. We had a great server who went through the menu with us. We ended up ordering the tuna tartare, 3 maki rolls and Morimoto cheesecake and it was more than enough. Next time, we'll ask to sit at the sushi bar.Special Features:
- Absolutely great!DdinerDined on 9/20/2014Japonais was everything we were hoping it would be. The staff was very informative and helpful. The restauant was beautiful. The food was excellent. We tried a number of dishes and shared them all and each one was more than we expected. Thank you for a fabulous evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was horribleCourtney12VIPDined on 9/20/2014I got there early and had a drink downstairs which was great. The bartender was awesome. Our reservation was for 7:30pm and we didn't sit till 8:15pm. Group of 7. Our waiter took our order for 2 bottles of wine and it took about 15 minutes for those to come. They don't keep the wine at the table, so the waiter should check often to see if he needs to fill up the glasses. Twice we were dry for a long time before he came to fill them up. We ordered 2 more bottles and those took just as long to get as the first. The food was very good, but our waiter was horrible. At the end we asked for the manager and all he did was give us each a card with his name written on it saying please come back for "VIP" service. No thanks.Special Features:
- Only one complaint!HillaryQuinnDined on 9/20/2014This was our second time at Japonais, first time since Morimoto has arrived. We loved the food, had a great experience - even loved waiting in the bar before hand by a very friendly and talented bartender. Our only damper on the night came when our waiter treated us like we weren't worth his time. I can only guess it is because we are in our early/mid 20s. I don't know maybe he thought we wouldn't spend much? Or know much? But he gave the table next to ours a much different reception- including a whole introductory thing about the rebrand with morimoto. He was also visibly annoyed that we ordered a sushi roll for our "desert" after our meal. I understand that is out of the normal order but we told him sorry and very kindly to take his time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerjustafoodloverDined on 9/20/2014The waitress' recommendations were spot on. My drink was amazing, I think it was called White Lily? We had the 7 course chef's tasting special, and it was delicious! Definitely would drop in for the drinks and some of the items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A change not for the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014The new menu under the new ownership does not come close to the expectations set by the original restaurant. And I'm not being nostalgic, just descriptive a it was disappointing. This was my wife's and mine favorite sushi restuarant and bar hangout... Hopefully there are better things to come, knowing that the new owner has a lot of talent...
- cshodaDined on 9/19/2014Great experience at Japonais by Morimoto, highly recomend the chef special, a 7 course meal, to appreciate Morimoto's vision. The service was outstanding. They customized my chef's special around my preferences. All in all great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring earplugsSceltoDined on 9/18/2014I've been to Japonais three times now, but this was the first time I've sat on the side of the restaurant near the sashimi / sushi bar (i.e. left turn when you go in through the main door) and it was awful. The service and food were as good as always, but with the echoing, music and loud voices of people trying to make themselves heard it was impossible to hold a normal conversation once it got busy, and I was glad to get out.Special Features:
- Amazing. Period.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014From the minute you walk in the door you are treated with some of the most amazing and hospitable service in Chicago. Period. Very refreshing now a days! Chef Morimoto 's food speaks for itself. He is in a league of his own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first experiencecookiemonsterDined on 9/16/2014Very impressed with the level of service. Sat down at the Blue Room bar for a drink (bartender was personable and charming). Ended up having dinner at the bar instead of upstairs. Food was delicious - tuna pizza and shrimp tempura to start, finished with two sushi rolls: eel and avo & spicy Hamachi. Bartender made a very mean old fashion. Will be back again with a larger group!Special Features:
- Japonais, a gastronomic delightMctjmDined on 9/14/2014Overall the Japonais experience was memorable. My Ginger braised black cod was amazing, my husband liked , not loved his sea bass. However he did love the salmon sushi and the soft shell crab roll. One complaint was that they didn't have items listed on their menu- the merlot we picked as well as the type of salmon sushi that we ordered, however their substitutions were acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overratedtable42VIPDined on 9/13/2014Service is what brought this review down. For top prices and a top chef I expect great service. Yeah the food was pretty good. My suggestion is to train the wait staff better.
- OverratedemjayefVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very disappointed. Hadn't been here in awhile, but always had good experience. This time, food and drinks were overpriced and not high quality. Service poorly paced and slow.
- iron chefs know their businessjohngVIPDined on 9/13/2014as with most other iron chefs, they all know how to open great restaurants. And to run them properly. The food was outstanding, the choices and presentations were exciting and vibrant. The service was dedicated and timely. I would go there again.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Waited forever to get any kind of service from our waiter. After the point we received our menus we never saw him again. Can you believe that?! We had reservations but showed up early to have a drink and we experienced great pressure to sit at the bar by both the bartender and the manager. Awful!!! Great food was ruined by service. Will not be back.Special Features: