Japonais by Morimoto
600 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Japonais by Morimoto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonaismorimoto.com/
- Phone: 3128229600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Japanese
- Executive Chef: CHEF HISANOBU OSAKA
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Japonais by Morimoto
Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu,Continued
sake and craft beers.
sake and craft beers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Japonais by Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (204)special occasion (172)hot spot (122)romantic (101)good for groups (99)vibrant bar scene (66)great for outdoor dining (55)notable wine list (47)scenic view (40)neighborhood gem (39)late-night find (34)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (2)Show More
- One of my worst dining experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I had high hopes for Japonais but the combination of poor service, mediocre food and not feeling well the entire next day means that we will never go back. As soon as we arrived for our 8:30 reservation we were told to go down to the blue bar downstairs since our table wasn't ready yet. After waiting another 10 minutes we were finally seated at a table outside. Realizing that the restaurant was busy we were initially satisfied with our temporary seating, then 10 minutes went by, then another, then another and still no wait staff to take our drink order. After 30 minutes of waiting we finally got a drink and were shown our table inside. To make a long story shorter, the food was mediocre (except the shrimp appetizer )
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Made a reservation and still waited over 30 mins for my table. Not funSpecial Features:
- Great food, questionable seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Everything was perfect except for the obnoxious couple next to us. With a reservation I figured I would of had a better table but we didn't. I'm not a fan of the shared bench seating, but other than that it was a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014It's really a shame. This used to be one of my favorite spots in the city, but, now the service is so bad I will never go back.Special Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014Had a great waiter who helped us with our selection of both cocktails and food. Awesome food and we had a blast.Special Features:
- Pinnacle of Dining ExperiencesaltumaxDined on 9/24/2014I went to a lot of places on my business trip into Chicago - a lot of well-reviewed, highly-rated, fine-dining establishments. Japonais by Morimoto was unquestionably the very best of all these. The food was incredible, the service was unbelievably professional and accommodating, and the entire experience will never be forgotten. We brought a group of 5 and ordered a great variety of appetizer, entree, and sushi dishes - not a single one that didn't taste incredible, with striking presentation and wonderful instruction from the waitstaff. The sushi was the freshest I've ever had, the appetizers were striking and cutting edge, and the entrees were perfectly executed! I would definitely travel back to Chicago just to eat here again!!Special Features:
- Poor AssumptionoperabuffaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Although I am not as traveled as many with food I am fair well experienced and have lived in several countries know for their food culture. Also I tend never to write anything negative but the server truly took away from the experience. When I go to a new sushi restaurant I truly like to let the experience unfold so I normally get Omakase neither the chef nor the server made me feel confident about put my experience in their hands so I ordered a la carte. The server was not happy with this! I have been going to sushi restaurants all my life, from holes in the walls to 5 stars, and this is the first time I have felt like a lower class for ordering in waves. Plan to go to the philly morimoto but never Chicago again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014We were all pleasantly surprised with the entire experience at Japonais. Sometimes the service and the food at most celebrity chef restaurants are over priced and over rated. Not this time! The two dishes that stood out for us was the oysters with foie gras and the mango pudding dessert. Delicious!Special Features:
- Pleasently surprisedchicagolovesfoodVIPDined on 9/20/2014I had heard so much about Japonais since moving to Chicago, but finally (after 4 years!) tried it out. Our table wasn't ready, so they pointed us to the Blue Room to order drinks. Since we're going non-alcoholic for the month of September, I told the bar keeper and he told us about the Uzu lemonade and then said he'd concoct something for us -- well, he concocted correctly because he did a mocktail version of their St Thomas and if anyone knows me, they know I love cucumber. After a longer wait (35 minutes) our table was ready. We had a great server who went through the menu with us. We ended up ordering the tuna tartare, 3 maki rolls and Morimoto cheesecake and it was more than enough. Next time, we'll ask to sit at the sushi bar.Special Features:
- Absolutely great!DdinerDined on 9/20/2014Japonais was everything we were hoping it would be. The staff was very informative and helpful. The restauant was beautiful. The food was excellent. We tried a number of dishes and shared them all and each one was more than we expected. Thank you for a fabulous evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was horribleCourtney12VIPDined on 9/20/2014I got there early and had a drink downstairs which was great. The bartender was awesome. Our reservation was for 7:30pm and we didn't sit till 8:15pm. Group of 7. Our waiter took our order for 2 bottles of wine and it took about 15 minutes for those to come. They don't keep the wine at the table, so the waiter should check often to see if he needs to fill up the glasses. Twice we were dry for a long time before he came to fill them up. We ordered 2 more bottles and those took just as long to get as the first. The food was very good, but our waiter was horrible. At the end we asked for the manager and all he did was give us each a card with his name written on it saying please come back for "VIP" service. No thanks.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerjustafoodloverDined on 9/20/2014The waitress' recommendations were spot on. My drink was amazing, I think it was called White Lily? We had the 7 course chef's tasting special, and it was delicious! Definitely would drop in for the drinks and some of the items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A change not for the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014The new menu under the new ownership does not come close to the expectations set by the original restaurant. And I'm not being nostalgic, just descriptive a it was disappointing. This was my wife's and mine favorite sushi restuarant and bar hangout... Hopefully there are better things to come, knowing that the new owner has a lot of talent...
- cshodaDined on 9/19/2014Great experience at Japonais by Morimoto, highly recomend the chef special, a 7 course meal, to appreciate Morimoto's vision. The service was outstanding. They customized my chef's special around my preferences. All in all great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring earplugsSceltoDined on 9/18/2014I've been to Japonais three times now, but this was the first time I've sat on the side of the restaurant near the sashimi / sushi bar (i.e. left turn when you go in through the main door) and it was awful. The service and food were as good as always, but with the echoing, music and loud voices of people trying to make themselves heard it was impossible to hold a normal conversation once it got busy, and I was glad to get out.Special Features:
- Amazing. Period.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014From the minute you walk in the door you are treated with some of the most amazing and hospitable service in Chicago. Period. Very refreshing now a days! Chef Morimoto 's food speaks for itself. He is in a league of his own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first experiencecookiemonsterDined on 9/16/2014Very impressed with the level of service. Sat down at the Blue Room bar for a drink (bartender was personable and charming). Ended up having dinner at the bar instead of upstairs. Food was delicious - tuna pizza and shrimp tempura to start, finished with two sushi rolls: eel and avo & spicy Hamachi. Bartender made a very mean old fashion. Will be back again with a larger group!Special Features:
- Japonais, a gastronomic delightMctjmDined on 9/14/2014Overall the Japonais experience was memorable. My Ginger braised black cod was amazing, my husband liked , not loved his sea bass. However he did love the salmon sushi and the soft shell crab roll. One complaint was that they didn't have items listed on their menu- the merlot we picked as well as the type of salmon sushi that we ordered, however their substitutions were acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overratedtable42VIPDined on 9/13/2014Service is what brought this review down. For top prices and a top chef I expect great service. Yeah the food was pretty good. My suggestion is to train the wait staff better.
- OverratedemjayefVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very disappointed. Hadn't been here in awhile, but always had good experience. This time, food and drinks were overpriced and not high quality. Service poorly paced and slow.
- iron chefs know their businessjohngVIPDined on 9/13/2014as with most other iron chefs, they all know how to open great restaurants. And to run them properly. The food was outstanding, the choices and presentations were exciting and vibrant. The service was dedicated and timely. I would go there again.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Waited forever to get any kind of service from our waiter. After the point we received our menus we never saw him again. Can you believe that?! We had reservations but showed up early to have a drink and we experienced great pressure to sit at the bar by both the bartender and the manager. Awful!!! Great food was ruined by service. Will not be back.Special Features:
- Not like it used to beHoleDined on 9/12/2014I remember how great this place was. I came back in town to meet some friends and it was just a shell of what it was before. Bar downstairs was empty on a Friday night at prime time. Some items were very good (Toro tartar) but the rolls were average. I just remember when this used to a real experience. Now it is nothing special.
- Great experience here!parkitDined on 9/11/2014I had a great experience here for me and my fiancee's anniversary. We were taken care of very well, and the food and service were excellent. We especially loved the Spicy King Crab appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chefs OmakaseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014I had a group of 7 and we ordered Chef's Omakase for the table. The seven courses were fantastic, all very different from each other.Special Features:
- Expectations fulfilled!minonk1Dined on 9/7/2014The food was perfectly prepared and the presentation was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so great anymoreCCCCVIPDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant was one of my favorites. Since the menu has changed, the food is not well seasoned and I was underwhelmed by the food and atmosphere. This restaurant used to be crowded and a great seen for young professionals. There were not many tables filled and it seemed more like a family atmosphere. I wil not be back, unfortunately.Special Features:
- FantasticTayloraeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food, delicious sake, fantastic service. Really, really fantastic service. The only complaint I had was that our oh-toro was gristly. Tanoshii had much higher quality in my experience.Special Features:
- Exciting dining experienceAirborne377Dined on 9/6/2014A very nice dinner experience! Greeted promptly when we entered and taken directly to our table. The staff are very friendly and explained the menu perfectly. The food is amazing with incredible attention to detail. Would recommend an early reservation to avoid the big dinner rush as it gets very loud. However the whole family loved the experience, we are already planning on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!PilgrimDined on 9/6/2014Cannot wait to return. Conversely, upon our first impression I thought we had made a big mistake by dining there. The greet staff was cold and uninviting- almost rude. Previously, with my husband, we were seated at the best table. This time, I was seated at the secondary area and when I asked if we could dine in the other area our host was curt in his refusal. So I prepared myself for a quick exit following a short ap course. But the exact opposite occurred with our waiter Rogalia. He was fabulous and we enjoyed many of the house specialities.I have dined at the city's best and this restaurant proved to be so very special with a formidable wine and sake list. Amazing night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night diningFooddelightseekerDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic experience, service was outstanding and food was a delight. Morimoto does not disappoint! I have several food allergies and the menu was adjusted and tailored to my needs. The Omakasa provided a great tasting experience. The combination was intersting and extremely filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!acev12Dined on 9/3/2014Definitely going back! Fresh fish, creative interactive dishes, knowledgeable and genuinely considerate staff. Enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryVainillagourmetDined on 9/2/2014Must try the pork belly , the duck duck duck and the meet carpaccioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual outdoor diningBillVIPDined on 9/1/2014We had a great dinner downstairs on comfortable love seats. Food was excellent and service perfect. They (Billy) even called when a friend forgot a wrap on the sofa when we left.
- AmazingDrewBabyVIPDined on 9/1/2014The food is presented as art and it all tastes amazing. The table side tofu was very cool to have science happen right in front of you. I will be back as soon as I can and am going to suggest everyone to try this place. The menu is awesome too! Great place to go for a date or a special occasion.Special Features:
- Expensive but great experiencebonlomDined on 9/1/2014Amazing food. Server was very helpful with recommendations. Service was not rushed. Nice, calm atmosphere, sat near sushi bar. Good bar drinks...try the mango martini. Shared the chicken noodle soup, very tasty. Rolls were very fresh... bite size pieces, too. Oh-Toro and chu-toro were amazing, worth the price. Foie gras oysters were small but tasty, could have done without the sea urchin. Duck, Duck, Duck was very good and well prepared. Wagyu beef was also amazing, worth the price. Sea bass was perfectly prepared. Wasabi raspberry sorbet with toasted black rice was the perfect ending. Best meal we had in Chicago!Special Features:
- ImpeccableLive2Learn2EatDined on 8/31/2014Sitting close to the kitchen is the best way to go so that you can see all of the fantastic dishes coming from the chef. The table service is fantastic - the waiter's descriptions of the dishes were spot on an more helpful than any other I'd received. The runners were very knowledgeable and demonstrated how to eat even the most obscure foods. From the aesthetic to the taste-bud experience, this was a restaurant that will repeated. Only regret is not having anything for desert.Special Features:
- Terrible Servicechigirl1111Dined on 8/31/2014The food was good, but the service made our experience there lousy. When you ask for water multiple times and then start serving it to yourself, it's a problem. I wouldn't go back, no matter how great the food was.Special Features:
- Great experience!FandWmavenDined on 8/31/2014The menu is impressive and truly has something for everyone, even if you're not a sushi fan. Our waiter was phenomenal and was clearly motivated to give us a good experience. He made suggestions we wouldn't have thought about as far as sharing items, wine pairings, and created a progressive meal for us. This was a little more pricey than we had planned, but he was mindful of keeping within our stated budget. All in all, it was a fun evening and a great experience. The only downside was that it was expensive. It was definitely an indulgent splurge. The Duck Confit Fried Rice is unbelievable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappyRougeDined on 8/30/2014I went there with good expectetions but it was a delusion. The service awful ! They forgot about us and the food wasn t good. All of these really expensive . So they were preteding to be cool but it wasn t at all.