Japonais by Morimoto
600 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Japonais by Morimoto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonaismorimoto.com/
- Phone: 3128229600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Japanese
- Executive Chef: CHEF HISANOBU OSAKA
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Japonais by Morimoto
Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu,Continued
sake and craft beers.
sake and craft beers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Japonais by Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
312 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (190)special occasion (160)hot spot (121)romantic (94)good for groups (86)vibrant bar scene (65)great for outdoor dining (54)notable wine list (42)scenic view (37)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (33)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (3)Show More
- ImpeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Sitting close to the kitchen is the best way to go so that you can see all of the fantastic dishes coming from the chef. The table service is fantastic - the waiter's descriptions of the dishes were spot on an more helpful than any other I'd received. The runners were very knowledgeable and demonstrated how to eat even the most obscure foods. From the aesthetic to the taste-bud experience, this was a restaurant that will repeated. Only regret is not having anything for desert.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014The food was good, but the service made our experience there lousy. When you ask for water multiple times and then start serving it to yourself, it's a problem. I wouldn't go back, no matter how great the food was.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014The menu is impressive and truly has something for everyone, even if you're not a sushi fan. Our waiter was phenomenal and was clearly motivated to give us a good experience. He made suggestions we wouldn't have thought about as far as sharing items, wine pairings, and created a progressive meal for us. This was a little more pricey than we had planned, but he was mindful of keeping within our stated budget. All in all, it was a fun evening and a great experience. The only downside was that it was expensive. It was definitely an indulgent splurge. The Duck Confit Fried Rice is unbelievable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I went there with good expectetions but it was a delusion. The service awful ! They forgot about us and the food wasn t good. All of these really expensive . So they were preteding to be cool but it wasn t at all.
- delicious mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014We chose Japonais at the recommendation of a friend while we were visiting Chicago. The space is beautiful and the food and cocktails were delicious and unique. We enjoyed a sampling of sushi with the guidance of our server, as well as the table side tofu and the black cod. We sat at the sushi counter and got great entertainment with our meal. The only downside was that the service was a bit slow throughout the night. All in all it was a great dinner and we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!LkkeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our dinner was delicious. The sushi was fresh, steak cooked perfectly, and wine selection divine. Our server was knowledgeable and took time explaining details about the menu. It was quite expensive but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun nightDeeBrownDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good. Atmosphere was GREAT!. Waiter kept pushing us to order more...said what we were ordering was very light. (so we ordered more, but then had a lot leftover..annoying)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japonaiscubfan1Dined on 8/23/2014Wonderful evening. Service was better than excellent. The only drawback was the noise level. It was very difficult to hear each other.Special Features:
- Great since Morimoto took overDrilldocDined on 8/23/2014My experience was vastly better than my last experience at Japonais. The sushi was fresh and not dried out, the rice was perfectly cooked and not dried out with no flavor. I questioned whether I would return after my outing last year but things have definitely improved. Service was excellent. Looking forward to trying some other dishes on the menu next time.Special Features:
- hip spot to hang outChiDKDined on 8/23/2014Food was good, drinks were strong! Waitress was nice and available when needed. Relaxed seating was fun although the stools opposite our table were uncomfortable...Special Features:
- Great foodHiddengemDined on 8/23/2014I've looked all over for a suitable restaurant that serves Japanese food and this is the first one I have found and liked. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is great. I love the bar downstairs. This place is a hidden gem. Thank you for delivering an awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional in nearly every wayMalHDined on 8/22/2014Although pricey, as expected, everything else lived up to my expectations too. Fun experience with food fit for sharing. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious!dschuDined on 8/22/2014I went with a group of 4 and we've all read and heard great things about Japonais. It definitely did not disappoint. Every single course that came out was amazing, the server was knowledgeable and helpful, and the ambiance was impressive. We got steak, sushi, shrimp, sushimi - it was all great; we wish we had room for dessert. The ingredients were fresh and you could tell it was high quality. The only thing we did not love were the drinks from their signature drink menu. We each got something different and no one was very satisfied with it; although the beer by Morimoto was very good. We hardly cared about our off drinks though because the food was too good to think twice about it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014This was the second time I have been at Japonais sine it was bought by Morimoto. And it was the second time I was disappointed. I use to love the food and energy of Japonais but it unfortunately it has changed. The variety in the menu has decreased and the room has become a little more stuffy. I will not return.Special Features:
- Good not greatMissVIPDined on 8/16/2014While the sushi was quite good (the uni was outstanding) the rest of the food was just ok. Unfortunately it did not compare to other Morimoto restaurants (Phiily and Napa.) While I probably won't go back I would still recommend someone try it at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeply DisappointedJaponaisStayAwayDined on 8/16/2014Japonais. The name. The pedigree. The reputation. Combine one of Chicago's most formidable sushi restaurants with the refined skills of Iron Chef Morimoto and you'd think the powerhouse combination would produce an unbeatable dining experience, but alas... I don't mind a lively environment, but the restaurant was so over-the-top noisy that it seemed necessary to shout, just to speak to and be heard by my wife, across the table. By the end of the evening, my ears were ringing. The waiter, who made certain that we knew he had lived in Japan for ten years... TWICE. He simply would not shut up, oversold relentlessly, so much so that we ordered the not-very-good, yet very expensive omekase just to get rid of him. All told... I won't return.
- A revamped JaponaisMameVIPDined on 8/16/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. All of fresh and creative. Sushi was lovely as was the duck inspired fried rice. Will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revamped!AskEv3Dined on 8/15/2014The newly revamped Japonais is outstanding! I loved it before, and now it has a fresh face & new menu! Just awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- huge disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014I love Morimoto in Philly and NYC as well as Japonais. This was a huge disappointment. The food was not good and the service was deplorable. We saw our server twice the entire night, once to place the original order and once for the wine order, he didn't even bring the check. The remainder of the food was brought by runners. This place is not cheap, and i have no problem spending $ on great restaurants and food, but I've had better sushi from whole foods and the other food was underwhelming
- Sushi/maki rolls need improvementLindiDined on 8/15/2014We had a nice dinner at the Blue Room river patio - and it was generally a good experience - however, the sushi rolls were average, larger/too much rice fill/loose/ flavorless - than I expect from Morimoto standard - so they were disappointing.. the sashimi platter was good selection of fresh fish -however I would add more white radish shavings than ice fill ..so value for money for a 5 star restaurant was lacking.Special Features:
- JaponaisJackDined on 8/15/2014Excellent service and food. One of the best seafood stews going. My only disappointment was that hockey season has not started so no Hawks around. Understand it is a fave hangout!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingGoodFoodBadServiceVIPDined on 8/14/2014For a chef the caliber of Morimoto I was expecting a lot more. The food was good but was not at the level of overall taste and presentation that you'd expect. I've had better overall meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayARHNashDined on 8/12/2014I felt like this place was overhyped. The menus was very pricey and our server basically told us a bunch of dishes were no good.
- Great trendy RestaurantCouplethatDinesDined on 8/10/2014My girlfriend and I had an amazing dinner there with a few exceptions. The food was amazing, the service was spot on, but it lacked a little of the Romance I was looking for as the noise level was a bit high. For casual dating dinner, I would highly recommend it. But because of the size of Restaurant, it is hard to get a table for 2 without having another couple close enough to where you hear every bit of their conversation. Unfortunately we had an extremely high pitched & annoying couple sitting next to us. It is a bit pricey, but the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service!ErinCDined on 8/10/2014Service in the downstairs lounge was atrocious. Bartender was ridiculously terrible. Seated us 30 minutes late and the restaurant was not busy. Sushi was subpar but the cod entree was good. Wouldn't recommend this restaurant...better sushi in Chicago for sure.
- Weird But GoodLizBChicagoVIPDined on 8/10/2014Tuna pizza was very good; pork gyoza very weird and not that good. Sashimi good, but we asked for sushi. So we had to ask for extra rice. Each time we ordered a glass of wine, she forgot. I won't be back soon.
- Excellent Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We were in Chicago for a few days and were looking for a place to eat. Being sushi eaters and also big fans of Iron Chef we thought we would try Japanais by Morimoto. It must have been our lucky day because we got seated at the sushi bar which we requested and none other than Masaharu Morimoto was preparing food. It was a pretty cool experience! The food was also excellent as well. We had the duck meatball soup, The Rock wagyiu beef, tuna sashimi, California roll and spicy tuna roll. I do not recall exactly what we had for dessert but it was excellent. After dinner we tried getting our picture taken but he was pretty busy at this point. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful!ZxcvDined on 8/8/2014We had a fantastic dinner at Japonais by Morimoto this weekend! Delicious cocktails were concocted and served by Ryan at the bar, then we moved on to the dining room. "The Rock" New York strip steak table grill is highly recommended! Amazing sushi selection; Creative and delicious entrees. Lush and decadent chocolate dessert. It was a lovely surprise to see Chef Morimoto in action!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did NOT disappointgeo1606Dined on 8/8/2014Our advice at this restaurant would be to order items unavailable at most sushi restaurants. In other words, the sushi was good but the other items were outstanding. On the appetizer list, the Spicy King Crab was the price of an entree, but not to be missed. Buri Bop was prepared table side in a 400 degree bowl adding flair to delicious. The other entree was a sea bass that melted in the mouth:perfectly cooked and seasoned. Our waiter, Robert, was attentive when needed, and gave brilliant recommendations. We had a delightful total experience.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Loved the food - spectacular flavors and pairings. Fun to share!Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceMiamangaDined on 8/7/2014Besides the great food, the service was outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wondeful ambiance. Mediocre Fish.HighExpectationsVIPDined on 8/7/2014Our cocktails and Saki were excellent as was the staff, but our pieces were just ok and the rolls were incredibly dry. I would return only to have drinks in the lounge and head to Macku for sushi.
- Awesome ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The overall experience was nothing less than phenomenal and that was simply because of the staff. It was the restaurant my wife chose to celebrate her birthday Everyone made you feel as though you were family or Royalty even. Everything was great but the service was truly outstanding. I will be back!!!Special Features:
- Excellent Quality SushiBeebaDined on 8/5/2014This place is great if you are looking to wow someone for a special occasion. The sushi was of great quality and absolutely delicious. However, I have eaten sushi of the same quality for a more reasonable price. The service was impeccable. Japonais is definitely a special occasion destination for people who appreciate high quality sushi, not a weekly dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfortunateblatentlyhonestDined on 8/3/2014I had heard such great things about this restaurant but was sadly disappointed as to the quality of the food and the service. The sushi was loaded with cilantro, which completely overwhelmed any flavor/freshness of the fish. The filet mignon was overcooked (medium rare came out medium well) as well. The service was slow at best and pretentious at worst with regards to the quality of the food, which was unfortunately lacking.
- RevelatoryChicagoForeverDined on 8/2/2014Impossible to articulate how good the food is now with Chef Morimoto's vision. The staff is superb- much friendlier and devoted to your dining experience. A flawless meal, beautifully executed and served. Thank you for this experience.Special Features:
- japanois from fantastic to failSharnJerDined on 8/1/2014I want to preface this review with the fact that we are huge fans of Morimoto. We've dined at morimoto in Philly, NYC...even met Chef at Tribeca Canvas. Our experience in Chicago began great even though we were seated in the back of the restaurant. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Had sake and Nardis cocktail (truffle too strong for my taste). The kimchee with pancetta and spicy tuna roll were amazing as well as the duck confit rice. Here's where it all fell apart...for the main course we ordered the yelloetail which is cooked table side. (Note that it isn't even cooked in the kitchen) we had a full 30 minutes that we waited the server asked the manager to handle our table and he dropped the ball big time Very Disappointing!!Special Features:
- Great food/mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014Great fresh unique sushi and seafood dishes. Waitstaff was pleasant, but seemed overly busy and rushed us out of there. Dessert, coffee or after dinner drinks were not offered or even mentioned - which was disappointing since it was a rare night out in the city with friends. Outdoor area has great view/scene.Special Features:
- disappointingJanetBVIPDined on 7/27/2014The sushi was very ordinary. Small plates were better. We had requested to sit outside, not realizing it was actually lounge seating. Not exactly comfortable for tall patrons. With all the hype about this restaurant, it was very disappointing.
- good dining experienceSHendoDined on 7/27/2014We enjoyed our food and service for dinner over the weekend. The waiter did a good job explaining the menu. The bar drinks were great. We just did small plates for dinner - hamachi tacos, wagu beef rock, hamchi bop bowl and some very good sashimi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.