11806 Jasper Ave
Edmonton, AB T5K 0N7Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonaisbistro.ca/
- Phone: (780) 760-1616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Isaac
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Your sushi will be delivered to your event with our sushi chef and the Mobile Sushi Bar. The bar will be set up by the accompanied staff members; our team of experienced sushi chefs will serve fresh scrumptious sushi on the Mobile Sushi Bar where sushi will go around and around. Beautifully displayed sushi will add a touch of class to your event. Your guests will not only be satisfied by the look and taste of the food, but will be stunned by the whole spectacle.
A word from Japonais Bistro
"Japonais" means Japanese in French [za.po.ne] Our focus is on modern Japanese cuisine with a touch of North American influence. We are located on Edmonton’s main street at Jasper Ave & 118 St. Japonais Bistro has created a Japanese dining experience to fit the lifestyle and feel of our city. We provide a high-energy, aesthetically contemporary environment, serving inventive Japanese food, with lively music and have selected staff who are in love with the idea of serving their guests. Our chefs create innovative and tasty dishes designed to make your mouth water and inspire you to try something new. Our use of the very freshest ingredients from all corners of the world is a part of our dedication to offering you a unique experience every time you visit us. Key ingredients are flown directly from Japan. We consider sushi to be an art form, encompassing a delicate balance of elements and like all great art, each dish is created to order and presented with the attention to detail.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Japonais Bistro - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Japonais Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (17)special occasion (15)hot spot (13)great for lunch (10)romantic (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Cool spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014This place reminds me a lot of a Japanese place I have been to in New York. Really cool vibe and fantastic food. The east meets west roll is killer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi in the citySupperclubDined on 11/13/2014In a city with very few great sushi places, this one definitely tops the list! Appies were amazing, sushi was fresh and the uniqueness of the rolls will have me craving them and coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent qualityddpdVIPDined on 11/11/2014We've been many times, and have always enjoyed. Great jazz playing in the background, tasty food beautifully presented. Service can be a bit slow when busy, but it's worth it!Special Features:
- Good Food Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014the food was very good and the service was informed and attentive we had the 5 course meal and were delighted and stuffed at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing omakase menumichellefVIPDined on 10/29/2014I tried the lunch omakase for $20. It was perfect. The chefs made an amazing grilled black cod coller and tuna tataki with oysters and a variety of salads. It was the perfect portion and I would highly recomend it to sashimi lovers bc everything was tasty and really fresh. Great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentKayeDined on 10/24/2014Enjoyed the tradition with a mordern twist take on Japanese food . The hot rock tongue and braised pork belly was excellent. The New York roll with the citrus yuzu orange just melts in your mouth. How did they manage to get yuzu juice in edmonton is already amazing. Simple flavours enhanced simply , how very Japanese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Maki rollsgigiDined on 10/17/2014Good quality fish. My standard measures (salmon nigri, unagi, nigir and tempura vegetables) are good - not better or worse than other sushi restaurants. Unfortunately, they ran out of toro (tuna belly) so I can't judge on the quality. They have creative 'house' maki rolls that tasted good, looked really nice and were a good size - pricey but a treat. You're paying for the ambiance. Service is satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Great food, great service, definetly will be returning, very affordable for the quality of service.Special Features:
- Best fish in EdmontonReviewManVIPDined on 9/22/2014The sashimi and sushi are noticeably better than in other restaurants. It's expensive but you get what you pay for. Even the Tirimisu Parfait was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food, enjoyable atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2014I went with a couple of friends for lunch and had a great experience. The ambiance was pleasant and the jazz music in the background really enjoyable. We loved that you could build your own Bento Box and the price was quite good for lunch. The food was excellent. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Slow ServiceThirstyForMoreVIPDined on 9/12/2014The best sushi in Edmonton continues to delight - the service however, is getting slower and slower. Time to sharpen the staffing pencil.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/20145th time to this restaurant. As usual one of the better sushi restaurants in edm, but the service was average at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushi ive had in awhileedmmuncherDined on 8/28/2014Definitely a hidden gem in edmonton. A must try for sushi loversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!FoodieDined on 8/2/2014Went for my sister's birthday & it was my second visit to the restaurant. Food was delicious - especially the udon with lobster & cream sauce. Sashimi was fresh, rolls and beef tataki were awesome. Loved the black sesame mochi (its an acquired taste though!). Service was excellent both times (for dinner). Give this place a try next time you are going out for Japanese food! Looking forward to trying lunch there - its a new fave place to eat :)Special Features:
- Great food!aminkusDined on 7/30/2014This was our first time at Japonais, but certainly not our last. Food was fresh, fresh, fresh and really beautifully presented. The space is really attractive, a balance of modern and rustic, with a beautiful reclaimed wood floor. Couldn't be happier with our visit.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseCraigMBDined on 7/25/2014I have never been here before, but I will definitely be back. It was a very good experience, service was great, loved the look of the place and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Japonais Bistro reviews archive.
- limallVIPDined on 7/13/2014Good food. Service has improved too which makes it nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters!ddpdVIPDined on 7/8/2014Again, great food at Japonais. Very happy to have made reservations, they were very busy!Special Features:
- Edmonton's best Japanese, JaponaisbAGGEEDined on 6/15/2014Simply the best tasting Japanese food I've had in Edmonton. Attentive service with a relaxed atmosphere; soft jazz and modern lighting does sound like it would be out of place but did make for a pleasant dining experience. A changing variety of fresh fish allows the sushi and sashimi connoisseur to have different taste experiences again and again. There are plenty of other options for those wanting variety or something other than seafood. Two of the best features are on the lunch menu; one, a special to create your own bento box. Second is my personal favourite, omakase, where the selection of food is left to the chefs and one is guaranteed to have a variety of deliciousness. Don't foget to leave room for the matcha creme brulée dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Etowns BEST Japanese - Full StopThirstyForMoreVIPDined on 6/14/2014Etowns best sushi, creative menu, and sincere, attentive service. Highly recommend, and frequent it weekly. Enjoy!
- Best Japanese in the city but.....DelishVIPDined on 6/12/2014The restaurant is very busy that the servers seemed overwhelmed and didn't pay any attention to the tables (ie, clearing dishes, offering beverages, asking how the food was).... My suggestion is to hire more staff (someone who buses tables ect). Food was great surprisingly for Edmonton. Restaurant is well designed. Service staff is nice...but they are slow and not professional or attentive simply because they are busy. For the prices they charge, I would expect better table service. I definately would go back. SIDE NOTE PARKING IS BRUTAL!
- JS3535Dined on 6/10/2014Excellent fresh sushi, good selection on the chef's choice sushiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehPenguinDined on 6/6/2014I liked the Salmon carpaccio and the shrimp and mango tempura. But the maki rolls were kind if meh. I wasn't looking forward to my next piece. The service is friendly but slow and unprofessional.
- Best Sushi I've Found in EdmontonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014Interesting sushi, especially the rolls. Love Crunch and TNT not to be missed!Special Features:
- Mother's Day SpecialReviewManVIPDined on 5/11/2014I really enjoyed the mother's day special. The fish as always was the freshest I've found in Edmonton. The beef that you can fry yourself was also top quality.Special Features:
- Fresh and tastylimallVIPDined on 5/11/2014I liked Japonais bistro because their food was fresh and delicious. They have a few innovative items as well which should please most sushi lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique menu itemsTammy1225Dined on 5/10/2014Aside from the typical sushi and tempura, Japonais Bistro offers dishes that are different than traditional Japanese restaurants in Edmonton. Some of these include tuna nachos, beef on hot stone, tuna tortillas. The price is more compared to other Japanese restaurans and they tend to portray a more upscale experience. I do find that the food takes a long time to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DBeatngDined on 5/10/2014The food was great. The service was poor. Our waitress seemed to have too many other tasks and tables top attend to.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in EdmontonThirstyForMoreVIPDined on 5/7/2014Simply THE best sushi in Edmonton with great service as a compliment. Parking is always a pain, but its worth the walk.
- Excellent SushiDuffmanVIPDined on 4/29/2014I always enjoy going here. It is one of my hidden gems for sushi.Special Features:
- sashimiJoandMikeDined on 4/25/2014We both have attended this restaurant 4 times. Excellent food experience with the superior skills of the chef behind the Sushi bar.There are so many exciting things on the menu we can't wait to try. The oysters are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service and great foodDaceraeVIPDined on 4/18/2014I do think this restaurant could use some extra servers/bussers but being short staffed did not effect us on a Saturday night as we had prompt and friendly service. The food was fresh and very tasty. Well worth a visit but do not forget to make reservations on the weekends as we watch at least 4 parties be turned away within an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!kplusDined on 3/22/2014My girlfriend and I eat here at least twice per month, probably more like 5-6 times. Just can't get enough! Yam tempura, and a beer to start, and then followed up by 3 rolls, usually Golden Crunch, Halo, and TNT. We usually leave for just under $70. And if we skip the beer, it's pretty close to $50. The first bites always make me want to close my eyes and just enjoy, and when we're done, I'm always completely satisfied, and don't feel like I'm going to leave the restaurant fatter than when I came in. Service is always excellent, quick, and if you sit at the sushi bar, you can expect a freebie here and there! There are large tables for groups.Special Features:
- Great timeWhitey780VIPDined on 3/22/2014Waitress helped pick a suitable sake which with the meal was great I'll definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average foodEdmontonionDined on 3/22/2014The portion is small, food is just average and the price is higher than average.
- Tasty and TrendyJJDECODined on 3/21/2014Very busy and bustling little place, with friendly service. Be expected to wait, however, as the service is very slow. Also, there is almost no parking available. We really enjoyed every dish ordered, and our waitress had some great suggestions. I highly recommend the new-style sashimi!andSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyJenHDined on 3/16/2014Tuna tacos are delicious! I love plum wine and they have a good variety. Lots of unique twists with Japanese favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming backGinoDined on 3/15/2014Love sushi, this restaurant has the freshest seafood. All the items I ordered were created in perfection! Only thing id say was a disappointment was that I wasn't able to book a larger reservation due to the restaurants accommodations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/13/2014We went at 16:45, we were the only 2 people in there, so we sat at the sushi bar. The chef walked us theough everything everything even though he was clearly getting ready for the evening rush. Food was great, shashimi was so good. Will go again for sure, didnt care that we were the only ones there as it was a very personal experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backFoodMom38VIPDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I tried this restaurant based on reading some positive reviews. We were not disappointed. Excellent and unique Japanese food, with very fresh ingredients. Tuna sashimi was melt in your mouth fresh. The menu was full of very interesting items and unique sushi maki rolls. The chili mango shrimp appetizer was delicious. We will definitely be back to try more of the diverse menu on offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.