927 East Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.japonbistropasadena.com/
- Phone: (626) 744-1751
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM / 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Wednesday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM / 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Thursday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM / 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM / 5:00PM - 10:30PM
Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:30PM
Sunday: 5:00PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Master Koji
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Japon Bistro can cater your next event, from large to small; from formal to casual. We offer drop-off services as well as a fully staffed event coordination. Each event is individually tailored to your specific need.
- Special Events: We host & arrange & participate in Sake & Wine Pairing Events, Festivals, Fundraisers and private parties.
A word from Japon Bistro
The award winning Japon Bistro has been serving some of the best sushi & sake in Pasadena for the last 10 years. Well known for our incredibly fresh fish & exceptional sake and savory appetizers, we have earned 2 Michelin Recommendations and have been named a top Japanese Restaurant in North America by Zagat. Please do stop by to satisfy your culinary needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Japon Bistro - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Japon Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)romantic (11)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (11)hot spot (10)good for groups (7)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent Service with a smile and sushi was freshOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014For years our standard of excellence was Kibuki. But this was much better. The service was terrific as the sushi chef was continually checking with us as was the waitress. My wife enjoyed the chicken teriyaki and tempura! Will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better but...MrQuipVIPDined on 11/15/2014Better than last time I went, but nowhere near as good as it used to be.
- Fine food,service & ambiancetufkriticDined on 10/28/2014OUR VISIT TO JAPON BISTRO RESULTED FROM A PROMOTIONAL OFFER.WE WERE PLEASED TO DISCOVER A CHARMING RESTAURANT WITH FINE FOOD AND A CONSIDEATE AND ATTENTIVE STAFF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and fried octopusswanDined on 10/25/2014We saw some types of sushi on the menu that we hadn't seen at other restaurants. The server was very good at explaining the taste of each of those unfamiliar dishes. We tried all three, they were all good and the ocean trout is a new favorite of ours that we will definitely order again when we come back. We also had the sushi dinner entree. Of course those were the more familiar types of sushi, but a nice variety. It was all fresh and the pieces of fish on the sushi were generous. The only minor complaint that I have is that a few of the sushi had wasabi on them already (between the rice and the fish). You can always add wasabi if you like it, but it's hard to take off if you don't like it, so it would be better to leave the choice to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japon Bistromusicgirl87Dined on 9/2/2014We started with an appetizer: drunken mushrooms and scallops. My husband liked it, but I was disappointed. For $11, it was boring and bland with miniature scallops. We had the sushi nigiri plates. The sushi is good; fresh and generous sized pieces. There is a bar by the front door. Some man was drunk and noisy. I don't blame the restaurant, but it wasn't pleasant.
- Kenji's PlaceKokoVIPDined on 8/24/2014This is my 3rd at Japon B.The other times were Sat night, this time Sun night.The 1st time, service was ok b/c the owner was there to make things hop.Now only 2 waitresses were there and had raise my hand like I am in class 3X, 2X to refill my tea, 1X for a doggy bag.She came back with 3 styrofoam box and she told me she will be back to bring a bag for the box that never came.Mind you, there was two waitresses and only one other table with guest.That is a 1-to-1 ratio.The owner needs to hire semi-pro staff when he is gone.The place is old and needs to have a brighter redo.The dark Japanese restaurant look is dated.New lighter paint,lighting,remove of floating dusty ceiling thing,redo bar area will freshen it up.++ for Kenji's sake flight!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/19/2014Top qualifty food; highly recommend the generous chirashi bowl and the hamachi collar.Special Features:
- Japon Bistro #1BUCKYVIPDined on 7/29/2014Dined at many Socal Japanese restaurants. I will rate Japon Bistro in top 5%. Food & service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 76 reviews are from the Japon Bistro reviews archive.
- great lunchPasadenafoodieDined on 7/25/2014We tried Japon Bistro through Dine L.A. We Love, Love, Loved it! Plan to return soon. We went for a late lunch on Friday and both the service and food was great. The special Dine LA menu had a great offering and we could barely finish all that we ordered. The sushi and sashimi literally melted in our mouths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014This is one of our favorite sushi places. Never a disappointment.Special Features:
- Good tasting JapaneseAshKashVIPDined on 7/3/2014This bistro in downtown Pasadena has some great lunch specials that include soup, salad, rice and entrees. They also have a great selection of sushi and sashimi. One of my favorites is the Southwestern roll, which has just the right amount of spicy flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishArostarDined on 6/27/2014The chef made even my favorite dish better than I have ever had it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu IncompleteMoonshadow46Dined on 6/27/2014The waiter/waitress are nice and friendly, and the recommandation is also good. Only thing to improve I believe is to add the desert menu onto it. Without some desert, the great dinner seems incomplete, feels like something is missing to make the experience perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kristina041Dined on 6/18/2014the service was very good. however, the sushi was not fresh. only the salmon was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go for the fish, stay for the sakeSarahFeDined on 6/15/2014recently took several friends to celebrate their June birthdays. I was a bit concerned at first as there weren't many other patrons and the menu had changed since the last time we visited. The sushi, however, did not disappoint.. in fact, one friend asked "who does he sleep with to get this kind of fish." They bring out the most amazing flavors in the fish, no extra sauce or adornment needed. Plus, Sapporo on draft, and the range of sake offerings are beyond compare in Pasadena. This is our "special occasion" sushi place, and we always leave happy and satisfied.Special Features:
- Great foodHungryDined on 6/12/2014Fresh fish, good presentation, good service. Couldn't ask for more.Special Features:
- OK Place with Decent PricesLoveVegasDined on 6/10/2014It was an okay place. The food was not noteworthy. Good service. Prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- musicgirl87Dined on 5/27/2014This is the first time we ate at Japon Bistro. The food was good. We had the Sushi Plates.
- Fabulous discovery!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/22/2014I was so pleased at discovering this place. Delicious food and good sized cuts of fish. Out of uni, but that's okay! Enjoyed it very much.
- How lucky we were!WestDined on 5/2/2014If not for Restaurantweek, we might never have eaten at Japon Bistro, but we'll definitely return! The food was amazing, the service impeccable - even though we had to ask specifically for the 'cheap' Restaurantweek menu. We enspecially enjoyed the garlic edamame, the koji tower and the pairing of sake. Even though I try to order different things when I return to a restaurant, I will eat the Pasadena roll again: it was sooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is the vibeAnaDVIPDined on 4/30/2014This restaurant is dark on the inside and so is the ambience, the food is ok to good, not much work is put in to making each sushi piece memorable. hand rolls without cucumber, and color. The service is great and attentive, hope it works on its aura, would like to see it come back to life.
- Lunchtime LooniesAshKashVIPDined on 4/30/2014Booked a last minute reservation to get the 100 points. Service was OK, and took a few minutes just to get the attention of someone to seat us. The servers seemed discombobulated, the hot tea I ordered was luke warm and took several minutes to get the attention of a different server. Overall the food was tasty, but if you're in a rush, be cautious if it takes several minutes just to get seated, even when there aren't too many patrons in there.Special Features:
- Travel Zoo findDontBeAJerkDinerDined on 3/28/2014Travel Zoo was the reason we all ended up there. We will definitely return! Very attentive staff, delicious food and a lovely decor. Very quiet, which is great for a romantic date.Special Features:
- The Sushi is incredibly Fresh,CHIQUIBABYLAVIPDined on 3/4/2014The Sushi is incredibly Fresh, the location is not the best, its kind of hidden, but food its Very good and service super ! so far in Pasadena de BEST sushi ive had and very affordable !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fooddanpau98VIPDined on 2/23/2014Nice place, great food. Just had to wait a bit to be seated. Nice staff.Special Features:
- Had an enjoyable Omakase dinnerreviewVIPDined on 2/23/2014Had an enjoyable Omakase dinner here. Fun to see what was presented to us since we did not do the ordering. Sad part is we were served our last dish and did not know it until we were done and was told that was your last course. It would have been nice to know up front that we were getting 5 courses and when the last one came to know it so not try and rush through it thinking something else was coming. Other than that we had an enjoyable dinner.
- Getting someone to give usOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/23/2014Getting someone to give us water and the menu took quite a long time. Although when service finally got started it got better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...VdDinnerDined on 2/14/2014The food was well made, not the best...but ok. We had three different servers, which was confusing. The first was unbelievably rude, she obviously disliked her job. The second was fine, normal level of interaction. The third was really nice and bubbly. We got lucky that the third was the one that stuck with us. The poor table beside us got the grinch... I felt really bad for them, you could tell she managed to ruin their meal. Try it out for a quick lunch, but find a better place for a date or a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Pleasant lunchdknoxDined on 1/30/2014Sushi and sashimi were very fresh. After spilling a glass of sake, the waiter made amends in grand style. We had a very pleasant lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- King of MediocrityKatyDined on 1/21/2014The food was worse than mediocre. The Spicy Tuna rolls at Albertson's have more flavor. The Yellowtail sashimi was very good but that and the sake were the only things worth commenting on. We were so frustrated to be stuck with such a huge bill after that meal, especially since we drove out from West LA for DineLA. The service was fine but please, hire a new sushi chef to design you some rolls with flavor! My tuna sashimi tasted a little fishy too- a major no-no! I don't consider myself a sushi snob but tempura and soy sauce can not cover up poor design with what was probably sub-par ingredients. I will never be back.
- omakaseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014very stingy on the serving. mediocre food. nothing to rave about this restaurant.
- The restaurant was mostlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2014The restaurant was mostly empty, but our reservation wasn't enough to get a table because other reservations were coming later ("we only reserve at the 30 minutes"). Put in the corner instead with food coming out in a trickle, with the hot dish arriving 20 minutes before the sushi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingLauraDined on 1/5/2014A nice little place with some interesting house special rolls. No cocktails/wine or anything beyond beer and sake though. I think they were short staffed during our visit because the service was incredibly slow. Not a bad Japanese restaurant overall, but not really remarkable in any way either.
- Needs more quantity.JaawwshDined on 1/3/2014I ordered the beef tataki, but I felt that its quantity was really small. If it was a expensive part of the cow, I wouldn't have been able to tell. I'd rather it be chuck, but more, rather than any expensive type of meat. Overall the rolls were pretty good and the Yuzu Chicken was good, but I felt that they should label it as spicy or not spicy since my girlfriend doesn't eat spicy food. Also there's a lot of lemon added to every dish.
- overpriced for average sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/27/2013high end priced sushi for average flavors. bought a travelzoo voucher for omakase for 2. our party of 4 ordered extra food. no one was impressed with food quality. service was excellent, however. sorry. can't recommend this place to others.
- Never a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/26/2013Always great food an service. We are long time repeat customers.Special Features:
- Good food but somewhat disorganizedInfrequentRegularDined on 11/22/2013The food, especially the sushi, is very good. No complaints there. It's the service that leaves a little to be desired. Sure, the people are nice, and attentive, but they seem not to communicate with each other very well. We've had our order taken twice, drink orders asked for with drinks freshly on the table, etc. We typically order sushi, a bento for the girl, and when other folks are along, an entree or two. While it isn't super-common for sushi restaurants to time delivery of food tightly, the pacing of delivery is strange. No two things arrive at the same time, even entrees. I still love this place. Just don't ask for anything complicated. Or if you're into sushi, sit at the bar where you can speak directly to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Find!KimADined on 11/16/2013We happened to find this restaurant through a deal from Travelzoo. The food was excellent! We couldn't get enough of the garlic edamame or the southwest roll! Service was great and it was a perfect location to go to the Ice House afterward. We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Quality and Fantastic OwnerVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 10/2/2013It had been a while since I had dined at Japon Bistro. Recently remodeled, looks great. Greeted personally by the owner. Everyone in my party enjoyed their meal. We all ordered seafood salads and rolls. However, the table next to us ordered the Tempura Lunch and it really looked amazing. Next Time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was ok, went on TravelZoozyggroupVIPDined on 9/19/2013The food was ok, went on TravelZoo special. A word of advice; clean the sushi bar-it was so dusty and grimy it was embarrassing.