Japengo - Maui
200 Nohea Kai Dr
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Japengo - Maui
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japengomaui.com/
- Phone: 8086674796x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Lounge 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Restaurant Chef Gevin Utrillo/Sushi Chef Il Yuk “KAZ” Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We specialize in intimate private parties up to 50 people
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Murphy 8086674796x
- Entertainment: 7 nights per week from 5:30pm-7:30pm located in the bar/cocktail lounge
A word from Japengo - Maui
A sophisticated dining experience, Japengo draws on Hawaii’s freshest, locally grown products coupled with exotic ingredients from Pacific Rim countries. Located lobby level, guests can enjoy Japengo’s indoor and outdoor patio seating overlooking resorts waterfalls and famed Ka’anapali Beach, or watch as creative sushi is rolled to order in the chic Sushi Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Japengo - Maui - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Japengo - Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (79)great for outdoor dining (71)romantic (68)special occasion (61)fit for foodies (51)hot spot (20)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (13)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- DannyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014A great restaurant with a romantic view. the service has always been outstanding and friendly. Love to have a drink and some sushi before getting dinner. The ribeye steak was the most tender cut of meat that i ever had, i could cut it with my fork. will definitely return.Special Features:
- Good foodBkrGrlDined on 10/16/2014Nice spot with a scenic view for a late evening romantic meal to watch the sunset. It is an expensive place to eat for a special occasion. It has the sound of waterfalls from the Hyatt Regency's swimming pool waterfalls, and the small breakers crashing on the beach. We shared the dragon roll sushi and the stirfry vegetables with tofu. The food was good. My husband would not recommend the watermelon cocktail drink. He said it was horrible. Oh, there was also live music playing in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but not memorableJimSJVIPDined on 10/11/2014Wines by the glass were limited, and middle of the roadSpecial Features:
- Fantastic View,Food ,ServiceDebraVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was great we had the Hamachi Kama, the Swat Roll, the Dragon Roll ( Huge) , the Special for the night and dessert all was great the service was great the view the drinks. In face it was so good I went again another night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset Maui dining at its best!KSM1VIPDined on 10/10/2014We first visited Japengo several years ago, and had excellent sushi. Since we were staying nearby, we decided to walk along the beach and have a sunset dining experience. We had reservations for 5:45 pm and literally got the best table in the house...or I should say on the outdoor patio overlooking the ocean. The sun took its time setting, and we took our time dining. The Korean seafood pancake was a delightful surprise, full of calamari, shrimp, green onions and a slight spicy kick. Really too much for 2 people as an appetizer, but we wanted to try new flavors. The sushi was fresh, tasty and visually stunning. The servers were patient, and didn't rush us. We finished with an amazing dessert of Portuguese donuts with 3 sauces! Incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinner with a viewMLE9111VIPDined on 10/7/2014Japengo was a fantastic experience! The sushi was unbelievable and the service was outstanding. We had a table right on the edge of the restaurant overlooking the ocean. I would come back here in a heartbeat, even if I wasn't staying at the Hyatt.Special Features:
- Lovely!foodblissDined on 10/4/2014The staff was amazing! The ambience was fantastic. I wasn't fond of the country music playing in a Sushi restaurant a bit too loud but the staff was willing to adjust to make the dining area happy. The food was excellent. The appetizers are to die for. Nice presentation for sure! Comfortable atmosphere and beautiful view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & View, Terrible Servicecarson6768Dined on 10/4/2014The food was absolutely amazing. The sushi was so fresh it practically melted in our mouths like butter. The view was fantastic right by the ocean. The service was awful. She took 20 minutes to come back every time between greeting us, taking our drink order, taking the order for appetizers, taking our order for the entrees. Then, she forgot part of the order. Then she asked if I wanted a second of the drink I was having and brought me the wrong one. The only positive for the service was that she gave us that extra drink I didn't order for free and gave us the food she forgot free without me saying anything. I'd come back, but only because the food was so good and the view was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KanoelehuaDined on 10/4/2014Excited to try here after a few friends said this restaurant was good. Food was good but felt it was too pricey. Even the drinks. We sat in the corner which had a very nice view but felt forgotten because we had to wave our server down. Wanted a great dessert but was let down from the small choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Sunset DinnersComingbackforsureDined on 10/3/2014Great menu variety - we used the many small plates approach and were fortunate and impressed by all except the duck meatballs which were just too heavy for the rest of the light/fresh veggie/seafood items we ordered and the environment (warm outside sunset dinner on Maui). The sushi and rolls were top notch and, relatively, well priced for hand cut in a hotel restaurant in Hawaii (where everything can be expensive) If you're hungry, stick with the rolls, very generous 8 piece cuts. Many items are available as half orders and we be recommended for couples looking to explore new food. Overall worthwhile experience. We were not staying at the Hyatt and used the valet (complimentary if you validate at restaurant). We will returnSpecial Features:
- amazing view and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014The food, service and view were amazing here! We had the blackened ahi roll, eel and avocado roll and rainbow roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The dinner was very good and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a vieworegonVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great outside dining along with very good selection of fresh fish.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant!HappyFIshVIPDined on 9/18/2014We were seated in the front row, over-looking the ocean and sunset. It was a beautiful setting to start things off. Then we were treated great by our server, Joey. He explained the menu well and helped us pick some amazing sushi rolls and entrees. This was the best meal we had on our 6 week trip. The sushi is the most fresh you can find and the fish entrees (mahi-mahi and salmon) were amazing. We chose to get the smaller portions and order more items, which was the way to go as we had to get dessert as well. Desserts were just as good as the first and second courses. The lavender scone shortcake was perfect! The guava cheesecake and Kaanapali pie were delicious as well. You MUST try this restaurant next time you are on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful sunsetAsI415VIPDined on 9/17/2014We had to try this place while visiting Maui since the reviews were good. We arrived at 6pm and was seated with an ocean view. We were able to watch the sunset. The service here is great! Now on to the food... not sure what everyone was raving about. Everything was just ok and really overpriced. Then again it is located at the Hyatt Hotel.Special Features:
- Top notchOnvacationDined on 9/16/2014Everything from the moment we walked in was perfect. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and were sat a one of the best tables for the sunset and told to feel free to walk around for pictures. We were never rushed. Our server, Wayne, was excellent. He had a sense of humor and personality yet was professional. He recommended out appetizer and both of our entrees. They were excellent (as I am sure everything else is as well). We both only ate half of our meals and took the rest for the next night (prices were up there, but they didn't skimp on portions-well worth every penny).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sunset viewPowayL4Dined on 9/9/2014The view was great. The service was good. The food was ok. We have eaten here in the past and the food was much better then. The ribs didn't have much flavor. The salad was good. The tengu was good, not great. For the price of the food we expect much better food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NinailicVIPDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I loved it and went back the evening after. Great food, fresh and light, unique wonderful flavors. Beautiful views and modern design. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great viewalkoiv24VIPDined on 9/1/2014Dinner here was very good and the sunset from the table was excellent.Special Features:
- Good Sushi and entreesCostaDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed fresh sushi along with drinks at the bar one night - delicious. Another visit we did the pre - fixed 4 course dinner. Great value and perfect portions. Not bad for a restaurant in the Hyatt. We tend to prefer locally owned restaurants and unique menus, but this did not disappoint. It does not stay open later either, like most restaurants in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SukiDined on 8/27/2014Great food, setting & service. Will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, good service, meh sushiBrianSDined on 8/27/2014The view is breathtaking and the service is very good. My fiancé and I were celebrating our honeymoon. Thus, we wanted a romantic table at sunset. The Japengo staff did an awesome job of finding us a great table. We wanted to love Japengo; however, the sushi list lacked variety. Also, the choices included a lot of fried seafood. We would possibly go again, but only for the view and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Always a pleasure, Japango is one of the best dining spots in Maui...service is superb, the food is excellent with many items offered with a lesser price on smaller portions that are ideal for sharing. High five to Japengo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rolls are perfectShadowDined on 8/15/2014The California roll and spicy tuna roll are on par to any of the best Japanese restaurants in Seattle. I hope Japengo opens a restaurant in Bellevue WA. Thanks for the perfect evening and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overlooked Sushi BarDenverTravelerVIPDined on 8/12/2014While the crowds go up the road to Sansei, treat yourself to this super friendly sushi bar. The Itamae here can serve up the traditional sashimi or nigiri with the best, or make something very tasty and unusual for the more adventurous. Just say "Omakase" and enjoy the ride!Special Features:
- Japengo Funluvfood22Dined on 8/8/2014First time here an was already stunned by the amazing view from the table. The service was decent, water was always filled. In regards to the sushi, the rolls were pretty good. Shrimp tempura was fine had plenty of that in California. The dragon roll was very filling and tasty. Spicy tuna roll was the star because it ha enough heat that didnt overpower the taste of the tuna. Sashimi was amazing. The salmon and ahi ahi were fresh and melts in your mouth. For dessert we got the malasadas. It was ok. Denser than the ones you would get from Yipee's but the yuzu sauce and the Kona chocolate sauce were tasty. Overall it was a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience lost with H'cane IselleRodneyfromNJDined on 8/7/2014Meal may have been better if not for storm closing in, so restaurant that is normally an open space was closed off, that is half the experience. Food was okay - short rib was somewhat over cooked and dry.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experiencevisitorDined on 8/6/2014What a find! The atmosphere, the service and the food is all top notch. We enjoyed the assorted sushi rolls,with great suggestions from our server. We are going back.Special Features:
- Best sushi everZeusylocks11Dined on 8/5/2014Definitely the best sushi we have ever had. It literally melts in your mouth. We both agreed that we would come back on our next trip even if we were staying an hour away. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable!UTFoodieDined on 8/4/2014Great Food! Great Service! Unforgettable Sunset! Amazing place to celebrate a special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014There is a wide variety of Asian dishes offered here. The staff is very friendly. The bar is lively and friendly too. This is a very popular restaurant and is located in the Hyatt hotel. Definitely make a reservation before you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, quality presentationAlwayshungryDined on 8/1/2014Awesome staff! The fantastic, elevated beach scenery for sunset viewing (while having a glass of wine) was amazing. The pork was a little too salty so that's why 4 stars but still edible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceMauidiningDined on 7/31/2014Great food, the sushi roll was delicious and our server was very friendly and knowledgable. Would definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommend JapengoCelesteDined on 7/20/2014My family & I were in Maui for almost 2 weeks. Since we stayed at the Mariott along the boardwalk we enjoyed walking to dinner every night. Early on in the trip we heard that Japengo was the top rated restaurant for sushi. We were not disappointed. We enjoyed the food so much that we went back 2 more times. Twice we had Dave as our server and he was efficient and knew about everything on the menu. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Hands down, best dinner in Maui.JennyDVIPDined on 7/20/2014We tried Japengo after reading the OT reviews, all positive and decided to give it a try even though we weren't sure about a hotel restaurant. We need not have been concerned, Japengo is gorgeous. The decor and views are spectacular, particurlarly at sunset and the entire staff so friendly. Live music and cocktails were amazing and the sushi could not have been more fresh. My husband had the Manilla Clams to start and the broth was so good we wanted to drink it. The Pho was some of the best we have had and our server, Bobby was impeccable. We loved our dinner so much we are going back tonight, which we almost never do when on vacation. Best dinner we had in Maui, by far and happy to enjoy our last dinner on the island there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food! Joey is the manDakineRaulDined on 7/19/2014If you love sushi, this place is awesome. It's got an open view to the ocean and beautiful Maui sunsets. Joey was our server and was able to provide exceptional service. He was also able to make great recommendations. The Alaskan Cod appetizer was to die for. There was also an appetizer with hamachi, watermelon and lychee fruit pearls that was super tasty. Presentation was fantastic, I had to take pictures. We loved it! Thanks Joey!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Another Day in ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Having always been a major sushi fan, I was hoping that the offerings would not disappoint. They didn't. As fabulous as the sushi (and presentation) was, the icing on the cake was the beautiful oceanside view and the exceptional, friendly service. Fine dining al fresco, beachside in Maui at sunset. All-in-all, this was an exceptional dining experience on all levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi restaurantCaliforniaof5Dined on 7/14/2014Looking for a great sushi restaurant in the area of our resort and we were pointed in this direction. We were not disappointed and will return during our next visit to maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely diningtessatwoDined on 7/13/2014We enjoyed our visit and the food was excellent. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencePHcoupleVIPDined on 7/11/2014Had sushi selections with family, several had cooked selections, all superb, fresh, innovative. Plus a beautiful setting by the oceanSpecial Features: