Japengo - Maui
200 Nohea Kai Dr
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Japengo - Maui
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japengomaui.com/
- Phone: (808) 667-4796
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Lounge 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Restaurant Chef Gevin Utrillo/Sushi Chef Il Yuk “KAZ” Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We specialize in intimate private parties up to 50 people
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Murphy 8086674796x
- Entertainment: 7 nights per week from 5:30pm-7:30pm located in the bar/cocktail lounge
A word from Japengo - Maui
A sophisticated dining experience, Japengo draws on Hawaii’s freshest, locally grown products coupled with exotic ingredients from Pacific Rim countries. Located lobby level, guests can enjoy Japengo’s indoor and outdoor patio seating overlooking resorts waterfalls and famed Ka’anapali Beach, or watch as creative sushi is rolled to order in the chic Sushi Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Japengo - Maui - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Japengo - Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (84)great for outdoor dining (77)romantic (68)special occasion (58)fit for foodies (55)hot spot (20)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (16)neighborhood gem (10)late-night find (9)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014We were seated immediately and greeted by our server who recommended some cocktails. The drinks were great and the food was awesome. We had always eaten at another sushi restaurant on the island and wanted to try something new. The sushi rolls were off the charts delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japengo has it allMauiIibbyVIPDined on 11/22/2014Great view for sunset lovers, fabulous fresh entrees, thoughtful quantity and serving options of half servings making great opportunities for sharing different dishes with dining options, and superb wait staff who are appropriately friendly and exceptionally helpful and efficient. One of our favorites on Maui's beautiful West side.Special Features:
- Great food with heavenly viewsMsRoxieVIPDined on 11/22/2014Both the food and the ocean views are wonderful here. The menu is filled with Asian-inspired seafood gems. It'd be great fun with a group since there are so many creative options. However, the lovely views and the fact that tables are nicely spaced to allow for intimate conversation make a wonderful date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxingJLeeDined on 11/20/2014Our server was very knowledgeable and friendly. The environment was relaxing and romantic, but fine for family and friends as well. The food was really good and not too expensive, which is what we had heard before going there. Loved the modern finishes and dim lighting. It was neat to hear the ocean in the background and overlook the pool as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok this timeznutsDined on 11/20/2014this was my second time eating here. The first time was amazing and this time was average at best. It was so loud due to the huge group of obnoxious people and their kids. That was no fault of the restaurant though. The service was slow and we waited long time for even some water. I would try it again though. The sushi really is great thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening under the starsWaileaWahineVIPDined on 11/17/2014A bit difficult to find but worth the effort! Get a table under the sky. We were seated under the roof initially and it was a bit loud and close to other tables. The outside tables were great. Food excellent with a few reasonably priced options (by resort standards). Wine by the glass list was limited but ok. Overall quite happy and will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in lahainaLuv2eatinmauiDined on 11/5/2014I love Japengo the service is great the food menu is awesome but I especially go there for the sushi! Brian and the other sushi chefs are masters at inventing new rolls and rolls on the menu are the best I've ever had on the west side, I would highly recommend Japengo for anyone looking for sushi or even just great food service & ambiance!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Restaurantluv2eatVIPDined on 11/4/2014This restaurant is a great find. Food and service was excellent. The views were breathtaking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appsWeLoveDrewDined on 11/1/2014The calamari and clam apps were spectacular! The asparagus side was yummy. The mani mahi entree was overl cooked and very dry and a disappointment. The ribeye was good. All in all the apps / sides were delicious but the entrees were subpar and we expected more for the hefty price point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ocean Front Romantic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014I made this reservation for my wife's birthday based on a referral of a Maui native professional and from the moment of arrival to the second of departure, this dining experience was one of the best experiences my wife and I have had based on all dining delights in the world. We started with happy hour in your charming cocktail outdoor seating area with wine and appetizers, while being seranaded by your very talented young man entertainer. We were received in the dining outdoor area by Joey, our waiter, who was an absolute gentleman and outstanding waiter. To top off the night, my camera wasn't working and Natalie, assistant manager, came along and offered to take a picture of my wife and I and she emailed it to me.Special Features:
- MehJamersDined on 10/31/2014We went to Japengo because we were told it was the number 2 sushi restaurant in Maui. We're really wondering what that was based on because we left unimpressed. I would say the food is average--it seemed fresh and was prepared well, but it was nothing out of this world special, and for the price we paid, I would have expected at least one of our dishes to come with a wow factor. Visit Star Noodle instead. Even though it is a little off the beaten path, they have exceptional food and flavors, amazing staff. We liked them so much we ate there 3 times during our stay in Maui.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2014Service not as good as expected as we seemed to be ignored in the bar to have a drink and appetizer before dinner. Then at the table, the lighting was a bit too low as some could hardly see menu. Order got screwed up for one person and he finally got his food when the rest were finishing up. Overall the food was ok for being as expensive as it was. Great spot for a drink and maybe an appetizer as the views are great! Pass on dinner as you can get better food and service elsewhere.Special Features:
- Great View and good sushihawaiiDined on 10/23/2014We had the Japengo Roll and the crab smelled terrible on the inside of roll the rest of the roll was flavored well and loved the sauce. The sushi,maguro,yellowfin,and amberjack, eel, was excellent! The view and service here are above average.Special Features:
- Sample the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/21/2014We had great service! Our server recommended we do half portions to sample more items on the menu-it was so worth it! The Duck meatballs and ahi hamachi were unforgettable. The outdoor seating was very romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent viewDiner88829Dined on 10/21/2014Sushi was good, our dinners were fair. Service was super, super slow and our waiter seemed "new"... 20 min for each drink to come , 40 min for the appetizer than another 20 min for a second drink. Dinner was in a timely manner, our food appeared faster than our drinks. They did give us a free dessert for our long wait. The view and outdoor dining was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/19/2014We had a wonderful sushi meal here. Located on the grounds of the Hyatt Regency Resort. Nice sushi, very pleasant outdoor (covered) seating and outstanding service.Special Features:
- DannylocaleaterDined on 10/17/2014A great restaurant with a romantic view. the service has always been outstanding and friendly. Love to have a drink and some sushi before getting dinner. The ribeye steak was the most tender cut of meat that i ever had, i could cut it with my fork. will definitely return.Special Features:
- So RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014The food was awesome... the atmosphere so romantic with the sunset view. Would definitely recommend the sushi - lots of choices and everything we've had here is prepared to perfection and so delicious.Special Features:
- Good foodBkrGrlDined on 10/16/2014Nice spot with a scenic view for a late evening romantic meal to watch the sunset. It is an expensive place to eat for a special occasion. It has the sound of waterfalls from the Hyatt Regency's swimming pool waterfalls, and the small breakers crashing on the beach. We shared the dragon roll sushi and the stirfry vegetables with tofu. The food was good. My husband would not recommend the watermelon cocktail drink. He said it was horrible. Oh, there was also live music playing in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but not memorableJimSJVIPDined on 10/11/2014Wines by the glass were limited, and middle of the roadSpecial Features:
- Fantastic View,Food ,ServiceDebraVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was great we had the Hamachi Kama, the Swat Roll, the Dragon Roll ( Huge) , the Special for the night and dessert all was great the service was great the view the drinks. In face it was so good I went again another night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset Maui dining at its best!KSM1VIPDined on 10/10/2014We first visited Japengo several years ago, and had excellent sushi. Since we were staying nearby, we decided to walk along the beach and have a sunset dining experience. We had reservations for 5:45 pm and literally got the best table in the house...or I should say on the outdoor patio overlooking the ocean. The sun took its time setting, and we took our time dining. The Korean seafood pancake was a delightful surprise, full of calamari, shrimp, green onions and a slight spicy kick. Really too much for 2 people as an appetizer, but we wanted to try new flavors. The sushi was fresh, tasty and visually stunning. The servers were patient, and didn't rush us. We finished with an amazing dessert of Portuguese donuts with 3 sauces! Incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinner with a viewMLE9111VIPDined on 10/7/2014Japengo was a fantastic experience! The sushi was unbelievable and the service was outstanding. We had a table right on the edge of the restaurant overlooking the ocean. I would come back here in a heartbeat, even if I wasn't staying at the Hyatt.Special Features:
- Lovely!foodblissDined on 10/4/2014The staff was amazing! The ambience was fantastic. I wasn't fond of the country music playing in a Sushi restaurant a bit too loud but the staff was willing to adjust to make the dining area happy. The food was excellent. The appetizers are to die for. Nice presentation for sure! Comfortable atmosphere and beautiful view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & View, Terrible Servicecarson6768Dined on 10/4/2014The food was absolutely amazing. The sushi was so fresh it practically melted in our mouths like butter. The view was fantastic right by the ocean. The service was awful. She took 20 minutes to come back every time between greeting us, taking our drink order, taking the order for appetizers, taking our order for the entrees. Then, she forgot part of the order. Then she asked if I wanted a second of the drink I was having and brought me the wrong one. The only positive for the service was that she gave us that extra drink I didn't order for free and gave us the food she forgot free without me saying anything. I'd come back, but only because the food was so good and the view was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KanoelehuaDined on 10/4/2014Excited to try here after a few friends said this restaurant was good. Food was good but felt it was too pricey. Even the drinks. We sat in the corner which had a very nice view but felt forgotten because we had to wave our server down. Wanted a great dessert but was let down from the small choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Sunset DinnersComingbackforsureDined on 10/3/2014Great menu variety - we used the many small plates approach and were fortunate and impressed by all except the duck meatballs which were just too heavy for the rest of the light/fresh veggie/seafood items we ordered and the environment (warm outside sunset dinner on Maui). The sushi and rolls were top notch and, relatively, well priced for hand cut in a hotel restaurant in Hawaii (where everything can be expensive) If you're hungry, stick with the rolls, very generous 8 piece cuts. Many items are available as half orders and we be recommended for couples looking to explore new food. Overall worthwhile experience. We were not staying at the Hyatt and used the valet (complimentary if you validate at restaurant). We will returnSpecial Features:
- amazing view and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014The food, service and view were amazing here! We had the blackened ahi roll, eel and avocado roll and rainbow roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The dinner was very good and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a vieworegonVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great outside dining along with very good selection of fresh fish.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant!HappyFIshVIPDined on 9/18/2014We were seated in the front row, over-looking the ocean and sunset. It was a beautiful setting to start things off. Then we were treated great by our server, Joey. He explained the menu well and helped us pick some amazing sushi rolls and entrees. This was the best meal we had on our 6 week trip. The sushi is the most fresh you can find and the fish entrees (mahi-mahi and salmon) were amazing. We chose to get the smaller portions and order more items, which was the way to go as we had to get dessert as well. Desserts were just as good as the first and second courses. The lavender scone shortcake was perfect! The guava cheesecake and Kaanapali pie were delicious as well. You MUST try this restaurant next time you are on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful sunsetAsI415VIPDined on 9/17/2014We had to try this place while visiting Maui since the reviews were good. We arrived at 6pm and was seated with an ocean view. We were able to watch the sunset. The service here is great! Now on to the food... not sure what everyone was raving about. Everything was just ok and really overpriced. Then again it is located at the Hyatt Hotel.Special Features:
- Top notchOnvacationDined on 9/16/2014Everything from the moment we walked in was perfect. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and were sat a one of the best tables for the sunset and told to feel free to walk around for pictures. We were never rushed. Our server, Wayne, was excellent. He had a sense of humor and personality yet was professional. He recommended out appetizer and both of our entrees. They were excellent (as I am sure everything else is as well). We both only ate half of our meals and took the rest for the next night (prices were up there, but they didn't skimp on portions-well worth every penny).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sunset viewPowayL4Dined on 9/9/2014The view was great. The service was good. The food was ok. We have eaten here in the past and the food was much better then. The ribs didn't have much flavor. The salad was good. The tengu was good, not great. For the price of the food we expect much better food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NinailicVIPDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I loved it and went back the evening after. Great food, fresh and light, unique wonderful flavors. Beautiful views and modern design. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great viewalkoiv24VIPDined on 9/1/2014Dinner here was very good and the sunset from the table was excellent.Special Features:
- Good Sushi and entreesCostaDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed fresh sushi along with drinks at the bar one night - delicious. Another visit we did the pre - fixed 4 course dinner. Great value and perfect portions. Not bad for a restaurant in the Hyatt. We tend to prefer locally owned restaurants and unique menus, but this did not disappoint. It does not stay open later either, like most restaurants in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SukiDined on 8/27/2014Great food, setting & service. Will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, good service, meh sushiBrianSDined on 8/27/2014The view is breathtaking and the service is very good. My fiancé and I were celebrating our honeymoon. Thus, we wanted a romantic table at sunset. The Japengo staff did an awesome job of finding us a great table. We wanted to love Japengo; however, the sushi list lacked variety. Also, the choices included a lot of fried seafood. We would possibly go again, but only for the view and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Always a pleasure, Japango is one of the best dining spots in Maui...service is superb, the food is excellent with many items offered with a lesser price on smaller portions that are ideal for sharing. High five to Japengo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.